nobodyimportant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nobodyimportant

Hmmmm. Am I the only one still seeing "beta" in the logo on the main page?

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
nobodyimportant wrote:Hmmmm. Am I the only one still seeing "beta" in the logo on the main page?

The images cache for some period of time...I don't remember how long. If you hit refresh (or possibly, but I don't think so, shift-refresh) you'll get the non-beta logo.

stopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stopper

hey all, if anyone needs their faith in St. Supery restored (from the last offering perhaps), I'd recommend picking up a bottle of their Élu meritage blend. Theres definately nothing close to a "super savings" deal you're going to get anywhere, to be sure, but I've had a couple bottles of both the 00' and '01 selections and they are absolutely fantastic.

exphys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exphys
stopper wrote:hey all, if anyone needs their faith in St. Supery restored (from the last offering perhaps), I'd recommend picking up a bottle of their Élu meritage blend. Theres definately nothing close to a "super savings" deal you're going to get anywhere, to be sure, but I've had a couple bottles of both the 00' and '01 selections and they are absolutely fantastic.

Their Elu is good and their Dollarhide and Rutherford are excellent (sans 2000). However their base wines lack bouquet, balance and finish. There are many Spanish and Australian wines at this price point to consider.

AstonM

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AstonM

I like St. Supery but I have to pass, I'm over budget and woot is partly to blame

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
Winedavid39 wrote:

So all, Keffer is Lesley- a high ranking VP with St. Supery and an early believer in wine.woot. She's the one to ask questions about this great (my humble opinion) Napa Valley Winery. Thanks for checking in Lesley.

Lesley (Keffer)... I still have several bottles of the Merlot and Cab (both 2000) from the first wine woot. Can you advise me whether they will still be good to drink for a few more years? And, what can you tell us about the '02 Cab?

Thanks!!

galewskj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages galewskj

This offering is kind of lame. It's the exact same wine as the first wine.woot offering - but for MORE money. If you're trying to sell off something, shouldn't you sell it for less than before? Last time it was 2 cabernet's and 2 merlots for $60, now 2 merlots and one cabernet for $50. Given the fact that their cabernet is of better quality than the merlot (and more expensive) and the merlot is getting quite old, I won't be partaking.

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
nobodyimportant wrote:Hmmmm. Am I the only one still seeing "beta" in the logo on the main page?

We are still seeing the Beta image because the CSS, ../App_Themes/WootWine/skin.css is pointing at
http://wine.woot.com/App_Themes/WootWine/images/wootlogo.gif

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

Keffer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Keffer
speedoo wrote:

Lesley (Keffer)... I still have several bottles of the Merlot and Cab (both 2000) from the first wine woot. Can you advise me whether they will still be good to drink for a few more years? And, what can you tell us about the '02 Cab?

Thanks!!

The 2000 St. Supery Merlot and 2000 St. Supery Cabernet Sauvignon are ready to drink now - I would drink them (and I do, at home) soon (before year end 2007). Here is a quote about our 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon by a well-regarded wine writer, Dan Berger: “A great wine marked by what it does not have: charred oak, high alcohol (13.5%), or fatness. It smells like a Napa Cabernet (dust, herbal/cherry) and delivers classic dried-herb fruit. Hats off to winemaker Michael Beaulac for his restraint.” This vintage is our current vintage and has more structure than the 2000 vintage of the same wine. We sell it for $28 per bottle at the winery. Our winemaker suggests enjoying it through 2012.

hardground

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hardground

I had to force a refresh of all the cached objects on the page to get the 'beta' off my logo. click the refresh button while holding down Ctrl

Why is there so much wine left at the end of my money?

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez

I know this is off-subject, but does anyone know when last week's offering will ship? I ordered on 9/26 and haven't received a shipping notice. I leaving for a conference on Saturday morning and was hoping to take a bottle with me to share with friends.

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
deaconbluez wrote:I know this is off-subject, but does anyone know when last week's offering will ship? I ordered on 9/26 and haven't received a shipping notice. I leaving for a conference on Saturday morning and was hoping to take a bottle with me to share with friends.

I'm in VA and got mine yesterday, but never got a tracking number. I think the reason I didn't get a tracking number was that Cathedral Ridge was the actual shipper for me, not WCC like other times...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

bbainmd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbainmd

I used to frequent its tasting room when I lived in Napa. They make an outstanding Sauvignon Blanc, but their reds are blah. maybe next week...

michelleshari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michelleshari

We ordered a case (so 3) of these during the first woot. Some (maybe 1/2) of the bottles came heat damaged, but we called and St Supery sent an entirely new shipment (another case) immediately (so they replaced damaged and non-damaged bottles). That definitely impressed us. And none of the bottles appeared damaged. Then, for some unexplained reason, we got a third case (also not heat damaged). For those of you that have received damaged bottles, call the winery. The invoice in the box lists the number and no one wants you stuck with a vinegary bottle of their wine. As for the Merlot, I wasn't nuts about it at first, but it was much better after about 30 minutes of breathing. We'd get more if it weren't for the fact that we still have so many!

Check out our cellar

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
Keffer wrote: The 2000 St. Supery Merlot and 2000 St. Supery Cabernet Sauvignon are ready to drink now - I would drink them (and I do, at home) soon (before year end 2007). Here is a quote about our 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon by a well-regarded wine writer, Dan Berger: “A great wine marked by what it does not have: charred oak, high alcohol (13.5%), or fatness. It smells like a Napa Cabernet (dust, herbal/cherry) and delivers classic dried-herb fruit. Hats off to winemaker Michael Beaulac for his restraint.” This vintage is our current vintage and has more structure than the 2000 vintage of the same wine. We sell it for $28 per bottle at the winery. Our winemaker suggests enjoying it through 2012.

Thanks very much. While I will probably pass on this woot offering, because I have so much wine to drink over the next couple of years, I hope to try some more of your wines in the future, including the 02 Cab.

boggieman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boggieman

Where are you people from anyway? I live in SF, and we know a great deal when we see it.
[/quote]

We are mostly idiots from flyover country....sorry to offend the left coast...here's to your not sliding into the Pacific Ocean anytime soon....

cavorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cavorn

This wine is freakin amazing. It was the first wine.woot and I gambled then, but I have been extremely happy with it. Buy up.

barnaby33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barnaby33
TracyCook wrote:Hey dumb asses....these THREE bottles are $49.99, not 499.00? Good wines, great price....what exactly are you expecting for $49.99? Stop complaining about this great price and just drink it!

Where are you people from anyway? I live in SF, and we know a great deal when we see it.

You call others dumb and yet double post. Me thinks thou dost protest too much. What I expect is to stretch my wine buying dollars as far as I can. This particular woot doesn't achieve that. I have never had St Supery that I know of. I do know that 2000 was a BAD year overall for Napa. That doesn't mean that its bad wine, just that I am not going to take a chance on it.

Oh and I truly feel sorry for you, I live in San Diego.

postrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages postrow

Lowest price found on Internet for all three is $67. I have never had these but found a review on the merlot from 2003 edition of wine spectator:

"83 out of 100 points. A modest effort that displays dry mint and tobacco flavors, with a hint of currant and cedar, but fails to inspire. Dry tannins, too. Drink now. 30,140 cases made"

The cab should be better because 2002 was a good year for cabs.

rockerhud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockerhud
rockerhud wrote:Shopzilla has a solid selection. See below:

St. Supery Wines on Shopzilla start at $12

I think this is the best selection i've seen on shopzilla to compare a woot too in a long time. a real long time.

Of course Shopzilla links to resellers. That's what they do. Comparison shopping. Compare prices on one product at many selling places at the same time. Isn't that what's supposed to happen? Hehe.

cpfarhood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpfarhood
rwave wrote:Wow what a coincidence. I just had the 2000 or 2001 St. Supery Cabernet Savignon at Blair Perrone Steakhouse (NYC). It was a GREAT porterhouse wine, not too acidic. It had rasberry overtones with a clean finish.

I believe the 2000 Merlot goes for $55/bottle and the 2000/2001 Cabernet goes for $60 per bottle (according to their website). Granted this is in a fancy steakhouse in NYC, but you are getting 3 bottles for the price of one. Good thing I didn' thave to foot the bill tonight!

A bottle of wine sold for $50 at a restaurant would sell for <$20 retail here in MI.

jcolyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcolyer

I wouldn't exactly say that we're dumb asses, just some of us won't drink anything that comes in bottle just because it comes from some supposedly great vineyard, valley, or state. I live in the central coast and I have access to many great wines from SB to Paso. I would rather buy and enjoy 1 or 2 great bottles of wine for $50 than 1 decent bottle and 2 bottles of past-its-peak merlot from a bad year. And ~$18 is simply too much to pay for what would be an average table wine. Please people, remember that in wine, quality is worth far more than quantity. If you don't feel that way, then some fine offerings are available in your local grocery store that come in a 5L box with a spigot...

openfood

quality posts: 3 Private Messages openfood

Just figured I'd chime in since I've been drinking St. Supery wine for years and also took part in the initial St. Supery Woot back in May.

These guys have been very consistent with their wines over the years to my taste. Beyond theses 2 wines they make a ton of other tasty wines. A particuliar favorite is their Moscato which is awesome as an apertif... Their higher end stuff is killer. But the bottom line for me is that even at their regular retail prices the St Supery wines hold up year after year...

This particular Merlot is definitely helped by decanting. Let it breathe for an hour and it changes vastly... I have yet to have the 2002 Cab, but again I have found them to be solid and I've had most of the vintages dating back to around 1991...

http://www.gabesview.com/
Wine: Reviews, Thoughts & Culture

http://www.drinkdrycreek.com
Highlighting The Best of Dry Creek Valley

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez
vaaccess wrote:

I'm in VA and got mine yesterday, but never got a tracking number. I think the reason I didn't get a tracking number was that Cathedral Ridge was the actual shipper for me, not WCC like other times...

Thanks for the info. Mine arrived today, via Fedex, not UPS.

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

anthonyj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthonyj
postrow wrote:Lowest price found on Internet for all three is $67. I have never had these but found a review on the merlot from 2003 edition of wine spectator:

"83 out of 100 points. A modest effort that displays dry mint and tobacco flavors, with a hint of currant and cedar, but fails to inspire. Dry tannins, too. Drink now. 30,140 cases made"

The cab should be better because 2002 was a good year for cabs.

I might have to buy this deal just to get back at Wine Spectator. Last week I tried one WS rated a "best buy" and almost puked. It should have come with a disclaimer label that said "If you like ripple, you'll love our..." What can you expect for $8.50 a pop, I guess.

rtstaaf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtstaaf

I'll add this comment here as it may get burried in the original St. Supe thread.

I received a phone call from this winery today with another offer. Assuming they had my phone number on record from my original wine.woot order in May.
This phone number was provided in case of delivery problems not order solicitation.

I am fine with letting this slide once. But I would have expected a disclaimer saying the phone number was not *just* being provided for delivery.

Thanks-

FocusedonFun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FocusedonFun
rtstaaf wrote:I'll add this comment here as it may get burried in the original St. Supe thread.

I received a phone call from this winery today with another offer. Assuming they had my phone number on record from my original wine.woot order in May.
This phone number was provided in case of delivery problems not order solicitation.

I am fine with letting this slide once. But I would have expected a disclaimer saying the phone number was not *just* being provided for delivery.

Thanks-

Thanks for your input. Please email us at cfw@stsupery.com and we will be happy to remove you from further calls. Actually, we only call our customers 2 times a year (Spring and Fall before the Holidays) with specials on our reserve wines and older vintages still hiding deep in our cellars.

Once again sorry for the inconvenience. Cheers!

exphys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exphys
rtstaaf wrote:I'll add this comment here as it may get burried in the original St. Supe thread.

Thanks-

I never ordered any of the St. Supery and I get emails from them. What's that about woot?

dylandog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dylandog
mulebower wrote:Perhaps my tastebuds are screwed on sideways, but I have NEVER tasted a Merlot that was worth drinking... which is a shame, because that does look like an awefully nice cab.

you can't have tasted vey many great - or even very good - wines then. As some of the greatest wines, from Bordeaux and Italy (and elsewhere), are some, mostly, or completely Merlot it is not really possible to argue with Woot's comment. Of course there is no accounting for taste, but sheesh!

bougiee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bougiee

I got my call today. To be honest wasnt too pleased; displeased enough that im not purchasing this woot even though i really enjoyed the merlot. While id still be against telemarketing, sending a card in the mail or an email would be more appropriate. Or if they called about a special clearence price that was too good to pass up then that would be fine too. But to have an agent persue a sale is completely unprofessional.

Tinovino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tinovino
bougiee wrote:I got my call today. To be honest wasnt too pleased; displeased enough that im not purchasing this woot even though i really enjoyed the merlot. While id still be against telemarketing, sending a card in the mail or an email would be more appropriate. Or if they called about a special clearence price that was too good to pass up then that would be fine too. But to have an agent persue a sale is completely unprofessional.

Im from upstate New York and I have to say we make some pretty decent wine up in the Finger Lakes, but no where near the quality you find out in Napa. I came out there back in '04 and St.Supery was one of the wineries I visited and let me tell you they make some pretty damn good wine, reds especially. Their reserves are amazing!! So my buddy turned me on to this site which Im excited about because Im a sucker for great deals, which leads me to why Im replying to the guy/gal above. What's wrong with you people!! RELAX!! Youre getting a call from a winery!!!!! Hell Im jealous that I didn't get a call. Instead I get lame ass calls from cops asking for money to fund there policemens ball. So if ya reading this Stsupery, don't waste your dime on these bozos, CALL ME Ill listen to ya!!

jdefouw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdefouw

Thought I would throw in my two cents on a couple issues. I got the call from Supery last week before I knew woot would be offering them again. Ended up getting a sixpack of the 2002 Cab at a woot worthy price and wont be wooting this week. Had a chance to get the Reserve wines but the deal was not as good and just spent a bunch on some amazing pinot I found at a local tasting. Supery said they would call me back around the holidays. I am happy to listen to deals on wine.

As far as everyone killing the 2000. I agree that everything you read says 2000 was not the best year for Napa but I have had plenty of great wines from that vintage like the mondavi to kalon and reserve cabs. I thought the 2000 Supery was great. Hope that the 2002 is even better. And for all those who love deals, I found the Supery cab to be carried by Cost Plus/World Market for $20. Most stores have the 2000 but did find some with 2001, a great year for Napa. Looking forward to comparing all three vintages.

awmcdaniel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awmcdaniel

I also got a solicitation call, and I found it really annoying. I have to say, this reflects just as poorly on woot as it does on the winery. I would assume that in sharing my information with a 3rd party, they would have an agreement that it any contact would only be be order related. I just checked woot's privacy policy, and it's pretty much non-existant as well. In the future, I'll probably think twice about ordering from this knowing my information is going to be shared with phone spammers.

barnaby33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barnaby33

Just to be clear, not everyone was slamming 2000, I was. Others have said things like this woot didn't strike them as great. I have nothing against St Supery and even though I am not getting the woot, I wouldn't mind email/phone solicitations on good deals for wine. If they were doing this for 01 wines I would be all over it like shink on stit.

I think you will find that for any given winery for 2000-2002 that.
2000 will be the watery one, very plain
2001 will be the most structured, tanic and or reserved. Better to age
2002 will be the fruitiest. Enjoy them now, most aren't really meant for aging, especially compared to 01.

