+ Add a Comment

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

Mary Mary quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row.

It's Spring once again, and Wooters are tending to their gardens.

Post your pictures, tout your techniques, boast about your bounty, or queue up your questions here.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
gwp wrote:It's Spring once again, and Wooters are tending to their gardens.

Post your pictures, tout your techniques, boast about your bounty, or queue up your questions here.

If it's green and it's growing, it's good.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom

I tend to grow herbs in pots on my deck. Since I live in a woods, sunlight is not always there.
I brought some pots in last fall. I still have basil, rosemary, and chives growing. Thyme died out.
Never planted parsley, as I could not find the flat-leaf kind.
I have enough sage I dried from a year or so back that I won't need any for a while.

gwp

acemom wrote:I tend to grow herbs in pots on my deck. Since I live in a woods, sunlight is not always there.
I brought some pots in last fall. I still have basil, rosemary, and chives growing. Thyme died out.
Never planted parsley, as I could not find the flat-leaf kind.
I have enough sage I dried from a year or so back that I won't need any for a while.

I may try that this year. I've got a garden that runs along the back of the kitchen and dining room (about 35 feet long and 4 feet wide). Last year I tried to plant pumpkins there, but they really didn't thrive. It would be a good place to do a pot garden of herbs, spices and such. I've got a lot of seed I can start for things like that too. Maybe I'll drag out the cold frames tomorrow and set them up. That'd be a good way to harden them once the sprout.

acemom

gwp wrote:

I may try that this year. I've got a garden that runs along the back of the kitchen and dining room (about 35 feet long and 4 feet wide). Last year I tried to plant pumpkins there, but they really didn't thrive. It would be a good place to do a pot garden of herbs, spices and such. I've got a lot of seed I can start for things like that too. Maybe I'll drag out the cold frames tomorrow and set them up. That'd be a good way to harden them once the sprout.

The only ones I ever grew from seed were the basil plants last summer.
I wanna start some other herbs early as well.
I love to cook, and most herbs dry well. Not basil or parsley, though....

Do you have a good recipe for salsa? I need one!

gwp

acemom wrote:
The only ones I ever grew from seed were the basil plants last summer.
I wanna start some other herbs early as well.
I love to cook, and most herbs dry well. Not basil or parsley, though....

Do you have a good recipe for salsa? I need one!

I know my son does. I'll ask him tomorrow. It's kind of a gourmet, eclectic recipe, but he does good things in the kitchen.

Edit: Cilantro. I may have to see if I can grow that. With all of the tomatoes I have planned to plant this year, it'd come in really handy.

Oh, and Jerusalem artichokes too. Taste like water chestnuts in cooking, but HUGE.

acemom

gwp wrote:

I know my son does. I'll ask him tomorrow. It's kind of a gourmet, eclectic recipe, but he does good things in the kitchen.

My ex sister in law made the best salsa I have ever had.
I guess I could ask her for the recipe, she thinks my ex is a d*ckhead also, heh.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

The new hydrangeas are great. Endless Summer is one of them. He has several and they bloom all summer.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

acemom

We need to keep this thread alive for the spring!!
I want to see everyone's gardens!!

LKK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LKK
acemom wrote:
My ex sister in law made the best salsa I have ever had.
I guess I could ask her for the recipe, she thinks my ex is a d*ckhead also, heh.

Post the recipe if you get it. I usually use jar stuff, but it would be fun to make.
I don't do many vegetables anymore. Unc's parents have a HUGE garden and lots of overflow. I do mostly perennials and herbs. I used to do vegetables in the terraced garden in the front, but I don't have much time in the summer now that I work 12 months instead of 9. Just keeping up with the weeds is a chore.
Unc eliminated the grass in my front yard, so I have boxes and paths. All perennials and herbs. They are wonderful and are so calming after a long day at work.

LKK

acemom wrote:We need to keep this thread alive for the spring!!
I want to see everyone's gardens!!

It will be a while - we just got rid of the snow!

acemom

pooflady wrote:The new hydrangeas are great. Endless Summer is one of them. He has several and they bloom all summer.

I love hydrangeas, but I do not have any.
Great dried flowers as well!

Uncorked

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Uncorked
LKK wrote:
Post the recipe if you get it. I usually use jar stuff, but it would be fun to make.
I don't do many vegetables anymore. Unc's parents have a HUGE garden and lots of overflow. I do mostly perennials and herbs. I used to do vegetables in the terraced garden in the front, but I don't have much time in the summer now that I work 12 months instead of 9. Just keeping up with the weeds is a chore.
Unc eliminated the grass in my front yard, so I have boxes and paths. All perennials and herbs. They are wonderful and are so calming after a long day at work.

I can only grow grass where I don't want it.....

Domestic Zymologist since 1980

acemom

LKK wrote:

I will post it if I get it!!
She had: mild, med, and hot.
I got the med, it was perfect.
Yum.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
acemom wrote:
I love hydrangeas, but I do not have any.

Shame, shame.

killingtime

Uncorked wrote:
I can only grow grass where I don't want it.....

Round up is a miraculous invention.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
acemom wrote:I love hydrangeas, but I do not have any.

If you clip them and put them it root starter they seem to grow. Maybe you could find someone around you that has them?

Still single, can't imagine why.

killingtime

My garden is covered in snow...I was looking at my photos from last year & I was getting growth on May 11th.

LKK

killingtime wrote:

Round up is a miraculous invention.

