+ Add a Comment

mudhen1960

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mudhen1960

I am having woot wine withdrawls!

Bring on the next woot! Please? Pretty please?

kahuna75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kahuna75

Just saw this stuff at our wine shop for the first time all bottles were between 10 and 13 a pop.

unconquerable

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unconquerable

How long does this take to ship?

halfginger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halfginger
MinistrOfJustiz wrote:
Not much of a chance in the near future, I would think, since they partnered with a CA company for all the logistics. We're probably only going to see CA wines for a good while.

Or Oregon, or Washington...

Skihard1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skihard1

Got mine already and the UPS guy just left it on my door step in the snow. Not impressed with that, all he had to do was knock or ring the bell, but I guess he was in such a hurry he didn't need me to sign for it or anything.

alphamale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alphamale

On my calender Sunday is the first day of the week. Start the new wine-woot on Sunday.

ConradVernon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ConradVernon

This is one that I wanted to take part in.... Damn me for waiting till now to look. Damn woot off absorbed me earlier this week...

MinistrOfJustiz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MinistrOfJustiz
halfginger wrote:

Or Oregon, or Washington...

True, true. It's just so much easier to type "CA" instead of "Pac NW".... My bad, though. I meant no disrespect to the Pacific northwest. If the ocean wasn't on the wrong side, this East Coaster would be in Oregon in a heartbeat.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter

About eight more hours as I type.
Any speculation about the new Woot?

sdrawkcab3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sdrawkcab3

Hey woot, I want to try a viognier...(hint, hint)

lhamilt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lhamilt

I wish I had known about wine.woot.com sooner. I've been on woot.com for several weeks, but just learned of this one.

It looks like the next "wine" starts on Monday ... what time zone does Woot use? It's 11:00 EST now! (One hour to go?)

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
lhamilt wrote:It looks like the next "wine" starts on Monday ... what time zone does Woot use? It's 11:00 EST now! (One hour to go?)

Central. Dallas, TX

donbon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donbon
lhamilt wrote:
It looks like the next "wine" starts on Monday ... what time zone does Woot use? It's 11:00 EST now! (One hour to go?)

new woot goes up at midnight central time.

MinistrOfJustiz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MinistrOfJustiz
lhamilt wrote:I wish I had known about wine.woot.com sooner. I've been on woot.com for several weeks, but just learned of this one.

Why the quotatioin marks? Is it not really going to be wine? What is it?

sluttylimeade

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sluttylimeade

just got this today!

dnarayanan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnarayanan

anyone who's received this try this out yet?

thesis schmesis

last wootage: poizin

peacheasy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peacheasy
schuster1 wrote:I hope Wine.woot will start listing the type of closure. I am very partial to synthetic cork and screw tops- completely eliminates the possibility of "corked" wine, which affects ~10% of all wine sealed with traditional cork... and probably a higher percentage of "discount" and "special buy" wines...

While on a wine tasting tour in Oregon, the host of a family owned place showed us a few "corked" bottles. There were 3 hosts and about 7 visiting tasters who all sampled some of the "corked" bottle. He mentioned that he sees at least a few "corked" bottles a day on busy days and has yet to come across one that tastes any different. He stated that storage and temperature will effect a wine more than "corked" issues ever could.

romanbway

quality posts: 0 Private Messages romanbway
peacheasy wrote:

While on a wine tasting tour in Oregon, the host of a family owned place showed us a few "corked" bottles. There were 3 hosts and about 7 visiting tasters who all sampled some of the "corked" bottle. He mentioned that he sees at least a few "corked" bottles a day on busy days and has yet to come across one that tastes any different. He stated that storage and temperature will effect a wine more than "corked" issues ever could.

Shared the Syrah last night. It went wonderfully with the Pork and Apples I brought back from Vermont this weekend. The closure is Synthetic cork. What kind of critter is that on the bottle?

teknubic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teknubic

This is my first wine.woot and am excited to try it out, however, I ordered a week ago and still have not received a shipping notification or tracking number. Is this normal?

m5rammy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages m5rammy

Greetings from an experienced wooter in Ohio.

This is my first Wine.Woot. Arrived today, much quicker than I expected based on older WW discussions. Well-packed in two styrofoam duets (well, what would you call them?) per box, with the gift card. I don't know yet to whom (if anyone) I will gift some bottles, so I just put my name as the from part of the card when I ordered (can't leave everything blank). Fortunately it was indeed printed at the bottom of the inside, and not in the middle, in case you want to try that.

I will (perhaps) post a comment about the wine itself after trying one of them (or wait until I've tried 2 or all 3) in a couple o' days. Right now we're working on an Italin white.

R

thejanedoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejanedoe

Just have to say I tried the Pinot Noir last night and it was YUMMY!!! Do this woot again I want more!!

dmax801

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dmax801

In the middle of a third glass of the Chardonnay right now.

Have to say that I couldn't recommend it. It has a bit of an olive drab tone to it. Taste isn't particularly fruity or clean, and it has a bit of a rough finish.

Why the third glass? My wife won't touch it (doesn't like whites, usually) and I've got it opened...

I gave the flight of this to some friends last weekend as a house warming gift, and now I"m a bit hoping that I'm there when they open it so that I can drink it instead of them.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

dmax801 wrote:In the middle of a third glass of the Chardonnay right now.

Have to say that I couldn't recommend it. It has a bit of an olive drab tone to it. Taste isn't particularly fruity or clean, and it has a bit of a rough finish.

Why the third glass? My wife won't touch it (doesn't like whites, usually) and I've got it opened...

I gave the flight of this to some friends last weekend as a house warming gift, and now I"m a bit hoping that I'm there when they open it so that I can drink it instead of them.

Still waiting on mine to show up, but I would say it's a bit premature to rate the reds based on the Chard. However, such is the risk of gifting un-sampled goods. ;)

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

deaha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deaha
teknubic wrote:This is my first wine.woot and am excited to try it out, however, I ordered a week ago and still have not received a shipping notification or tracking number. Is this normal?

Yes, that is not unusual. Sometimes I receive the wine before I receive the shippnig information. Don't worry, it will get there!

By the way, Wine Connect Country does a superb job with packing. I received mine yesterday. It looked like UPS had drop kicked to box a few times but the bottles were still intact.

threemoons

quality posts: 19 Private Messages threemoons

Had the Syrah last night--had a compound cork, btw, no screwtop in sight--and it was wonderful! I had it with some posh cheesies from Murray's Cheese in NYC, some almond and date bread, fresh baugette, and fresh plums.

jkirkc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkirkc

Got my 8 bottles today. I have had Fess Parkers other wines before(cab & merlot)
and really enjoyed them, but I have not tried any of these before.

I am anxious to try these Parker Station wines.

ivioo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ivioo

I got mine today. UPS sux, had to wait in line for will call (no ones home to sign for it) for an hour and 15 mins plus i had to drive 50 miles round trip to get there grrrrr . . . can't wait to try it tomorrow night. this was my first wine.woot and after i bought it the site said will get here in weeks but i got it in less then 10 days so

Good speed woot
Bad speed UPS

I'm not sure if i will wine.woot again just for the fact of the whole UPS crap, maybe If I can talk to the Purching agent at work and he can save it in his office for me without opening it up and/or drinking it lol

Shut up and take my money...again

ivioo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ivioo

its 1am for us in EST

lhamilt wrote:I wish I had known about wine.woot.com sooner. I've been on woot.com for several weeks, but just learned of this one.

Shut up and take my money...again

sluttylimeade

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sluttylimeade

tried the syrah yesterday night. a special someone wanted to cook me a delicious prime rib dinner, so i volunteered to bring the wine (cheesy? maybe, but impressed she was)

it was really good, exactly as described. i'm not a big wine enthusiast (college student), but i served some pretty high-quality stuff while waiting tables in dallas; the grey-rubber cork gave me a little laugh. i think it would go great with anything, even for those of us who are a little too accustomed to taco bell and cranberry juice. i'm not a big fan of reds, but this was flavorful and finished smoothly. i'd recommend this to anyone who is just getting into reds or wine in general.

karrun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karrun

Still waiting for mine to ship, ordered it a week and a half ago. Anyone else from Illinois experiencing a long wait? Funny, last time I wine wooted, I received my order in less than a week.

Aflaedge

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Aflaedge

Besides the one week wait after the wine is delivered to compensate for shock in transit has anybody found if this wine should be cellared or imbibed soon?

Wines this wooter has wooted
  • Vino Noceto Sangiovese & Zin 3+1 (QTY 1)
  • Sierra Club Chardonnay Quartet (QTY 1)
  • Parker Station Critter Quartet (QTY 1)
  • Jepson Winery Mendocino Mix (QTY 1)
  • Vina Robles Quartet (QTY 1)
  • Wine 0' Elvis (QTY 1)
  • SakeOne Sake Quartet (QTY 1)
  • Woot Cellars Humbug Crate w/shirt (QTY 1)
  • Mandolina Woot-off 4 Pack (QTY 1)
  • SakeOne Sake Sampler Trio (QTY 1)

bigfrank

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bigfrank

Got mine last night. Might try it over the weekend. I am having some friends over tonight for wine and Cigars so I may open one up tonight.

join me in the hot tub at www.bigfrankshottub.com

khuyagts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages khuyagts

Got My Parker Station. I opened the syrah last night. It was surprisingly good wine. I'm a college student, not such a wine dude, but this syrah smells just like the Italian Burnello and Barolo and with smooth finish! OHH love it! I'm glade I have two of this! I look forward to try out the other wines.

P.S. What is the deal with gray cork?

<)>

HughH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HughH
kevo152 wrote:

I have purchased the '03 Chardonnay at BevMo in the past. I use it as an easy "go to Chardonnay" for company. It's tasty stuff. I've had several people tell me that it is one of the better whites they have tried.

I just opened the Chardonay and found it overly oaked. The Pinot Noir was even worst, completely devoid of fruit flavors. I just can't believe how some of these wineries stay in business puting out junk like this! They just try to hide the poor quality of the grape with the oak from the barrel.

I'll never wate my money on a bottle of wine from this winery!

HughH

stargrey wrote:

Agreed. The one w00t.wine deal I've done thus far was the Foppiano Sangiovese - nowhere close to ready (per other people's opinions coupled with my own - I had to open a bottle after it had arrived and settled for a couple of days, y'know?!?), but based on how it went down 2 hours after it was decanted I'm guessing it has about another year to go. I probably won't crack open that 2nd bottle till Thanksgiving next year. (And will have reliable stand-bys waiting just in case.) Honestly, I think it's probably not going to be ready till mid-2008.

For my money, dollar-for-dollar there is no better wine than Marqués de Cáceres Gran Reserva 1994. 12 years old, like a young scotch! I saw it in a "trendy" grocery store for $26 a bottle back in 2003 and decided to try it on a lark. Had never even heard of this Spanish vineyard. To spare you the poetic/boring details of the experience, I'll skip to this: I now buy up every bottle I can find (most for $23) and get it into the cellar. This is the de facto standard by which I measure other wines now. If you haven't tried, I encourage you to find it. It will serve well with beef (a nice Churrasco w/Chimichurri), but it stands up well enough on its own to be served without food. This isn't some tinny, thin, red table wine - it's the wine equivalent of drinking velvet. (Sorry, it's the only way I can describe it.)

Okay, I gotta' go now - I hear a bottle calling my name. (TGIF)

Good taste! I've been a customer of Marques de Caceres for many years now. One of the prestigious wine makers from Spain. I cant find any Gran Reserva around here, but their Crianza is readily available for around $12 in the Arlington/Ft Worth area. I am sure it doesn't comapare to the Gran Reserva, but it will show the same style and grape of this great wine maker using the Tempranillo from the same region, Rioja.

I used to find this wine really cheap when I was stationed in Europe. Much more $$$ here, but still a very good buy for the money.

Churrasco/Chimichurri...ah, great memories from Gaucho roasted meat when I visited Argentina courtesy of the USAF, many years ago!

mmmschneid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmmschneid

I just finished one of the Syrahs and have to say that I was surprised on how much I enjoyed it. I have only tried one other Syrah (Chatueau Ste. Michelle, I think) and I was not impressed by it.

I now find myself wishing that I had ordered two.

Very good woot!

HughH

mmmschneid wrote:I just finished one of the Syrahs and have to say that I was surprised on how much I enjoyed it. I have only tried one other Syrah (Chatueau Ste. Michelle, I think) and I was not impressed by it.

I now find myself wishing that I had ordered two.

Very good woot!
Glad you enjoyed the Syrah. I just opened mine tonight and found it much better than either the Chard or the Pinot. Still, I find it lacking in fruit and complexity. But, what can you expect for the Woot price? I'd score it 79.
Hugh

JPinAZ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JPinAZ

I'm in AZ and am still waiting for shipping confirmation. Order date was 10/11.

dnarayanan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnarayanan
JPinAZ wrote:I'm in AZ and am still waiting for shipping confirmation. Order date was 10/11.

im in AZ too - i hardly ever get shipping confirmations. but the two orders i've gotten so far have taken just about 4 weeks each - so head to trader joes to get something to hold you over for a bit

thesis schmesis

last wootage: poizin

spie0092

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spie0092

Mine still hasn't been shipped. Whats the deal?