CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Well this definitely is not Sake...

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
bkarlan wrote:Well this definitely is not Sake...

A truer statement has never been said ;) lol...

When was the last time wine.woot had Sake?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

imipolex

quality posts: 3 Private Messages imipolex

I'm delighted to see these wines here. I haven't had the 2009 yet, but the 2008 Ancestor Selections was one of the best Zinfandels I'd had in years. The Old Vine Zinfandel is fantastic too - it reminds me a lot of Ridge Geyserville. It's a typically Californian "mixed blacks" style wine, beautifully and elegantly restrained and at a thankfully moderate level of alcohol. J. Rickards is probably one of the best California wineries you've never heard of - and this is a screaming deal. If you like your Zinfandels elegant, complex, and nuanced, I can't recommend these guys enough.

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66
mschauber wrote:A truer statement has never been said ;) lol...

When was the last time wine.woot had Sake?

Sake was last offered on 10/1/2011. An Oregon Sake maker...

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

sake...keep an eye out. in the meantime, these Zinfandels are without a doubt my favorite Zin discovery of the year so far. I was blown away by their entire spring lineup at the winery. Wooters! take note, seriously well made wine here and a rare treat for us on Wine.Woot!

WineDavid was my Boss!

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

imipolex wrote:I'm delighted to see these wines here. I haven't had the 2009 yet, but the 2008 Ancestor Selections was one of the best Zinfandels I'd had in years. The Old Vine Zinfandel is fantastic too - it reminds me a lot of Ridge Geyserville - it's a typically Californian "mixed blacks" style wine, beautifully and elegantly restrained and at a thankfully moderate level of alcohol. J. Rickards is probably one of the best California wineries you've never heard of - and this is a screaming deal. If you like your Zinfandels elegant, complex, and nuanced, I can't recommend these guys enough.

took the words right out of my head! +1

WineDavid was my Boss!

jimjacks66

imipolex wrote:I'm delighted to see these wines here. I haven't had the 2009 yet, but the 2008 Ancestor Selections was one of the best Zinfandels I'd had in years. The Old Vine Zinfandel is fantastic too - it reminds me a lot of Ridge Geyserville - it's a typically Californian "mixed blacks" style wine, beautifully and elegantly restrained and at a thankfully moderate level of alcohol. J. Rickards is probably one of the best California wineries you've never heard of - and this is a screaming deal. If you like your Zinfandels elegant, complex, and nuanced, I can't recommend these guys enough.

Just missed being first sucker but these sound very very good.

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: narnett
Speed to first woot: 6m 26.790s
Last wooter to woot: jimjacks66

skidd420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skidd420

Not a hard decision.

J.Rickards Alexander Valley Zinfandel
Last wooter to woot: skidd420

jimjacks66

What is the drinking window for each? It is interesting that the Old Vine Zin is actually a blend of Zin, Petite Sirah, Carignane and Mataro. Curious what the winery says about this.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

There's a real dearth of info out there (CT, etc.) so we're going to be at the mercy of wooters, the winery itself and ... well ... that's about it.

szecsei

quality posts: 9 Private Messages szecsei

how do these compare to Scott Harvey's zins or peter Wellington's? I loved their recent offerings and would love to add some similar flavors to my cellar.

catfishhunters99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages catfishhunters99
jimjacks66 wrote:What is the drinking window for each? It is interesting that the Old Vine Zin is actually a blend of Zin, Petite Sirah, Carignane and Mataro. Curious what the winery says about this.

That sounds just like a Ridge Geyserville blend - one recent Ridge was 70% Zinfandel; 18% Carignane; 10% Petite Sirah; 2% Mataro. This is a typical field blend found in old plantings in California. Sounds like a steal at $18 a bottle.

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

I dunno man, I mean the positive feedback is encouraging but the pictures are..... None of them are upside down or positioned in any way that screams "I'm cool bro, buy me."

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m

We were at a wine store in Sonoma last year looking for a few unique bottles to round out our case, and when asked for recs the owner pointed us toward the J.Rickards Cab Sav, describing them as a family outfit putting out exceptional wines. I can say that the CS was excellent, and I will be buying these Zins.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Dave or John, interested in a split?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rld513

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rld513

I might be tempted, love Zins. And comparisons to Ridge Geyserville nudge me further. Decisions, decisions.

danzigdan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danzigdan

I love Zinfandel but I think I may have too many at the moment. Woot needs to come up with some Petit Sirah soon!

Anchoku

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anchoku

In for one. I have been waiting for a good Cali-zin.

Still working on my Oregon sake stash

When will the wine bottles be dancing? Right-side up, up-side down, lazing around, that is all boring stuff, now. Start working on more animated wine pictures.

doubles94

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doubles94

I am a member of their wine club and these two wines are really a treat. He is making some of the best zins I am drinking right now.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

Oh, I wish this included their port too! In for 1 maybe 2

J

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

doubles94 wrote:I am a member of their wine club and these two wines are really a treat. He is making some of the best zins I am drinking right now.

thanks for your comment!

interesting fact: we tasted these in a line-up of 12 other bottles (other producers) and both of the J.Rickards Zins won the tasting. A big roshambo ensued over the leftovers that day...

WineDavid was my Boss!

jrickards

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jrickards

Hi all!

This is Jon Rickards, I'm the son of Jim.

Thank you all for taking a look at our wines here on Woot! We are very excited to be here. I'm going to try to answer the questions I see out there before I head in to the winery this morning. Once again thanks for being here.

Jon

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jrickards wrote:Hi all!

This is Jon Rickards, I'm the son of Jim.

Thank you all for taking a look at our wines here on Woot! We are very excited to be here. I'm going to try to answer the questions I see out there before I head in to the winery this morning. Once again thanks for being here.

Jon

What's the drinking window on these?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jrickards

jimjacks66 wrote:What is the drinking window for each? It is interesting that the Old Vine Zin is actually a blend of Zin, Petite Sirah, Carignane and Mataro. Curious what the winery says about this.

Generally speaking, our Zinfandels are crafted to be drank as soon as you purchase them. However, like a lot of Zins, I would generally say to drink them before 5 years.

jetman5443

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jetman5443

I'm pretty new at understanding/decoding wine descriptions.

Would you say these wines are very rich in tannin?

Are they sweet or jammy at all?

My GF and I prefer dry, tannin rich, big bold wines. Do these fit that bill?

Thanks in advance...

jrickards

eluofthenine wrote:I dunno man, I mean the positive feedback is encouraging but the pictures are..... None of them are upside down or positioned in any way that screams "I'm cool bro, buy me."

Part of story, and what we are selling, which you can't see by the label alone is the experience of my dad and I at the winery with our stories.... well my dad is kind of a character and to top it off he has a bushy handle-bar mustache. For everyone who buys these wines, we will be sending in a set of coasters that have punch out handle-bar mustaches that you can wear....

I think that is pretty cool :-D

jrickards

danzigdan wrote:I love Zinfandel but I think I may have too many at the moment. Woot needs to come up with some Petit Sirah soon!

We have an amazing Petite Sirah too. My dad considers is one of the best he has ever had.

pezmaker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pezmaker
jrickards wrote:Part of story, and what we are selling, which you can't see by the label alone is the experience of my dad and I at the winery with our stories.... well my dad is kind of a character and to top it off he has a bushy handle-bar mustache. For everyone who buys these wines, we will be sending in a set of coasters that have punch out handle-bar mustaches that you can wear....

I bought before I saw this. This makes my day.

jrickards

jetman5443 wrote:I'm pretty new at understanding/decoding wine descriptions.

Would you say these wines are very rich in tannin?

Are they sweet or jammy at all?

My GF and I prefer dry, tannin rich, big bold wines. Do these fit that bill?

Thanks in advance...

I'm not a sophisticated taster, but you will be amazed in the difference between these two wines considering that the vineyards are located really close to each other and they are compositionally similar. The main difference is the age of the vines.

I would not consider either of these wines to be big tannin bombs. The Ancestor's Zin is a medium bodied wine with bright fruit and a balanced finish. The Old Vine is a full bodied wine with more of the jammy qualities but equally well balanced.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Thanks for coming on board Jim! Are these Zins similar in style to dutcher crossing, rochiolli, bella, woodenhead, j keverson or any other dry creek zins? I enjoy jammy, full bodied zins that tame the high alcohol! I am a big supporter of small productiOn wineries and am very intrigued! Also, i am a bit turned off when zins are overoqked and too vanillaish (i dont think this is a word!) what is your approcah to oak treatment? Thanks

"The older I get the better I was"

jrickards

Ok everyone, I'm going offline for now to head into the winery. I will be on periodically throughout the day.

My dad will probably log on sometime this evening. He is also a critical care nurse and he is doing his life saving duties today.

rmt0512

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rmt0512

These sound great! Can't wait to try them.

Last wooter to woot: rmt0512

75blazer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages 75blazer
jrickards wrote:Part of story, and what we are selling, which you can't see by the label alone is the experience of my dad and I at the winery with our stories.... well my dad is kind of a character and to top it off he has a bushy handle-bar mustache. For everyone who buys these wines, we will be sending in a set of coasters that have punch out handle-bar mustaches that you can wear....

Punch out handle-bar mustaches? Ok, that put me over the edge. I'm in.

jrickards

These wines drink well now, but will age beautifully for 8-10 years. Both are what are called field blends, and the recipe that includes Zinfandel (80%), Petite Sirah, Carignane, Mataro and Alicante Bouschet started from the 1908 vines planted by the Brignoles on our ranch.

eluofthenine

jrickards wrote:Generally speaking, our Zinfandels are crafted to be drank as soon as you purchase them. However, like a lot of Zins, I would generally say to drink them before 5 years.

jrickards wrote:These wines drink well now, but will age beautifully for 8-10 years. Both are what are called field blends, and the recipe that includes Zinfandel (80%), Petite Sirah, Carignane, Mataro and Alicante Bouschet started from the 1908 vines planted by the Brignoles on our ranch.

hmmmmm....... seems contradictory. maybe two different winery reps?

eluofthenine

and lol at the coaster mustache extra. if this is legit im auto in.

jrickards

eluofthenine wrote:hmmmmm....... seems contradictory. maybe two different winery reps?

This is Jon again (Jim's son). The first reply was me, and as I a said I'm not a sophisticated drinker.

The second reply was from Eliza, Jim's wife. We are a small family winery, so we are all participating in this Woot event! This is our first time using this sort of media and we are all very excited about engaging you all.

jon

jrickards

eluofthenine wrote:and lol at the coaster mustache extra. if this is legit im auto in.

Here is a picture of my dad with some visitors and the famous mustaches!

(not sure if this will work, so you may have to cut and paste this into a new browser)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150681218198851&set=a.82033338850.80931.82010658850&type=3&theater