catfishhunters99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages catfishhunters99
tewkewl wrote:Okay guys. this MAY be my first wine purchase. But tell me. Why should I get this vs. getting a wine that rates 90/91 points at a 13 dollar price point at my local total wines or whatever big box wine store?

I'll bite.

At your local wine store you can get wines from larger wineries, which often have production of 5,000 or 10,000 cases or more. In order to crank out that much, a ton of blending goes on, and you lose out on the individual character of the vineyard.
Woot offers tend to run in the 100 case to 1000 case range. The Saxon-Brown Syrahs I bought last month were around 200 cases each, and two of the three were block-designated wines, where only a tiny section of vines were singled out to make a unique wine.
These wines check in at under 2000 cases each, still plenty small enough for you to see what the winemaker wants to do with the vines.
While a wine at the big box store is going to taste very much the same from vintage to vintage, with wines like these you will see the differences in the years, and how the winemaker chose to deal with the different fruit. Drinking them becomes a learning experience each time you pull the cork.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
sdilullo wrote:To try something new? To expand your wine horizons? To see if you like this better than your grocery store wine? To get in on what is a great deal?

Not being facetious here - and it sounds like you have a great deal on a wine you love available locally. But what keeps me coming back to WW (aside from the awesome prices) is the great community and ability to try a ton of wines I'd otherwise never come into contact with.

My two cents.

I have to agree with this. At least here on the northern plains, the likelihood of seeing a Jason-Stephens wine in a local shop is pretty low. And the ratio of hits to misses here has been much higher than at a shop as well - while a retail shop will focus on what sells, this place can be more selective and rarely delivers something unworthy.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

guljor94

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guljor94

Just a note to the Woot employees here...on the "I'm about to checkout page," it says you're buying:

1 2007 ESTATE MERLOT 750ML:
1 2007 ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 750ML:

But in reality, it's 2 each. Fortunately, the confirmation page says it's 2 each, but I had a double-take after hitting the gold button.

ewqcsl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ewqcsl
CatherineB wrote:heh.

We are in the process of moving to Missouri - my husband is already there and I'll be giving notice and heading that way in about 6 weeks.

He had to tote all the wine currently cellared down with him when he went - about 180 bottles or so. He sternly instructed me 'NO MORE WINE BUYING' until I get moved down there with him.

I've made 4 woot purchases in just the last couple of weeks, and got in on the offer from Mike Drash yesterday for the GSM. When he comes up for the closing on our house here next week, I'll be loading him up with all of this that he'll have to pack/tote/unpack down to the new place by himself.

Wine.Woot owns my soul...

Welcome to Missouri!! Among the many benefits Missouri has to offer, you'll find we're always on the list of states permitting winery shipments through Wine.woot.com.

vannknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vannknight
ewqcsl wrote:Welcome to Missouri!! Among the many benefits Missouri has to offer, you'll find we're always on the list of states permitting winery shipments through Wine.woot.com.

Well almost always (I am from MO also).

Seems like we miss out on a couple of the non-US wines (although the I've purchased a couple of Spanish wines in the last few weeks).

catfishhunters99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages catfishhunters99

Umm, Maryland shops are not state run. They are all private.
Plenty of good shops in the Baltimore/Washington corridor. And up in my neck of the state, one of the larger shops is owned by a guy with a ton of personal contacts with small Cali wineries. Always plenty of selection, and I'm not even in the big city.

tewkewl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tewkewl
catfishhunters99 wrote:Umm, Maryland shops are not state run. They are all private.
Plenty of good shops in the Baltimore/Washington corridor. And up in my neck of the state, one of the larger shops is owned by a guy with a ton of personal contacts with small Cali wineries. Always plenty of selection, and I'm not even in the big city.

Sorry, not government run. but government licensed liquor stores/wine shops. in cali where i'm from, you can get good wines for cheap, even at costco. it's inconceivable that you would have that here in MD. in fact, in SF and in silicon valley (my old haunts) even humble grocery stores have an aisle or two devoted to wine. here in md, you actually have to find places to by it. this is what i meant. In Virginia it's different. you don't have to be a liquor store to sell wine. there are no total wines, bevmos etc in Maryland. i guess it's difficult to understand, but I feel ripped of in MD. in VA i get much MUCH better deals. the prices are regularly a couple bucks higher per bottle in MD (taxes and such). For a blue state, MD isn't very liberal with wine. this is my experience from living near bethesda, md.

sau124

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sau124

CT +90 and < $15
In for 1

I should come here more often...

tewkewl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tewkewl
sau124 wrote:CT +90 and < $15
In for 1

I should come here more often...

with 5 dollar shipping, it's 16.25...

