cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

In honor of "National Drink Wine Day", come join us for the Wine.Woot Cyber Wine Tasting event of the year: 2012 Fruit Forward & Fabulous!

Pick up a bottle (or two or three) of your guilty pleasure wine. Something big, bold, jammy, and fruity! The wine you're afraid to admit you love! The over-ripe Pinot Noirs. The grapefruity NZ Sauv Blancs. The sweet, grapey moscatos. Oh, hell -- even the super fruity sangria and Arbor Mist.

Come join us in a cyber-tasting and love-fest of all those great treats!

We don't have an official start time, so plan on popping in anytime after 7pm with a glass in hand, a snack on the plate, and smacking the ol' F5 just like it's a woot-off! Only slower!

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

We'll be there! ...or here!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
cjsiege wrote:In honor of "National Drink Wine Day", come join us for the Wine.Woot Cyber Wine Tasting event of the year: 2012 Fruit Forward & Fabulous!

Pick up a bottle (or two or three) of your guilty pleasure wine. Something big, bold, jammy, and fruity! The wine you're afraid to admit you love! The over-ripe Pinot Noirs. The grapefruity NZ Sauv Blancs. The sweet, grapey moscatos. Oh, hell -- even the super fruity sangria and Arbor Mist.

Come join us in a cyber-tasting and love-fest of all those great treats!

We don't have an official start time, so plan on popping in anytime after 7pm with a glass in hand, a snack on the plate, and smacking the ol' F5 just like it's a woot-off! Only slower!

7pm eastern time? I plan on being there!!

mommadeb1

I might be a bit late to our tasting.... was just invited to a friends house for the afternoon... I plan on being home for the tasting!!

cjsiege

mommadeb1 wrote:I might be a bit late to our tasting.... was just invited to a friends house for the afternoon... I plan on being home for the tasting!!

No worries! This is strictly a "drop in and stay as long as you care to" event. That's why I put 7pm and didn't put a time zone.

cjsiege

I have picked out my contenders from what was laying around the house.

NV Hillinger Secco (sparkling PN)
06 Cline Red Truck Cali Red Blend
08 Clif Family Climber White

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I think I have a Poizin that I'll open tonight. Maybe a malbec...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Enjoy. We'll be doing pizza, wine and games with some neighbors. Usually ends up being late. I will check in before I hit the sack.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Still recovering from surgery. Cant drink anything, but I am looking at a bottle of port that I will attack when I am off these meds

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

Where is everyone?

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Some here, some there, most are lost in a glass

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

cjsiege

InShadows wrote:Where is everyone?

I had to pull the pizza out of the oven.

Well, the 06 Red Truck crashed and burned. Tasted like Robitussin mixed with vodka. Bleh! Poor cellaring on my part.

So I've committed infanticide and popped open the 09 Woot Cellars Blitzen. It has a bit of a robitussin profile right now, but I think it's just really, really tight. Ty makes wines designed for cellaring. And the Blitzen is only a few months in the bottle right now. I usually try to hold the Woot cellar reds for at least 8 months.

I've passed a half glass thru a vinturi. Let's see how it's doing...

cjsiege

Here for the descriptors on Blitzen.

Write-up is pretty spot on for the nose. I'm getting the brandied/ported cherries and vanilla. Can't spot the cocoa, but I normally can't spot cocoa on the nose.

The PS is fighting really hard against the Merlot and the Sangio (probably the sangio moreso). It's like a Left Bank blend that bites back like a pit bull. I have to take small sips.

It's growing on me. Works with the pepperoni pizza.

cjsiege

InShadows wrote:Where is everyone?

I'm about 25 miles down the road from you. Wanna come over?

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

Drinking an 07 Benessare Pinot Grigio. I must drink this very soon. Watching the Immortals right now.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

InShadows wrote:Drinking an 07 Benessare Pinot Grigio. I must drink this very soon. Watching the Immortals right now.

Jealous! Of the Benessare! I haven't decided what I'll put on the TV tonight.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cjsiege wrote:Here for the descriptors on Blitzen.

Write-up is pretty spot on for the nose. I'm getting the brandied/ported cherries and vanilla. Can't spot the cocoa, but I normally can't spot cocoa on the nose.

The PS is fighting really hard against the Merlot and the Sangio (probably the sangio moreso). It's like a Left Bank blend that bites back like a pit bull. I have to take small sips.

It's growing on me. Works with the pepperoni pizza.

I am amused that for the event that started out as the antithesis to D&D, you chose something with PS in it

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cjsiege

cheron98 wrote:I am amused that for the event that started out as the antithesis to D&D, you chose something with PS in it

Me too! The label doesn't give the mix. When I tasted it, I was thinking, "Damn! This stuff is fighting the the glass! Wakko Talks Faboo!???"

Then I searched for the blog thread, which had the mix. Yep. Makes sense.

It's not really a FF&F - and I knew that would be the case with a TC wine. But I needed a red to go with the pizza, it was handy, and I still have 11 more bottles. I could sacrifice one Blitzen and hold back my nice 09 Malbec (which isn't exactly FF&F anyway).