Even that doesn't work on some of my weeds. Unc paved my paths between my garden boxes. Those stubborn weeds cracked through the cement and stones. Roundup helps, but they still come back in a couple weeks - seemingly stronger and more prolific than ever!

LKK

killingtime wrote:My garden is covered in snow...I was looking at my photos from last year & I was getting growth on May 11th.

Mine is still covered in mulch. We could still get snow, so I resisted the urge to rake it this weekend (unseasonable 60 degrees yesterday). With being in CA for the next couple weeks, I don't want those tender spring bulbs to come up too soon when I can't protect them.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

Does anyone use a landscaping program?
Does anyone have suggestions or resources for plants, like partial shade and stuff like that?

Still single, can't imagine why.

gwp

FenStar wrote:Does anyone use a landscaping program?

That's an excellent question, and I wish I could answer 'yes'. Last week I searched the web for programs, and even downloaded a couple, but wasn't able to find one that did what I wanted it to, or that operated correctly.

FenStar wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions or resources for plants, like partial shade and stuff like that?

weather.com has a gardening section based on the weather conditions for each zipcode, and some links to other resources. Your local garden center would be a good resource as well.

killingtime

FenStar wrote:

Provenwinners website - very good source...for a multitude of subjects.

killingtime

killingtime

FenStar wrote:Does anyone use a landscaping program?

Use the trial planner

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
killingtime wrote:Deer control

Poofguy used Invisible Fence last year. It either worked or the deer weren't very hungry. The year before they wiped out the beans and peppers overnight.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

killingtime

pooflady wrote:

Poofguy used Invisible Fence last year.

How did he get collars on the deer?

killingtime

Favorite Annual = Blue Lobelia
Favorite Perennial = Purple Salvia
Favorite Thick Vine = Honeysuckle
Favorite Thin Vine = Clematis
Favorite Ground Plant = Silver Mound
Favorite Tall Plant = Cleome
Favorite Cutting Plant = Dahlia

killingtime

LKK

killingtime wrote:Favorite Annual = Blue Lobelia
Favorite Perennial = Purple Salvia
Favorite Thick Vine = Honeysuckle
Favorite Thin Vine = Clematis
Favorite Ground Plant = Silver Mound
Favorite Tall Plant = Cleome
Favorite Cutting Plant = Dahlia

Favorite Perennial = Mum
Favorite Thick Vine = Euonymous (ok, it is a bush - but really spreads like a vine)
Favorite Thin Vine = Clematis (agreed)
Favorite Ground Plant = lemon thyme
Favorite Tall Plant = Sage (actually has become more of a a tree in my garden)
Favorite Cutting Plant = Dahlia (agreed)
Favorite bush = lilac
Favorite annual = pansy (can be perennial depending on our winters)
Favorite hedge plant= spirea (over 100 year old hedge we inherited when we bought the house)
Favorite fruit = currant bush - gets bigger and better every year

killingtime

LKK wrote:
Favorite Perennial = Mum

One of my aunt and uncle's bread and butter plants. Easy and inexpensive to grow. I prefer its cousin - The Aster, which comes in a broader range of colors. Mums are very stable and great fillers.

LKK wrote:
Favorite Thick Vine = Euonymous (ok, it is a bush - but really spreads like a vine)

Neat color.

LKK wrote:
Favorite Thin Vine = Clematis (agreed)

I once saw this electric blue variety in someone's yard climbing a lamp post. It was so electric that at night or in the early morning it vibrated...glowed.

I am still in search of the specific variety.

LKK wrote:
Favorite Ground Plant = lemon thyme

Too afraid to try it. I am afraid of anything that could potential spread. My mom has lemon balm and when you rub your fingers on the leaves, it smells so awesome.

LKK wrote:
Favorite Tall Plant = Sage (actually has become more of a a tree in my garden)

Agreed. Sages and salvias ...nice and wispy.

LKK wrote:
Favorite Cutting Plant = Dahlia (agreed)

I dug up the corms and boxed them. I hope they will survive until we get the opportunity to move.

LKK wrote:
Favorite bush = lilac

Lilacs, Wisteria and Hydrangea...*gasp*

LKK wrote:
Favorite annual = pansy (can be perennial depending on our winters)

Icicle pansies...so weird to see them flowered for so long. I am not a big pansy fan, but a nice spring flower...annual dies too quickly...as do most early spring flowers.

LKK wrote:
Favorite hedge plant= spirea (over 100 year old hedge we inherited when we bought the house)

Bright foliage.

So, are you mainly in the pink vein of colors?

killingtime

Was your currant black, red or golden?

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
gwp wrote:Mary Mary quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row.

It's Spring once again, and Wooters are tending to their gardens.

just admit it, you were a botany major in college

acemom

cruzer wrote:

just admit it, you were a botany major in college

Bad cruzer!!
I like what GWP does, it is way cooI!
if he was not already married.....
heh.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer

I must say, I see no actual gardens in this place...where are the real gardens at? Suuuurrrrreee! talk a good game and then no pics!

killingtime

acemom wrote:
Bad cruzer!!
I like what GWP does, it is way cooI!
if he was not already married.....
heh.

Hey, what does GWP do? Do I know?

acemom

cruzer wrote:I must say, I see no actual gardens in this place...where are the real gardens at? Suuuurrrrreee! talk a good game and then no pics!

Well, my love, it is still too early here. Even my daffodils are not blooming yet!

acemom

killingtime wrote:

Hey, what does GWP do? Do I know?

I meant his gardening and starting seeds in the coldframes.