quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Worst wine you’ve ever had?
  • 44% - It was a red. I’ll tell the story in the comments. 121
  • 24% - It was a white. I’ll tell the story in the comments. 66
  • 7.6% - It wasn’t the wine’s fault. I’ll tell the story in the comments. 21
  • 24.4% - You know, I’ve never really HAD a bad wine. 67
275 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Foodie brand merlot from cost plus world market.
Completely undrinkable yet did not appear to be spoiled.

CT

joshaw

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joshaw

Jan Kris. If you had it, you know what I'm talking about.

gholt121

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gholt121

Strawberry Hill.

Proud Woot!er since 2005.

thedook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedook

I brought a bottle of wine to the in-laws; I had had it before, so I knew it was good. Their wine glasses had just the tiniest bit of soap residue on them that you could only smell if the glass had wine it in. The smell is indescribable. The closest thing to it is poo. The wine tasted okay... if you could get past the poo smell.

rworth01

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rworth01

Hatteras Red from the Duplin Winery. It was so sweet I had to spit it out.

akozicki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akozicki

Night Train... ugh!

raineesue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raineesue

I'm unfortunately too inexperienced a drinker to get past the taste of alcohol in most things I taste. Most wines taste like vinegar to me and all beers so far taste like stale horse piss. My best friend is a huge wine nerd, so she's trying to get me acclimated, but it's taking a while. We had a celebratory night a few days ago... I got a bottle of Barefoot moscato spumante from the Harris Teeter and I had to slowly sip a single glass all night.

So the worst wine I've ever had is any wine that isn't "Welch's white grape juice that got left on the counter overnight". I'm trying to learn, though...

oenophile1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oenophile1

Scuppernong wine made right here in SC is the worst wine ever. Sickly sweet, with no redeeming features. The same applies to its red counterpart, Muskedine wine. Equally terrible.

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

I purchased a bottle of red from a liquor store I had never been to before. It was vinegar. I returned it for another. Vinegar. A third time. Vinegar. Finally I went back and demanded my money back. The store owner actually argued with me. But eventually he gave me my cash. It was obvious that the entire stock was turned, probably because the guy didn't keep his store climate controlled. Each time I picked a different wine. They were all bad. Never went back again.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
joshaw wrote:Jan Kris. If you had it, you know what I'm talking about.

+1 (case)

sthnbelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sthnbelle

Wine tasting at the Biltmore Estate Winery - a gevurstraminer that SO would have been more appropriately poured over pancakes. And that was back when I actually liked sweeter wines.

zachusaf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zachusaf

Woot Cellars Monkey Second Prize.

Went all in for 3, biggest mistake in my wine-buying expirence. I dont know if it all corked/turned or what, but every bottle was absolutley undrinkable. I think I still have a case of it in the basement praying that one day it gets drinkable.

NoVA
My Cellar

mrhodge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrhodge

Rossi Chianti - Tasted like someone dropped a lit cigarette in it during fermentation. Sangria was pretty bad too. Oh well, t'was a means to an end at the time.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I was at a friend's home. He was a salesman for a wine distributor. It had turned putrid. the smell sticks with me to today.

And I agree about the Biltmore, Beautiful place, terrible wines.

ShaggyTx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShaggyTx

Vina Rita Margarita, grape wine with natural margarita flavor. I did not enjoy since it tasted like a mixer! And by the way, you've had this question on Woot before!

heinzman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages heinzman

Many Years ago, Trader Joe's touted an Australian white something. I bought a case & opened one. Tasted like skunk bathwater. REALLY BAD. Eventually poured the other 11 down the drain.

brmcclin

quality posts: 3 Private Messages brmcclin

We had just moved to Michigan and were taking a color tour in the fall with friends. We stopped at a local winery and bought "cherry wine". Since our favorite wine at the time was Lancer and Mateus Rose we did not expect much. We could not even drink one glass. We still go on color tours and stop at wineries in NW MI. We really enjoy the PG's and Rieslings. Ice wines and LH Rieslings are nice too. No more Cherry wine. But the dried and chocolate covered cherries are great.

Red and Dry
A likely Buy

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

The worst wine I ever had that wasn't corked, cooked or otherwise afflicted was a cheap Bulgarian Merlot. Need I say more?

My dogs like me, that is important.

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

I think it has to have been the red served in first class on American Airlines domestic flight. Of course I was flying home from a week of work that just happened to include a bottle of Wellington Victory and Kent Rasmussen Esoterica PS, so there isn't much that was likely to taste good after that.

giantfan8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giantfan8

La Honda Winery in Woodside, CA They were pouring for an event at the rec center I worked at and there were 2 cases left over so I took them home. This was four years ago and I am still left with a couple bottles. The Chard was like being forced to chew on bark that had been sitting in a still pond for a decade

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

Boone's Farm Apple Wine. Much worse than Strawberry Hill. Thunderbird and Manischewitz are close seconds.
And no, I don't live under a freeway. Those date back to early college days.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 203 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

what? no Sierra Club Chardonnay ??

fred108ama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fred108ama

RIPPLE,ENOUGH SAID,OR MD20/20

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

Well, bum wine excluded here...

It was an eight dollar bottle of 2010 Merlot I got on sale from a Dierbergs just a couple weeks ago. It was not spoiled, but it did taste awful and turned to pure vinegar in less than 3 days (properly re-corked in the refrigerator).

I think I bought a white wine from the same rack. Oh gods, which one was it?...

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

mattschuette

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mattschuette

Staff

My dad is a loan officer in central Illinois dealing with farm loans. He talks to a lot of farmers, and some of them make their own wine. He often avails them of a few bottles if they are offering. He has a penchant for Vignoles and Vidal Blanc, and once I get past the cloying sweetness, many of them are decent. However, he once opened up a bottle of "Foch" (which I understand now is the Marechal Foch varietal) and it was just terrible, even after too many bottles of something else. We took some orthographic liberties and renamed it… well, you can guess and I can't write it anyway!

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

I'm sorry to say that I can't recall the winery or maker, but it was a highly rated and well recommended Italian sangiovese from the chianti region. Tasted like Robitussin. As soon as it hit my tongue, I spewed it out all over the kitchen sink. Nothing was wrong with it. That was just the winemakers style.

tlrowe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tlrowe

Black Cat Cabernet Sauvignon -Trader Joe's cheapo- can't remeber the vintage - if there was one.
Nearly took the enamel off my teeth.
Still the tiuchstone after 15+ years as to what an awful wine is.
Couldn't even cook with it.

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm

I suppose the question should really specify whether the wine was 1) grape wine or 2) something else.

I have had some charming non-grape wines, they're not really to my ordinary taste, but they're often worth a small sip.

And if we're limiting it to grape wine, distinguish between wine made from 1) vinifera, 2) hybrid, or 3) labrusca grapes.

I have never had a labrusca wine I thought remotely drinkable, and hardly any hybrids that were drinkable. Truly vile stuff in my view.

Again assuming vinifera, are we limiting ourselves to wine that is 1) sound, but awful, or 2) including wine that is unsound (turned, corked, brett, etc., etc.)

I don't think it fair to include wines that are actually unsound, so:

I think for sound (but awful) vinifera grape wine, the Jan Kris offering and the Havens offering were among the worst I've had, probably in the same (infamous) league as Red Mountain Pink Chablis in the gallon jug from the late 1960s. At least the RMPC had the excuse of having been made largely from the noble Thompson seedless grape, with a bit of alicante bouschet for the color.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
rpm wrote:I suppose the question should really specify whether the wine was 1) grape wine or 2) something else.

Truly, a poll crafters nightmare you are, in a very good way!

From the '60's, MD20/20, AGS, Ripple. Never could see how some loadie acquaintances at free concerts I was working drank that swill they gave me. Took awhile to find out what -real- wine could be after those beginnings.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

coynedj brought an Italian bottle to a wine tasting that was actually attended by rpm's daughter. That night went down in infamy for several reasons, that all surround the host...

The nose and palate were of diapers. Diapers.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I don't remember the name, but I think it had a Giraffe or cheetah on the label.....red, smelled like cat pee when opened and tasted probably what cat pee would taste like....(no I haven't tried ha ha) Hubby, who can't tell the difference between any wines, actually thought the same as me... cat pee!!

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
otolith wrote:coynedj brought an Italian bottle to a wine tasting that was actually attended by rpm's daughter. That night went down in infamy for several reasons, that all surround the host...

The nose and palate were of diapers. Diapers.

My daughter fled Minneapolis for California shortly thereafter....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
rpm wrote:
I think for sound (but awful) vinifera grape wine, the Jan Kris offering and the Havens offering were among the worst I've had

Oh I forgot about the Havens, that was really sad because I expected it to be rather good wine, whereas I just expected the JanKris to be "drinkable but interesting."

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Jankris was my first woot. It's only because I hadn't drunk any before buying a second woot that I ever again considered wine wooting again.

I still think we should all be reimbursed for that floor polish.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
richardhod wrote:Jankris was my first woot. It's only because I hadn't drunk any before buying a second woot that I ever again considered wine wooting again.

I still think we should all be reimbursed for that floor polish.

That wasn't the worst bottle to come out of wine.woot.

There was an earlier offering where, when the bottles were delivered and opened, complaints started coming in that it tasted off, watery, and just plain strange. Turns out they forgot to turn off the bottling line when they flushed out the system, and the result got shipped out to wine.woot. I think the bottles I got from that offering were just fine.

I've already talked about the worst I've personally had in the other thread, but suffice to say it smelled strongly like freshly laid asphalt. And the wine steward had the balls to claim it was natural and normal.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
JOATMON wrote:That wasn't the worst bottle to come out of wine.woot.

There was an earlier offering where, when the bottles were delivered and opened, complaints started coming in that it tasted off, watery, and just plain strange. Turns out they forgot to turn off the bottling line when they flushed out the system, and the result got shipped out to wine.woot. I think the bottles I got from that offering were just fine.

I've already talked about the worst I've personally had in the other thread, but suffice to say it smelled strongly like freshly laid asphalt. And the wine steward had the balls to claim it was natural and normal.

Hmmm...wonder if that was the La Vie vineyards pinot noir duo from 6/07? Those two bottles were AWEFUL wines, and probably the worst wine.woots I purchased...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Ménage à Trois Moscato in a blind taste. Spit it right out. I have poured out corked bottle worse than that junk.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill