joannevicious

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joannevicious

Looks like our last NorCal gathering was in August (so so so sad I missed that one), and I haven't been to one in FOREVER. So I am proposing a new one!

Wines of vineyards located on VOLCANOES! Yes, volcanoes. I'm thinking Mt. Etna, etc. (I just has this amazing wine from Terre Nerre last night.)

That might be a smidge difficult so I'm throwing in the option of Eastern Europe as well: Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, etc.

Please also bring a food pairing.

(And I promise not to fall asleep at 8pm this time, but y'all will get kicked out at 10--sorry, we's got kids.)

ON FIRE:
1. tenuki
2. sashasana
3. joannevicious (2008 Maganazzi-Volta Sciara Etna Rosso Le Vigne di Eli)
4. joannevicious +1
5. joannevicious +2
6. joannevicious +3

TEPID:
1. CAGirl

ICY:
1. cmaldoon
2. klezman

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

I'm in so long as I'm in town that weekend. I'm moving to the dreaded SoCal, probably sometime in March, but will be spending a week a month up here. I am also intending on having a bit of a going away/help me drink my cellar party. But tenuki is supposed to do one of those as well.

Basically, until my schedule sorts itself out I am wanting to be in but can't suggest dates.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
klezman wrote:I'm in so long as I'm in town that weekend. I'm moving to the dreaded SoCal, probably sometime in March, but will be spending a week a month up here. I am also intending on having a bit of a going away/help me drink my cellar party. But tenuki is supposed to do one of those as well.

Basically, until my schedule sorts itself out I am wanting to be in but can't suggest dates.

You are? I'll have to introduce you to some people! My commiserations!

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
klezman wrote:I'm in so long as I'm in town that weekend. I'm moving to the dreaded SoCal, probably sometime in March, but will be spending a week a month up here. I am also intending on having a bit of a going away/help me drink my cellar party. But tenuki is supposed to do one of those as well.

To be fair, I've been meaning to host for like two years now and it hasn't happened, so I'm fairly certain you're fine booking before me

I'm probably in for Volcanic night too, though finding something will be interesting.

CT

tenuki

joannevicious wrote:(And I promise not to fall asleep at 8pm this time.)

Possible dates (all Saturdays):

March 10th
March 17th (though this is my birthday so probably no)
March 24th
April 7th
April 21st
April 28th
May 5th (cinco de mayo!)
May 26th
June 2nd

Let me know if you're interested, what dates work, and what you might like to bring...

It's not a party at your place if you don't fall asleep! (I've power napped at quite a few gatherings :P)

3/24 and 4/7 are fine for me, but J's out of town so less favorable. 5/5 is Vincent Arroyo open house, which I love to hit (and y'all should come out too of course).

CT

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

For some reason, every time I see the thread title, I see Volcanic TERROR. Now *that's* a party!

[music]
So, Tonight I'm going to party like it's A.D. 79!
[/music]

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
tenuki wrote:It's not a party at your place if you don't fall asleep! (I've power napped at quite a few gatherings :P)

3/24 and 4/7 are fine for me, but J's out of town so less favorable. 5/5 is Vincent Arroyo open house, which I love to hit (and y'all should come out too of course).

Are you going to go to Vincent Arroyo's barrel tasting at the end of the month?

By the way, I'm interested in a Nor Cal gathering. Looking forward to it. And as of right now, I'm pretty flexible on the date. That might all change if I find a job though.

tenuki

CAGrl wrote:Are you going to go to Vincent Arroyo's barrel tasting at the end of the month?

By the way, I'm interested in a Nor Cal gathering. Looking forward to it. And as of right now, I'm pretty flexible on the date. That might all change if I find a job though.

I normally would but I'll probably be in Vegas that weekend.

CT

joannevicious

cjsiege wrote:For some reason, every time I see the thread title, I see Volcanic TERROR. Now *that's* a party!

[music]
So, Tonight I'm going to party like it's A.D. 79!
[/music]

<3<3<3

joannevicious

tenuki wrote:It's not a party at your place if you don't fall asleep! (I've power napped at quite a few gatherings :P)

So does that mean that you can do all the dates except 5/5 and would prefer not 3/24 and 4/7?

tenuki

joannevicious wrote:So does that mean that you can do all the dates except 5/5 and would prefer not 3/24 and 4/7?

Yeah. Thanks

CT

klezman

richardhod wrote:You are? I'll have to introduce you to some people! My commiserations!

Yes...please do!

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I'm in the area and quite interested but it will really be date/work schedule dependant. As we get closer, I'll firm up.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

joannevicious

cmaldoon wrote:I'm in the area and quite interested but it will really be date/work schedule dependant. As we get closer, I'll firm up.

All those dates are Saturdays... Are there any that you know would work? Or not work?

cmaldoon

joannevicious wrote:All those dates are Saturdays... Are there any that you know would work? Or not work?

3/24 does not work (in LA)
5/26 doesnt either (gf Bday)

Other than that it probably would

My Cellar

joannevicious

cmaldoon wrote:3/24 does not work (in LA)
5/26 doesnt either (gf Bday)

Other than that it probably would

I have updated the info page. I'm leaning towards April 21st or 28th... Thoughts on those dates?

cmaldoon

joannevicious wrote:I have updated the info page. I'm leaning towards April 21st or 28th... Thoughts on those dates?

4/21. Work is less likely to interfere

My Cellar

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
joannevicious wrote:I have updated the info page. I'm leaning towards April 21st or 28th... Thoughts on those dates?

