tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
MarkDaSpark wrote:Hey, I wasn't watching Pooh yesterday like some children .....

I could have made it easier and said T I double *G sound* ERR

And for the record I was watching The Muppet Movie

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker

You can officially take "Snacks" off of my name Sparky...who knew it'd be so damn tough to find a decent looking veggie tray. So it's just Java and water and a lot of booze...should I bring more?

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

Cj, I don't get manicures and my toes are handled strictly by the local hole-in-the-wall strip mall place, which is not near where you will be at all. Maybe MadWine has some ideas. If you are looking to splurge on a morning of luxury on the cheaps, though, here's what I recommend. Skip the manicure and call both the Aviara Four Seasons and the La Costa Resort and ask them if they have any special spa treatments (not salon treatments, doesn't work with those) available under $85 (or under $50 or $100 depending on your personal budget). It doesn't matter what the treatment is, although it is usually a scrub, because what you're really procuring is the right to hang out at their spa for as long as you want. Get there the minute it opens regardless of when your service is. Stay until you need to meet the guys for wine. It's so fun. I've not done it successfully at La Costa, but it is TOTALLY worth it at Aviara. Steam room (yum), jacuzzi, quiet and beautiful reading rooms with lounges, free cleansing teas, juices and fruit. Staff acting like you are worth pampering (and you are!). Private showers for which you do not pay the water bill and as many thick, fluffy towels as you want that you never have to wash, fold, and put back away. I strongly recommend trying it. I only wish I could join you!!! Oh, and don't forget to validate your parking stub.

Ok, enough about July. Back to June. Sparky, I bought a 2005 Killerman's Run Shiraz from So. Australia, along with about 6 artisan cheeses, prosciutto di parma, herbed turkey, almonds, blueberries, grapes, and crackers. I also picked a bunch of apricots and plums and your cake is happily baking away in the oven.

Can't wait to see you all. Please remember to bring MadWine's last name with you as you will need it to call from the security gate.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
nallie wrote:Cj, I don't get manicures and my toes are handled strictly by the local hole-in-the-wall strip mall place, which is not near where you will be at all. Maybe MadWine has some ideas. If you are looking to splurge on a morning of luxury on the cheaps, though, here's what I recommend. Skip the manicure and call both the Aviara Four Seasons and the La Costa Resort and ask them if they have any special spa treatments (not salon treatments, doesn't work with those) available under $85 (or under $50 or $100 depending on your personal budget). It doesn't matter what the treatment is, although it is usually a scrub, because what you're really procuring is the right to hang out at their spa for as long as you want. Get there the minute it opens regardless of when your service is. Stay until you need to meet the guys for wine. It's so fun. I've not done it successfully at La Costa, but it is TOTALLY worth it at Aviara. Steam room (yum), jacuzzi, quiet and beautiful reading rooms with lounges, free cleansing teas, juices and fruit. Staff acting like you are worth pampering (and you are!). Private showers for which you do not pay the water bill and as many thick, fluffy towels as you want that you never have to wash, fold, and put back away. I strongly recommend trying it. I only wish I could join you!!! Oh, and don't forget to validate your parking stub.

Ok, enough about July. Back to June. Sparky, I bought a 2005 Killerman's Run Shiraz from So. Australia, along with about 6 artisan cheeses, prosciutto di parma, herbed turkey, almonds, blueberries, grapes, and crackers. I also picked a bunch of apricots and plums and your cake is happily baking away in the oven.

Can't wait to see you all. Please remember to bring MadWine's last name with you as you will need it to call from the security gate.

OH man, sounds like way too much fun. Spa and wine! And sparky's Bday also.

Have fun stormin' the castle!

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
javadrinker wrote:Easy there Wyld Stallyns, we have 9 year olds perusing the boards now...not to mention my sweet virginal adopted sister.

Yes! That was a learning lesson for mommy, indeed! The boys were not playing nice . . . so I seperated them - a time-out. One in the family room, one in my office. Well you saw what happened. Won't do that again!

Had to sit down and do the whole internet safety talk, AGAIN!! Man, he even gave my name out too!!

madwine

Tick, Tock! It's getting close!

See, I was right w/ Java and the water thing! I called that from the start.

Sanity's wines were great. Tasted thru them last night and today. I made notes to share w/ you all. So sorry you all missed out on these. OOOOHHHHH, was I supposed to wait?

Kidding They are here w/ the foil intact!!

Till tomm. . . . . .

