gregorylane


quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
ddeuddeg wrote:Have you been drinking?



Who's asking?
Hey, if so...I'm holding her to it!

Besides, is that not the point of this whole damn site??

ooooohhh top...I'm better than the last top

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
gregorylane wrote:I'm replying to the second post.

Mamma Deb has put her foot down: Apparently we are in. Non-refund or no. So, the list starts behind us!

Seriously...she is firmly behind the concept that...We'd quit our jobs to hang out with you guys!

The rest of you all...the line forms behind Glane +1.

Edit: Wait...is Bowtie comin'?


Sorry, but the line actually forms behind me. Although not done publicly, I've already voiced my opinions about a tour for next year. So even though you may have posted before me, I'm still before you, so you can get in line behind me, though being behind me you are still at the front of the line so it doesn't really matter all that much. Got it?

And I only had a single glass of wine tonight.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I'm interested in the next tour, nonrefundable or not. So add me to the list and I'll keep checking to see if there are updates.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Geez! What did I start?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
bahwm wrote:Geez! What did I start?



Look for the 2012 Magical History Tours thread coming soon.

This time, I'm going to try to do two Tours - essentially back to back:

Tour 1 - Mostly for those who have not been on Tour before, should be very similar to the 2008 Tour.

Tour 2 - For those who have already enjoyed a Tour (including participants in Tour 1 who are gluttons for 'punishment') - Tour 2 will be much more concentrated on one or two varietals in one area: possibilities include Napa Cabernet; Chardonnay, etc. With appropriate digressions.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

gregorylane


quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Sorry, but the line actually forms behind me. Although not done publicly, I've already voiced my opinions about a tour for next year. So even though you may have posted before me, I'm still before you, so you can get in line behind me, though being behind me you are still at the front of the line so it doesn't really matter all that much. Got it?

And I only had a single glass of wine tonight.



Hah! Prove it!

And I'd bet you can't say that 3 times fast...but I know you.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
rpm wrote:Look for the 2012 Magical History Tours thread coming soon.

This time, I'm going to try to do two Tours - essentially back to back:

Tour 1 - Mostly for those who have not been on Tour before, should be very similar to the 2008 Tour.

Tour 2 - For those who have already enjoyed a Tour (including participants in Tour 1 who are gluttons for 'punishment') - Tour 2 will be much more concentrated on one or two varietals in one area: possibilities include Napa Cabernet; Chardonnay, etc. With appropriate digressions.



So if you're an active traveling member of the woot community, like, say, me, who has already met probably 95% of the people who would end up on Tour 2 vs. Tour 1 and would much prefer spending their tour time with that group but was completely unable to attend the prior two tours ... is it a prerequisite to have been on a previous tour to be part of Tour 2?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:So if you're an active traveling member of the woot community, like, say, me, who has already met probably 95% of the people who would end up on Tour 2 vs. Tour 1 and would much prefer spending their tour time with that group but was completely unable to attend the prior two tours ... is it a prerequisite to have been on a previous tour to be part of Tour 2?


Umm, by virtue of the fact that you would be included on whichever tour I go on...I think that question is already answered.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Umm, by virtue of the fact that you would be included on whichever tour I go on...I think that question is already answered.



Yes, of course, but there could be others Like um... no, they've already been on the tour... or how about... no, no, they're touristas too... umm...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

kittymac


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac


Oh yay! Sounds like fun. Where does the line form?

I'm new, haven't met anyone, and have been looking for a little trip that involved awesome wine and cool people.

Sounds like a winner....

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kittymac wrote:Oh yay! Sounds like fun. Where does the line form?

I'm new, haven't met anyone, and have been looking for a little trip that involved awesome wine and cool people.

Sounds like a winner....

Watch for the thread, and get in line quickly. Those who have been on either of the first two Tours will tell you that:
1) They are a blast!
2) You learn a lot, and taste a lot of really excellent wine.
3) Wooters are definitely "cool people."

Bahwm and I managed to go on both tours, and look forward to the next one.

We were all new once, and many of us enjoy getting together with other wooters to expand our horizons. Where are you located? There may be a wine.woot tasting event nearby.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

LSlipetz


quality posts: 10 Private Messages LSlipetz
kittymac wrote:Oh yay! Sounds like fun. Where does the line form?

I'm new, haven't met anyone, and have been looking for a little trip that involved awesome wine and cool people.

Sounds like a winner....