Napa has so many good years its hard to believe that there are bad ones, but 98 and 00 were such.
Josh

pzaulnow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pzaulnow

So how can you visably tell if a bottle of wine is heat damaged?

michelleshari wrote:We ordered a case (so 3) of these during the first woot. Some (maybe 1/2) of the bottles came heat damaged, but we called and St Supery sent an entirely new shipment (another case) immediately (so they replaced damaged and non-damaged bottles). That definitely impressed us. And none of the bottles appeared damaged.

kevo152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevo152

If the cap does not spin freely on the bottle, there is a good chance that the bottle has leaked. Not all bottles that have leaked have gone bad though, especially if you plan on drinking them right away.

andrewma

quality posts: 4 Private Messages andrewma
Tinovino wrote:

Im from upstate New York and I have to say we make some pretty decent wine up in the Finger Lakes, but no where near the quality you find out in Napa. I came out there back in '04 and St.Supery was one of the wineries I visited and let me tell you they make some pretty damn good wine, reds especially. Their reserves are amazing!! So my buddy turned me on to this site which Im excited about because Im a sucker for great deals, which leads me to why Im replying to the guy/gal above. What's wrong with you people!! RELAX!! Youre getting a call from a winery!!!!! Hell Im jealous that I didn't get a call. Instead I get lame ass calls from cops asking for money to fund there policemens ball. So if ya reading this Stsupery, don't waste your dime on these bozos, CALL ME Ill listen to ya!!

let me guess, you're on the st. supery 'fan' list and were enlisted to help support them. you joined the same day as you posted...great credibility.

I don't like calls myself either as I have to handle a ton of calls all day (financial professional) but a call is just a call folks. You can just ignore it and let a 30 second call not ruin your day or you can get all upset and in a tizzy over just 30 seconds of your day.

Heck, get mad about the 1 hour traffic or the 10 minutes you wasted in the grocery store line.

On a side note and wine related note, I've noticed that the Costco here in Austin has 'fair' deals, but the prices are quite normal when you check places like wine-searcher, winezap or wineaccess....I've even got some really great deals on that website that used to spam on here. (won't mention their name) they have a killer brunello on there i'm debating on $75/bottle vs $100...

Woot has done some great deals. I enjoyed two glasses of the sangiovese from noceto last night. Decent all the way around. Nothing stellar, but that was the $10 bottle so i wasn't expecting $50 worth of wine. It was a bit untamed upon opening, and it did open up nicely after 10-20 minutes (watched Thank you for smoking-highly recommend this movie). Not terribly deep at all, more like most light chiantis, but enjoyable.

Keffer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Keffer
awmcdaniel wrote:I also got a solicitation call, and I found it really annoying. I have to say, this reflects just as poorly on woot as it does on the winery. I would assume that in sharing my information with a 3rd party, they would have an agreement that it any contact would only be be order related. I just checked woot's privacy policy, and it's pretty much non-existant as well. In the future, I'll probably think twice about ordering from this knowing my information is going to be shared with phone spammers.

If you'll kindly email us at divinecab@stsupery.com and let us know you'd rather not be contacted by phone (and/or email and mail), St. Supery will be happy to honor your request. Thank you.

CellarDweller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CellarDweller

MW, Are you the same MWFielder from PDAphonehome? (I'm looking for a reference on WineWoot)
I'm "MEG" over there.

Mark

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Keffer wrote:If you'll kindly email us at divinecab@stsupery.com and let us know you'd rather not be contacted by phone (and/or email and mail), St. Supery will be happy to honor your request. Thank you.

But that's the point: the initial call IS the problem. Remember, the federal Do Not Call list is based on the fact that it is not enough to be able to be removed from a solicitor's call list AFTER one has received the initial call. I would think that the overwhelming positive reaction to the federal Do Not Call list, and the tepid reaction to your marketing efforts here on this board would be enough to convince you of that.

You may believe that you are providing your customers with a valuable service. You may believe that you are operating your phone calls in a sensitive and responsible manner. At the end of the day, however, you are calling someone to sell them something, and you need to get their permission to do so BEFORE you make that first call, be it in writing at the winery or via an opt-in box online.

Regardless of legality, it's simply the polite thing to do.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.