gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

Memorial Day weekend, and time to get the garden ready...



Rebuilt the fence and frame; new gate. Not shown is the new sprinklers I put on.


Mulched the walkways, and marked the rows,


and planted a few rows of corn and radishes and a row of green onion.

Tomorrow we'll plant peppers (Bell, banana, cayenne, hananero, jalepeno, sweet red & yellow), tomatoes (several varieties), squash (acorn & butternut), pumpkin (2 varieties), carrots (2 varieties), beets, leeks, watermelon, and maybe the herb garden as well (basil, oregano, parsley (though some from last year survived), chives, marjoram, cilantro).

So far the weather has been very pleasant -- 70's and clear, light breeze. MUCH better than last year's mid-90's and scorching sun. No heat exhaustion for me this year, thank goodness...

killingtime


quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime

And everyone thinks I'm OCD!?!!!!?!!???!!???

Nice job...just don't forget the Preen this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

gwp wrote:Memorial Day weekend, and time to get the garden ready...

ebuilt the fence and frame; new gate. Not shown is the new sprinklers I put on.
ulched the walkways, and marked the rows,

and planted a few rows of corn and radishes and a row of green onion.

Tomorrow we'll plant peppers (Bell, banana, cayenne, hananero, jalepeno, sweet red & yellow), tomatoes (several varieties), squash (acorn & butternut), pumpkin (2 varieties), carrots (2 varieties), beets, leeks, watermelon, and maybe the herb garden as well (basil, oregano, parsley (though some from last year survived), chives, marjoram, cilantro).

So far the weather has been very pleasant -- 70's and clear, light breeze. MUCH better than last year's mid-90's and scorching sun. No heat exhaustion for me this year, thank goodness...




KT is right! That is crazy!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
dontwantaname wrote:KT is right! That is crazy!



But I bet it's one kick butt garden with lots of goodies...

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

As long as that certain weed doesn't take over again. Looks good, gwp.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
pooflady wrote:As long as that certain weed doesn't take over again. Looks good, gwp.



And it looks like the local bunnies can't get in either. Unfortunately, we got tons of the furry thieves.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
SkekTek wrote:And it looks like the local bunnies can't get in either. Unfortunately, we got tons of the furry thieves.



The bunny can get in just fine, as can the moles, but the deer family that jumped over the former 4' tall fence now has 7' to scale. They pruned my entire garden to about 14" tall last year. All the pepper and tomato plants, ate all the snowpeas. The bunnies couldn't possibly wreak that much havoc.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
gwp wrote:The bunny can get in just fine, as can the moles, but the deer family that jumped over the former 4' tall fence now has 7' to scale. They pruned my entire garden to about 14" tall last year. All the pepper and tomato plants, ate all the snowpeas. The bunnies couldn't possibly wreak that much havoc.



Agh... we got moles in our back yard. Wish I could get rid of them, but haven't found anything short of calling in a hired gun.

Bunnies are at least cute.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
SkekTek wrote:Agh... we got moles in our back yard. Wish I could get rid of them, but haven't found anything short of calling in a hired gun.

Bunnies are at least cute.



The last time I talked about mole remedies here, I offended a fellow wooter who holds strong feelings concerning animal welfare. I don't wish to intentionally commit that same offense again.

However, I have a dozen (never before used -- they came with the house...) mechanical devices that are advertised to ruin a mole's day quickly and primarily painlessly (at least for me...) I may give one a try later this summer and see if they work at all. Kind of a mole-tunnel version of a mousetrap. (But with more spikey things...)

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Husband's been fighting moles here for 37 years now. Every year I hear, "We've got moles where we've never had them before." Considering we only have a half acre....

He does use in the mechanical traps in the hopes of at least wounding one and maybe it will die. The best method is to be out in the yard about 6 in the morning with a shovel or a pitchfork.

We don't have runs that show, we just have large humps of dirt that, of course, then makes the yard look like heck.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
pooflady wrote:Husband's been fighting moles here for 37 years now. Every year I hear, "We've got moles where we've never had them before." Considering we only have a half acre....

He does use in the mechanical traps in the hopes of at least wounding one and maybe it will die. The best method is to be out in the yard about 6 in the morning with a shovel or a pitchfork.

We don't have runs that show, we just have large humps of dirt that, of course, then makes the yard look like heck.



