FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

Girr, my internet is slow for some reason.

Still single, can't imagine why.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kalyha wrote:some one stole my dahlia!

I can't believe it, I had a gorgeous deep ruby dahlia that bloomed the other day, and I went out this morning and someone had pulled it out of the planter.

We were very proud of ourselves that we had over wintered it & replanted it successfully and happy that we would have something blooming for the garden tour next week (we have a lot of perennials that have already bloomed or will be blooming in July, late June is pretty green in our garden)
rrrrr starting to hate city living!

I could have been a squirrel. My mom caught one digging a geranium out of a planter. He ran and left the plant, so she replanted it.
The next day it was gone. There was a trail of dirt where the squirrel dragged it away.

What it needed the entire plant for, we will never know.
If you have trees, you must have squirrels.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

tall4agirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tall4agirl
dontwantaname wrote:
I could have been a squirrel. My mom caught one digging a geranium out of a planter. He ran and left the plant, so she replanted it.
The next day it was gone. There was a trail of dirt where the squirrel dragged it away.

At least half of the planters around my house have squirrel dig sites. They're starting to get a bit annoying.

FenStar

tall4agirl wrote:At least half of the planters around my house have squirrel dig sites. They're starting to get a bit annoying.

trap them then dump them in a remote location.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
FenStar wrote: trap them then dump them in a remote location.

I think that's illegal here. You can trap them and kill them in your own yard, but you can't transport them out of your yard.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:

I think that's illegal here. You can trap them and kill them in your own yard, but you can't transport them out of your yard.

Someone had a trap in their yard with a squirrel in it. I called the ASPCA and the guy finally got the call and called back a week later. (I checked and the trap was empty and reset the next day.
He said it was illegal to even trap them here.
Maybe if they are inside the house, but not in the yard.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Well, I finally took the new camera out of the box.
Local town garden.

butterflies

bumble bee

feathers

and frog

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:Well, I finally took the new camera out of the box.
Local town garden.

butterflies

Pretty.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

kalyha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha
dontwantaname wrote:

We have plenty of squirrels, this wasn't one. Oh well, I was mostly bummed because it was gorgeous & I had very little blooming for the garden tour (our house/garden was on it) but my zinnia & strawflower started opening this morning (the day after the garden tour) Oh well.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kalyha wrote:

We have plenty of squirrels, this wasn't one. Oh well, I was mostly bummed because it was gorgeous & I had very little blooming for the garden tour (our house/garden was on it) but my zinnia & strawflower started opening this morning (the day after the garden tour) Oh well.

Just can't depend on nature!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

kalyha

dontwantaname wrote:

Someone had a trap in their yard with a squirrel in it. I called the ASPCA and the guy finally got the call and called back a week later. (I checked and the trap was empty and reset the next day.
He said it was illegal to even trap them here.
Maybe if they are inside the house, but not in the yard.

We trapped the squirrels in our back yard that had eaten their way into the eaves. We released one on The Boy's lacrosse field and one in New Jersey. You have to take them far away because they are extremely territorial and will come back. We haven't trapped the ones that dig in the flowers & eat our bulbs.

FenStar

kalyha wrote:We trapped the squirrels in our back yard that had eaten their way into the eaves. We released one on The Boy's lacrosse field and one in New Jersey. You have to take them far away because they are extremely territorial and will come back. We haven't trapped the ones that dig in the flowers & eat our bulbs.

Where can you buy a tranquilizer gun?

kalyha

FenStar wrote: Where can you buy a tranquilizer gun?

I don't know, but that sounds like a good idea!

kalyha

My Flamingo and my fuschia

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kalyha wrote:My Flamingo and my fuschia

He/she is cute!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

kalyha

dontwantaname wrote:

He/she is cute!

