ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:
Truckload of manure....your neighbors will love you!

In Queens, when the cow barn was still there, they gave away manure. Only problem was, everyone's gardens were measured in feet and inches. I have no clue what they did with most of it.

LOL. In WA, our house had a huge hill on one side that we were trying to cover in ivy. For 2 years, it never really took off so we decided to lay down manure. It was a very large area. Whew, did the neighborhood stink when the sun came out. We had so much left over that we put it on all of our landscape beds. It actually turned out really nice because it was a dark color and didn't fade the way cedar chips do. Plants grew like crazy that year. A couple neighbors did it the next year.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
dontwantaname wrote:
Truckload of manure....your neighbors will love you!

They won't smell anything. The manure is well composted, so all of the really fresh stuff that makes manure-stink is long gone. Besides, horse manure is a little less rank than cow manure.

acemom wrote:
Sounds good....I am nowhere near the gardener you are, but then not much grows here in the woods. Well, except for natural stuff. We used to have lilies-of-the-valley growing wild, but acedad dug them up when he enlarged the pond.
i have pretty ferns that grow in the low and shady areas. In the spring I have a lot of little pink-and-white blossoms everywhere on the ground. And there are areas that have what look like miniature umbrella trees for a week or 2 in the spring.

I'm not that much of a gardener, but I'm trying really hard. Now that my father can no longer putter around the yard and garden like he loved to do, I feel like I should keep it going. I'd like him to see that his labors were not for nothing.

I've got something that grows out of the lawn all over in spring (but darned if I know the name ... some little bulb with small blue and white flowers), and they seem to sprout out of a wide area for a short time between now and Easter. They just get mowed from that point onward.

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
gwp wrote:

I'm not that much of a gardener, but I'm trying really hard. Now that my father can no longer putter around the yard and garden like he loved to do, I feel like I should keep it going. I'd like him to see that his labors were not for nothing.

I've got something that grows out of the lawn all over in spring (but darned if I know the name ... some little bulb with small blue and white flowers), and they seem to sprout out of a wide area for a short time between now and Easter. They just get mowed from that point onward.

Hmm... I've never seen that flower, I don't think.
Could you take a pic of it when it shows up so I can see it?
I will take pics of some of the stuff that grows naturally here. When I was outside today, I saw that many of the undergroWhat tastes funny?h and bushes in the woods have tiny green leaves, and my lilacs have little leaves too!!
I am so happy the nicer weather is here!!

gwp

acemom wrote:
Hmm... I've never seen that flower, I don't think.
Could you take a pic of it when it shows up so I can see it?
I will take pics of some of the stuff that grows naturally here. When I was outside today, I saw that many of the undergroWhat tastes funny?h and bushes in the woods have tiny green leaves, and my lilacs have little leaves too!!
I am so happy the nicer weather is here!!

Yeah, I will. Should have had the camera out there with me today. There's a few that have popped above the grass already. I dug out a garden in the fall and saved as many of them as I could sift out of the soil, and buried them in a big pile of wood chips for the winter. I'll try to find a good place to plant them later. I've been told that the reason they show up all over the lawn is because the squirrels dig them out of the gardens and bury them.

My neighbors were all out in the backyard today too. It was only in the upper 50's or low 60's today, and a little overcast, but we've all got cabin fever. They were setting up a huge trampoline in the rear of their lot. First time I've seen all their kids since Winter began.

Edit: My huge magnolia in the front is budding like crazy. Should be flowering in another week or two.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
gwp wrote:

Probably muscari.

killingtime

killingtime wrote:

Probably muscari.

or evil violets.

gwp

killingtime wrote:

Probably muscari.

Nope. Just Googled those. This is a single blossom. Small bulb. Seems to form new bulbs in tight clusters.

killingtime

gwp wrote:

Nope. Just Googled those. This is a single blossom. Small bulb. Seems to form new bulbs in tight clusters.

hyacinth?

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
killingtime wrote:

hyacinth?

grape hyacinth

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

gwp

killingtime wrote:

hyacinth?

Could be. I'll snap a picture and post it as soon as one has bloomed some.

killingtime

gwp wrote:

Could be. I'll snap a picture and post it as soon as one has bloomed some.

I am guessing it is hyacinth or muscari...

killingtime

Fragrant?

gwp

killingtime wrote:

I am guessing it is hyacinth or muscari...

Aw, what do I know. I'm just the shovel and equipment guy If it grows, I take care of it. If it's a weed, I try to kill it. If it's lawn, I cut it.

I'll snap pics of all of the things I don't know the names of and let you experts tell me what I have.

The magnolia and lilacs are the easy ones. I can also identify the barberry and most of the shrubs and trees. It's the flowers that I don't know much about. Especially all of the bulbs. They've been there forever. (Although I think I can pick out the tulips without assistance... )

gwp

killingtime wrote:Fragrant?

Well, since they grow all over the area that Smokey's run goes through, I'd say yes.

killingtime

gwp wrote:

Aw, what do I know. I'm just the shovel and equipment guy If it grows, I take care of it. If it's a weed, I try to kill it. If it's lawn, I cut it.

I'll snap pics of all of the things I don't know the names of and let you experts tell me what I have.

The magnolia and lilacs are the easy ones. I can also identify the barberry and most of the shrubs and trees. It's the flowers that I don't know much about. Especially all of the bulbs. They've been there forever. (Although I think I can pick out the tulips without assistance... )

Bulbs are an easy way to start learning the names. I get 2-3 bulb catalogues in the mail and I just leaf through them. Perennials are easy...annuals get tough...

killingtime

gwp wrote:

Well, since they grow all over the area that Smokey's run goes through, I'd say yes.

When you are in home depot next, you'll probably see white lilies, tulips, hyacinths, hydrangeas and daffodils...those tend to be the most common easter plants.

killingtime

killingtime wrote:

Bulbs are an easy way to start learning the names. I get 2-3 bulb catalogues in the mail and I just leaf through them. Perennials are easy...annuals get tough...

Biennials are easy.

gwp

killingtime wrote:

I used to know the names of a lot of things that grew in the woods (back to the Boy Scout thing...), and whether you could eat them or not. Came in handy at one point in my life. Not so much anymore, so I would probably starve or poison myself if I were stranded in the wilderness now...

pooflady

gwp wrote:

I used to know the names of a lot of things that grew in the woods (back to the Boy Scout thing...), and whether you could eat them or not. Came in handy at one point in my life. Not so much anymore, so I would probably starve or poison myself if I were stranded in the wilderness now...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:RlEr6R_6QmgzKM:www.mooseyscountrygarden

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:RlEr6R_6QmgzKM:www.mooseyscountrygarden

daj must be so proud of you. I was a failure as a product tester.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:

daj must be so proud of you. I was a failure as a product tester.

Well, no, she won't be. I really wanted to post the picture.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:

The link worked.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

killingtime

pooflady wrote:

Use [ img ] and [ /img ] on either side, but then you'd be image leeching, which would be considered a no-no.

acemom

Hello, everyone.
Just picked my first daffodils of the season.
This warm weather and all the rain is really making things green up fast!!

gwp

I just went and checked my flats of seeds in the greenhouse, and the tomatoes have sprouted. (About an inch tall) That's a relief. I was a little afraid I'd strike out again this year with the seeds, but I think sealing up the enclosure has kept the humidity high enough that they're not drying out between waterings. Looks like a fair number of them germinated too. Neat! I'd rather have to give away a few plants than to have to go buy more somewhere later.

The peppers and celery aren't doing much yet, though I see two very small sprouts beginning to poke out.

Nothing on the watermelon yet, but they've only been planted for a few days, so it'll be this coming weekend probably before anything shows.

pooflady

Testing

gwp

pooflady wrote:Testing

Nicely done. (a tad wide, but no biggie. I resized a copy...)

Very spring/summer looking!

ThunderThighs

Staff

Nice! Is that your deck?

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

gwp wrote:

Nicely done. (a tad wide, but no biggie. I resized a copy...)

Very spring/summer looking!

Thank you. Last year's.

pooflady

daj59 wrote:Nice! Is that your deck?

Yes. How do I resize?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Is that where you and Poofguy relaxed when the kids were gone?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:Is that where you and Poofguy relaxed when the kids were gone?

LOL!!!

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
gwp wrote:

(a tad wide, but no biggie. I resized a copy...)

you need a larger monitor.

Its perfect for my screen poof.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:

Yes. How do I resize?

On Photobucket, click on the photo and it will take you to the edit screen. You'll see a resize there. Do it one step at a time because you can't undo it (although you can always upload your picture again).

FORUM MODERATOR

acemom

cruzer wrote:

Mine too, and very pretty and relaxing!!

pooflady

daj59 wrote:
On Photobucket, click on the photo and it will take you to the edit screen. You'll see a resize there. Do it one step at a time because you can't undo it (although you can always upload your picture again).

What size do I want?

gwp

cruzer wrote:

Monitor's fine -- video card sucks. I blew up my AGP slot, so I'm stuck with a less than ideal card right now and only 1280x1024. I was running 1792x1344.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:

What size do I want?

Start with the bottom one (largest) and see what it looks like. You can resize it smaller if you need to. Usually Message Board or Website/Email is fine.

FORUM MODERATOR

gwp

pooflady wrote:

What size do I want?

900px wide would fit in the box without going over the edge. It's not a huge deal (except in the contests) anyway though, until it gets to 1600 wide, which makes people scroll to see the whole thing.

I didn't mean to come off like a width cop.

pooflady

e-mail size

Rock garden