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo
tewkewl wrote:with 5 dollar shipping, it's 16.25...

$1.25 - less than the cost of gas to run to the wine store and back!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

wineyum

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wineyum
catfishhunters99 wrote:I'll bite.

At your local wine store you can get wines from larger wineries, which often have production of 5,000 or 10,000 cases or more. In order to crank out that much, a ton of blending goes on, and you lose out on the individual character of the vineyard.
Woot offers tend to run in the 100 case to 1000 case range. The Saxon-Brown Syrahs I bought last month were around 200 cases each, and two of the three were block-designated wines, where only a tiny section of vines were singled out to make a unique wine.
These wines check in at under 2000 cases each, still plenty small enough for you to see what the winemaker wants to do with the vines.
While a wine at the big box store is going to taste very much the same from vintage to vintage, with wines like these you will see the differences in the years, and how the winemaker chose to deal with the different fruit. Drinking them becomes a learning experience each time you pull the cork.

I can't believe this didn't get you a "quality post" nod- it is a great description of one of the best reasons to buy from wine.woot. I'll add- winery participation and a great community of wooters where you can really learn about the wines you are buying and wines in general. In the year since I joined, wine.woot has changed wine drinking for me from an enjoyable but fairly impersonal event to a much more personal and fulfilling experience. As Robert Louis Stevenson penned, "Wine is yummy bottled poetry." Okay, I added the yummy part.

WaltW

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WaltW
sdilullo wrote:$1.25 - less than the cost of gas to run to the wine store and back!

Its $5.00 not $1.25 -- you can't buy just one. The "cost of gas" justification doesn't fly.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
WaltW wrote:Its $5.00 not $1.25 -- you can't buy just one. The "cost of gas" justification doesn't fly.

It does when gas is headed to $5/gallon.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jaschuyler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaschuyler

I also moved from West Coast to East Coast; we have enjoyed many fine bottles of wine from wine.woot; compared with the plentiful and cheap plonkers I was getting regularly at the grocery store in the Bay Area. People in the know here do the research for love of wine and are happy to discuss many aspects of the wine and the winemaking for each offering. At the store I had maybe a tiny placard, the wine label, and the price tag.

It isn't about what wine is better. Even in CA I preferred wine.woot because I didn't have the education, money, or the time to sift through the literally 1000s of different wine at my local grocery store. Undoubtedly there were good wines there, I just couldn't find it and I hated wasting my money on wine that turned out to be over-priced and over-rated in my opinion.

Find a method that works for you. Whinging about the lack of decent wine in MD isn't going to bring you more wine. wine.woot could. Your choice. Or you get to drive to VA for more selection but then you're stuck with choosing from a tiny placard, the wine label, price point and maybe your memory on what you've liked and not liked. If you like the wines you get all the time, great, that works for you. If you want to sometimes spend a little more on wines you otherwise would need to have shipped to your home from the winery, that's your choice.

Or you can go on wine woot and buy, like I do, when you see lots of really excited commentary on the wine and/or the winemaker, pay $5 for the wine to wind its way to you across country, and enjoy many fine CA wines without having to drive an hour or more for it. At nearly $4 a gallon, what kind of surcharge does a trip like that add to your wine?

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo
WaltW wrote:Its $5.00 not $1.25 -- you can't buy just one. The "cost of gas" justification doesn't fly.

Kyle answered for me!

kylemittskus wrote:It does when gas is headed to $5/gallon.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

In for one after reading the comments and the "Winemaking" page of the winery website. I like to support companies that practice sustainable agriculture.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

I haven't had these wines. Looking at the descriptions and the pH levels, they are the type of red wines I like. Our Bourdoux belnd recently offered on woot was also 93% Cabernet, and out next vintage has some Syrah in it as well. I look forward to trying these wines.

Synos10

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10

All thanks for the commentary - in for 1. Always happy to try a new vineyard.

jasonstephenswinery

quality posts: 25 Private Messages jasonstephenswinery

Thanks for all of the positive feedback on the wines not to mention the support from the Woot community. This is a pleasure to be part of this offering and a great way to share some of my wines. This is fun! I had the Cab with some lamb today at my favorite restaurant, Odeum, in Morgan Hill, CA. Great combo.

