PRODUCT: 3 2005 Picens Vino Rosso
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
4/26/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

If I'm reading the right thing on CT, this vintage has a 90 pt rating, based on 3 notes.

Tempting...

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

outuvtime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages outuvtime

From the website:
"Appelation
Marche, Red, Indicazione Geografica Tipica (IGT)
Grape varieties
Montepulciano, Sangiovese, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon
Colour
Fairly intense purplish ruby.
Bouquet
Fine and expressive nose of blackberries, leather, mild spices and menthol.
Taste
Supple attack on the palate with a pleasing tannic structure. An ample yet elegant wine.
Serve at 17°C with a grilled tuna steak drizzled with an ‘au jus' sauce hinted with cinnamon or a lacquered loin of pork with Ras el Hanout."

Ummmm....MENTHOL????? No thanks.

Mike Grattan

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

You wooters that already wooted, what do you know that we don't?

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

I like the specs on this wine and I like the region. I'm in.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
slm9951 wrote:You wooters that already wooted, what do you know that we don't?

That Scott Harvey likes it.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

ram3517

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ram3517

I bought an order in the last woot off. I took two bottles (along with some others) home for mother's day weekend. We had it with a grilled meal of skirt steak, chicken thighs and asparagus. It was very smooth with a nice finish. It was much more than I expected. I ordered three to keep some stocked at my mother's house because it was one of the few things that she and my sister in law agreed on (a very rare occurrence).

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I've been trying to be good during this Woot-off, but I might finally give in and buy this one. Plus, I like it when the imported wines are available in Texas.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus
redwinefan wrote:I've been trying to be good during this Woot-off, but I might finally give in and buy this one. Plus, I like it when the imported wines are available in Texas.

Imported from San Carlos, CA?

nimhgrad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nimhgrad
redwinefan wrote:I've been trying to be good during this Woot-off, but I might finally give in and buy this one. Plus, I like it when the imported wines are available in Texas.

What country do you live in?

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

This looks really good, but I'm confused -- is the wine from Italy or California?

redwinefan

nimhgrad wrote:What country do you live in?

USA.

redwinefan

artulo wrote:This looks really good, but I'm confused -- is the wine from Italy or California?

Not California.

Jerruh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jerruh

Condition: Red, Italy

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

Somehow it seems appropriate that the targeted ad at the bottom of this Woot forum screen currently says:

Methamphetamine Addiction
Expert Treatment for Professionals
Innovative/Results-Driven Therapy

I wonder if they have a program for wine buying addiction?

In for 1!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
redwinefan wrote:Not California.

Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. I ordered one, and have a feeling that I'll regret not doubling up.

redwinefan

Check the winery website that Cesare linked to for more info about where this is from:

http://www.domodimonti.com/

boris1957

quality posts: 3 Private Messages boris1957

I have a question- when it comes to "Residual Sugar: 4.97 g/l" how does that translate into percentage? (Math is not my thing- at all)

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I like the specs on this wine and I like the region. I'm in.

This alone does nearly put me into auto-buy mode...

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

Ok Mr. Harvey, your lurking...I am hoping for a Jana surprise soon! Which would make sense since I just ordered the vertical...

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma

I too was confused as to who made this wine. Then I saw this listing Dominick Chirichillo as a distributor.

baristaboss58

quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58

drinking window?

richc7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages richc7

Previous offer

Maybe I'll go for consecutive wooter to blame for sell out :D

And as others have noted, imported wines don't come straight from overseas, but have to go through an importer (which in this case would be in California).

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

I caved. Hope its not one of those meaty italian wines

"The older I get the better I was"

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman
boris1957 wrote:I have a question- when it comes to "Residual Sugar: 4.97 g/l" how does that translate into percentage? (Math is not my thing- at all)

0.497%

Lower than the SH Inzinerator, but higher than many traditional reds.

Looks like a fun Italian red from an Adriatic coastal area @ $15/bottle. The owners of the winery are US and their home base is in California. From the bio materials, it looks like a 2nd gen American of Italian descent who makes wines in Cali reached back to the old country and built a spiffy new winery.

Regards,

Greg

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose
losthighwayz wrote:I caved. Hope its not one of those meaty italian wines

Hope it is! In for some solid Italian red!

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma

While it has only one sentence related to this wine this is a nice write up about a visit to the winery/hotel.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

another that looks intriguing. 1 woot on the way.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

Drinking this tonight... maybe I should have let it rest longer after its journey across country, as it was a little disappointing. Here was my tasting note I left on CT:

Strong alcohol/glue on the nose, almost unpleasant. Hot fruit in the mouth, acidic, not very complex. Medium finish. Maybe better paired with the right food. 83.

P.S. I think it's worthwhile circling back and leaving notes about our purchased wines, particularly so that if they come up for sale again future potential Wooters will have some context. Cheers.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
blakewoot wrote:
P.S. I think it's worthwhile circling back and leaving notes about our purchased wines, particularly so that if they come up for sale again future potential Wooters will have some context. Cheers.

I like that idea as I am drinking a glass now. My tasting is opposite of yours though. I am a huge fan of Italian wines for the high acidity, however this is not one.

This is drinking very smooth and balanced. There is a small hint if any of alcohol. There is a small to medium finish that I was hoping would be longer.

As for taste, they were right on with the description: red fruits with some blackberries.

QPR? Great, for an American Italian wine, just remember it does not have that high acidic punch that I have grown to love from Italian wines.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill