cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mother wrote:

Besides, you KNOW you wanna spend two weekends in a row with me

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

WOOOO! Red Wings won!

Scratch the +2, it will probably just be me.

Also, can I bring food? Something mild and "serious tasting"-friendly?

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
afranke wrote:

Also, can I bring food? Something mild and "serious tasting"-friendly?

yes please!

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
cheron98 wrote:Besides, you KNOW you wanna spend two weekends in a row with me

I don't know if I want to be a third wheel in your burgeoning alternating weekend relationship with HAK

cheron98

mother wrote:I don't know if I want to be a third wheel in your burgeoning alternating weekend relationship with HAK

Oh please. HAK & tommy will have to fight each other for me. You KNOW tommy's always coming over

mattsito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattsito
HitAnyKey42 wrote:With our hearty wine & food fest in the Catskills out of the way and #10 theme and date set, it's time to start picking dates for #11!

THEME: Mondavi Madness

DATE: 5/9
HOSTS: Krugsters
TIME: 5PM

This tasting is going to be a special tasting in honor of the (almost) one year anniversary of the passing of Robert Mondavi on May 16, 2008.

The tasting will be a near all Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve vertical ranging from 1977 to 1999. Wines will all be provided by Krugsters (unless anyone else has any Mondavi Reserves to bring) and this tasting will include a fee to cover the cost of said wines which will get listed below.

Current known list of vintages for the Vertical:
1977 1979
1981 1988
1995 1996 1997 1998 1999
1994 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon
2005 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville
2006 Robert Mondavi Winery Merlot Private Selection California

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
1. Krugsters
2 & 3. Shamer (+1)
4 & 5. gijose (+1)
6. HitAnyKey
7. Cheron
8. marekny7
9. Cesare
10. kttest
11. afranke
12 & 13. The Italian Aficionados
14 & 15. mattsito & ronga

MAYBE:
rpm & swmbo
thatguy

THINGS TO BRING:
Fee for the tasting: 20 people $36 ($26 w/o Door Prize) or 15 people $48 ($38 w/o Door Prize), etc

$10 for door prize (included above): a MAGNUM 1979 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

Last updated: 4/10

cheron98

mattsito wrote:14 & 15. mattsito & ronga

Ahh, there it is. took me a minute to figure out what your reply actually was

Yay 15!

Krugsters

cheron98 wrote:Ahh, there it is. took me a minute to figure out what your reply actually was

Yay 15!

Who are mattsito and ronga?

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mattsito wrote:14 & 15. mattsito & ronga

Cool, we'll have guests from WineLibrary! Welcome, Matt. Have you already gotten ahold of Kathy for the details of where they live?

EDIT: Seeing Kathy's reply before mine, the answer to that is obviously no.
I knew I recognized the username (even though it was only just created today). That's Matt Sitomer from the WL staff.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Cool, we'll have guests from WineLibrary! Welcome, Matt. Have you already gotten ahold of Kathy for the details of where they live?

EDIT: Seeing Kathy's reply before mine, the answer to that is obviously no.
I knew I recognized the username (even though it was only just created today). That's Matt Sitomer from the WL staff.

ah, gotcha. GV's right hand man. I recognized the full name when I saw it.

Where was his original post though? I can't seem to find it.

Just spoke to Anton in the Cab reserve room at Mondavi on his opinion on tasting order. Very good input from him.

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:ah, gotcha. GV's right hand man. I recognized the full name when I saw it.

Where was his original post though? I can't seem to find it.

Just spoke to Anton in the Cab reserve room at Mondavi on his opinion on tasting order. Very good input from him.

He didn't have an "original" post. He just edited his name (and ronga) into his quote of the first post.

So they didn't just say to taste them in order of years?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:
So they didn't just say to taste them in order of years?

Nope.

The reserve cabs are in order by years of course but not the 3 other wines.