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
javadrinker wrote:You can officially take "Snacks" off of my name Sparky...who knew it'd be so damn tough to find a decent looking veggie tray. So it's just Java and water and a lot of booze...should I bring more?

Bread???

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Updates!! Less than 17 hours to go! Here is how it looks at the moment:

THEME: Thunder from Down Under*
DATE: 6/28
TIME: 5:00 PM (Stiletto Heels optional)
HOST: Madwine

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. Nallie
      - 2005 Killerman's Run Shiraz (Aus, Red)
      - 6 artisan cheeses, prosciutto di parma, herbed turkey, almonds, blueberries, grapes, and crackers
      - Apricots and plums,
      - Birthday cake
    2. MadWine / MadWino
      - Sauvignon Blanc (NZ)
      - Pinot Noir (NZ)
    3. Javadrinker
      - 2006 Bodega Tittarelli Torrontés Reserva (Arg – Torrontés, White)
      - 2000 Katnook Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Odyssey (Aus)
      - 2003 Ballast Stone Petit Verdot (Aus, Red)
      - Bread?
      - Water
    4. MarkDaSpark
      - d'Arenberg Chambourcin The Peppermint Paddock (Aus – Sparkling Chambourcin, Red)
      - 2004 Pisano ArretXea Grand Reserve (Urg – Tannat Blend, Red)
      - Italian Torte di Riso
      - Chili Cheese dip & Chips
      - Party Hats & Noisemakers
    5. Lucidgirl (Java’s Sis)
      - 2004 Neil Ellis Chardonnay (South Africa)
      - 2006 Montes Cherub - Rosé of Syrah (Chile)
      - tasty Empanadas from a local Cuban bakery
    6. Vchewjr (Java’s Sister’s Boyfriend (sounds like a Spaceballs conversation))
      - 2007 Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc Reserva (Chile)
      - 2005 Melipal Malbec (Argentina)
      - delicious Pineapple Upside Down Cake
    7. Madwine’s Neighbors (+??)
      - Vodka/Gin
      - Snacks
    8. TimByrd (Extreme Maybe, but here)
      - Yellowtail Wine (Aus)
      - Brownies

MAYBES:

1. Mbecker??
    2. LBISurfer2

REGRETS:

• Sanity
    - Stanley Lambert Wine 2007 Nordic Frost Riesling (Aus - White)
    - Stanley Lambert Wine 2004 Thoroughbred Cabernet (Aus – CS, Red)
    - Stanley Lambert Wine NV Choc-a-Bloc (Aus – Tawny Dessert)
  • Cjsiege
  • Clayfu
    -2006 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Durell Vineyard. (US – PN, Red)
  • everyone who misses this one

If your wine needs decanting, please bring a decanter. Glasses should be available, but bring your glass if you want (and leave it if you want to please MW).

And as Mistress Nallie puts it:

If your screen name is A-S (inclusive) please bring some Snacks, tapas, and/or savories. Store bought is fine. Cheese, olives, spam, whatever.

If your screen name is T-Z, please bring sweets.

* Southern Hemisphere wines (Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, and South Africa)

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

MyWoot-off handheld IR thermometer came in today. Should I bring it?

madwine

MarkDaSpark wrote:MyWoot-off handheld IR thermometer came in today. Should I bring it?

Sure, bring it! Jon & I bought some foodies too (sorry, forgot to update you w/ that info).

javadrinker

madwine wrote:See, I was right w/ Java and the water thing! I called that from the start.

First you tell me not to worry about it then you ride me for not worrying about it...it's like I'm married all over again.

Maybe I'll hit a fanchy smanchy Carlsbad supermarket and pick up a veggie tray that doesn't look like its been sitting for weeks...or better yet, when we're all done with our high falootin' wine snacks and we're all hungry and buzzed I'll just spring for the pizza.

Off to do some volunteer work. Check in later and then see you all even later later.

tommythecat78

You all have some fun tonight.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I'm home from my trip, and disappointed to not being joining you!

Ms. Nallie, thanks for being the glue to bring this group together, and madwine and madwino, thanks for being the foundation for the gathering.

Sparky (may I be so bold and familiar?!), HAPPY B-DAY and contact me for advice on how to handle the family (I'm a baby boomer, I have 9 siblings, most of them crazy; I can teach you a thing or two....).

Java, I hope this is the water you are supplying. THE WATER....not the bling you silly.....