We have runs, since we have areas of no grass back where the leaves collect in the winter and are removed in the spring. Try to get grass there, but never works. Get great likes of mole tunnels though.

We have very sandy soil, and haven't gotten a mole with those traps yet. Plus, I think hurting/killing one would be a drop in the bucket.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
SkekTek wrote:We have runs, since we have areas of no grass back where the leaves collect in the winter and are removed in the spring. Try to get grass there, but never works. Get great likes of mole tunnels though.

We have very sandy soil, and haven't gotten a mole with those traps yet. Plus, I think hurting/killing one would be a drop in the bucket.



Are you sure you have moles? About six to eight inches long?

If you can kill all the grubs in your yard, that helps.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

SkekTek wrote:Agh... we got moles in our back yard. Wish I could get rid of them, but haven't found anything short of calling in a hired gun.

Bunnies are at least cute.

Back many years ago, you could buy a smoke bomb kind of thing that you stuck in one end of the tunnel and then you blocked every place you saw smoke rising from the ground. It worked well.

Most recently, I used one of those battery operated noise things that you stick in the ground that is supposed to pester them into leaving. That did pretty well.

I've also heard about sticking human hair down the tunnel or peeing in it to mark it. They don't like that. Turn your son's loose.




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
daj59 wrote:Back many years ago, you could buy a smoke bomb kind of thing that you stuck in one end of the tunnel and then you blocked every place you saw smoke rising from the ground. It worked well.

Most recently, I used one of those battery operated noise things that you stick in the ground that is supposed to pester them into leaving. That did pretty well.

I've also heard about sticking human hair down the tunnel or peeing in it to mark it. They don't like that. Turn your son's loose.



Just heard from a colleague at work to drizzle Murphy's oil soap cleaner around a garden to keep bunnies out. Gonna try it.

sisterC


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sisterC
SkekTek wrote:Just heard from a colleague at work to drizzle Murphy's oil soap cleaner around a garden to keep bunnies out. Gonna try it.



we got 8 inches of rain tonight so i am pretty sure my garden is now a kiddie pool

mad dogs and englishmen...i still want the great dane!

KikiinMud


quality posts: 1 Private Messages KikiinMud

Our little bitty herb & tomato garden

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
pooflady wrote:



OK, fine. Since the "v27 since the first 26 got messed up" carp has died down...



Taken with my phone-camera. I should take the real camera out there. Things are growing (the rows that are showing are corn with radishes planted between, both sprouted)

I can see radishes, corn, pumpkin, squash, cukes and the tiniest of carrots sprouting. No beets yet.

Nothing showing in the other garden yet -- garlic, asparagus, dill, oregano, coriander, chives, cress, parsley, cilantro.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gwp wrote:OK, fine. Since the "v27 since the first 26 got messed up" carp has died down...



Taken with my phone-camera. I should take the real camera out there. Things are growing (the rows that are showing are corn with radishes planted between, both sprouted)

I can see radishes, corn, pumpkin, squash, cukes and the tiniest of carrots sprouting. No beets yet.

Nothing showing in the other garden yet -- garlic, asparagus, dill, oregano, coriander, chives, cress, parsley, cilantro.

WEEDS! LET ME AT THEM!!!!!

You can grow food?




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
daj59 wrote:You can grow food?



Sometimes. And sometimes, if I'm lucky, it's not mutant. Much.

I'm hoping for salmonella-free tomatoes this year, and smut-free corn. A bee or two to pollinate the squash and punkins wouldn't be too bad either ...

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
gwp wrote:OK, fine. Since the "v27 since the first 26 got messed up" carp has died down...



Taken with my phone-camera. I should take the real camera out there. Things are growing (the rows that are showing are corn with radishes planted between, both sprouted)

I can see radishes, corn, pumpkin, squash, cukes and the tiniest of carrots sprouting. No beets yet.

Nothing showing in the other garden yet -- garlic, asparagus, dill, oregano, coriander, chives, cress, parsley, cilantro.



Looks really good. What's the stone thingie on the outside?



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

AttilaTheMom


quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

My beautybush.



There is now a forsythia to one side, and the daylilies on the other look good. We got pounded with rain and I lost the last of the blossoms so now it looks kinda sad. I just put in a pair of wine and roses weigelia on the west side of the house, where I hope they survive and get huge.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
pooflady wrote:Looks really good. What's the stone thingie on the outside?



