2 NV White Flowers Sweet Sparkling Riesling, 750ml
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

w00tgurl

quality posts: 26 Private Messages w00tgurl

how pretty. anything sparkly reminds me of celebrating special occassions

Cat & Duck's Investigative Assistant
LONG LIVE WOOT CLUE 2012! r.i.p. you are miseed

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Something has to be wrong with this short list! NM is never left off the list. We are lax on everything to include the charge for wineries to ship here. If there is a rep here, can you look into this? I would be in for one if I could

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

I've been asking for a Reisling. This isn't exactly what I had in mind, but I just may have to give it a try. Or maybe I should hold off for a non-sparkling Reisling Wine.Woot deal...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

bkarlan

The only thing shorter than this ship to list is the bus I use to take to school

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Looks tasty. Would like to compare with a good Sekt. Are these méthode traditionnelle or Charmat?

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Hmmm... I would definitely be in for one if this was an all Brut pack. I'm going to have to mull the half sweet/half dry aspect over, but I'll probably be in for one since I could make some friends happy with the sweet ones.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

mschauber

bkarlan wrote:Something has to be wrong with this short list! NM is never left off the list. We are lax on everything to include the charge for wineries to ship here. If there is a rep here, can you look into this? I would be in for one if I could

The wine maker left his twitter account on the Vinter Voice mail thing.. I don't remember what it was since I don't really use twit, but you can get him that way.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

bkarlan

mschauber wrote:The wine maker left his twitter account on the Vinter Voice mail thing.. I don't remember what it was since I don't really use twit, but you can get him that way.

Good call. I will do that in the morning as I have a sick kid sleeping on one arm and it is quite difficult ro type intelligently on a phone with a thumb

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Looks very interesting. I've had a sparkling Riesling before, but it was a long time ago when my Mom worked at Wiebel. Those guys made sparklers out of everything, and they were surprisingly tasty (and inexpensive with the employee discount

Heck $12.50/ bottle seems great

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

This sounds so interesting but I've already wooted more than I should this week...

On a more random note - is lab ratting dead with the new offer every day scheme? Would be helpful to get some first-hand feed-back on such a unique offer!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
wordek wrote:This sounds so interesting but I've already wooted more than I should this week...

On a more random note - is lab ratting dead with the new offer every day scheme? Would be helpful to get some first-hand feed-back on such a unique offer!

WineDavid will be announcing the new rat program any day now...but it's on hold until then.

iByron

redwinefan wrote:Hmmm... I would definitely be in for one if this was an all Brut pack. I'm going to have to mull the half sweet/half dry aspect over, but I'll probably be in for one since I could make some friends happy with the sweet ones.

With a difference in alcohol of 0.5%, we're probably talking the difference between Brut and Demi-Sec in Champagne. That is, not incredibly noticeable difference unless you're drinking them side-by-side. Even the description says the wine is "sweetish" which is pretty much the translation of Demi-Sec. Besides bubbles have the effect of enhancing perception of acidity and diminishing perception of sweetness, so don't expect Martinelli's sparkling apple juice.

What is curious though is that the Sweet is listed as having higher alcohol than the Brut. How did they do that? Or is it a typo?

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

redwinefan wrote:Hmmm... I would definitely be in for one if this was an all Brut pack. I'm going to have to mull the half sweet/half dry aspect over, but I'll probably be in for one since I could make some friends happy with the sweet ones.

Austin Texas Tip: 1 bottle of Sweet Sparkling mixed with 1 pitcher of Changos - Strawberry Agua Fresca on S. Lamar will make YOU and your friends happy.

The "Sweet" Sparkling is subtle, like a Moscato d'Asti with good acidity, citrus notes and a little floral. Very Pleasant.

WineDavid was my Boss!

iByron

Yeah, I corrected my spelling of "Charmat".

Your Private WIneaux

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

From the winery: On the Brut...

Our style: The winemaking is more or less a luxury Charmat (or cuve close) method. We age our base wine on lees for an extended amount of time (this is really not traditional). We actually are starting to age a fraction of the blend for over a year. Lees aging gives a great body to the base wine and more complexity.

Our acids are quite high which requires a dosing toward the upper end of brut at 18g/L - Never fear, the sugar is perfectly balanced by the acid and usually the wine comes out as quite dry.

At the end, the “White Flowers” Sparkling Riesling is floral, yeasty, low alcohol (11.5%) and dryish. It is a great Riesling single vineyard sparkler on its own or as a cocktail base.

WineDavid was my Boss!

mhs85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mhs85

Looks interesting, and my state is on the "short list". In for one!

texacaliali wrote:From the winery: On the Brut...

Our style: The winemaking is more or less a luxury Charmat (or cuve close) method. We age our base wine on lees for an extended amount of time (this is really not traditional). We actually are starting to age a fraction of the blend for over a year. Lees aging gives a great body to the base wine and more complexity.

Our acids are quite high which requires a dosing toward the upper end of brut at 18g/L - Never fear, the sugar is perfectly balanced by the acid and usually the wine comes out as quite dry.

At the end, the “White Flowers” Sparkling Riesling is floral, yeasty, low alcohol (11.5%) and dryish. It is a great Riesling single vineyard sparkler on its own or as a cocktail base.

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

and a few wine-geeky stats on the Sweet Sparkling from the winery:

Our inspiration is a bit from the sparkling moscatos (Spumante) and a bit from the German Sekt. Riesling is a fantastic grape for Sparkling wine production, it has high acid and it is quite fragrant early in the ripening season (this is important because early in the ripening season means lower sugar and lower sugar matters because any sparkling wine requires two fermentations which compounds the alcohol). I think we are still trying to find our style, first vintage is nice and we have learned a lot from it.

Grape Sourcing: Our Sparkling grapes come from the Selenium vineyard in the Yakima Valley. They are selected from a single block planted with clones 198 and 110. In essence this wine is a single vineyard wine though we do not advertise this on the front label.

What is the winemaking process:

· Base wine winemaking
1- Grapes are picked at about 19 Brix
2 – We make a yeast starter a week in advance for this block
3- Grapes are pressed and the resulting juice is racked
4- Fermented to complete dryness
5- Aged on lees for at least 6 months, no sulfites added during that time
6- Racked out of lees, bentonite added for protein stability – racked out of bentonite
7- tartrate stabilization and filtration
·

Prise de Mousse – Secondary fermentation
1- The secondary fermentation is done in tank (this is done in CA because we do not have the equipment in WA and it is very expensive to acquire- $500K) – Sugar is added + yeast
2- All the carbon dioxide from the secondary fermentation is captured so that the resulting wine is carbonated – 10g/L is the final concentration of carbon dioxide
3- The sparkling wine is filtered and dosed with cane sugar at 70g/L at bottling

WineDavid was my Boss!

mschauber

bkarlan wrote:Good call. I will do that in the morning as I have a sick kid sleeping on one arm and it is quite difficult ro type intelligently on a phone with a thumb

I hear you. I don't have any human kids, but I do have 2 cats & 2 dogs. 3 of them want my lap/shoulders quite often and if one finds a place to rest on my, you can bet the others aren't far behind. I can't tell you the # of times I've sat with my arms straight, hands on the keyboard and unable to move anything but my finger without disturbing my spoiled brats

You should try Dragon Naturally speaking, you can even use a bluetooth headset and fully control your computer with your voice. And if you train it using a low voice, like you'd use when you don't want to wait your child, you'd be surprised how accurate it is. I have a # of doctors as clients and they rarely take their keyboards out of the drawer.

--
My CT

mschauber

Oy vey, I'm in for one. This just sounds too interesting to pass up.

EDIT:
This is for 2 bottles of each, correct?

Main page description:

Ah, two bottles of NV White Flowers Brut Sparkling Riesling and two bottles of NV White Flowers Sweet Sparkling Riesling.

