jeremyfinke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeremyfinke

Hmmm.. I am going to be out in the Napa region this summer and plan on stopping by. Do I wait, or should I pick up some now... Decisions, decisions.

tonester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonester

Wow! Last night I opened a bottle of the 2004 Wellington Vineyards Syrah EnglandCrest that I got from a 2007 Woot offering and it was still drinking very well. I'm in for three!

Woot Wines so far:
Wellington Vineyard Cab Trio / Ty Caton Cabernet / Gundlach Bundschu / Castello Di Gabbiano Alleanza / Colores Del Sol Argentina Malbec / Helix / Woot Humbug / Wellington Vineyards Quartet / Polyphemus Woot Cellars / Wellington Vineyards / Castle Vineyards / JanKris Paso Robles Trio / Monkey Prize Woot Cellars / Foppiano Alexander Valley 2002 Sangiovese Quartet / Foley Vineyards Santa Ynez Valley Merlot Trio / Nicholson Ranch Estate 2001 Pinot Noir / Rinfrescante Woot Cellars

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Damn you, WineDavid! BV backed up by this? Tytanium tomorrow? Guess I'd better do my tax return this weekend!

As per the WineChurch Commandments, "In for Two."

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511
SonomaBouliste wrote:I think your comparison is accurate, and the two vineyards' character parallel each other quite consistently year to year. 2007 was an awesome vintage for us, and these two wines are emblematic of the wonderful weather conditions we had during harvest. The wines are very well knit, rich, aromatic and flavorful. IMHO, The hallmark of the 2007 vintage reds is the abundance of rich, round, tannins - that makes for wines that are good young and old. The alcohol levels are generally lower with our '07s also.

I have to agree 100% as I had the chance to have both a 2007 Zin and 2007 Syrah (Englandcrest) just last Monday and they were amazing. The Syrah had just enough tannin to make it drinkable without food and a finish so smooth you might not care if you have food or not. Suffice to say I looked up the prices right at the table and was shocked to see that it's only $18 from Wellington's site. IMHO it's worth a lot more than the asking price making this deal pretty damn good. If my cellar wasn't already overflowing from the wine.woot off I'd be in for three without blinking an eye.

CatherineB

quality posts: 3 Private Messages CatherineB

*sigh* Wellington!

In for one. Divorce lawyers aren't THAT expensive, are they? Can I pay one in wine?

hiten900

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900

I have enjoyed Syrah from Wellington twice in the past from wine.woot
Opens up beautifully in about an hour of aerating with earthy, grassy aromas. The taste is in line with the aroma. In for one.

svwindom

quality posts: 10 Private Messages svwindom

What Catherine said. Anyway, I've been a model of restraint this winter, and my husband likes Wellington anyway... In for, um, several.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
CatherineB wrote:*sigh* Wellington!

In for one. Divorce lawyers aren't THAT expensive, are they? Can I pay one in wine?

Seen on a bumper sticker: Love is Grand, Divorce is 100 Grand.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

Just in time. I'm down to only a single 2006 Estate from the last offering. They have been hard to keep around.

In for 1.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Corrado wrote:Damn you, WineDavid! BV backed up by this? Tytanium tomorrow? Guess I'd better do my tax return this weekend!

As per the WineChurch Commandments, "In for Two."

Had to remind me of the Commandments. It'll be two for me as well.

Blame it on Corrado.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
richardhod wrote:$5 more than last time, but IIRC in general 07 is better than 06 by more than 10%!

Great stuff, but can I ask those who've drunk a bunch of these: Anyone get 'mineral' in the flavour profile? I like that in a good Rhone Syrah...

These riper than 06, or just subtler oak?

"Riper" is a subjective term. Both vintages were fully ripe. During the 2007 harvest season the weather was remarkably consistent - mild and sunny. This allowed for gradual, steady final ripening with a result of ripe soft tannins while maintaining good acid levels. More even ripeness means fewer "green" aromas and flavors as well as less raisiny or overripe character.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

One can never have too many bottles of Wellington in the cellar - well, unless your name is Peter Wellington.

SonomaBouliste

duncan6894 wrote:Quick question. I've got one bottle of the 2003 petite syrah left for some reason. Is this still in a drinkable state, or probably not?

Are you perhaps referring to the Cuvee R Syrah? If so, it's still drinking very nicely (if stored under decent conditions).

CatherineB

svwindom wrote:What Catherine said. Anyway, I've been a model of restraint this winter, and my husband likes Wellington anyway... In for, um, several.

heh. Well I know who to look for if I end up needing a roomie in the future...