That's a 5' tall, 10' diameter compost pile (surrounded by re-wire mesh). I put the rocks around it to make it less crappy looking ...

There's a matching stone wall across the back of the property you can barely see in the distance...

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
AttilaTheMom wrote:My beautybush.



There is now a forsythia to one side, and the daylilies on the other look good. We got pounded with rain and I lost the last of the blossoms so now it looks kinda sad. I just put in a pair of wine and roses weigelia on the west side of the house, where I hope they survive and get huge.



The bush is beautiful, but that's a really great-looking tree.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
gwp wrote:That's a 5' tall, 10' diameter compost pile (surrounded by re-wire mesh). I put the rocks around it to make it less crappy looking ...

There's a matching stone wall across the back of the property you can barely see in the distance...



L O L. Was showing the pictures to husband. He thought maybe it was a fountain or waterfall.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
pooflady wrote:...thought maybe it was a fountain ...



a COMPOST fountain ...

Mmm-mmm good!

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
gwp wrote:a COMPOST fountain ...

Mmm-mmm good!



Just run an irrigation ditch straight to the garden. Liquid fertilizer.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

killingtime


quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime

I don't know if I should spoil GWP's party by mentioning that it will take 3 years until the asparagus is big enough to eat...and even then...you get very few...barely enough to feed one.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

KikiinMud wrote:Our little bitty herb & tomato garden



That is really cute!
My garden is only 2 foot by 20. Fits about 10 plants and some small stuff.
Well, this year it fits nothing. It was too cold, then bam! Way too hot, so it hasn't been put in yet.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

AttilaTheMom


quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
pooflady wrote:The bush is beautiful, but that's a really great-looking tree.



it looked even better before it got hit with a tornado or wind sheer or whatever took down a couple of the big limbs on one side. they think we had a small tornado bounce over the village without touching down because we had a lot of damaged trees and roofs. anyways, the tree is a really big ooooold maple and i have 4 more like it plus a large white ash tree.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

AttilaTheMom


quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
KikiinMud wrote:Our little bitty herb & tomato garden



that is awesome. i need to find a spot that gets enough sun for one of those.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
killingtime wrote:I don't know if I should spoil GWP's party by mentioning that it will take 3 years until the asparagus is big enough to eat...and even then...you get very few...barely enough to feed one.



I knew that. They say you can harvest off the same plants for 15 years though. I planted three rows of 5 feet each (about 50 or 60 plants), so I'll get one or two nice meals per year starting in 2011.

I also planted garlic and a few other perennial vegetables and herbs in that garden, as I don't till it up each year.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Our tomatoes. Husband happened to see flash of red the other day. One bright red tomato. None of the others have started to turn at all. It was delicious.



carp! Why won't it show up?




The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
pooflady wrote:Our tomatoes. Husband happened to see flash of red the other day. One bright red tomato. None of the others have started to turn at all. It was delicious.



I see two pictures Poof, of the same thing. . . I took them out of my reply.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

[quote postid="2397419" user="pooflady"]Our tomatoes. Husband happened to see flash of red the other day. One bright red tomato. None of the others have started to turn at all. It was delicious.



What the heck? Those are huge plants.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
KtCallista wrote:I see two pictures Poof, of the same thing. . . I took them out of my reply.



How come I don't get to see it?



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
dontwantaname wrote:[quote postid="2397419" user="pooflady"]Our tomatoes. Husband happened to see flash of red the other day. One bright red tomato. None of the others have started to turn at all. It was delicious.



What the heck? Those are huge plants.


Those are tomatos! Dang girl. I just looked to see if the picture was there, I didn't read anything! Our garden got taken out by snow. . . I didn't replant, probably shoulda.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:How come I don't get to see it?

Do you have some blocker on?




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
daj59 wrote:Do you have some blocker on?



Evidently, because I can see them in IE, but not FF. Forgot about that. There's a lot of stuff you post and somebody else (can't remember who) that I don't get in FF.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Evidently, because I can see them in IE, but not FF. Forgot about that. There's a lot of stuff you post and somebody else (can't remember who) that I don't get in FF.

Take a look in the blocker. There's probably a place to view blocked pages. You might have imageshack in there (www.imageshack.us) instead of just a few graphics from imageshack.




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items