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I shall be along in an hour after children are asleep. I'm drinking something from the Bowtie Mandolina collection, don't remember what it was though. It was white, that's all I know and wasn't Moscato (though that was in the box also).

Oddly, I seem to be literally missing my case of Toothy and EHP. I know they were downstairs, but I haven't seen them in forever. I'm starting to wonder if my thief f'n nephew stole them when I felt sorry for them and had his baby mamma babysitting for us.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I am sipping my Falanghina. Notes to follow at some point. Upon opening, blasted with petrol on the nose and in the mouth. Much tatier now 1 hour later.

Guests will be here soon for wine tasting. We'll check back in a bit!

Tonight's wines:
Red Blends

Tonight's menu:
Lasagna
Baby roasted veggies
Grilled lettuce with balsamic and olive oil
garlic bread

Assorted cheese, crackers, muffaletta spread, meats, olives, etc.

Cheesecake homemade & chocolate chip cookies

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

Wow - sanity, I'm awed. I feel so...inadequate.

As for me, I'm fresh back from Taiwan. And vertical! Due to jet lag, my body thinks it's early in the morning. So the needs of my palate are challenging.

The wine that fits the bill is the 2011 Domaine Sorin Rose.

Fresh. Like a breath of spring. So wonderful.

haileykuhn09

quality posts: 2 Private Messages haileykuhn09

Anyone remember the Peltier Station offering from April 2008? In honor of the PS woot off yesterday AND today's special day, I opened the 2005 PS PS. Holy Cow! Is there an adjective for something that is more fruit-forward than "fruit forward?" it is painful. I remember the other bottles in 2008 being decent. I'll be moving on to something else soon, after the lemon mascarpone blondies go into the oven.

mommadeb1

I just got home...had to stop and help a motorist who didn't realize the driveway he was turning arroud in had steep edges... his truck ended up in the ditch with one rear tire in the air!!!

While at my friends I brought her a sweet moscato that we added frozen blackberries to. Not my fav. but she doesn't like dry wines and I had bought a couple of bottles of this for turkey day... needed to make room in the fridge for "real" wines....

I too had opened a bottle of Blitzen a while back..... WAY to young....

Off to feeding critters and then I will be back...

Maybe open a PS or one of the TO hmmm what to open? Maybe I will try the INzinerator PB brought down.....

Pizza is in the oven, nothing fancy, store bought...

cjsiege

I have switched over to the 08 Clif Family Climber White. Acc'd to the bottle, this one is 88% Sauv Blanc. And you can really tell it when you get a whiff of the nose. Grapefruit!!! But the little bits of chenin blanc, moscato, and other whites really do a good job taming the astringency. Don't get me wrong. This does qualify as FF&F. But I've got some lovely lychee and kumquat blended in with the grapefruit

mommadeb1

I decided to open the Lang 2006 reserve Zinfandel.....

edit: first impression... not as dark as I would have expected.... Taste, a bit acidic and very light.....

otolith

Sadly, no wine tonight...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

haileykuhn09

quality posts: 2 Private Messages haileykuhn09

Off Peltier Station and onto Susan Balbo 2009 Malbec. Fits the theme for the night.

bhodilee

so went with Mandolina 07 Malvasia Blanca and its damn good. I think L&Lis my favorite "cheap" winery by far.

smells like a meadow in spring tastes like clovers, really nothing to dislike, though its a little sweet for me

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

mommadeb1

otolith wrote:Sadly, no wine tonight...

why?

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:why?

bet he's on call

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:bet he's on call

duh....... makes sense

mommadeb1

not really enjoying the wine....will let it "air out" as I like to say.... for a bit and see if it opens up a bit...

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Had to run in tote office tonight, so no wine here either. I'll be participating vicariously through everyone's notes. Sound good so far!

otolith

No call. Ate at MIL's place, just got home, and am tired. I'll make up for it some other day.

--John Muir

bhodilee

otolith wrote:No call. Ate at MIL's place, just got home, and am tired. I'll make up for it some other day.

what did you eat?

mommadeb1

nope... definitely do not like this wine.....maybe I will try something else

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Fair amount of wine at my friends. But all dry reds, after the Manhattans of course. He does not like anything that isn't dry, so no wine that would qualify as FF. Tomorrow, assuming this intestinal thing doesn't get worse.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Fair amount of wine at my friends. But all dry reds, after the Manhattans of course. He does not like anything that isn't dry, so no wine that would qualify as FF. Tomorrow, assuming this intestinal thing doesn't get worse.

eww, nothing worse than intestinal distress!!

mommadeb1

I opened the 2008 Paso Robles Primivito.... much better than the Lang Zin....

much smoother!!not as fruity as I would have wanted....

otolith

bhodilee wrote:what did you eat?

Some sort of pho. It was pretty good! And I'm stuffed, hence, no wine. I have to exercise tomorrow.

--John Muir