PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

PoSt away, folks!

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:no fair!!!!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ (no changes from last week, IIRC):

Remember, Dark & Delicious is this week!!!!

cjsiege wrote:Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of February 5th.

February
2/17-20: Dark & Delicious Weekend

April
4/27-28: Ohio Wine Dinner with Scott and Jana Harvey
TBD: NoVA/DC #26: Theme TBD
TBD: NYC #19: Cool stuff mikegberg is going to miss on the tour
TBD: NorCal #12: Volcanic Terroir

May
5/19: CyberPub Cellars 2011 Rogue Rhone Bottling- NEWEST Thread!

July
7/17-19: RPM's History Tour, Part 1
7/23-25 or 7/24-26: RPM's History Tour, Part 2

Pending
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!

So join or create a WW Gathering now!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Bad title for the pub. Too close to the title of the D & D thread.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

D&D this weekend, good for them.

Sake tasting this weekend, GREAT for me.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:D&D this weekend, good for them.

Sake tasting this weekend, GREAT for me.

Sake-induced posting from bowtie--GREAT for all of us!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

otolith wrote:Sake-induced posting from bowtie--GREAT for all of us!

maybe, it's a japanese store down the street from my house. Though EVERYTHING is down the street from my house it seems. I live the perfect area of town. Didn't plan it that way, just kinda worked out.

Anyway, I was there this weekend getting some Udon and that no calorie noodle stuff, can't remember the name. Anyway, they have basically exclusively Gekkaikan or whatever Sake, which I've never been impressed with. But free Sake is free Sake. I'm sure I'll buy a bottle of something.

Also, Sake One must not sell here at all anymore. I can't find it anywhere I used to find it. Sadness.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

WANT TO HUG!...you can't tell us you're going to drink sake this weekend and then NOT post...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Grape prices hit new high in California for 2011 crop:

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/529745/grape-prices-rise-in-california-sideways-effect-reversed?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Are wine prices next? Also, Pinot prices dropping while Merlot prices rising a bit.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

bhodilee

otolith wrote:WANT TO HUG!...you can't tell us you're going to drink sake this weekend and then NOT post...

Have you ever known me to do what's expected of me?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:Have you ever known me to do what's expected of me?

So we now expect you NOT to post.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:So we now expect you NOT to post.

Hey! do not try to reverse bowtie me!

that sounds soooooo wrong.

Hi HAK

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:Hey! do not try to reverse bowtie me!

that sounds soooooo wrong.

Hi HAK

reverse bowtie... hmm...

No, I think it's best to NOT try to expound on that

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:reverse bowtie... hmm...

No, I think it's best to NOT try to expound on that

yes, pounding is probably a bad idea on many fronts.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
bhodilee wrote:yes, pounding is probably a bad idea on many fronts.

Unless it's bowtie pounding sake (or sake pounding bowtie). Then we're all in favor.

CT

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
MarkDaSpark wrote:Courtesy of CJ (no changes from last week, IIRC):

Actually, there is a change. The new NorCal (Volcanic TERROR!!!) is on the list. I've pinned it to March, since they are still in the date-negotiating phase.

(Yes, I know it's actually Terroir, but I still think Volcanic TERROR sounds much more fun! Wine + Monster Movies!)

cjsiege

bahwm wrote:Bad title for the pub. Too close to the title of the D & D thread.

Agreed! I think something like "Zenaida Mondatta" would be better. And would give kitteh much more better songs in her head all week.

cheron98

cjsiege wrote:Agreed! I think something like "Zenaida Mondatta" would be better. And would give kitteh much more better songs in her head all week.

Is is wrong that that inspired "Hakuna Matata" in my head? The title. Not the album. Since I don't know the album. Or any of the songs on the album, for that matter. Was never a huge fan of The Police

cjsiege

cheron98 wrote:Is is wrong that that inspired "Hakuna Matata" in my head? The title. Not the album. Since I don't know the album. Or any of the songs on the album, for that matter. Was never a huge fan of The Police

Ugh! How can anyone not be a huge fan of the Police! Songs about nuclear war, stalkers (before they were called stalkers), corporate greed, dysfunctional family life impacting future relationships, D/s, general anarchy in the streets... All with a kick-ass backbeat. What's not to like?

You are *dead* to me!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I've recovered!! Friday night had what I think is highest fever I've had. Set the electic mattress pad at 10, even though I have never had it higher than 2 for more than 15 minutes. SWMBO put another blanket, folded over on me. And I finally stopped shivering. Nothing else felt wrong, just the fever. But I was beat on Saturday. And that was the day for my daughter and a dozen friends to party. All but one spent the night, all over the house.

It is great that ours was the house to come hang out at. We knew all her friends and from that, knew she made good decisions. And it was really fun seeing all of them again.

