rjquillin


quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Kyle,
any updates on your cooler?

CT

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cjsiege wrote:Oh, format C: has crossed my mind on more than one occasion!!!

Since it was an OEM install, I don't have a system disk. So I'm squeamish about doing the full install. I still need to look up the links that TT gave me earlier, and see how brave I'll be.

The good news is that you'll have way fewer problems with Windows 7.... once you get there. Hopefully, tricking it to do a full install will work for you.

BTW, even with an OEM install, there should be a partition to do a full restore. You might look on your computer manufacturer's site about that. May be a good start if it's really borked. Just get your data off first.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Congrats PSquishy on the baby news!

bam, hope you are feeling OK, and d-dog, you both sure are dedicated for all the dinners you do for the Shakespeare group.

mommadeb, are you feeling better?

cj, mr sanity is well versed in Vista. pm if you want to chat with him. He may tell you to back up, and do a clean install, though - (:

I'm working lots of overtime which is great for the bike fund, hard on getting anything else done.

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
tenuki wrote:Any recommendations on the whole wi-fi/streaming/blu-ray players? Seems like a lot of stuff gets good critical reviews and killed by users. Though part of that is users wanting everything up to date now, or not know it doesn't do this or that.



I am very happy with my Panasonic BDP-210. Built-in WiFi...can be found for $100-$125.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cjsiege wrote:Flying Spaghetti Monster - T-the-C's deity of choice when blaspheming.



He's pretty awesome for a deity.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just came across this and thought y'all might like it...



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
bhodilee wrote:That seems.....odd

You sure you're set up as admin on that machine? Is it yours or work? There's different levels of admin if I remember right. Like you can set someone up to "admin" for software updates and crap, but still lock them out of other functions.

Try, Msconfig, under boot options there is a Active Directory Repair option. don't know what it does though.

huh, I did not know this, but you can also type regedt32 instead of regedit. I learned something new today



what he said.
egads, Vista sux! I have it on some oldr blighted machines and some tweaks take out soem of th eecurity. Try some googled "vista tweaks" first?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:Just came across this and thought y'all might like it...



+1


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman


quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
tenuki wrote:I don't know but if you just want to kludge it, maybe you can try printing to pdf on Ubuntu and then transfer those pdfs to be printed. Basically not sure if it's the fillable forms that are the problem.



That seems to have worked. Must be something about the way the built-in document reader stores the filled in form information.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
tommythecat78 wrote:I am very happy with my Panasonic BDP-210. Built-in WiFi...can be found for $100-$125.



Ah cool, that seems to cover everything and users like it too Thanks!

CT

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
klezman wrote:That seems to have worked. Must be something about the way the built-in document reader stores the filled in form information.



I don't know if I'm a problem solver but I'm definitely a kludger

CT

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
tommythecat78 wrote:I am very happy with my Panasonic BDP-210. Built-in WiFi...can be found for $100-$125.



Can anyone explain what these players are for when we have laptops and screens?

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
richardhod wrote:Can anyone explain what these players are for when we have laptops and screens?



my laptop lacks BD ability. If I buy a new one I'll make sure it has it, but it's still nice to have a standalone always hooked up to the TV. I could watch Amazon On Demand through the laptop hooked up to the TV, but that's always a hassle. Easier to push the button on teh remote, have everything turn on, hit enter and away I go.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
richardhod wrote:Can anyone explain what these players are for when we have laptops and screens?



I'd still rather lounge on my bed for two hours watching a movie than curl up with my tablet

CT

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

This afternoon, I admitted defeat. Since my sweet Sparky is unavailable, I have now bribed 2 of the IT folks at work to come to my house on Saturday. I will be providing them cash, gift cards, wine, beer, lunch, and snacks.

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
ThunderThighs wrote:The good news is that you'll have way fewer problems with Windows 7.... once you get there. Hopefully, tricking it to do a full install will work for you.

BTW, even with an OEM install, there should be a partition to do a full restore. You might look on your computer manufacturer's site about that. May be a good start if it's really borked. Just get your data off first.


Good God, I hope so! Ihave done recent backups to a remote drive, so I'm hoping I have enough in case of abject and total failure.

There is a partitioned drive, but I'm no concerned that I picked up a virus along the way. So much for being double wrapped! I do have antivirus etc., but nothing is foolproof.

Damned double wrapped Vista!

