adams828

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adams828

WTSO 'marathon' today - similar to w00toff. follow them on twitter for updates or just refresh the page.

generally i find their selections so so, but they do sprinkle in some good wines and decent prices here and there. might be a chance to pick up any previous deals you missed if they had some leftover.

looking at the tweets this morning, they already ran through a 2006 opus one. might have been interesting as a gift, wonder what the $ was...

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran
hunterjaydog wrote:FYI - Free shipping on lot18 today.
And a bunch of new wines. Gonna use all my credits up I think.

2007 Volta Napa Cabernet Sauvignon or the 2006 Ravenswood Icon Red Wine??
I’m on wine overload right now but these look too good to pass up.

hesnctrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hesnctrl
bdlsmoran wrote:2007 Volta Napa Cabernet Sauvignon or the 2006 Ravenswood Icon Red Wine??

The 2007 àMaurice Bordeaux Blend "Horiuchi" looks pretty good too. W&S94 and WE94.

Anyone notice that the free shipping event is 24hrs long, yet the banner says it expires at 10a ET today?

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran
hesnctrl wrote:The 2007 àMaurice Bordeaux Blend "Horiuchi" looks pretty good too. W&S94 and WE94.

Anyone notice that the free shipping event is 24hrs long, yet the banner says it expires at 10a ET today?

"event is 24hrs long" -- maybe not in a row

It's 10:00 am 4/27 -- should be updated shortly

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
hesnctrl wrote:The 2007 àMaurice Bordeaux Blend "Horiuchi" looks pretty good too. W&S94 and WE94.

I guess they've fixed it, since it's now showing Ends 10am, 4/27 (which is tomorrow). They also have Epiphany Petite Sirah on there. This Free Shipping may be a good way for me to use up the last $60 of my credit.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bdlsmoran wrote:2007 Volta Napa Cabernet Sauvignon or the 2006 Ravenswood Icon Red Wine??

The Ravenswood Icon does look quite good too. Lot18 doesn't show the percentages, but I pulled it up on the Ravenswood website and it is 39% Carignane, 38% Petite Sirah, 22% Zinfandel, 2% Alicante Bouschet.

EDIT:
LOL! It's always funny how two wine critics can have such differing opinions. As shown below one thought it had rough tannins while the other thinking it barely had any:
Rated: 85 by Connoisseurs' Guide, Jul 09
Connoisseurs' Guide to California Wines
38% Petite Sirah; 38% Carignane; 22% Zinfandel; 2% Alicante Bouchet. There may be a compelling sense of complexity about this brooding wine's deeply drawn aromas of stony soils, black-berries, strawberries, pepper and smoke, but whatever intrigue or beauty its flavors may hold lies buried beneath tough tannins and will be so a decade or more before this one softens out, and, when it does, it is entirely possible that its fruity heart will have withered and turned to dust.

Rated: 91 by Josh Raynolds, May/Jun 09
Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar
Deep ruby. Strikingly floral aromas of raspberry, cherry compote, rose, violet and licorice. Fleshy and sweet, offering round dark berry flavors, a velvety texture and no apparent tannins. The finish is impressively penetrating and nervy, leaving tangy red fruit notes behind. This is delicious right now.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon

I dumped my credits on the Horiuchi. I like cab blends, this one certainly sounds like an international style. Worst case, I have some impressive 94 point gifts which cost me less than $8 each

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

hunterjaydog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hunterjaydog
cmaldoon wrote:I dumped my credits on the Horiuchi. I like cab blends, this one certainly sounds like an international style. Worst case, I have some impressive 94 point gifts which cost me less than $8 each

I hear ya. I unloaded my credits on the Horiuchi (4), the Fess Parker (2 - because my dad is a fan of Davy Crockett), and the Volta (only because I think this will be harder to find down the line than the Ravenswood).
Now I'm just waiting for the next voucher run.

Cesare

quality posts: 1469 Private Messages Cesare

How long till we see lot18 on facebook.
Facebook launches deals program

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
Cesare wrote:How long till we see lot18 on facebook.
Facebook launches deals program

The Facebook launch deals in my city are all very Sirius GPP "experiences". Nothing to do with food or drink yet.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
adams828 wrote:
looking at the tweets this morning, they already ran through a 2006 opus one. might have been interesting as a gift, wonder what the $ was...