Thanks, the store named him Jack, but I'm not sure that is the right name.
Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

kalyha

Hydrangeas snipped from a friends yard for the tour.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kalyha wrote:

I'm not a name person.
Looks like a Fred to me. Then again, I don't name anything.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

qwertyuiop002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwertyuiop002
kalyha wrote:

Placido

qwertyuiop002

dontwantaname wrote:Well, I finally took the new camera out of the box.
Local town garden.
[snip]

ribs pics. The frog looks grumpy. What camera do you have?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

qwertyuiop002 wrote:
ribs pics. The frog looks grumpy. What camera do you have?

Nikon D40x.
I took the D80 back to Costco. I talked to my brother in law at Christmas. He bought the 80 too. He was thrilled, but had been reading the instructions for a week to find out how to use it.
That is not what I was looking for.
Then we got a Costco mag with a ad for the D40x and how it is easy.
So 5 months after I bought it, I took the D80 back. The return desk called the electronic guys over to make sure the camera was in good shape. I only took the body and one lens out of the box.
I told them my sad story about buying too much camera, but not wanting to give it up until I found something better, but it had never been used.
So they took it back. I got the new one, which was smaller (fit my hand better) easier to use, but came with the same two lenses and bag.
I took it out and on the first day the neck strap just decided to slide off the camera and it hit the ground! Damn!
It still worked. It even took a picture of a car tire as I tried to grab it as it fell.
Other than that it has been easy.
Except, I forgot about focusing by hand and stuff. Also, it seems the wrong lens is always on.
Yep, that is why the real camera went into storage once the kids were born.
It is a two hand deal taking pictures.
I still miss forwarding the film by hand.
I didn't read any of the instructions yet. It might help if I did.
BUT I got my Nikon! Yeah, there might be a better camera out there, but I WANTED an Nikon.
I do have to see if they still sell the thing that goes around the lens and sticks to the camera lens cover, so you can take it off and let it hang. I give me a week before I lose that lens cover.
Also, sometimes there is no lag after hitting the button, sometimes there is. I should really read the book.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Oh, also, while we were there, someone asked me to take their picture with a Cannon, which is my small camera. It got much smaller. I might have to buy a new one for Christmas. Then hubby can keep the old one for his ebay stuff.
The Cannon digital elf has never given me any trouble and I abuse it. Shove it in my bag for years.
1/2 as big would be even better.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

qwertyuiop002

dontwantaname wrote:Except, I forgot about focusing by hand and stuff. Also, it seems the wrong lens is always on.

Why do you need to focus by hand? Doesn't it come with autofocus? Or do you just like to focus yourself?

It (and you!) takes nice pics.

FenStar

dontwantaname wrote:Pictures

Holy crap, those are good!

FenStar

Apple tree. They look like they might actually git big enough to eat this year!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote:Apple tree. They look like they might actually git big enough to eat this year!

Every few years our tree gave us real apples.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

FenStar

dontwantaname wrote:Every few years our tree gave us real apples.

Don't they look tasty?

pooflady

FenStar wrote: Don't they look tasty?

Yes. Do you know what kind they are?

FenStar

pooflady wrote:Yes. Do you know what kind they are?

Granny Smith, I believe.

pooflady

FenStar wrote: Granny Smith, I believe.

I always use half of those and half McIntosh for apple pies. Mmmmmmmmmm.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

qwertyuiop002 wrote:
Why do you need to focus by hand? Doesn't it come with autofocus? Or do you just like to focus yourself?

It (and you!) takes nice pics.

Gee wiz querty, you timed this probation wrong, you aren't back till 3am.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote: Don't they look tasty?

Is it a green apple?
We had what we thought were crab apples, except for a few years before the tree died, it gave real apples.
Then ants attacked it and if fell in a storm. It hit nothing. Just nestled in the yard!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:

I thought he was back at midnight.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:

What the heck, now it says you will be back at 12:30!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

kalyha

qwertyuiop002 wrote:
Placido

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

Thanks to the municipal water supply and sprinklers, the garden is still alive, despite a week of 90+ temps so far, and no rain in sight:

Cukes and tomatoes (two varieties) on the left, four varieties of peppers on the right, and a bunch of stuff up the middle (from back to front): acorn squash, butternut squash, watermelon, corn (two varieties), cauliflower, parsnips, white Boston lettuce, red radishes, white icicle radishes.