Lucidgirl and Vchewjr...virginal?.... now really....get with the program.... you drink wine but you're virginal?...that's just wrong on so many levels...not to mention that line that was found shattered in 3008 in Bhodi, CA.

Madwine's neighbors? I sure as heck hope they help you drink those 18 bottles of wines!

Timbyrd, what's your brownie recipe? if you're willing to share, I am! I make a mean dried-cherries-soaked-in-port-with-chocolate-port-frosting.

CJ, Clayfu and the rest of the maybes and regrets, I look forward to August when we have a chance to meet.

And, is someone going to post useful note on the wines that were guzzled (consumed)?

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

When should we expect our first detailed report? D'ya think they'll take a break and post, or will I be getting up early tomorrow morning to read it?

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

tommythecat78

CpprCr8 wrote:When should we expect our first detailed report? D'ya think they'll take a break and post, or will I be getting up early tomorrow morning to read it?

If this thread has been any indication...I would say they will be ready to post sometime around next Thursday.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

I touched David Spade's hand today, he said "i'm sorry" i said Damn skippy fool. Everything was true except for everything after "i said".

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:If this thread has been any indication...I would say they will be ready to post sometime around next Thursday.

too busy drinking madwino/madwine's wine cellar.

also kareoke .... and someone's grannie panties, but not nallie's

madwine

MarkDaSpark wrote:too busy drinking madwino/madwine's wine cellar.

also kareoke .... and someone's grannie panties, but not nallie's

Nallie posting from MadWine's. Holy smokes, waaaay too much wine is available at this house. Anywhooo, despite what Sparky may have implied, nobody's panties - grannie or otherwise - were viewed this evening. But we had a blast. And Mark will post pictures tomorrow. Provided they make the womenfolk look young, hot, and sober - right, Sparky? Extensive editing may be required. So be patient. Whew. This took way too long to type. See y'all tomorrow. Or today, actually. But later.

madwine

p.s. Lamps are missing. MadWine is pissed. Java has some 'splain to do.
Signed Nallie under MadWine's login

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

what did you guys drink. I was there in spirit, i paid (well.. firm did) a 3x markup to drink Aussie Shiraz.

madwine

tommythecat78 wrote:If this thread has been any indication...I would say they will be ready to post sometime around next Thursday.

madwine

CpprCr8 wrote:When should we expect our first detailed report? D'ya think they'll take a break and post, or will I be getting up early tomorrow morning to read it?

Well I just put Java to bed for a nappie! His sis stole his hotel room, but that was a long time ago! Java & I just went to get starbucks, and then . . . he crashes and burns! Who remains? MADWINE!!! and w/ the mess too !

Sparky has all your detailed tasting notes. It was much fun!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
madwine wrote:Well I just put Java to bed for a nappie! His sis stole his hotel room, but that was a long time ago! Java & I just went to get starbucks, and then . . . he crashes and burns! Who remains? MADWINE!!! and w/ the mess too !

Sparky has all your detailed tasting notes. It was much fun!

Uber jealous

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

madwine

bhodilee wrote:Uber jealous

I don't even want to hear it! You supposed to be here! Nallie crashed. Jon crashed. Java crashed. And they didn't even let me sing my cool songs! I'm good, really I am! Actually Java's sis had to go and show me up w/ her awesome vocals! We kicked her out after that. Hence . . . she took Java's hotel room. I think in time we can repair the relationship.

MarkDaSpark

madwine wrote:Nallie posting from MadWine's. Holy smokes, waaaay too much wine is available at this house. Anywhooo, despite what Sparky may have implied, nobody's panties - grannie or otherwise - were viewed this evening. But we had a blast. And Mark will post pictures tomorrow. Provided they make the womenfolk look young, hot, and sober - right, Sparky? Extensive editing may be required. So be patient. Whew. This took way too long to type. See y'all tomorrow. Or today, actually. But later.

Just Thongs .... I keed, I keed. There was a lively discussion of grannie panties only.

And I was informed that I must tell everyone that Nallie, MadWine, & Lucidgrrl were all *ahem, Java, Avert your eyes now* ..... Hot. We don't want a repeat, Java, do we?

Pics will be up of the Bottle labels maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. The other pics, well, some will be posted this week sometime, and some will go into my assassin insurance policy folder .... heh, heh, heh.

And since I was supposed to get together with Java this morning, which doesn't sound likely with MadWine "putting him down", I may be able to get some pics up sooner (have to get home, but there is the family celebration today too).