IIRC - it was about $30 with the usual minimum of four for free shipping at that price point.

edit - it was probably $139.

redwinefan

I'm guessing this Lot18 free shipping offer is meant to defend against WTSO all day sell-a-thon.

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
redwinefan wrote:I'm guessing this Lot18 free shipping offer is meant to defend against WTSO all day sell-a-thon.

Lot18 is also putting out a lot more wine than usual today. My credits are low, but it's so enticing...

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
hunterjaydog wrote:FYI - Free shipping on lot18 today.
And a bunch of new wines. Gonna use all my credits up I think.

Yes. And that means one voucher + free shipping = two bottles of Ravenswood Icon for $5 out of pocket.

Hooray for me!

iByron
(was waiting for a Burgundy that ships to Virginia, but, oh well...)

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
redwinefan wrote:I'm guessing this Lot18 free shipping offer is meant to defend against WTSO all day sell-a-thon.

This can only be a good thing for We, the Consumers.

With grammatic license,
iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

hesnctrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hesnctrl
random122 wrote:Lot18 is also putting out a lot more wine than usual today. My credits are low, but it's so enticing...

3 more wines released in the middle of the day...I definitely say they are trying to compete.

cmaldoon

I'm Surprised that the "Horiuchi" has not sold out yet on Lot 18. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to my Amarone and Brunello bottles on their way. I'm still hoping for a decent Barolo (That is cheaper than the $150 one they have up right now)

cmaldoon

Gotta love a quick turnaround. The bottles I just purchased this morning are sowing as shipped ( with tracking numbers) I bet I'll have them before the weekend!

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

[quote postid="4456988" user="cmaldoon"]I'm Surprised that the "Horiuchi" has not sold out yet on Lot 18. I'm looking forward to it. quote]
Its been gone now for over an hour. I placed an order about 6 hours ago from 2 different offers and a tracking label has already been created. Horiuchi and Ravenswood would be seperate shipments, right?

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
bud8jr wrote:[quote postid="4456988" user="cmaldoon"]I'm Surprised that the "Horiuchi" has not sold out yet on Lot 18. I'm looking forward to it. quote]
Its been gone now for over an hour. I placed an order about 6 hours ago from 2 different offers and a tracking label has already been created. Horiuchi and Ravenswood would be seperate shipments, right?

It did sell out. Anyone any idea of what the Ravenswood will be like? Can't get a firm grasp myself from the blurb.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Anyone want some 2007 Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc? Shipping is only $10 flat rate shipping. I can get a case for $26 a bottle or $28 if it's less than a case (plus the flat rate shipping, plus any Sales Tax).

Need to know by Friday, as the flat rate expires by May 2nd, and I want to order before Saturday.

This one was 92 points by Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar, and 94 points in The Rhone Report, Issue #6 (11/30/2010).

Average 90.3 pts. and median of 91 pts. in 81 notes in Cellar Tracker.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

redwinefan

bud8jr wrote:[quote postid="4456988" user="cmaldoon"]I'm Surprised that the "Horiuchi" has not sold out yet on Lot 18. I'm looking forward to it. quote]

Ugh, I was wanting to get that one, but I was tied up at a concert tonight. Free shipping causes quick sellouts! For those that got in, let us know if this wine is any good in case they bring it back.

penduck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages penduck

i haven't looked over here in a while....somebody explain to me what this lot18 is and how it works???

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

Invino has some Cab from Raymond Cellars from the 80s. I'm fairly tempted, does anyone have any feedback on if these would be past their prime?

Referral linking is not permitted. Please remove referral links before posting.

CT Updating, please wait....

ahueston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahueston
hogfatt wrote:Invino has some Cab from Raymond Cellars from the 80s. I'm fairly tempted, does anyone have any feedback on if these would be past their prime?

I dont know much about them, but i did pick up 2 bottles of the 1986 as i have my 25th birthday coming up in June and what a better way to bring it in then to drink some wine that was born with me.

redwinefan

hogfatt wrote:Invino has some Cab from Raymond Cellars from the 80s. I'm fairly tempted, does anyone have any feedback on if these would be past their prime?

I went in on one bottle of the 87 per there recommendation as the best of the bunch. If I had more extra money lying around, I'd consider the whole batch as it may be a worthwhile education in tasting and aging.

The Invino notes on the 83 indicate it's on the downside but still drinking ok.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Just a reminder, folks: using referral linking programs is a good way to end up on probation. Lot18, InVino, etc, are all considered for-profit referral links.

Note that this includes Minions, Amazon referrals, Threadless, and any others as well.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

cmaldoon

Gatzby wrote:Just a reminder, folks: using referral linking programs is a good way to end up on probation. Lot18, InVino, etc, are all considered for-profit referral links.

Note that this includes Minions, Amazon referrals, Threadless, and any others as well.

In reference to normal referral links for lot18, invino, rue la la, and the rest: great, no problem.

But may we PLEASE do the living social 3 friends thing here on the rare occasions when it is up?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cmaldoon wrote:But may we PLEASE do the living social 3 friends thing here on the rare occasions when it is up?

After all, we are now only linking to a common, open spreadsheet that contains the links, and not posting the referral links themselves here anymore...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

onthevine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onthevine
RaiderSPE wrote:Speaking of wine accessories. Has anyone ever
used the Wine Balloon. http://wineballoon.com/

Looks like it would work very well but I would be worried about the Rubber in the balloon.

Funny, thought I was the only one. Saw a write-up on cnet.com and was taken by curiosity so I bought one. Product works very well and wine is completely unaffected by the balloon. Would probably make for a unique gift.

richardhod

cheron98 wrote:After all, we are now only linking to a common, open spreadsheet that contains the links, and not posting the referral links themselves here anymore...

Oh bollocks, they want to police the back stage too? Might be something to do with my being "got" on the front page forums. Evveryone here really assumed it did seem as if it was all ok over here, as long as it was kept just here (like, no dedicated threads to other sites etc.

I believe that the feeding frenzy for the livingsocials should be fine for them here, because it keeps us coming back to here, but just in this forum. I suspect that the spreadsheet approach should work, unless specifically prohibited. They'd be nuts to close that down, IMHO, because we'd all bugger off somewhere else to share this fun.

I have on recommendation of someone here also moved over to wineberserkers.com which might happen wholesale if they do decide to ban the linksharing frenzy. .Wineberserkers is just an enthusiast site, not tied to people selling stuff, but it has a lot more actual winemakers and people of rpm's experience there than there are here. They do have a lot18 thread when it comes to lot18 time. We'll see next time there's a link if we have to decamp wholesale over there.

The rule on no referral linking (which I'd forgotten about until ambushed last week) is mostly to stop spammers, but also to keep comversation clean and "disinterested" here. But they think of it the same way. I'm surprised the mods decided to police referrals entirely in this thread too, as the community norms in this "exception" thread help us bond closer and have some fun, and save money (for me purchases here too). Except this new obsession of the mods may be my fault, given the referral link currently in my sig...

Unfortunately, if you don't allow the people to own the norms of the messageboards, they do start to become disaffected and leave. I was incensed (and sent WD a message) when given no warning before a 4-day ban. And I may yet bugger off to somewhere my communications aren't so subject to the whims of mods. They're generally pretty good, but I like intelligent and flexible policing of rules, and to be informed of the conditions before being punished. We're not kids. I was a most supportive person. :glasses:

EDIT: Spark, indeed I realised that and was editing as you replied.

cheron98

richardhod wrote:Oh bollocks, they want to police the back stage too? ...

I suspect that the spreadsheet approach should work, unless specifically prohibited. They'd be nuts to close that down, IMHO, because we'd all bugger off somewhere else to share this fun.

Well, they can't police the spreadsheet or delete the spreadsheet - if they do, that's MY property they're messing with. The worst they can do is remove links TO the spreadsheet, but as long as people have the link for the sheet, we can use it. Even if that means someone has to ask for the link to the sheet be sent to them in a PM.

Or are we policing the PMs too, now?

MarkDaSpark

richardhod wrote:Oh bollocks, they want to police the back stage too? Might be something to do with my being "got" on the front page forums. Evveryone here really assumed it did seem as if it was all ok over here, as long as it was kept just here (like, no dedicated threads to other sites etc.

I believe that the feeding frenzy for the livingsocials should be fine for them here, because it keeps us coming back to here, but just in this forum. I suspect that the spreadsheet approach should work, unless specifically prohibited. They'd be nuts to close that down, IMHO, because we'd all bugger off somewhere else to share this fun.

I have on recommendation of someone here also moved over to wineberserkers.com which might happen wholesale if they do decide to ban the linksharing frenzy. .Wineberserkers is just an enthusiast site, not tied to people selling stuff, but it has a lot more actual winemakers and people of rpm's experience there than there are here. They do have a lot18 thread when it comes to lot18 time. We'll see next time there's a link if we have to decamp wholesale over there.

The rule on no referral linking (which I'd forgotten about until ambushed last week) is mostly to stop spammers, but also to keep comversation clean and "disinterested" here. But they think of it the same way. I'm surprised the mods decided to police referrals entirely in this thread too, as the community norms in this "exception" thread help us bond closer and have some fun, and save money (for me purchases here too). Except this new obsession of the mods may be my fault, given the referral link currently in my sig...

Unfortunately, if you don't allow the people to own the norms of the messageboards, they do start to become disaffected and leave. I was incensed (and sent WD a message) when given no warning before a 4-day ban. And I may yet bugger off to somewhere my communications aren't so subject to the whims of Texans. Many of us in the past decade have had bad experiences from the political consequences of allowing Texans to run public discourses and institutions in general. :glasses:

Politics belongs in the Poli-Ticks thread! Because otherwise we can go on about the bad experiences from the political consequences of allowing those from Arkansas and Illinois to run public discourses and institutions.

But other than that part, you are spot on about the ridiculous big brother editing.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Well, they can't police the spreadsheet or delete the spreadsheet - if they do, that's MY property they're messing with. The worst they can do is remove links TO the spreadsheet, but as long as people have the link for the sheet, we can use it. Even if that means someone has to ask for the link to the sheet be sent to them in a PM.

Link please!

richardhod

cheron98 wrote:Well, they can't police the spreadsheet or delete the spreadsheet - if they do, that's MY property they're messing with. The worst they can do is remove links TO the spreadsheet, but as long as people have the link for the sheet, we can use it. Even if that means someone has to ask for the link to the sheet be sent to them in a PM.

don't give 'em ideas. The enforcement is a little, um, pedantic. Thing is, no idea if it's one, or several of the mods. I do spy signs of intelligent life here and there, given that monkeycentral does smart and clever things with writeups etc. But yes PMs are not Verboten. Yet.

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Link please!

This one?

(The spreadsheet is clean right now - no referral links, nothing offensive)

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit
onthevine wrote:Funny, thought I was the only one. Saw a write-up on cnet.com and was taken by curiosity so I bought one. Product works very well and wine is completely unaffected by the balloon. Would probably make for a unique gift.

Am I correct that you just joined today to post this to us? What other similar products have you tried and how does this product compare?

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr
Gatzby wrote:Just a reminder, folks: using referral linking programs is a good way to end up on probation. Lot18, InVino, etc, are all considered for-profit referral links.

What's the title of this forum? You mean I cant read about someone referring me to a good wine deal? What ever happened to capitalism?

richardhod

bud8jr wrote:What's the title of this forum? You mean I cant read about someone referring me to a good wine deal? What ever happened to capitalism?

Well it is true that if everyone here did continue, as has hitherto been the norm, to post them here, and all of those posters were given posting probation, then there would be very few people to post in the forums in general, and woot's community would indeed suffer, for many of the the helpful people are also those here. And a lot of people might engage in a WMCWBM in protest.

cheron98

bud8jr wrote:What's the title of this forum? You mean I cant read about someone referring me to a good wine deal? What ever happened to capitalism?

No, I think they're ok with us talking about it, and even with linking to the sites... just not linking up a referral that means we're getting something out of it (like if I invite you to Lot18, after your first purchase, I get $25 in credits).