Unfortunately, I have to sign off for a while as I have a class on Chardonnay tonight. Live it, love it, drink it!!!

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers! Jason

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

After my last wine woot I decided I needed to lay low for a while and slow down. That was three days ago. In for one!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

smatzke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smatzke
cortot20 wrote:Since these wines are from Gilroy, what is the garlic percentage in them?

Also, are they Kosher?

I love Gilroy!

CatherineB

quality posts: 3 Private Messages CatherineB
ewqcsl wrote:Welcome to Missouri!! Among the many benefits Missouri has to offer, you'll find we're always on the list of states permitting winery shipments through Wine.woot.com.

Thank you very much, to you and Vannknight as well!! :-)

We own a farm in SEMO - bought it 12 years ago with plans to retire there. So far, so good!!! :-)

We are in Wayne County in the Ozarks foothills - BEAUTIFUL part of the state :-)

sfabian37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sfabian37

I can't wait to try these. In for 1

So many good wines this month

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
smatzke wrote:I love Gilroy!

+1 they could throw in a couple of artichoke's and some garlic

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

smatzke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smatzke
tytiger58 wrote:+1 they could throw in a couple of artichoke's and some garlic

No kidding! I travel to San Jose for work sometime and love driving through Gilroy during my off times...call me crazy, but I love garlic. I even eat the garlic ice cream....

singlespeed20

quality posts: 1 Private Messages singlespeed20

Dang it! ><
In for 1.
This will be my second ever wine.woot purchase...and It will probably just keep on growing.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
smatzke wrote:No kidding! I travel to San Jose for work sometime and love driving through Gilroy during my off times...call me crazy, but I love garlic. I even eat the garlic ice cream....

Yea with my daughter going to UCSC i was eating my way through there 6 or 7 times a year

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
singlespeed20 wrote:Dang it! ><
In for 1.
This will be my second ever wine.woot purchase...and It will probably just keep on growing.

It will. One 52 bottle cooler to 2 52 bottle coolers to a 500 bottle cooler to off-site storage to wife/husband leaves you to you live in your wine.woot boxes to...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I haven't had these wines. Looking at the descriptions and the pH levels, they are the type of red wines I like. Our Bourdoux belnd recently offered on woot was also 93% Cabernet, and out next vintage has some Syrah in it as well. I look forward to trying these wines.

Besides making really nice wines, you buy the wine from other producers. You are really a class act! I applaud you.

bradsbabe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradsbabe
sfabian37 wrote:I can't wait to try these. In for 1

So many good wines this month

Same here!

+1

Michaelb3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Michaelb3

Has anyone received this yet? Mine has yet to ship. When will they all ship? I mistakenly assumed that Woot's were for in stock items.

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma
Michaelb3 wrote:Has anyone received this yet? Mine has yet to ship. When will they all ship? I mistakenly assumed that Woot's were for in stock items.

My order shipped yesterday.
Mar 6, 2012 7:30 AM In transit RENO, NV
Mar 6, 2012 3:57 AM Left FedEx origin facility SACRAMENTO, CA
Mar 5, 2012 10:10 PM Arrived at FedEx location SACRAMENTO, CA
Mar 5, 2012 3:13 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx

cabernetharpo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cabernetharpo
Michaelb3 wrote:Has anyone received this yet? Mine has yet to ship. When will they all ship? I mistakenly assumed that Woot's were for in stock items.

Mine arrived just now: 3/8 at 10:01AM PST

Cheers, everyone!

jkalina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkalina
cabernetharpo wrote:Mine arrived just now: 3/8 at 10:01AM PST

Cheers, everyone!

I just cracked open my first bottle of the Merlot, very nice. I let it breath for a minute before enjoying

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy
jkalina wrote:I just cracked open my first bottle of the Merlot, very nice. I let it breath for a minute before enjoying

I thought the Merlot was very tasty also....

Nice legs....

Nice finish....

Alot of alcohol but getting a little inebriated at home every once in the while is not a bad thing.....

annabellesma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annabellesma

Opened a bottle of the cab last night to celebrate 2 Carolina teams in the sweet 16.
Dry, not overly fruity, very smooth....lovely.

Saw this earlier-
Sweet and savory aromas of chocolate covered currants, graham cracker, pencil, and pickled olive with a satiny, dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a smooth, creamy, fine tannin finish.

I could definitely get the chocolate and currants but missed the pencil(?) and pickled olive(?).

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

Drinking a bottle of the Cabernet tonight and it is excellent!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.