I didn't consider the commandments when I only purchased one this time around. But I did woot once a week for the last 4 weeks (See what a good girl I am, I even behaved during the last Woot-Off!), Plus I ordered a half case of the GSM from Mike Drash, so I think I'm covered.

SonomaBouliste

richardhod wrote:Hi Peter! I love your Syrah, as you know. and am back in Cali so maybe later next week we can play some Boule!!!
and to be clear... can you also likewise compare each 07 wine directly with its 06 counterpart, in any ways we and you might find enlightening? These are better, or just different?

Any French appellations this might be closest to?

Better? Chacun a son gout. I prefer the '07s. It would be presumptuous of me to compare these to the great appellations of the N. Rhone. I could draw parallels, but ultimately it is Sonoma Valley fruit.

schro5150

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schro5150
CatherineB wrote:*sigh* Wellington!

If there is no custody battle, I'm sure we could work out a deal. If there are minor children involved, you'd have to part with several bottles of balsamic, in addition.

SonomaBouliste

rlmanzo wrote:Peter, Thanks for your participation.

I bought 2 sets of your 2006 Syrah and really liked them. Fruitiness was superb. (In fact just finished the last one..)

I do recall the oak being quite prominent.

Could you compare/contrast the oak treatment of the 2006 vs. the 2007?

Thanks.

When I first got interested in Syrah in the 70's I was buying a lot of wine from Kermit Lynch. One of the KL staff had recommended
a very "smoky" St. Joseph. On a subsequent visit he asked me what I thought of the wine and I told him I thought it was too oaky. He explained that it had been aged in foudres (larger oak tanks) that were decades old, and that was Syrah I was interpreting as oak. None of our Syrahs have very much oak - they don't need it. Syrah has a unique aromatic makeup, with smoky, gamy elements.

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew

My Victory Reserve arrived just the other day and I really enjoyed the 07 zin - now a Syrah (an aussie favorite) comes along - I'm in!

SonomaBouliste

North316 wrote:Peter,

How long would recommend for decanting on these, if at all?

The EnglandCrest would probably benefit from decanting, but the Estate is pretty well evolved and most interesting and enjoyable right away.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

[quote postid="4891804" I prefer the '07s. It would be presumptuous of me to compare these to the great appellations of the N. Rhone. I could draw parallels, but ultimately it is Sonoma Valley fruit.[/quote]

Great answer!

Could you comment on the oak vs the 2006?

(edit) Sorry, above post not up yet. Thanks!

Is it broke or just fractured?

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo

Anyone else expecting to see yet another WW sellout today? What's the record for non-WW-off sellouts in a week? We have to be close to breaking it if we haven't already!

I really shouldn't do this, but I can't help but do my part to contribute. Why did you have to go and call this vintage "awesome," Peter? It's all your fault.

boaz38 wrote:bye bye wine woot, it's been a great time right up until you were taken over by that mega .com company

You say this during a Wellington offering?

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

SonomaBouliste

rlmanzo wrote:Great answer!

Could you comment on the oak vs the 2006?

(edit) Sorry, above post not up yet. Thanks!

The oak treatment is virtually identical every year. We use one or two new barrels in each wine each year from a cooperage that make a barrel particularly well suited for Syrah. Just a very subtle hint of oak.

ewqcsl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ewqcsl

I just looked at my wine.woot purchase history and there's an impressive list of wineries I've discovered through woot: Wellington, to start with, Corison, Titus, Andrew Murray, Roessler, Rasmussen, Expression 44, Ty Caton. Keep up the good work!

CatherineB

schro5150 wrote:If there is no custody battle, I'm sure we could work out a deal. If there are minor children involved, you'd have to part with several bottles of balsamic, in addition.

HA!!

The brood done flew the coop and we are empty nesters now. But I do have 3 lovely bottles of the balsamic.

hmmm...I wonder, if I store the wine in the boot for the ride down and then sneak the bottles in through the dark of night under my coat and down to the cellar a couple at a time, he'll never know that I've broken the HIWBM (husband imposed), right?

I just realized I have 4 deliveries scheduled in the next week....

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

One for me, one for the car. *sigh* Farewell, SIWBM! It was a good idea while it lasted...

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo
ewqcsl wrote:I just looked at my wine.woot purchase history and there's an impressive list of wineries I've discovered through woot: Wellington, to start with, Corison, Titus, Andrew Murray, Roessler, Rasmussen, Expression 44, Ty Caton. Keep up the good work!

This is why we love this place so much.

A few of my favorite discoveries - Wellington, Ty, Humanitas, Tallulah, Hendry, Meeker.

CatherineB wrote:HA!!I just realized I have 4 deliveries scheduled in the next week....

Yeah, I have five orders in transit at the moment - eesh!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
CatherineB wrote:HA!!

The brood done flew the coop and we are empty nesters now. But I do have 3 lovely bottles of the balsamic.

hmmm...I wonder, if I store the wine in the boot for the ride down and then sneak the bottles in through the dark of night under my coat and down to the cellar a couple at a time, he'll never know that I've broken the HIWBM (husband imposed), right?

I think you're going to need a bigger coat!

phidan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phidan

If this is anything like the zinfandel in quality, I'm very excited. First time I ever went in for two.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Peter I picked up a bottle of 2002 Wellington Syrah Reserve in last years wine club shipment.

Is this a drink now wine, or can it (should it) stay down for a few more years?

SonomaBouliste

bsevern wrote:Peter I picked up a bottle of 2002 Wellington Syrah Reserve in last years wine club shipment.

Is this a drink now wine, or can it (should it) stay down for a few more years?

Drink now.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
SonomaBouliste wrote:Drink now.

although with Peter's Syrah... if you didn't drink now, I remember his 94 Syrah (admittedly in Jeroboam) was still drinking perfectly in 2010, and seemed to have years left in it too! Seems like a "now, or whenever you feel like it" kind of drinking window

richardhod

CatherineB wrote:HA!!

So is the very existence of wine.woot a material factor in the disputes leading to your matrimonial disunity?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Hurrah for Syrah!

Best go alert some people I know before we sell out...

I'm just hanging out, really.

richardhod

SonomaBouliste wrote:When I first got interested in Syrah in the 70's I was buying a lot of wine from Kermit Lynch. One of the KL staff had recommended
a very "smoky" St. Joseph. On a subsequent visit he asked me what I thought of the wine and I told him I thought it was too oaky. He explained that it had been aged in foudres (larger oak tanks) that were decades old, and that was Syrah I was interpreting as oak. None of our Syrahs have very much oak - they don't need it. Syrah has a unique aromatic makeup, with smoky, gamy elements.

Now that IS interesting! I had been thinking perhaps the big skin tannins were involved somehow.. and you accidentally mention St Joseph. As it happens, I do suspect the Sonoma climate to be "continental" and not dissimilar to at least one of those appellations.

BTW what rootstock do you have on your Syrah, and what differences do you think that makes?

SonomaBouliste

richardhod wrote:Now that IS interesting! I had been thinking perhaps the big skin tannins were involved somehow.. and you accidentally mention St Joseph. As it happens, I do suspect the Sonoma climate to be "continental" and not dissimilar to at least one of those appellations.

BTW what rootstock do you have on your Syrah, and what differences do you think that makes?

Estate: The old vine is on various rootstocks with St.George predominant. The clone 174 is on 1103P, The Viognier is on 5C and 3309C.
EnglandCrest: 3309C, 110R, 101-14 depending on soil.

The difference imparted by rootstock is limited to the effects on vigor, which can be ameliorated by cultural practices such as irrigation timing and amount.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
richardhod wrote:Now that IS interesting! I had been thinking perhaps the big skin tannins were involved somehow.. and you accidentally mention St Joseph. As it happens, I do suspect the Sonoma climate to be "continental" and not dissimilar to at least one of those appellations.

For the record, I LOVE St. Joseph! Very excited to try these (although I understand Peter didn't make the comparison).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

islidur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages islidur

I would be all over this except, I'm leaving for Europe on the 15th. Will this arrive before then?

kylemittskus

islidur wrote:I would be all over this except, I'm leaving for Europe on the 15th. Will this arrive before then?

Likely not.

tabednar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabednar

Dug up some past reviews on older vintages:

2004 England Crest
Cost: $18 | Rating: 81
This wine is harsh in texture, with a green stem, puckery, mouthfeel that frames unripe herb and mint flavors barely suggesting cherries.

2005 England Crest
Cost: $18 | Rating: 83
Hard in tannins, with a backed, pie-filling quality to the blackberry and black cherry fruit, this bone-dry Syrah is made for drinking now with robust foods, like burgers or lasagna.

2006 Estate
Cost: $25 | Rating: 86
Delicious and spicy, if a little too soft in structure. Swamps the mouth with ripe, fruity flavors of cherries, raspberries, currants, and cola, with lots of savory black pepper.

Hope this helps...

Snooth | Cellar Tracker
Newest Addition: 2008 Avignonesi Rosso di Toscana & 2009 Paraduxx (Duckhorn Vineyards) Z Blend

kylemittskus

tabednar wrote:Dug up some past reviews on older vintages:

Hope this helps...

It doesn't without knowing where the reviews came from.