Poll: The best whiskey is:
  • 27.1% - Irish. 253
  • 25% - American. 233
  • 37.8% - Scotch. 353
  • 5% - Canadian. 47
  • 2.9% - Japanese. 27
  • 2.1% - From somewhere else I’ll tell you in the comments. 20
933 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

is whiskey the same thing as moonshine? my 2nd husband used to buy some *stuff* in gallon jugs from some dude in MS that would raise the roof...he got into a bit of trouble after drinking it one night, though, and has sworn off it now...

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

Csulliv6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Csulliv6

Nowhere! My BF loves the stuff and I've tried them all (curiosity and all that). I've never found one tolerable.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I have heard, though am unable to confirm, that the Japanese are doing things that rival and surpass the Scots. Living in Nebraska, I'm not sure where one hunts down high quality Japanese whiskey though. I bet they have it Dundee Dell now that I think about it. They've got EVERYTHING

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

togle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages togle

.. in my belly

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

free whiskey. c'mon, everyone knows that.

signed.

dothefrug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dothefrug

Scotch is so gross, what is wrong with you people????

I think there's different whiskeys for different drinks, but I keep Bulleit Bourbon in my liquor cabinet.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Strictly speaking there is no such thing as Scotch or Canadian "Whiskey". It's Whisky. Get it straight, or if you must, with a couple drops of spring water.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

tough one... each is so good in their own different ways...

do love a nice japanese one though... espeically when mixed with water, the right way... (probably the only one i prefer mixed)

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

OK, there's Irish Whiskey, then there's Scotch Whiskey but it's not like whiskey at all so it's usually just called Scotch. There's Canadian Whiskey and there's American Whiskey. But there's also Bourbon Whiskey which isn't like whiskey at all so it's usually just called Bourbon. Wikipedia has a good breakdown of them all at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey.
I love Bourbon but I can't stand any of the other whiskeys.

strattons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages strattons

Rye whiskey is the one to try, and "whistle pig" or "bulleit rye" are the best available right now. the classic Sazerac is good too. Don't forget to try Colorado whiskey "Leopold Brothers", they make a great Maryland style rye, as well as some damn fine fruited whiskeys.

Brandon

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
bhodilee wrote:I have heard, though am unable to confirm, that the Japanese are doing things that rival and surpass the Scots. Living in Nebraska, I'm not sure where one hunts down high quality Japanese whiskey though. I bet they have it Dundee Dell now that I think about it. They've got EVERYTHING

I can confirm that the best Japanese whiskeys are very very fine indeed - and have been quite a while! Almost 20 years ago, a Japanese client gave me a bottle of a top shelf Japanese whiskey as a gift which I thought -- and several serious Scotch drinkers to whom I served it thought -- was easily the equal of any blended Scotch.

I don't drink much Scotch - all but single malts give me a hangover so bad that I can feel my hair growing (and it hurts!) even after one drink - but this was truly wonderful stuff. Worth the headache.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

pocoloco15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pocoloco15

The best whiskey it what someone else is drinking! eeeuuwww! the stuff is NASTY, IMHO!

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

I had never even heard of Japanese whisky until today. Sounds like I'm going to have to go out and find a bottle to see what all the hype is about.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

With so many - literally DOZENS - of very good rye whiskeys on the market now, the "original" American whiskey is now making a rapid comeback.

Between that and the multiplicity of bourbons and just plain "whiskeys" being distilled and aged in the US (some of them peat-fired, Scottish-style liquors) - I think it's really not necessary to choose a favorite.

There's so much good out there, why choose? I have a few bourbons, ryes and Scots whiskeys I'm fond of, and I keep them on hand. But I really love trying new ones.

I have ONE prohibition: Canadian "whiskey" is basically brown vodka and I won't have it in the house, much less in my glass.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
jawlz wrote:I had never even heard of Japanese whisky until today. Sounds like I'm going to have to go out and find a bottle to see what all the hype is about.

You are unlikely to find the best ones except perhaps in New York, DC, Boston, Chicago, or Los Angeles.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
rpm wrote:You are unlikely to find the best ones except perhaps in New York, DC, Boston, Chicago, or Los Angeles.