HitAnyKey42

So I just spoke with Matt and he's going to pick up a couple small blocks of a few different cheeses from WL before he jumps on the train. I gave him an estimate of how much and he'll choose the cheeses themselves. After all, I'm sure they have a better idea of what cheeses would go well with these Cabs than I do.
Currently it'll be all on me, unless any of you feel like tossing a few bucks into it as well. *hint* *hint*

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

So my mother is a certified loon and has decided she doesn't need to see her daughter this weekend after all. Which means reverting to the original plan. If Cesare & kt are ok with that, of course. I don't even remember the original plan.

HitAnyKey42

cheron98 wrote:So my mother is a certified loon and has decided she doesn't need to see her daughter this weekend after all. Which means reverting to the original plan. If Cesare & kt are ok with that, of course. I don't even remember the original plan.

As an FYI, I've decided that I'm driving in. So if ya'll wanna do anything during the day, I can join you and drive out early.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:As an FYI, I've decided that I'm driving in. So if ya'll wanna do anything during the day, I can join you and drive out early.

I've been to NYC so many times but never actually SEEN it. Y'know what I mean? like, I've never been to Central Park. Ever. So wherever anyone wants to take me tomorrow, I am MORE than happy with. Flight gets in god-awful early, C & K are picking me up... after that, I'm totally in the hands of all you locals.

HitAnyKey42

cheron98 wrote:I've been to NYC so many times but never actually SEEN it. Y'know what I mean? like, I've never been to Central Park. Ever. So wherever anyone wants to take me tomorrow, I am MORE than happy with. Flight gets in god-awful early, C & K are picking me up... after that, I'm totally in the hands of all you locals.

I LIVE in the "NY Area" and have barely SEEN the city myself. I think I've only ever spent any amount of time in Central Park maybe twice, if that? 98% of the time that I'm going to NYC it's either for a woot tasting or to a bar/club late at night. That's pretty much about all I've ever done there. I know I've been to one or two of the museums once or twice. Don't believe I've ever been to a play. Don't go to sporting events at the Garden. etc, etc.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I LIVE in the "NY Area" and have barely SEEN the city myself. I think I've only ever spent any amount of time in Central Park maybe twice, if that? 98% of the time that I'm going to NYC it's either for a woot tasting or to a bar/club late at night. That's pretty much about all I've ever done there. I know I've been to one or two of the museums once or twice. Don't believe I've ever been to a play. Don't go to sporting events at the Garden. etc, etc.

well clearly you and i need to go see the city tomorrow.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

All - sorry, we'll not be able to attend, my arthritis is still giving me trouble and I can't drink on my medication.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:So my mother is a certified loon

You know what they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

someone is going to pay dearly for this.

I'm still in detroit. weather at LGA is preventing us from being cleared for takeoff here. Supposed to check back at the desk soon. Bah.

kttest

rpm wrote:All - sorry, we'll not be able to attend, my arthritis is still giving me trouble and I can't drink on my medication.

So sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon!

- Krista

kttest

- Krista

Krugsters

[quote postid="3184374" user="kttest"][/quote

Great post!

kttest

Krugsters wrote:
Great post!

Thanks I saw it and had to use it!

- Krista

cheron98

Krugs & shamer, thank you so much for opening up your home to us weirdos and hosting last night. It was a lot of fun, and I'm so glad I got to meet yet another sector of wooters - even if the "regulars" weren't there

Cesare & kt, thanks for putting up with "I'm delayed. I'm delayed again. I'm STILL delayed." and then finally coming to get me and taking care of me for the day. Stupid weather.

hak, thanks for allowing me to crash at your place. Buy a coffee maker

Good chinese food for lunch today will complete the weekend of eating food that's only good when it comes from New York Had my pizza, pastrami, bagels... It's all about the food!

HitAnyKey42

cheron98 wrote:Good chinese food for lunch today will complete the weekend of eating food that's only good when it comes from New York Had my pizza, pastrami, bagels... It's all about the food!

And we ended off with some NY cheesecake after the NY Chinese food, and ended the day with some good ole NY TRAFFIC!!

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:And we ended off with some NY cheesecake after the NY Chinese food, and ended the day with some good ole NY TRAFFIC!!

It was wonderful Wonderful weekend So much awesomeness!

cheron98

...stupid doubleposting...

Krugsters

cheron98 wrote:It was wonderful Wonderful weekend So much awesomeness!

I agree. I really loved the company, the wine was very educational and I can't wait to see everyone at the next gathering.
Cheers!

Krugsters

Holy guppy! Shamer just told me that gijose MADE THE BREAD THAT WAS AT THE TASTING!! I thought be bailed and went to a great bakery downtown. I cannot believe that was homemade, it was awesome!

What an incredible effort, thanks so much for that!

kttest

Krugsters wrote:Holy guppy! Shamer just told me that gijose MADE THE BREAD THAT WAS AT THE TASTING!! I thought be bailed and went to a great bakery downtown. I cannot believe that was homemade, it was awesome!

What an incredible effort, thanks so much for that!

Yes, I had to tell Cesare that too, it was awesome bread!! Anytime you want to make that again gijose...anytime!

- Krista

Krugsters

kttest wrote:Yes, I had to tell Cesare that too, it was awesome bread!! Anytime you want to make that again gijose...anytime!

I think I have to officially decree that gijose is no longer allowed to bring wine to wine tastings....only homemade bread.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

how was the storage condition on most of the wines? Any notes? i love me some mondavi reserve.

HitAnyKey42

clayfu wrote:how was the storage condition on most of the wines? Any notes? i love me some mondavi reserve.

I'll post my actual notes tomorrow. I've been meaning to the past couple days, but just haven't gotten to it and I feel like crawling into bed right now. I expected others to post some stuff already. EDIT: Ok, you just made me go pull out my notebook to make my notes below complete even before clicking post the first time.
I'll start with....I won the door prize!

As for the wines a quick thing about a few of them:

The '77 was pretty gone and very porty. Heavy bricking, plumby, acidic. afranke actually went back to it at the end to drink it like a desert wine.
The '79 was sorta ok, but on a decline. Fig on the nose, dark cherry, good body, chocolate, lots of sediment. I really hope the '79 MAG I won turns out much better.
The '81: Dust, toast. Sour cherry mid palate/acidic. Decent balance. 12.7%
The '88 was my favorite (along with a few other people) and was very funky barnyard/dirty, earthy, mushroom and stuff. Myself and a couple others went back to it at the end and finished it off.
The '95 was also rather good and probably my second favorite. Still some tannin, complex, black cherry, still has heat, nice long finish. People went back to this one at the end and finished it off as well.
The '96 many thought to have a few hints of being slightly corked. Big fruit, big alcohol taste. 13.5%
The '97 was sadly cooked. And this was supposed to be the best vintage of the bunch too.
The '98 - Very dark, black pepper, blackberry, hint of mint. Big tannins & heat on finish. 13.5%
The '99 - muted fruit nose. burst of fruit attack, but quick to a bitter tannic finish. 14.1%

The '94 Regular Cab - Shoepolish nose, bitter finish. 15%
The '05 Oakville Cab - Oak, vanilla, olive

Much of what I have above also came from listing to what others had to say, as I really suck at descriptors.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

too bad on the 77. TMR sent me a bottle of his and it was delicious. Wonder what happened to it. thanks!

gijose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose
Krugsters wrote:I think I have to officially decree that gijose is no longer allowed to bring wine to wine tastings....only homemade bread.

haha, we'll see. I got home late saturday morning, and I had to do a lot of improvisation with the recipes, and almost pulled my hair out working on the timing for two batches of bread in the oven :D

NYC!

Krugsters

gijose wrote:haha, we'll see. I got home late saturday morning, and I had to do a lot of improvisation with the recipes, and almost pulled my hair out working on the timing for two batches of bread in the oven :D

Me thinks you need to attend the 6 week Artisanal Bread Making Course at French Culinary and make a career out of this.
Your bread was out of this world.