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cjsiege wrote:Good God, I hope so! Ihave done recent backups to a remote drive, so I'm hoping I have enough in case of abject and total failure.

There is a partitioned drive, but I'm no concerned that I picked up a virus along the way. So much for being double wrapped! I do have antivirus etc., but nothing is foolproof.

Damned double wrapped Vista!



Download and run malwarebytes. That'll catch any malware. Viruses, yore on your own. What do you run? Lives me some Microsoft security essentials

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
bhodilee wrote:Download and run malwarebytes. That'll catch any malware. Viruses, yore on your own. What do you run? Lives me some Microsoft security essentials



I run Total Defense Security Suite. Total Defense was spun off from Computer Associates. It's consistently one of the best rated security programs. I've used it for 4 years now, and this is the firt time I've even suspected something may have slipped thru.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
ThunderThighs wrote:Just came across this and thought y'all might like it...



I want one!!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

exciting afternoon.. Neighbor called to let me know there was a huge brush fire by my moms house. Went over and the fire almost engulfed the house in the next lot (all are 5 acre lots) and was creeping twards moms house. Luckily everyone was ok and so were the houses.... It took 2 helicopters dumping water on the fire for over an hour plus all the ground crew fire fighters (3 different countys) working over 4 hours to get it to where I finally felt good to go home... Scary to see flames above your neighbors house!!

The other scary thing is we are soo dry and all the ponds have almost dried up.. So if there is a major fire, the trucks are supposed to refill from the ponds....

oh well, thank goodness for the fire fighters!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cjsiege wrote:I run Total Defense Security Suite. Total Defense was spun off from Computer Associates. It's consistently one of the best rated security programs. I've used it for 4 years now, and this is the firt time I've even suspected something may have slipped thru.



Well, if you would stop going to those nature films sites!!!!


And sorry I couldn't be there to help.



Edit: Heh, heh .... "Nature Films"


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Why does this remind me of bowtie?????







Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
tenuki wrote:Ah cool, that seems to cover everything and users like it too Thanks!



No problem. I like that it has the more updated Netflix software that allows you to search. My GF's BDP only shows what is in your queue. Her TV has your queue and 25 movies from different genres as well as 10 "recommended for you" selections.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
richardhod wrote:Can anyone explain what these players are for when we have laptops and screens?



Because watching a bluray (or any hi-def content for that matter) on a 15" screen is horrible.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:exciting afternoon.. Neighbor called to let me know there was a huge brush fire by my moms house. Went over and the fire almost engulfed the house in the next lot (all are 5 acre lots) and was creeping twards moms house. Luckily everyone was ok and so were the houses.... It took 2 helicopters dumping water on the fire for over an hour plus all the ground crew fire fighters (3 different countys) working over 4 hours to get it to where I finally felt good to go home... Scary to see flames above your neighbors house!!

The other scary thing is we are soo dry and all the ponds have almost dried up.. So if there is a major fire, the trucks are supposed to refill from the ponds....

oh well, thank goodness for the fire fighters!


Glad to hear that her house is safe. We are getting brush fires up here. Not a very common occurrence. Although from my work, I know that every state has them. Just a sign of how dry it is in this area.

Climate Change?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I have a computer question, as usual. My laptop acts like it has a case of the hiccups. It will randomly freeze or stutter for 1-2 seconds then go back to normal. I've noticed this on WoW and Skyrim, and also just doing normal non-gaming computer stuff. CPU and GPU temps seem fine (about 60 for cpu and 70 gpu). I tried using Throttlestop but it didn't help. I use McAfee Security Center and it's updated and scans regularly. Windows says the video driver is up to date. Any clues?

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
polarbear22 wrote:Glad to hear that her house is safe. We are getting brush fires up here. Not a very common occurrence. Although from my work, I know that every state has them. Just a sign of how dry it is in this area.

Climate Change?



The weather has been odd this year. But I have to wonder, is it man made climate change, or would this have happened anyway?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chemvictim wrote:I have a computer question, as usual. My laptop acts like it has a case of the hiccups. It will randomly freeze or stutter for 1-2 seconds then go back to normal. I've noticed this on WoW and Skyrim, and also just doing normal non-gaming computer stuff. CPU and GPU temps seem fine (about 60 for cpu and 70 gpu). I tried using Throttlestop but it didn't help. I use McAfee Security Center and it's updated and scans regularly. Windows says the video driver is up to date. Any clues?




How old is it?
What's the OS and is it up to date?
When was your last backup (and did you test a restore)?
Do you use a fan underneath your laptop? (as in does it sit on a fan, or just the desk/table/lap?)

Could just be old, and time to replace it. Or your registry could need to be cleaned and defragged. Or you could have a recent update or install that's causing the hiccups.

Try starting in "safe" mode and see if you still get the hiccups.



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:The weather has been odd this year. But I have to wonder, is it man made climate change, or would this have happened anyway?




Depends on who you ask. Some will say Man-made, some will say the other. And some will say both (it would have happened, but it happened sooner due to Man).


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mommadeb1 wrote:The weather has been odd this year. But I have to wonder, is it man made climate change, or would this have happened anyway?



it would have happened anyway, we may have accelerated the process though. maybe. dunno.


worms.can.pandora

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:Depends on who you ask. Some will say Man-made, some will say the other. And some will say both (it would have happened, but it happened sooner due to Man).



yeah....uh...exactly...pay no attention to post that comes directly after Sparky's

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chemvictim wrote:I have a computer question, as usual. My laptop acts like it has a case of the hiccups. It will randomly freeze or stutter for 1-2 seconds then go back to normal. I've noticed this on WoW and Skyrim, and also just doing normal non-gaming computer stuff. CPU and GPU temps seem fine (about 60 for cpu and 70 gpu). I tried using Throttlestop but it didn't help. I use McAfee Security Center and it's updated and scans regularly. Windows says the video driver is up to date. Any clues?



well, your first issue is McAfee. Unless it's gotten way better it used to be a major resource hog. This is why I go with Security Essentials. Doesn't bog down nearly as much, and Viper claims (and seems to be true) that it won't bog your system down at all. We use it at work, no nature films viruses yet.

Then like Sparky says, make sure you're using it elevated or with a fan.

Then, malwarebytes for a malware check.

If it's not one of those it probably has to do with an update that isn't playing friendly with something, prob vid card. Wait and the next update will probably fix it, or your vid card will have a new driver in about a week/month.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Depends on who you ask. Some will say Man-made, some will say the other. And some will say both (it would have happened, but it happened sooner due to Man).

Still others (Rush, for example) will say it's a hoax.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
ddeuddeg wrote:Still others (Rush, for example) will say it's a hoax.



“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Such a sadly useful quote nowadays...

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Thanks for the computer advice. It looks like it might have been McAfee. I tried to close it and couldn't, tried to stop the process and access was denied. That pissed me off so I uninstalled it. Several minutes of WoW'ing and no hiccups.

Now to figure out whether McAfee was doing something naughty or whether my computer is so crippled that it can't handle it. I have Intel® Core™ i7-740QM, 6 GB RAM, and ATI HD 5870, which seems like a reasonable setup that ought to be able to withstand McAfee...or maybe not, I dunno.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chemvictim wrote:Thanks for the computer advice. It looks like it might have been McAfee. I tried to close it and couldn't, tried to stop the process and access was denied. That pissed me off so I uninstalled it. Several minutes of WoW'ing and no hiccups.

Now to figure out whether McAfee was doing something naughty or whether my computer is so crippled that it can't handle it. I have Intel® Core™ i7-740QM, 6 GB RAM, and ATI HD 5870, which seems like a reasonable setup that ought to be able to withstand McAfee...or maybe not, I dunno.



Should be. But I hate them. Go with microsoft security essentials. Free and good. Sparky will probably vouch for it as well.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
bhodilee wrote:Should be. But I hate them. Go with microsoft security essentials. Free and good. Sparky will probably vouch for it as well.



fwiw I use security essentials, too, and it is great. I used to abhor the MS security products because they didn't play nice with firewalls and other add-ons, but now I have no issues. Along with SE, I use Ad-Aware and malwarebytes.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:Kyle,
any updates on your cooler?



I think it's the compressor. Looks like I'm buying a new unit here. And soon. Summer's a'coming! FML.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Well, tomorrow is our community Relay for Life event... we go from 6pm to 12 pm the next day.18 hours straight.. so I will catch up with everyone on sunday!!

anyone wanting to donate ...Please go to...

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY12FL?team_id=1030009&pg=team&fr_id=37555

Thanks!

rjquillin


quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:I think it's the compressor. Looks like I'm buying a new unit here. And soon. Summer's a'coming! FML.

Carp! Worth the try however.

CT