Thankfully I'm based in the LA area, so availability shouldn't be (too much of) an issue.

(edit - this is probably the first time in my life I've said 'thankfully' about being based in the LA area).

quigles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages quigles
dothefrug wrote:Scotch is so gross, what is wrong with you people????

I think there's different whiskeys for different drinks, but I keep Bulleit Bourbon in my liquor cabinet.

Bulleit is awesome. Their rye is incredible.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
jawlz wrote:this is probably the first time in my life I've said 'thankfully' about being based in the LA area).

I'm feelin' for ya, bro' ...

sukeiasa

the most prominent japanese whiskey producer is probably suntory... i'd highly recommend the 'hibiki'...

whiskey and water is a very popular drink in japan (as least for the 35+ crowd) and imho there's a water to alcohol ratio where the sweetness in japanese whiskey and the dilution level achieve this harmony that's just incredible.... not like a fruity red that punches you in the face, but just subtle, and amazing...

this preference is similar to how the good dessert is very often described in East Asia as being 'not too sweet'

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

sukeiasa

currently/recently on my shelf:
laphroaig 10
balvenie 15
jack daniels single barrel (military edition)
kavalan (taiwanese whisky)

tnfromtx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tnfromtx

Tennessee Whiskey of course. It is like no other and in a class of its own!

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea

I'm not a big hard liquor consumer and when I do drink these, it is typically tequila or vodka. Furthermore, I really do not like whiskey in general. However, I do enjoy the occassional glass of Basil Hayden. For me, it has a less "harsh" taste than others and is really smooth.

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123

I prefer bourbon or rye as my whiskey of choice (woodford reserve is my go-to), but I don't turn my nose up at Irish or Canadian. I never could get my palate to accept scotch... it's just too smokey or funky or something. I think it's the peat. It looks nice in a glass, often smells nice, never tastes good to me.

However, I'm truly baffled that Canadian is doing so poorly in the poll. It seems to me that there are a ton of folks that say "gross" if bourbon, scotch or irish whiskey is mentioned that will suck down a crown and ginger before the ice starts to melt. Maybe only serious whiskey drinkers are voting?

sukeiasa

hmm... i thought smokey and peety are the two end spectrums for whisky... i guess i can imagine something that's both very smoky and peety at the same time!?

crethwilm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crethwilm

Jack Daniel's is the best American
Jameson's is the best Irish

devzero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages devzero

"From somewhere else I’ll tell you in the comments."

Your mom.

jeffrjohn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jeffrjohn
natalieug wrote:OK, there's Irish Whiskey, then there's Scotch Whiskey but it's not like whiskey at all so it's usually just called Scotch. There's Canadian Whiskey and there's American Whiskey. But there's also Bourbon Whiskey which isn't like whiskey at all so it's usually just called Bourbon. Wikipedia has a good breakdown of them all at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey.

Maybe in the US, but go to to the UK and scotch is just referred to as whiskey.

doryg151

quality posts: 2 Private Messages doryg151

Scotch shouldn't be on the list as it is Whisky, not Whiskey.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
rpm wrote:I can confirm that the best Japanese whiskeys are very very fine indeed - and have been quite a while! Almost 20 years ago, a Japanese client gave me a bottle of a top shelf Japanese whiskey as a gift which I thought -- and several serious Scotch drinkers to whom I served it thought -- was easily the equal of any blended Scotch.

I don't drink much Scotch - all but single malts give me a hangover so bad that I can feel my hair growing (and it hurts!) even after one drink - but this was truly wonderful stuff. Worth the headache.

True, BUT:
their excellent malts, for example, are different from Scotch malts. they are more refined, smoother and ofte better balanced and refined! "However, they have less character, in general. No ridicuous iodine as in aphroaid and some of the other Islays, no deeep smoke as in the almost perfect Lagavulin 16 .Less variety.
Inn other words, the Scots make the Alfa Romeos, the Nobles, the Lamborghinis of whisky, and the Japanese the Mercedes, the BMW and the Lexuses! Chacun a son gout!

Also, as it happens, Scotch cannot be the best whiskey. It is whisky!

bbrett2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbrett2009

greater than 75% rye whiskey. When made right the stuff is awesome.

ndirks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ndirks
natalieug wrote:OK, there's Irish Whiskey, then there's Scotch Whiskey but it's not like whiskey at all so it's usually just called Scotch. There's Canadian Whiskey and there's American Whiskey. But there's also Bourbon Whiskey which isn't like whiskey at all so it's usually just called Bourbon. Wikipedia has a good breakdown of them all at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey.

I'm sorry but this whole statement is completely untrue. Whiskey is whisky is whiskey, (except for the spelling), it just depends where it comes from and what the different grains in the mash are. Scotch whisky is Scotch whisky b/c it's made in Scotland and made a certain way. You say that Bourbon whiskey isn't like whiskey at all. It is. Difference is, the main ingredient is corn. It's like wine in France, different regions, different blends, but it's all wine.

Also, the best whiskey is rye. Templeton Rye in particular from Iowa.

Dirksy

bbrett2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbrett2009
ndirks wrote:I'm sorry but this whole statement is completely untrue. Whiskey is whisky is whiskey, (except for the spelling), it just depends where it comes from and what the different grains in the mash are. Scotch whisky is Scotch whisky b/c it's made in Scotland and made a certain way. You say that Bourbon whiskey isn't like whiskey at all. It is. Difference is, the main ingredient is corn. It's like wine in France, different regions, different blends, but it's all wine.

Also, the best whiskey is rye. Templeton Rye in particular from Iowa.

I love you. "Templeton Rye in particular from Iowa" I have to agree whole heartily.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

I've had the only peated Irish whiskey: Connemara, and that was pretty interesting. For traditional Irish Whiskeys, I like Redbreast.

I have a future of the Bruichladdich x4; now I have to figure out how to get it home.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Tamshin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tamshin

... in mah belly!

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
strattons wrote:Rye whiskey is the one to try, and "whistle pig" or "bulleit rye" are the best available right now. the classic Sazerac is good too. Don't forget to try Colorado whiskey "Leopold Brothers", they make a great Maryland style rye, as well as some damn fine fruited whiskeys.

Speaking of Colorado whiskey, have you tried Stranahan's? I don't even like whiskey very much, but this stuff is great. I just happened by chance to tour their distillery-located in a former brewpub at Alameda & I-25-and was bowled over by their samples. I have purchased two bottles since then and get it out for company. It's won numerous awards. It's hard to find because it doesn't last long on the shelves. I hear they were recently purchased by one of the big boys whiskey companies, and they will raise the price from $60 to $80 because they want it to be thought of as "more exclusive". Geez.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
SmilingBoognish wrote:Strictly speaking there is no such thing as Scotch or Canadian "Whiskey". It's Whisky. Get it straight, or if you must, with a couple drops of spring water.

It matters not whether you spell it whiskey, whisky, aquavit, eaux-de-vie, vodka, etc. It's "water of life".

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

I've hosted several Scotch tastings, in addition to a "Scotch" tasting where we had everything but the Scottish version. India did surprisingly well, and the Japanese whisky was also very nice (Yamazaki 12 - equivalent to, say, Glenfarclas 12). Had a glass last night of a top notch Bourbon from the "Scotch" tasting - Beltramo's cask from Blanton distillery. I've also collected all the releases of Edradour Ballechin - their heavily peated malt, each edition of which has been aged in a different type of wood. One of my all time favourites was Springbank 11 year old, Madeira cask.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
JOATMON wrote:I have a future of the Bruichladdich x4; now I have to figure out how to get it home.

Just received an email, after over a year of no contact. Bruichladdich has reached an agreement with an importer to get our futures here for us. Bruichladdich had to rebottle from 700 to 750, and get the labels approved.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
JOATMON wrote:Just received an email, after over a year of no contact. Bruichladdich has reached an agreement with an importer to get our futures here for us. Bruichladdich had to rebottle from 700 to 750, and get the labels approved.

Good news. Enjoy!!

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar