tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Fine, I'll be the sacrificial lamb so someone else can top :P

edit: okay that's funny, I always thought it was 40 posts per page, not 39, go figure.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 27 Private Messages bahwm
JOATMON wrote:Farther east than you're thinking of.

Are you still in the states?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
tenuki wrote:Fine, I'll be the sacrificial lamb so someone else can top :P

edit: okay that's funny, I always thought it was 40 posts per page, not 39, go figure.

First one doesn't count in the number of replies

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I would like to say to you & Otto.....

You guys suck!

I'm now addicted too. Btw, are you guys playing the Seasons one right now or just the regular one? I'm up to level 2-9 of the regular one so far. Maybe I'll check out the Seasons one.

I have 3 stars on every level on both the regular and Seasons.

Don't know if I should be proud of that fact or feel ashamed.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Does anyone know how or where to find out what is covered by the Honda 7-yr/100,000mi Extended
Warranty?
I just hit 95,000 miles on my '05 Civic and just the past couple days I'm having an issue with my heat. It will only pump out heat when my car is moving forward, otherwise it's hitting me with cold air. The split setting (body/feet) setting will ONLY blast my feet with ice cold air, I don't think the defrost setting is working at all, and I have to put it on the "feet only" setting in order to get it to hit my feet with warm air (which also blows warm air at my face). And I gotta have the heat turned all the way to max just to get the warm air.
So I'm thinking it might be some sort of electrical, or other weird issue. I highly doubt anything that could be wrong is covered in any way by this warranty that I had gotten with the car, but as long as I still got 5,000 miles left on the warranty I figured I should check into what's covered.
I can't find the flyer or documents on it, and so far Google searches have been fruitless.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Does anyone know how or where to find out what is covered by the Honda 7-yr/100,000mi Extended
Warranty?
I just hit 95,000 miles on my '05 Civic and just the past couple days I'm having an issue with my heat. It will only pump out heat when my car is moving forward, otherwise it's hitting me with cold air. The split setting (body/feet) setting will ONLY blast my feet with ice cold air, I don't think the defrost setting is working at all, and I have to put it on the "feet only" setting in order to get it to hit my feet with warm air (which also blows warm air at my face). And I gotta have the heat turned all the way to max just to get the warm air.
So I'm thinking it might be some sort of electrical, or other weird issue. I highly doubt anything that could be wrong is covered in any way by this warranty that I had gotten with the car, but as long as I still got 5,000 miles left on the warranty I figured I should check into what's covered.
I can't find the flyer or documents on it, and so far Google searches have been fruitless.

if it is an extended warranty, you'd have to go to the issuer (who is not typically the manufacturer). do you know what company issued yours?

and worst case, the dealer who sold it will know...

HitAnyKey42

joelsisk wrote:if it is an extended warranty, you'd have to go to the issuer (who is not typically the manufacturer). do you know what company issued yours?

and worst case, the dealer who sold it will know...

Guess I'll have to call the dealer tomorrow. I found my original bill of sale paperwork and such (which shows on it that the extended warranty was included), but no details about the warranty itself or the issuer.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Does anyone know how or where to find out what is covered by the Honda 7-yr/100,000mi Extended
Warranty?

LMGTFY on Heater problems.

Extended Warranty links - 4th one down was interesting.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Guess I'll have to call the dealer tomorrow. I found my original bill of sale paperwork and such (which shows on it that the extended warranty was included), but no details about the warranty itself or the issuer.

Chances are that it was the Honda 7 year/100,000 mile 0 deductable extended warranty, aka Honda Care.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
HitAnyKey42 wrote:It will only pump out heat when my car is moving forward, otherwise it's hitting me with cold air. The split setting (body/feet) setting will ONLY blast my feet with ice cold air, I don't think the defrost setting is working at all, and I have to put it on the "feet only" setting in order to get it to hit my feet with warm air (which also blows warm air at my face). And I gotta have the heat turned all the way to max just to get the warm air.
So I'm thinking it might be some sort of electrical, or other weird issue.

Ok is it only blasting you with heat when you are revving the engine, or when you are not idling or accelerating hard?

The first sounds like an air blockage in the heater core, the other a vacuum leak making the baffles go all wonky (assuming Honda uses vacuum to shift them about).

It's *probably* air and not something covered by the warranty- hopefully you just need a coolant flush & fill to be good again.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
Warranty?

I think you just wrote the script for Speed 3. The civic cant stop or HAK will get.... ....................chilly!

I know its not quite as dramatic as a bus exploding or an unstoppable cruise ship but I already got the movie rights and Jayden Smith signed on to do it.

edit: Yes, I know I am completely unhelpful, its just what I do.

CT

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
bahwm wrote:Are you still in the states?

Nope. Geneva.

Last business trip of the year.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
JOATMON wrote:Nope. Geneva.

For a convention?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
bhodilee wrote:For a convention?

ECMA TC47 meeting.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bahwm

Nice! Enjoy Geneva! I had the most awesome hot chocolate there at a cafe years ago. Yum!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

JOATMON wrote:ECMA TC47 meeting.

yeah but it's funnier if it's a convention

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:ECMA TC47 meeting.

Sounds more like a disease .... Oh noes!! Joatmon has ECMA!!! And the worst kind, TC47!

klezman

Sweet. Get some fondue. Looks like my guess in the cork forum was true, but not how I assumed

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

HitAnyKey42

So I'll be bringin my car up to the Honda dealer tonight for them to look at it tomorrow (I'll be using my grandmother's car, which my mom has up here from DE, in the meantime) and let me know what the problem is. I finally got ahold of someone at the company the handles my extended warranty, to get the confirmation that it supposedly covers any mechanical failure at all (be it radio, a/c, heat, engine stuffs, etc, etc) but that it HAS to be done at a Honda dealer. So hopefully whatever is wrong with my heat is actually a "failure" type issue and covered by the warranty. If it's just a flushing & refilling of coolant, or something like that, I have a feeling the warranty wouldn't cover it...which would piss me off (having to pay for a big ole diagnostic and then that work).
So I'm oddly enough kinda hoping it actually is some sort of mechanical issue...and get my "money's worth" out of the extended warranty which expires in 5000 miles.

I suppose I should also find out exactly what of the "radio" type of coverage it actually covers. I know I have issues with my radio, in that it's kind of "tingy" (don't know how else to describe it) and the sound coming out of the speakers don't seem right quite often. I think I may have asked them about this once before too, but seem to recall them telling me that if the diagnostics (which I think was close to $100) showed nothing wrong, I'd have to pay for the diagnostics since the warranty wouldn't cover that if nothing was wrong.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Was going to edit this into the other post, but as it was getting so long decided to make it one of it's own.

Does anyone ever utilize the dealer's "Scheduled Maintenance" stuff? They're obsenely expensive, I know, even if done by a regular mechanic type and even moreso at the dealer usually. I know I did the 15,000-mile one (@23,000 miles) at Honda and then the 30,000-mile one at Honda as well. Those are the only two I ever had done as full service maintenance things, and the car is now at 95,000 miles.
Should I think about having them do the 90,000-mile service thingy? The sheet shows this as the list of all things done at 90k miles:
Change Oil and Filter, Check All Fluids: Top-Off as Necessary, Test Function of Lights/Wipers/Heating&A/C Systems, Check&Adjust Tire Pressures, Replace Air Filter, Inspect Distributor Cap & rotor, Check & Adjust Intake/Exhaust Valves, Flush Cooling System, Check Engine Belts & All Hoses, Check Exhaust System, Replace Distributor Cap & rotor (as appl.), Check & adjjust Idle Speed, Lube Throttle Linkage, Clean & adjust Front/Rear Brakes, Lube all Locks/Doors/Gaskets/Hinges/Seals, Rotate & Balance Tires, Drain & Refill Transmission Fluid, Check Ignition System/Wires, Replace Valve Cover Gasket & Spark Plug Grommets, Check Parking Brake Operation, Replace Spark Plugs, Check Axles & Axle Boots, Check Emission Control System, Indicator Operation (ML Light), Rear Differential Service (PILOT) as applicable.
Pretty big list of stuff. And I'm sure it'll be at least $500 (since the 30k one cost me over $400 back in 2007).
Now I had STS do a Transmission Fluid Exchange this past February at 79k miles. And the Timing Belt (plus 2 K-Belts) & Water Pump replaced this past August at 89k miles.

I'm heading up there in 15 minutes so I doubt I'll get any replies fast enough, but when I get up there and find out the cost I'll proably say no to them anyway...but I'd just like to hear from ya'll anyway. Since if I don't do it this time, I may still consider it later depending on what the majority say.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I'm on my 5th Honda (starting with the original Prelude). I always do the scheduled maintenance, though In all the places I've lived, I've found a reliable certified independent Honda mechanic to do the work. Huge savings over the dealer. My extended warranties never specified I had to use the dealer.

I put an average of 30,000+ miles per year on my vehicles. I usually sell them at about 150,000+ for well above blue book. The only issue I ever had was a failed timing chain (belt?) on xmas eve many years ago. I was going just fast enough to need a valve job. Several months later, Honda came out with a recall re the timing belt, and they refunded me the entire cost of the repair.

When you look at what is performed during scheduled maintenance, it seems to me the tasks performed at 60,000 and 90,000 are most important. These are the systems that are most stressed over time/miles.

The real question is how much longer do you want to drive your car, and would you like to sell it private party, or drive it till it dies? Either way, the maintenance will usually get you the most bang for your buck.

bhodilee

sometimes random things lead to pretty cool things. There was a list of retailers offering free shipping this friday and while scrolling I came across this site, which could be really cool. though i do not lack for asian grocers in my town.

Cesare

quality posts: 1586 Private Messages Cesare
bhodilee wrote:sometimes random things lead to pretty cool things. There was a list of retailers offering free shipping this friday and while scrolling I came across this site, which could be really cool. though i do not lack for asian grocers in my town.

Yeah that's been around. mmm pocky
I haven't posted one of these in a while but this is for you: Awkward Pregnancy Photos

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

Well .... Good News / Bad News

Bad News: Driver runs red light in front of me.

Good News: Looks like I won't have to worry about HaK's heat problem in the future.

Bad News: The Wootmobile is injured, possibly totalled.

Good News: New car for Xmas!!!!

Edit: Good news that no one was injured too bad. My son was in the car with me, and we turned sideways. Luckily the car in the next lane was able to stop before hitting my car (about 8 inches away!) and potentially injuring my son.

Airbags good ... but the smell is really bad. Soreness in my left wrist (maybe hit the window or side door) and some swelling in my son's left leg (where he hit the dashboard - long legs), but nothing serious PTL!!

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
bhodilee wrote:sometimes random things lead to pretty cool things. There was a list of retailers offering free shipping this friday and while scrolling I came across this site, which could be really cool. though i do not lack for asian grocers in my town.

Sometimes it is nice to have a one stop place. Ok, the Blueberry Kit Kats are kind of scary, as are the yam noodles which have only 5 calories per serving and not much of anything else and are packed in a scary looking liquid.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well .... Good News / Bad News

Good News: Looks like I won't have to worry about HaK's heat problem in the future.

Edit: Good news that no one was injured too bad. My son was in the car with me, and we turned sideways. Luckily the car in the next lane was able to stop before hitting my car (about 8 inches away!) and potentially injuring my son.

Airbags good ... but the smell is really bad. Soreness in my left wrist (maybe hit the window or side door) and some swelling in my son's left leg (where he hit the dashboard - long legs), but nothing serious PTL!!

Accidents are scary. Glad you are both ok. Hope the insurance hassle is not horrible for you.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

MarkDaSpark

lauratchi wrote:Accidents are scary. Glad you are both ok. Hope the insurance hassle is not horrible for you.

Nah, clapped my hands for "State Farm is there" and poof! New girlfriend. (I wish that easy.)

Have had State Farm for many, many, many years, and never had a problem with them on claims.

Edit: Oh, and The Tourist wasn't bad. Good action. The son and I enjoyed it (it was his day off, so we saw it and then visited my mom). Then after the visit with my mom (knee surgery for those not following along) a nice dinner with my dad, sis, and son. Dropped by Target since my son wanted to pick up some things, and then on the way home .... BAM! And almost home as well.

After arranging the tow, we walked home, and he got in his car and drove home to his place.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:Airbags good ... but the smell is really bad. Soreness in my left wrist (maybe hit the window or side door) and some swelling in my son's left leg (where he hit the dashboard - long legs), but nothing serious PTL!!

Glad no one was hurt. Good luck with the new car and insurance settlement. Even with great claims service, it can be a hassle. Do you have another vehicle, or are they giving you a rental?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

One of the guys that works for me is going to Switzerland next year for a few weeks. He is trying to find out what he should do for phone service while he is there. He is mainly interested in GPS for directions and web access, not the phone so much.