As of right now, either date works for me. Won't really know until it gets closer since hubby sometimes works on Saturdays. Also that both dates are close to our anniversary.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

I like march 10 but may be outvoted!
Although we could Also have on on 10th! Perhaps in SOMA or NoeValley if you like, or at someone else's place!

joannevicious

richardhod wrote:I like march 10 but may be outvoted!
Although we could Also have on on 10th! Perhaps in SOMA or NoeValley if you like, or at someone else's place!

Sorrrry. Settled on 4/21. Though, if someone wants to do 3/10 I'm happy to change my number to lucky 13!!

klezman

joannevicious wrote:Sorrrry. Settled on 4/21. Though, if someone wants to do 3/10 I'm happy to change my number to lucky 13!!

I will do my best to make April 21. Job flux, yada yada yada...

I will probably also do a short notice semi-event before shoving off to SoCal. March 10 is a potential day for that. Or Richard can have us all over to some place in the city.

joannevicious

I changed my mind. April is too far away. Let's do March 10th. Let me know if you can make it and what you'll be bringing. We'll also need food.

klezman

joannevicious wrote:I changed my mind. April is too far away. Let's do March 10th. Let me know if you can make it and what you'll be bringing. We'll also need food.

I'm in, hopefully +1, unless molarchae decides to do her birthday event that day. I'll have to see if I've got any wine in stock that would satisfy...otherwise I might try to get some Etna Rosso or something.

tenuki

joannevicious wrote:I changed my mind. April is too far away. Let's do March 10th. Let me know if you can make it and what you'll be bringing. We'll also need food.

I'll probably make it, will start looking for something volcanic. J is out.

CT

joannevicious

Maybe to make things a little easier we could make it Volcanic OR Eastern European (Hungary, etc.).

tenuki

joannevicious wrote:Maybe to make things a little easier we could make it Volcanic OR Eastern European (Hungary, etc.).

Yeah, gets a little confusing, was googling and even some of Rutherford claims volcanic soils.

Did find this wonderful tasting note.
Los Bermejos Malvasia Seco 2009
Floral, and intensely mineral driven. Like licking a volcano.

CT

joannevicious

tenuki wrote:Yeah, gets a little confusing, was googling and even some of Rutherford claims volcanic soils.

Did find this wonderful tasting note.
Los Bermejos Malvasia Seco 2009
Floral, and intensely mineral driven. Like licking a volcano.

Ooooh that sounds GOOD.

cmaldoon

Is 1989 Corison Volcanic or Eastern European? ;-P

My Cellar

cmaldoon

Though I'll probably bring this:

"Eruption" High Valley Volcano Ridge Vineyard Proprietary Red Wine 2009 (Lake County, California)

TASTING NOTES:
Mourvedre, Syrah, Grenache and Petite Sirah are artfully blended to create a symphonic eruption of aromas and flavors in the glass. Ripe plums dominate the nose along with smoky tar, cedar, cigar box and toffee nuances. The big fruit offering on the palate of juicy flavors are reminiscent of blueberry, plums and hints of black pepper. Full of depth and concentration the wine finishes with medium tannins and a lingering finish.

VINEYARD NOTES:
Volcano Ridge vineyard is located at the steep slopes of an extinct cinder cone at 2,200 feet above sea level. The pure volcanic soils, or "tephra", are extremely well-drained and are ideal for vine stress and restricting crop yields. Our inaugural Southern Rhone-styled blend represents four first crop vineyards combined to produce a rustic yet elegant wine typical of that region. Each vineyard block was picked at the peak of ripeness and handled separately throughout the fermentation and subsequent barrel aging process.

My Cellar

cmaldoon

Or a Gruner Veltliner if Austria counts as "eastern European" It might be nice to mix in a white.

My Cellar

joannevicious

So I do have a Hungarian white. And, you know, Sicily has a volcano. I think Austria might be stretching it a bit... Maybe...

I have a
2008 Maganazzi-Volta Sciara Etna Rosso Le Vigne di Eli - DEFINITELY volcanic
2008 Marco De Bartoli Zibibbo Integer (Sicilian, need to make sure it's volcanic, and a white!)
2009 Királyudvar Tokaji Sec (white)

joannevicious

Hellooooooooooooooooooooo.

People coming next weekend? What are you bringing?

klezman

Sadly my likelihood of being able to attend is decreasing. Work called me to LA this weekend, so there's a good chance the birthday celebrations scheduled for this week are moved to next week. Unless I'm in NYC for my newborn nephew. Still holding out hope though!

cmaldoon

*sigh* ... I just got thrust onto shift work starting Monday. I'll be working Midnight to noon 7 days a week for 3-4 weeks. Although this means I won't be working during the time of the party, I also won't be able to drink and then go in to work.

I think I'm out now.... and the wine I had looked sooo promising!

My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

How about a "Welcome to So Cal gathering to drink the impending misery away the second it starts" get together?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

joannevicious

cmaldoon wrote:*sigh* ... I just got thrust onto shift work starting Monday. I'll be working Midnight to noon 7 days a week for 3-4 weeks. Although this means I won't be working during the time of the party, I also won't be able to drink and then go in to work.

I think I'm out now.... and the wine I had looked sooo promising!

BLARGH.

Attendance updated.

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:How about a "Welcome to So Cal gathering to drink the impending misery away the second it starts" get together?

I'm down for that. Weekend after Passover? I wouldn't want to go wine tasting/drinking without the ability to combine meat and cheese and tasty salted pig parts.

Now I get to draw on two collections of gatherings

klezman

I'm officially happy to be an uncle and be in NY next weekend, and sad to be missing the tasting. Enjoy!

joannevicious

klezman wrote:I'm officially happy to be an uncle and be in NY next weekend, and sad to be missing the tasting. Enjoy!

Congrats! Squish the baby for me!

joannevicious

Due to low attendance/interest I am considering postponing this gathering.

Thoughts?