Agreed. I have been lurking and posting here and there over in the pub for a few months, but have yet to attend a gathering. This sounds like a great time. With my wife currently pregnant with our first child though, I will need to see about going on a trip like this...definitely a possibility though.

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I'm in (+1). Will be my first Woot tour, but 3rd time to NorCal wineries in 3 years. I am heading there in October (Sonoma Coast for 4 nights/ Healdsberg for 4 Nights).

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
gregorylane wrote:Hah! Prove it!

And I'd bet you can't say that 3 times fast...but I know you.



HAK has first dibs.... he's been pestering me by e-mail for a looooong time.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cheron98 wrote:So if you're an active traveling member of the woot community, like, say, me, who has already met probably 95% of the people who would end up on Tour 2 vs. Tour 1 and would much prefer spending their tour time with that group but was completely unable to attend the prior two tours ... is it a prerequisite to have been on a previous tour to be part of Tour 2?



What if I went? I haven't hardly met anyone but I'd want to be on the tour with the old timers. Course now I just need to sell a kidney so I can go, but I'm kinda fat (in the way that Politician's are kinda stupid) so I may need that other kidney someday. I'm at an Impasse!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
cheron98 wrote:So if you're an active traveling member of the woot community, like, say, me, who has already met probably 95% of the people who would end up on Tour 2 vs. Tour 1 and would much prefer spending their tour time with that group but was completely unable to attend the prior two tours ... is it a prerequisite to have been on a previous tour to be part of Tour 2?



As my old college catalogs used to say in listing prerequisites for advanced courses: A previous Tour or consent of the instructor.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rpm wrote:As my old college catalogs used to say in listing prerequisites for advanced courses: A previous Tour or consent of the instructor.

Excellent!
But that consent of the instructor thing almost got me in over my head in a music class once.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ddeuddeg wrote:Excellent!
But that consent of the instructor thing almost got me in over my head in a music class once.



I took a graduate level Karst and Caving course because the professor said I could handle it, but that I might want to brush up on my hydrology since I never took that course either. I didn't and it was a bad decision. Good course though, went back to grad school there to study under him, then he bolted for a school in Florida like two weeks before I started grad school.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm definetely interested and hopefully with a +1. I will let instructors decide on which tour I should (hopefully) go.

kittymac


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac
ddeuddeg wrote:Watch for the thread, and get in line quickly. Those who have been on either of the first two Tours will tell you that:
1) They are a blast!
2) You learn a lot, and taste a lot of really excellent wine.
3) Wooters are definitely "cool people."

Bahwm and I managed to go on both tours, and look forward to the next one.

We were all new once, and many of us enjoy getting together with other wooters to expand our horizons. Where are you located? There may be a wine.woot tasting event nearby.



Thanks for the tips!

I'm in Seattle... I haven't seen any woot events out this way... still Seattle has been a fund place to taste and learn about wine.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
kittymac wrote:Thanks for the tips!

I'm in Seattle... I haven't seen any woot events out this way... still Seattle has been a fund place to taste and learn about wine.


Odd, when I saw you post I was sure I had seen your username long ago and this was a "return to activeness"...but then saw your join date of 2011. Confused I is.

And I like your typo..."fund"...yup, takes lots of funds to taste and learn about wine.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
kittymac wrote:Thanks for the tips!

I'm in Seattle... I haven't seen any woot events out this way... still Seattle has been a fund place to taste and learn about wine.


Could be a great reason to put one together though, wouldn't you think?

(May have been a hint.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

I (and my +1) are very interested if there is a future tour (it would be our first!), and fully support the non-refundable deposit after reading about the issues from the previous tour.

It will depend on dates, finances, and banked vacation days available for us, though, since we'll be on our honeymoon in Germany and Italy in mid-June/early-July 2012, but if we can swing the dates, we'll be in.

kittymac


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Odd, when I saw you post I was sure I had seen your username long ago and this was a "return to activeness"...but then saw your join date of 2011. Confused I is.

And I like your typo..."fund"...yup, takes lots of funds to taste and learn about wine.



Well I started lurking somewhere around 2010. Learned quite a bit just reading the forums. Is it possible that someone had the screen name before?

As for "fund"... I’m going to go with Freudian Slip as my official answer. It’s shockingly easy to spend money on wine… sigh…

kittymac


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac
inkycatz wrote:Could be a great reason to put one together though, wouldn't you think?

(May have been a hint.)