Plus, I have to make sure the pics make Nallie sober, MadWine hot, and Lucidgrrl young. Right?

MarkDaSpark

clayfu wrote:what did you guys drink. I was there in spirit, i paid (well.. firm did) a 3x markup to drink Aussie Shiraz.

Java "forgot" to bring it. We'll have to hold him down while you and I drink it.

MarkDaSpark

Wines in order tasted (some years and info need my pics, which are in the camera, which is out of batteries):

1. Madison Cellars 2003 Viognier
    2. Whitehaven 2007 Sauvignon Blanc (NZ)
    3. Stanley Lambert Wine 2007 Nordic Frost Riesling (Aus)
    4. El Portillo 2006 Chardonnay (Arg)
    5. Bodega Tittarelli 2006 Torrontés Reserva (Arg)
    6. Montes 2006 Cherub - Rosé of Syrah (Chile)
    7. Veramonte 2007 Sauvignon Blanc Reserva (Chile)
    8. Neil Ellis 2004 Chardonnay (South Africa)
    9. Whitehaven 2005 Pinot Noir (NZ)
    10. Peter Lehmann 2005 Shiraz - Barossa (Aus)
    11. Kilikanoon 2005 Killerman's Run Shiraz (Aus)
    12. Soltano 2005 Malbec (Arg) (brought by neighbor)
    13. Melipal 2005 Malbec (Arg)
    14. Ballast Stone 2003 Petit Verdot (Aus) (MadWino’s favorite!)
    15. Stanley Lambert Wine 2004 Thoroughbred Cabernet Sauvignon (Aus)
    16. Pisano ArretXea 2004 Grand Reserve Tannat/CS/Merlot Blend (Urg) - Cooked
    17. d'Arenberg Chambourcin The Peppermint Paddock – Sparkling Chambourcin (Aus)
      - Vchewjr’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake
      - Nallie’s Death By Chocolate with PB filling Cake ( and what a way to go!!)
    18. Stanley Lambert Wine NV Choc-a-Bloc (Aus – Tawny Dessert)
      - Kareoke (Sparky had to fix twice)
    19. Madison Cellars 2004 Maximus
    20. Madison Cellars Merlot
    21. Madison Cellars … (PN??? – Java got a glass filled to the TOP!)

MIA - 2006 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Durell Vineyard. (US)

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:You all have some fun tonight.

We did! And the stories I could tell! But won't (nyah, nyah, nyah).

Java's sis can really sing. MadWine was threatening to remove her BFF app, but relented.

After watching MadWino and Java attempt to fix the Kareoke machine, I was drafted into helping. I got the two CD's that were jammed in it out (without having to open it, you're welcome!), so the festivities really began!

And then the CD that MadWine wanted to sing to wouldn't play, so my "Magic Hands" were called into play again to fix it. Away from our pool game to boot! I would have had MadWino if my concentration was broken (right .... sure ... no way josé).

MadWine/MadWino's neighbors were great at the party. Good people. Only called the cops twice ... I keed, I keed!

MarkDaSpark

Well, I'm handing down to check out. Benihana's here! Carlsbad is a nice area to visit.

Good to see everyone, and looking forward to August (w/ Loweeel), but also July with CJ visiting, and the RPM Magical Historical Tour.

Will try to check in and get some pics up, but probably tomorrow sometime.

Sparky

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

I am just posting to say that I am still not feeling terribly well and so I have notified the cdc that we must have gotten some of those infected tomatoes about which they have been warning us. Please call your local food borne bacteria agency if you attended the party and likewise have mild symptoms of food poisoning (headache, upset tummy, an aversion to bright lights and the smell of alcohol), particularly if you ate the tomatoes. Oh, wait. There weren't any tomatoes at the tasting party, were there... ?

Vey fun time. Best host and hostess ever. Now won't somebody please teach me how to turn down the loud clicking noise coming from the keys when I type on this damn keyboard?

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
nallie wrote:I am just posting to say that I am still not feeling terribly well and so I have notified the cdc that we must have gotten some of those infected tomatoes about which they have been warning us. Please call your local food borne bacteria agency if you attended the party and likewise have mild symptoms of food poisoning (headache, upset tummy, an aversion to bright lights and the smell of alcohol), particularly if you ate the tomatoes. Oh, wait. There weren't any tomatoes at the tasting party, were there... ?

Vey fun time. Best host and hostess ever. Now won't somebody please teach me how to turn down the loud clicking noise coming from the keys when I type on this damn keyboard?