And she will be here to have Valentine's dinner with my wife and I. Omaha Steaks filets and a great bottle of wine.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

cjsiege wrote:Ugh! How can anyone not be a huge fan of the Police! Songs about nuclear war, stalkers (before they were called stalkers), corporate greed, dysfunctional family life impacting future relationships, D/s, general anarchy in the streets... All with a kick-ass backbeat. What's not to like?

You are *dead* to me!

I was going to post a link to a song, then realized, all of these songs suck. So instead, I'll just post the youtube police page.

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
bhodilee wrote:I was going to post a link to a song, then realized, all of these songs suck. So instead, I'll just post the youtube police page.

We really need to petition for a "like" or at least a "this don't suck" button on here!

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Forecast for tomorrow. Cloudy with a chance of Wootin-off.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:Actually, there is a change. The new NorCal (Volcanic TERROR!!!) is on the list. I've pinned it to March, since they are still in the date-negotiating phase.

(Yes, I know it's actually Terroir, but I still think Volcanic TERROR sounds much more fun! Wine + Monster Movies!)

Well, if someone hadn't been slacking off ....

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
cortot20 wrote:Forecast for tomorrow. Cloudy with a chance of Wootin-off.

noooooooo I have no room!!!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Looks like double trouble with a WTSO cheapskate Wednesday this week as well. Yikes!

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
redwinefan wrote:Looks like double trouble with a WTSO cheapskate Wednesday this week as well. Yikes!

crap, I forgot about cheapskate Wednesday!

cjsiege

MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, if someone hadn't been slacking off ....

Actually, I *did* update it at about 2pm yesterday. I just hosed up and did an edit instead of a new line item. Hey - when you're the only person posting in a thread, it gets really easy to slip up.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:Actually, I *did* update it at about 2pm yesterday. I just hosed up and did an edit instead of a new line item. Hey - when you're the only person posting in a thread, it gets really easy to slip up.

Hmmm, then it should have been on the list. Since I thought I used the latest post on it.

Ahhhh, it's in April's list. And you can say that again ... many times I've thought I hit the reply, but hit edit instead. Or is that the other way around?

MarkDaSpark

Probably next week ....

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:Probably next week ....

Yup.
They have been happening like clock work over the last year or two.

I felt like they used to be a lot more random.

CT

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

redwinefan wrote:Grape prices hit new high in California for 2011 crop:

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/529745/grape-prices-rise-in-california-sideways-effect-reversed?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Are wine prices next? Also, Pinot prices dropping while Merlot prices rising a bit.

Pinot has doubled if not tripled over the last few weeks in Sonoma County...2011 marks the 3rd vintage of a shortage thanks to Mother Nature.

WineDavid was my Boss!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
texacaliali wrote:Pinot has doubled if not tripled over the last few weeks in Sonoma County...2011 marks the 3rd vintage of a shortage thanks to Mother Nature.

Is that bulk wine prices? I can't imagine any grapes running around at this point! Are there different prices for young bulk wines versus aged ones?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:Is that bulk wine prices? I can't imagine any grapes running around at this point! Are there different prices for young bulk wines versus aged ones?

sorta. there's an entire wine-making channel in negotiation. if a winery feels like they need cash flow now, or maybe could sell what they have in tank/barrel for more than they could sell it for in a few years...many factors and money is talking these days. wineries who lost grapes are digging hard for good juice right now, I heard of an offer recently for $50 a gallon for totally mediocre 2011 pinot noir juice. Good wineries will hang onto every bit of juice they have and possibly try to source more from reliable others.

I know of winemakers who are sourcing wines/juice from outside the US to make up for short Cali vintages. Growers right now are also in the drivers seat, asking to review contracts and gaining some lost $$ from former down-years. A big under-current of inventory needs swirling...

WineDavid was my Boss!

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

I hope not.... I'm getting into that awkward period where I don't know if I should be purchasing wine online or not. Tentative move to the East Coast is about two weeks away (and the worst part being is the "tentative" part... when do I start packing!?)

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
mommadeb1 wrote:crap, I forgot about cheapskate Wednesday!

Starting at 6am ET!? I am soooo not a morning person. *grumble *grumble*

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:Yup.
They have been happening like clock work over the last year or two.

I felt like they used to be a lot more random.

They used to be. I think last year was the first year of regular woot-offs. Year before that we had the hour-long Woot-offs.

MarkDaSpark

Google is doing a special for us again.

Just go to their Search page and click on the Play icon.

Oh, and ....

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Speaking of google...

Go to google and search "do a barrel roll." I just learned about this one and thought I would share for those are as far behind the times as I am.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:Speaking of google...

Go to google and search "do a barrel roll." I just learned about this one and thought I would share for those are as far behind the times as I am.

Yes, you are.

Also, there are these goodies.