sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks, but looking at a different bike.

I know.....that was a more of a nudge to get one!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Yes, we lose an hour of nap time!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:I know.....that was a more of a nudge to get one!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to WineGirl!!!

(Used to help Ty Caton, now Muscardini.)

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Yes, we lose an hour of nap time!

What? Did everyone start their nap already?

Or is everyone hiding from the hugs?

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
MarkDaSpark wrote:What? Did everyone start their nap already?

Not hiding. Just had to go out to find food. Waffle House hash browns to the rescue!!!

E-mail for you, dearest!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Yummmmmm!!! just opened my Di Arie 2006 PS..... WOW!!!! Super Yummmmyyyyyy!!!!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
mommadeb1 wrote:Yummmmmm!!! just opened my Di Arie 2006 PS..... WOW!!!! Super Yummmmyyyyyy!!!!!

Fantastic. I still have my 06-08 vertical in tact.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1

kylemittskus wrote:Fantastic. I still have my 06-08 vertical in tact.

I had to try one!!! it was calling to me...

mommadeb1

mommadeb1 wrote:I had to try one!!! it was calling to me...

yumm.... one more glass and the bottle is gone... just what I needed after a long week!

mommadeb1

cjsiege wrote:Not hiding. Just had to go out to find food. Waffle House hash browns to the rescue!!!

E-mail for you, dearest!

ewwwww!! awfull waffel!!!!! super y!!ucky

mommadeb1

bottle finished......life is good!!!

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:Not hiding. Just had to go out to find food. Waffle House hash browns to the rescue!!!

E-mail for you, dearest!

Responded.

And tomorrow and Monday, I get to be a Judge-In-Training for the NWIWC event (like last year, only more official). I'll say hi to Scott Harvey for everyone!

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:I'll say hi to Scott Harvey for everyone!

Yes, please do. I'll be seeing Jana tomorrow at Del Mar, CA. She's better looking than Scott anyway...

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Yes, please do. I'll be seeing Jana tomorrow at Del Mar, CA. She's better looking than Scott anyway...

Ah, Family Winemakers .... fun times, fun times. Well, except for JavaDrinker on the way back to the MadWineaux place.

Enjoy! Although pace yourself. Too many good wines.

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY

What a coinkydink. I was drinking some of the '06 InZinerator last night. Have fun, Sparky!

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

MarkDaSpark

NonnaWY wrote:What a coinkydink. I was drinking some of the '06 InZinerator last night. Have fun, Sparky!

It's a nice group. We finished the Chards before lunch, and will go on to some Generic Whites, then Cabs, and finish with some Zins tomorrow.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MarkDaSpark wrote:

What? Did everyone start their nap already?

I was busy yesterday helping to build a house with Habitat for Humanity. We put up the trusses for the roof of the house. Lots of heavy lifting and the like. Loads of fun, but totally exhausting...and I'm really feelin' it today.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

We went out to eat last night, and the wine list was pretty cool in the it split the wines into Old World and New World. I was a little surprised to see the Scott Harvey Barbera as a New World wine. Do you all agree? Is Scott a New or Old or Both type of person. Had a glass of it, and it went great with the ribs.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

I just had the *best* adventure today, and I have to share.

Today was the Consensus Wine Blending party out at Keswick Vineyards, which is one of my favorite wineries in Virginia. Every winter, they invite the wine club members to come out to the winery with a goal of creating a special blend using selected wines from the current vintage in barrels (in this case 2011). This year, they held 4 sessions, so that's about 240-250 wine club members who were involved. Today, there were about 60 people, divided into 10 tables of 6 people.

At my table were me, my coworker, Danielle (a.k.a my +1), and 2 other couples. As far as backgrounds/perspectives go, there were 2 engineers, 2 psychologists, a schoolteacher, and a former chef. None of us had done anything like this in the past. We were all rookies at the Consensus table. We were also at the back of the cellar, so we called out table/group "The Back Of The Bus". Yes, we were the troublemakers.

We arrived to find 4 bottles of wine on our table: Merlot, Syrah, Norton, and Touriga. (Fortunately, we are all red wine fans. This could have been a disaster otherwise.) We had about 2 hours to create a blend of any/all of the four wines. The only restrictions were limitations of no more than 60% Merlot and/or 60% Norton (probably because the 2011 harvest was terrible for those varietals). We could use as much Syrah or Touriga as we wanted.

We started out tasting each wine individually, looking for the characteristics each could bring to the table. Then we did a straight-up 25% of each to see what would happen when we started mixing. When we got to our 4th version, the table was dead silent when we tasted it. That was a sign that we were really, really close. When we did talk, it was less of "what faults we're finding" and more of "what food would we serve with this". Yep, a good sign. We did 2 more experiments, tweaking around the edges (2% more here, 3% less here). Surprisingly, each tweak was dramatically different, and we weren't getting any better. Two of us did ask if we could pull one of the viognier bottles out of our allocation and start adding that in - it needed a little something, and we thought the viognier might be right - but we were shot down. (Boo!) We went back to the #4 recipe.

Now that we decided, we needed to make a full bottle of the resulting blend. This became a challenge for 2 reasons. First was the math. While it was a clean number of ml when we were making it in a beaker, it wasn't a "clean" percentage breakdown when we scaled upward. Second was -- well -- we ran out of Syrah. We had to start scarfing leftover Syrah from other tables.

Our final blend: Syrah (62.18%), Norton (17.09%), Merlot (10.38%), Touriga (10.38%).

In a beaker, this was 90ml Syrah, 25ml Norton, and 15ml ea Touriga and Merlot. Pretty easy-peasy. However, in a 750ml bottle, this was 466.6ml Syrah, 128.7ml Norton, and 77.7ml ea Touriga and Merlot. Yes, we had pipettes and we actually geeked it out to those exact measures. (For the ultra geeks, yes this is actually 750.4ml. But who's counting...)

After lunch was the tasting. There were 11 bottles in the running, one of which was a "ringer" done by the winemaker. Each person scored the wines blind, using a simple 20 point scale (3 for color, 7 for nose, 10 for taste). The winner was determined as the highest average score.

The verdict...

We placed 3rd! Our average score was 14.3. The winner's average was 14.7. So it was really close. Not bad for a table full of novices! The 1st and 2nd place teams all had members who had been to the blending parties before. All in all - I think we did pretty darned well!

After announcing the winners, the winemaker came over to chat briefly. Part of the conversation went:
Winemaker: 10.38%, eh? (The expression of his face when he was announcing our blend numbers had been a bit shocked and a bit incredulous.)
Me: Yep. We're a bunch of geeks, and that's how the maths worked out.
WM: Thank God I'm not trying to replicate those blend numbers! *shakes his head*

Yep - engineers rule!

mommadeb1

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I was busy yesterday helping to build a house with Habitat for Humanity. We put up the trusses for the roof of the house. Lots of heavy lifting and the like. Loads of fun, but totally exhausting...and I'm really feelin' it today.

Impressive!!

MarkDaSpark

Oh My Gookie! ... dinner was fantastic. Catered by Ed. Plus wines brought by Narsai David, one of the judges.

BBQ Pig

2 year vertical of Narsai David wine

30 year old (?) Tawny Port brought by N. David.

1971 Pinot Chardonnay brought by N. David.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

JEALOUS!!!!