I told him I would check in here, since we have a few globetrotters. That was a couple of weeks ago, but reading that Joatmon is in Geneva, it reminded me to ask.

So, Joatmon, or anyone who can help,
- What mobile system do they use?
- Recommendations on what approach works best to get services in Switzerland for a short period of time.

Thanks.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

YIKES!!!

I'm glad there were no serious injuries - that's the most important thing. Cars are just things and are replaceable, but you're one-of-a-kind, Sparky

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bahwm

Glad that you both are pretty much OK. Good luck with the insurance stuff. Happy car hunting!

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Glad no one was hurt. Good luck with the new car and insurance settlement. Even with great claims service, it can be a hassle. Do you have another vehicle, or are they giving you a rental?

I usually get a rental .... this weekend is the Motorcycle show, which Java and I had planned to go to (and check out the .... umm, bikes. Yes, the bikes, that's it.) shop around. Course with his new SO, ......

And thanks all (Cheron & bahwm) for the kind thoughts and prayers.

Just have to make sure the new wheels have room to haul around my wine stash.

And the only time I've had a hassle is usually because of the other insurance company. State Farm has always been prompt with paying.

Edit: Although .... I clapped my hands and said "State Farm is here", but my agent didn't appear.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
polarbear22 wrote:One of the guys that works for me is going to Switzerland next year for a few weeks. He is trying to find out what he should do for phone service while he is there. He is mainly interested in GPS for directions and web access, not the phone so much.

I know I'm not Joat and I've never travelled to .CH with a phone but from my experience:

If this is for work then have your IT people set him up with a phone/BB for Europe. If this is personal then he is pretty SOL.

While voice and SMS can be had at reasonable rates the same is generally not true of data. If he uses, lets say, 10mb he can expect it to cost at least a few hundred USD.

polarbear22

mother wrote:I know I'm not Joat and I've never travelled to .CH with a phone but from my experience:

If this is for work then have your IT people set him up with a phone/BB for Europe. If this is personal then he is pretty SOL.

While voice and SMS can be had at reasonable rates the same is generally not true of data. If he uses, lets say, 10mb he can expect it to cost at least a few hundred USD.

It is personal. Ouch.

And check your PM's. I need to get you the PS Port.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:It is personal. Ouch.

And check your PM's. I need to get you the PS Port.

:ears perk up:

PS Port?

ciaranannrach

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach
polarbear22 wrote:One of the guys that works for me is going to Switzerland next year for a few weeks. He is trying to find out what he should do for phone service while he is there. He is mainly interested in GPS for directions and web access, not the phone so much.

I told him I would check in here, since we have a few globetrotters. That was a couple of weeks ago, but reading that Joatmon is in Geneva, it reminded me to ask.

- Recommendations on what approach works best to get services in Switzerland for a short period of time.

Thanks.

Check out this site - another person's answer to the problem you are having. You get unlimited 3G internet for about 4$ a day. 3$ for calls, 2$ for texts, so on (and only if you use those services.) It's probably cheaper than trying to purchase some sort of international plan, especially for a short duration trip.

The only caveats are, your friend will have a Swiss phone number instead of their own, and your phone has to be able to work on that network. (And may need to jailbreak your phone, if it's restrictive like the iPhones are.)

klezman

Glad it's not too serious for anybody but the car.

bhodilee

Thanks.

GSM in the 900mhz or 1800mhz range, we use 1900mhz for GSM here unless he has a triband GSM phone (ATT and I think Tmobile). Fairly certian the iPhone is a "world" phone. If he has a world phone, he just needs a sim card. If he doesn't, he needs to get one. I guess you can buy or rent them. More info here about cell service in Switzerland.

Edit: and here is where you can rent a phone. Evidently, both these sites are from National Geographic.

Further Edit: or you can just buy a phone and be done with it.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Sparks bad day

Car wrecks suck, sorry to hear, but glad everyone is fine. If it's totaled are you getting the same thing or something else?

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

Glad to know you and your son are basically OK. Good thing that didn't happen on slick roads like today. Same thing happened to my wife a few years ago - red light runner T-boned her and totaled the car, but she was OK. Cars are definitely safer than they used to be (just don't tell Loweel that the government had a hand in that).

And the important yet unasked question - were any bottles of precious wine lost in the accident? We assume you always have a case in the trunk, just because you're Sparky.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919