Wait, I didn't think parents got hung-over - my eyes are wide open now

MarkDaSpark

nematic wrote:Wait, I didn't think parents got hung-over - my eyes are wide open now

Yes. We just wait until the kids are gone .....

And pics tomorrow sometime. Too much time with the family today.

javadrinker

Well I finally feel like a real human being again after pretty much writing off all of Sunday. I'm not sure when a sophisticated evening of wine tasting replete with cheese platter turned into a college frat rager but I'm sure the karaoke machine was in the transition plan somehow.

Many thanks to Dr. MW and Mr. MWo for their graciousness in hosting this event and I hope their home owner's insurance covers any damage we may or may not have imparted on their lovely home. It was good to see Nallie and Sparky again and I'm glad Lucid & Vchew made it...eventually. Great neighbors too.

Looking forward to our next gathering but I sure as hell will be tasting/spitting a lot more than I did this go around. If I recall correctly, I believe I spit...um 0 times, with a margin of error of +/- 0%. But that's just a rough calculation.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

You guys did go through a large amount of wine for such a small group. Comparable to the 27 wines for 17 people we had at NYCWWT#2. That much wine really detracts from the ability to "taste" them all. And that almost defeats the purpose of a "wine tasting" and turns it into simply a "party" (which from the thread title is what this ended up being).

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:I could have made it easier and said T I double *G sound* ERR

And for the record I was watching The Muppet Movie

OOPS! It was the GHER sound. I have a mind like a steel trap ..... that rusted open!

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Well I finally feel like a real human being again after pretty much writing off all of Sunday. I'm not sure when a sophisticated evening of wine tasting replete with cheese platter turned into a college frat rager but I'm sure the karaoke machine was in the transition plan somehow.

Many thanks to Dr. MW and Mr. MWo for their graciousness in hosting this event and I hope their home owner's insurance covers any damage we may or may not have imparted on their lovely home. It was good to see Nallie and Sparky again and I'm glad Lucid & Vchew made it...eventually. Great neighbors too.

Looking forward to our next gathering but I sure as hell will be tasting/spitting a lot more than I did this go around. If I recall correctly, I believe I spit...um 0 times, with a margin of error of +/- 0%. But that's just a rough calculation.

It's Alive! ALIVE! .... or whatever it was that Dr. Frankenstein said when the monster ... err, creature awoke.

Glad you made it back to the land of the living Java.

And it was after the older neighbors left, that the kareoke machine came out.

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:You guys did go through a large amount of wine for such a small group. Comparable to the 27 wines for 17 people we had at NYCWWT#2. That much wine really detracts from the ability to "taste" them all. And that almost defeats the purpose of a "wine tasting" and turns it into simply a "party" (which from the thread title is what this ended up being).

Well, there were 5 other people there. 4 of Dr. Madwine's neighbors and a friend of theirs. And one friend went home to his wife (2 doors away) in pretty much the same condition as Java.

MadWino was a very generous Pourer as well. And a very generous host, breaking out the additonal Madison Cellars (Excellent wines!) bottles at the end.

lucidgrrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucidgrrl
javadrinker wrote:Well I finally feel like a real human being again after pretty much writing off all of Sunday. I'm not sure when a sophisticated evening of wine tasting replete with cheese platter turned into a college frat rager but I'm sure the karaoke machine was in the transition plan somehow.

I'll have mom cancel the search party...

and as for the rest of what my brother said... ditto, except with a lot less wine...

we had a wonderful time, up until we get kicked out for my singing antics. *sigh* (I wonder if this BFF tattoo I got will help patch things up)

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd

After reading about the aftermath, I think I made the right decision.

(After being at work pretty late on Friday, I knew I was in no state to drive down to Carlsbad without another person in the car to keep me awake. I'm glad I stayed home and made ice cream - Dutch chocolate to make sure the ice cream maker is still working.)

-- T
Who still needs to pick up the order of Aussie wine he'd meant to bring to the tasting...

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

MarkDaSpark

Okay, here are the pictures that don't need approval for posting (nothing to identify via picture) or that show Dr. Madwine, Nallie, & Lucidgrrl as hot, sober, and young. Ain't Photoshop fun??

Hopefully this will work, but let me know, and I will move the pics someplace other than Picasa.

SoCAL June 2008 Public Pics

Have to get approval on the other pics. The non x-rated ones that is ...