Checkout description (on 2nd page where you have to click the 'stupidly large button'):

1 NV WHITE FLOWERS BRUT SPARKLING RIESLING, 750ML:
1 NV WHITE FLOWERS SWEET SPARKLING RIESLING, 750ML:
--
My CT

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

mschauber wrote:Oy vey, I'm in for one. This just sounds too interesting to pass up.

EDIT:
This is for 2 bottles of each, correct?

Main page description:

Correct 2 bottles of each! This should be corrected by the woot folks any minute. thx!

WineDavid was my Boss!

mschauber

texacaliali wrote:Correct 2 bottles of each! This should be corrected by the woot folks any minute. thx!

Thanks texacaliali.

I'm stupidly pressing the large button right now, lol.

--
My CT

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

mschauber wrote:Thanks texacaliali.

I'm stupidly pressing the large button right now, lol.

no sweat, enjoy the bubbles.

WineDavid was my Boss!

bkarlan

Confirmed, they really don't ship to NM. Many places out here have them in stock, to include Costco. I will head out and about the town tomorrow to see which bottles of this company each place has. Unfortunately if I can find these I will be paying more than Woot

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
texacaliali wrote:Austin Texas Tip: 1 bottle of Sweet Sparkling mixed with 1 pitcher of Changos - Strawberry Agua Fresca on S. Lamar will make YOU and your friends happy.

That location of Changos is closed This does sound like a good combo though so I may have to wander to the Guadalupe location.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

redwinefan wrote:That location of Changos is closed This does sound like a good combo though so I may have to wander to the Guadalupe location.

bummer, I lived close to S. Lamar for years.

WineDavid was my Boss!

KupoCheer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KupoCheer

I suppose by now that my *first* reaction to a Wine.Woot should be to look at the State shipping availability, rather than getting my hopes up and having them dashed.

pagreen

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pagreen
mschauber wrote:
You should try Dragon Naturally speaking . . ..

Is that dry or off-dry?

kajeff123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kajeff123

This is the 3rd Woot I have wanted to buy in the past few weeks.....go to press that large button.....and find out that there are no shipments to GA. What's up with that? I have been buying from wine.woot for several years and it seems that there are more wineries on here lately that just don't ship to GA.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

I know my valentine would prefer balsamic...

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
texacaliali wrote: The winemaking is more or less a luxury Charmat (or cuve close) method.

I suddenly feel much less upset over the ship-to list...

blueink10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blueink10

Why no shipping to Wisconsin? I've ordered from wine.woot before.

mrichmond3737

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrichmond3737

I call BS on this ship-to list. Wisconsin encourages wine shipments from other states because our home-spun wine is so profoundly terrible.

Ah, well. Other web stores don't list Wisconsin as blocked, and their per bottle price is comparable.

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

I thought I recognized the name, Pacific Rim.
Had some of their reisling. Was a value wine at the local grocery store.
If I wasn't on my SIWBM, I'd be in for three to stock up for summer porch sippin' and White Sangrias per the recipe someone posted here.

bkarlan

NascarDad wrote:I know my valentine would prefer balsamic...

I gave in and ordered through the company; paid a premium and waited as long as smart post, but it arrived late yesterday evening.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
NascarDad wrote:I know my valentine would prefer balsamic...

Yeah. WD or TXCA, is it coming? Or did missing Christmas mean no offer this year?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mother wrote:I suddenly feel much less upset over the ship-to list...

It seems that lately, most of the offers I am interested in do not ship here. Helps keep me from over-buying, but nothing in the past two months is very low for me.

I did not try to get the Scott Harvey offer direct this time, but assumed I could have. So it is that or wootlegging that is left to us.

Sigh!!

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

melonbone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melonbone

What the heck? No Wisconsin? I can't remember having been left off the list. I am a sucker for sparklers so this makes me sad.
What is the price at Costco, btw? I have an N.M. connection who could maybe hook me up...

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

No Ohio saves me again.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013