mikegberg
inFrom
fishzine
mschauber

Quality Posts

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

Who's ready for another tasting?
We can host in Queens, maybe have it outside and grill up some food.
Lets start throwing out some dates.
June 2, 16 and 23 are good for us. June 9 and 30 are not.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
Cesare wrote:June 2, 16 and 23 are good for us. June 9 and 30 are not.

We're in if we can make it. As of now, 6/2 and 6/16 work, but not 6/23.

Dates fill up fast in the summer, so I'll happily mark a date off on my calendar before some birthday party or playdate screws it up.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

As of right now, 6/2 or 6/23 (preferred) works for me.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

For me, 6/9 & 6/30 are also out. But 6/2, 6/16, & 6/23 are good.
Sadly Cat won't be able to make June. She'll be out here the weekend of 6/9, but we'll be down at the Jersey Shore (PtPleasant Beach) for the weekend.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mikegberg

HitAnyKey42 wrote:For me, 6/9 & 6/30 are also out. But 6/2, 6/13, & 6/23 are good.
Sadly Cat won't be able to make June. She'll be out here the weekend of 6/9, but we'll be down at the Jersey Shore (PtPleasant Beach) for the weekend.

Problem solved...

JERSEY SHORE TASTING #1: CRASHING THE ROMANTIC BEACH WEEKEND

UPDATED AS OF 4/23/12

DATE: June 9, 2012
WHERE: Point Pleasant Beach
TIME: All day
THEME: tbd

ATTENDEES:
1. HitAnyKey42
2. cheron98

MAYBE
1. mikegberg
2. mikegberg +1
3. cesare
4. kttest
5. iByron
6. iByron+1
7. ratnikov
8. ratnikov +1
9. mother
10. Itwdswafo
11. Itwdswafo+1
12. sukeiasa

REGRETS

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

hahaha....
hmm... bbq wines sound great...
nice malbecs, perhaps?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mikegberg

sukeiasa wrote:nice malbecs, perhaps?

I had that exact thought this morning. I'd love to be exposed to "nice" malbecs, which I'm sure are out there. Most of my experience is with the $7 "get the job done" variety.

sukeiasa

if schedules work out, i'd be happy to bring up a 01 cheval de andes that i picked up on lastbottles a few weeks ago...

hmm... or a nice syrah... need to stop thinking about wines during work hours...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

A little too early to know my June schedule, but as long as you're close to a subway or LIRR station, I'll try to make it.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mikegberg wrote:Problem solved...

JERSEY SHORE TASTING #1: CRASHING THE ROMANTIC BEACH WEEKEND

UPDATED AS OF 4/23/12

DATE: June 9, 2012
WHERE: Point Pleasant Beach
TIME: All day
THEME: tbd

ATTENDEES:
1. HitAnyKey42
2. cheron98

MAYBE
1. mikegberg
2. mikegberg +1
3. cesare
4. kttest
5. iByron
6. iByron+1
7. ratnikov
8. ratnikov +1
9. mother
10. Itwdswafo
11. Itwdswafo+1
12. sukeiasa

REGRETS

I am OK with this bet we could use my parents' house if there's an issue with using the (shared) beach house.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

sukeiasa

wait, a jersey shore tasting?
like we have to bring wines that reminds us of a particular person from the tv show??

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

Queens, you say? A wonderful idea. Sorry we missed Saturday night. Sounds like quite a lineup. The concert we saw was not that satisfying, as it turned out. Would've had more fun at the tasting, no doubt.

6/2 & 6/16 (preference for the latter) work for us (so far) as well. By 6/23 we'll be in Tuscany, alas (j/k on the "alas" part!), and the 30th is out for us for the same reason. Well, not b/c we'll be in Tuscany -- we'll be in Rome! :smirk:

ps re: the Shore -- love the idea, thanks Cat for inviting us! Though I think I would wimp out over the thought of braving the traffic.

InFrom

sukeiasa wrote:wait, a jersey shore tasting?
like we have to bring wines that reminds us of a particular person from the tv show??

Hmm, maybe we could get some of that orange wine...

cheron98

InFrom wrote:ps re: the Shore -- love the idea, thanks Cat for inviting us! Though I think I would wimp out over the thought of braving the traffic.