Pondering…

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

2012 Tour? Sign me up! I'll have to make about 4 cases worth of space for all the wine I'll end up buying...

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Odd, when I saw you post I was sure I had seen your username long ago and this was a "return to activeness"...but then saw your join date of 2011. Confused I is.

And I like your typo..."fund"...yup, takes lots of funds to taste and learn about wine.



i think you're thinking of krissymac

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

I'm in, and with any luck will bring a +1 who isn't entirely devoid of wine experience.
Who that is remains to be discovered.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:i think you're thinking of krissymac


Ah yes, you're right. That's the username I remember seeing before.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

I'm in +1 for both tours. I just hope they are not scheduled during a business trip...

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

winetrancer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages winetrancer
richardhod wrote:I'm in, and with any luck will bring a +1 who isn't entirely devoid of wine experience.
Who that is remains to be discovered.



Can we help find your +1? what fun that would/could be.

I do wish this site had a like button because you all post some very witty stuff.

I want to repeat GregoryLane's commitment to this tour, it is a MUST do in our home. I hope that doesn't change anyone's mind.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
winetrancer wrote:I want to repeat GregoryLane's commitment to this tour, it is a MUST do in our home. I hope that doesn't change anyone's mind.

For those of us who have already had the good fortune to spend time with the two of you, the only way it might change someone's mind would be from "Can't make it" to "Gotta go!"
However, you won't be able to do it in your home. You'll have to go to California.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

wkdpanda


quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
ddeuddeg wrote:For those of us who have already had the good fortune to spend time with the two of you, the only way it might change someone's mind would be from "Can't make it" to "Gotta go!"
However, you won't be able to do it in your home. You'll have to go to California.



If we are starting to plan - then I am definitely in for both tours!! Was a great time.

I will, however, bow out of the junior tour if there are new people on the wait list, who will really want in. Only fair for new people to experience it.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

merbill


quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
wkdpanda wrote:If we are starting to plan - then I am definitely in for both tours!! Was a great time.

I will, however, bow out of the junior tour if there are new people on the wait list, who will really want in. Only fair for new people to experience it.



Sticking my foot in the door here. I will bring my +1 this time, so either tour could work for us.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

gregorylane


quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
rpm wrote:HAK has first dibs.... he's been pestering me by e-mail for a looooong time.



I am completely fine with that...I kid because I can. Can you expand on the 2 tour concept? I like Chards well enough, but wouldn't want to spend 3 days on "just" whites. What are you considering?

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

Have been following these posts for a while and although I rarely post(better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt)I've bought way too much wine through Woot.

I particularly learn from and enjoy RPM's posts (re: both politics and wine) and would also be very interested in the 2012 tour.

I will be in Napa/Sonoma first week in October and plan to follow RPM's suggested itinerary.

How does one officially get in line?

Is it broke or just fractured?

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I would be interested in the second tour. I would be solo. SWMBO not that interested, so I can use her airfare, etc. to purchase wine.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rlmanzo wrote:How does one officially get in line?

Just keep your eyes open for a posting about an upcoming tour, and post that you're interested. That should get you in line, and to stay in line, you'll probably have to send a deposit. Given the kind of enthusiasm generated by the previous tour experiences, it's likely that the list(s) will fill up quickly, so be prepared to act promptly once the opportunity arises.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:I would be interested in the second tour. I would be solo. SWMBO not that interested, so I can use her airfare, etc. to purchase wine.

This is an interesting system of accounting you use. In many homes, if LW isn't going, there's no airfare, etc. set aside to spend on other things. All you get is your own budget.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
rlmanzo wrote:Have been following these posts for a while and although I rarely post(better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt)I've bought way too much wine through Woot.

I particularly learn from and enjoy RPM's posts (re: both politics and wine) and would also be very interested in the 2012 tour.

I will be in Napa/Sonoma first week in October and plan to follow RPM's suggested itinerary.

How does one officially get in line?



Keep your eye out for the thread, which will be started relatively soon; perhaps in a week or so, or perhaps not until after Labor Day - some people complained last time the queue filled up while people were on vacation. As soon as it opens, post your commitment: that will get you a tentative spot. I may tentatively list the people who have queued up here on this thread and give them a short period to affirm their commitment. (In which case you've done the first step, keep watching though).

All of those commitments will be tentative. Once we have things a bit firmer, we will take deposits. There will be a period within which to get that in. If someone doesn't get their deposit in on time, they will lose their spot and move to the back of the waiting list.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!