The other garden is partly thriving ... Pumpkins doing OK, dill OK, sunflowers OK ... celery hanging on, endive is technically still alive ... spinach, chives, parsley not heard from.

pooflady

gwp wrote:Thanks to the municipal water supply and sprinklers, the garden is still alive, despite a week of 90+ temps so far, and no rain in sight:

Cukes and tomatoes (two varieties) on the left, four varieties of peppers on the right, and a bunch of stuff up the middle (from back to front): acorn squash, butternut squash, watermelon, corn (two varieties), cauliflower, parsnips, white Boston lettuce, red radishes, white icicle radishes.

The other garden is partly thriving ... Pumpkins doing OK, dill OK, sunflowers OK ... celery hanging on, endive is technically still alive ... spinach, chives, parsley not heard from.

Looks great, gwp. Wish I could send you some of our chives, we need to thin them out.

Edit: We netted the tomatoes yesterday. With almost no rain for weeks, we figure the squirrels, birds and turtles are going to be going after them soon.

gwp

pooflady wrote:Looks great, gwp. Wish I could send you some of our chives, we need to thin them out.

Edit: We netted the tomatoes yesterday. With almost no rain for weeks, we figure the squirrels, birds and turtles are going to be going after them soon.

Thanks. I'm sure if I had planted them in the garden above they would have grown. Any seed that even gets close to the ground in there sprouts. It just means I have to spend some time improving the soil in the other garden before planting next year.

The only pest I've seen this year so far was a groundhog, who probably got in while I left the gate open for a few hours. He ran off as soon as he saw me though. There are signs of moles again, but they seem to be staying away from the actual plants. (so far ...)

As soon as the corn starts forming, I expect to see the deer show up. They have no problem jumping that 4 foot fence, and love to go shopping for their breakfast in there. I'll be watching for them so I can turn on the sprinklers and give them a chance to "freshen up before their meal" ...

pooflady

gwp wrote:

Thanks. I'm sure if I had planted them in the garden above they would have grown. Any seed that even gets close to the ground in there sprouts. It just means I have to spend some time improving the soil in the other garden before planting next year.

The only pest I've seen this year so far was a groundhog, who probably got in while I left the gate open for a few hours. He ran off as soon as he saw me though. There are signs of moles again, but they seem to be staying away from the actual plants. (so far ...)

As soon as the corn starts forming, I expect to see the deer show up. They have no problem jumping that 4 foot fence, and love to go shopping for their breakfast in there. I'll be watching for them so I can turn on the sprinklers and give them a chance to "freshen up before their meal" ...

Do you stay up all night for this? We often see deer at dawn or just before, and sometimes during the night.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

That is a ton of stuff. Do you eat it all?
Would the town be able to tell if you watered just the garden?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

gwp

pooflady wrote:Do you stay up all night for this? We often see deer at dawn or just before, and sometimes during the night.

I'm up at the crack of dawn every day (05:00), so that's when they tend to be hanging around in the shadows back there. We're not the first stop on their daily tour...

dontwantaname wrote:That is a ton of stuff. Do you eat it all?

Last year, not by a long shot. Had so much squash that I was bringing a grocery bag of it per week in to work to give away. Also, last year, all 6 tomato plants we bought from the nursery were mislabeled. They all ended up being cherry tomatoes (instead of the beefsteak we thought we were buying...) and since nobody here eats cherry tomatoes, I brought a bushel or more, a quart bag at a time, into work, to the neighbors, to my parents, etc...

dontwantaname wrote:Would the town be able to tell if you watered just the garden?

We have water meters, so what we use is charged for. (And the sewer bill is based on the water usage as well, which is totally not fair if a lot of it is going into a garden, on the lawn or in a pool...)