Psh. By the time you've dealt with NYC traffic, Jersey is a breeze. Especially if I were to share the super-secret Jersey-locals-only ways of getting to the shore, that we never tell you damn bennies cuz dammit bennies, go home!

Besides, you can take a train to Pt. Pleasant and walk to the beach from there.

cheron98

sukeiasa wrote:wait, a jersey shore tasting?

That abomination is SOOO a misrepresentation of the shore.

Accurate for Sleazeside Heights, but not the rest of it, and certainly not of Pt. Pleasant - the crown jewel of the Jersey shore.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
InFrom wrote:Hmm, maybe we could get some of that orange wine...

I actually still have a bottle of that. But it's in my cellar in CA... I'm more than willing to get it shipped here if necessary though!

mikegberg

Itwdswafo wrote:I actually still have a bottle of that. But it's in my cellar in CA... I'm more than willing to get it shipped here if necessary though!

I have two. Briefly thought of breaking it out on Saturday, but I had already contributed four wines and the table was pretty full of wounded soldiers (and still is).

I could bring it as one of my contributions to a summer BBQ wine tasting, unless everyone else purchased it from woot too.

sukeiasa

the one with the highest alcohol content for the night would be the snookie...

if ibyron is there, then the one that he makes the most interesting face would be the situation...

hahaha...

fishzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishzine

This going anywhere? Been forever since I got to a tasting. Feeling the need!

InFrom

fishzine wrote:This going anywhere? Been forever since I got to a tasting. Feeling the need!

I'm glad you revived the discussion. Things really fell off after that initial burst of enthusiasm. We never did resolve the location.

Without any diss intended to Cat or the entire state of NJ, I would suggest going back to the original offer from Cesare & kttest (if it's still open, that is) -- and not just b/c I also live in Queens, but b/c it was their idea first!

What do people think?

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

SWMBO and I are a definite maybe.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Cesare

quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

Let's settle on a date. 6/16?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

InFrom

rpm wrote:SWMBO and I are a definite maybe.

I'd say the same. Last weekend before vacay is always a mad time, but that just makes drinking all the more important. Will discuss with my +1.

Cesare wrote:Let's settle on a date. 6/16?

I like that date.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

That's the day after my semester ends.... I should be good with that.

mikegberg

6/16 sounds good to us as well, which officially makes this the "one month to go" post.

sukeiasa

are we set on the 16th?
if so i'm gonna start checking train/plane prices...

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

June 16th is a conflict for us - I do pro bono work for Back Country Jazz and it's their annual fundraiser concert.

I think the 23rd works for us.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

As stated before, either 6/16 or 6/23 work for me, so whichever the majority wants is fine. Or more importantly, whichever the hosts wants is fine.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

Hey guys,

1) BBQ red style sounds awesome.
2) I am planning to do travelling to Russia in second part of June, but have yet to get tickets. Put me as a maybe +1 and I'll be sure to update as my situation clears up.

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

While there's nothing in my calendar, I have some sort of nagging suspicion that I have plans on 6/16.
Put me and Beth down as hopeful!

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

cheron98

Sadly, not. Sigh.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

June 16th is the NoVA/DC tasting so I'll likely be down that way.

Other dates look doable for me, particularly the later ones.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

InFrom

So near, and yet so far! Anything after the 16th is Regrets-only for us, regrettably. (July looks pretty good!)

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
20. beefytaco +!

She'll be thrilled to know that people are excited to see her

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

sukeiasa

so the 23rd?
looks like dc/va is settling on the 16th... would like to make both...

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

16th is out for me. 23rd is a definite possibility I miss you guys!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

fishzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishzine

Looking pretty good that I will be in the city for the 23rd anyway, but not sure if times will work out with other plans. My +1 has been trying to go to watch the Coney Island Mermaid Parade for a couple years now.

http://www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml

Anyone ever been? Suggestions?

mikegberg

Bump for June. Any progress on this?

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

I'm actually going to be up that way the 23rd for other business. The 23rd would be an excellent date for me.

Just saying.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux