mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

DATE: Saturday, April 21
WHERE: mikegberg's (lower Westchester)
POUR TIME: 7:15 pm
ARRIVAL TIME: 6:45 pm
THEME: Black Tie Optional - Bring something worthy of a special event (or not)

THE WINE LIST:
mikegberg: 2008 Domaine Camus-Bruchon & Fils Savigny-lès-Beaune Aux Grands Liards Vieilles Vignes (Pinot Noir)
mikegberg+1: 2004 Mount Veeder Winery Reserve (Bordeaux Blend)
mikegberg(extra): 2008 Flowers Chardonnay Sonoma Coast
mikegberg(extra extra):2007 Hunt Country Vineyards Vignoles Late Harvest
iByron: 1989 Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled
iByron+1: 1989 Dolce Winery Late Harvest (Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc Blend)
iByron(extra): 1995 Pommery Champagne Brut Grand Cru
HitAnyKey42: 2004 Titus Lot 1 (PS/PV/Zinfandel)
ratnikov: 2005 Domaine des Roches Neuves (Thierry Germain) Saumur-Champigny La Marginale (Cabernet Franc)
ratnikov+1: 2005 Château Malartic-Lagravière Blanc (Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc Blend)
ratnikov(extra): 2001 Rienzi Sicilia IGT
Itwdswafo: 2007 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon One Point Five
cheron98: 2003 Dry Creek Vineyard Petite Sirah DCV9 Estate
mother: 2005 Paolo Manzone Barolo Serralunga (Nebbiolo)
Cesare: 2006 Bodegas El Nido Jumilla Clio (Cabernet-Mourvedre Blend)
Cesare+1: 2004 Joh. Bapt. Schäfer Dorsheimer Goldloch Riesling Spätlese
sukeiasa: 2006 Castelgiocondo (Marchesi de' Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino
sukeiasa (extra): 2007 Moon Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Reserve (magnum)

COFFEE
Keuka Lake Coffee Roasters Natural Brazil

ATTENDEES:
1. mikegberg
2. mikegberg+1
3. HitAnyKey42
4. cheron98
5. iByron
6. iByron+1
7. ratnikov
8. ratnikov +1
9. mother
10. Itwdswafo
11. Itwdswafo+1
12. sukeiasa
13. Cesare
14. kttest

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Thief!! Stealing the lead post for the NYC tastings..... j/k
I had been thinking about starting the thread for awhile now, but keep forgetting.
Just make sure you edit it using a similar format that myself & Cesare do all the time.
See some of these as examples:
Wine.Woot Gatherings Thread

And as things get more narrowed down, edit the title of the thread with the date/theme as well.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mikegberg

I can always change the title of this thread to bury it, and you can start the real thread.

Otherwise, I'll be sure to update it. I'm always here.

HitAnyKey42

mikegberg wrote:I can always change the title of this thread to bury it, and you can start the real thread.

Otherwise, I'll be sure to update it. I'm always here.

Nah, you can take a turn. I was just busting your chops for the fun of it.

Now, depending on month & weekend, you can add me to the list. Though personally I would prefer somewhere closer than Westchester (since my drive there, according to google maps is over 80 miles) so that could also be a deciding factor on whether I can make it.
I have a lot of busy weekends in the coming months, so I'll wait until at least a few more people get in on discussing dates before I chime in with my thoughts. But for now you can put me down as attending...as it'd be a shame for me to finally miss my first NYC tasting.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Soooo... we'll see. Pick a date and I'll see if I can make it Unlikely, before like April, for me to be able to, but we'll see.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

fcherena

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fcherena
mikegberg wrote:I just gave up a coveting spot on rpm's tour. I need consoling.

Proposed theme: Cool stuff mikegberg is going to miss on the tour.

Proposed host: mikegberg (westchester)? someone more centrally located?

Depending on the date, I'd be interested as well with likely +1. Never done one of these before... also considering doing RPM tour...

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
mikegberg wrote:

Proposed theme: Cool stuff mikegberg is going to miss on the tour.

I could be into a Napa theme... but to do it right, we should bring $$$ wines and not junk.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
beefytaco wrote:I could be into a Napa theme... but to do it right, we should bring $$$ wines and not junk.

My brain initially read this as 'could be into a nap theme'... it might be all the mattresses today around woot.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

If it's past April, and not in the month of July, count me in.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

I think a "Black Tie" theme would be great! Just give me enough notice. I've got something special that I'll never open by myself. It's just waiting for something like this.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa
iByron wrote:I think a "Black Tie" theme would be great! Just give me enough notice. I've got something special that I'll never open by myself. It's just waiting for something like this.

iByron

really? or you mean you would have to open it a day in advance to make sure it's drinkable at the gathering?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mikegberg

I just updated the first post to reflect the discussion.

I had a thought, although as a relative newcomer maybe I shouldn't be thinking like this, but I noticed that rpm has attended NY gatherings in the past. He's also hinted at living in or near Westchester County:

rpm wrote:If convenience were my only criteria, I'd fly out of White Plains most of the time.

Now, rpm, I know you'll have your plate full scheduling the tour and all, but I wonder what it would take to make it worth your while to lend your expertise to our modest East Coast tasting.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
mikegberg wrote:I just updated the first post to reflect the discussion.

I had a thought, although as a relative newcomer maybe I shouldn't be thinking like this, but I noticed that rpm has attended NY gatherings in the past. He's also hinted at living in or near Westchester County:

Now, rpm, I know you'll have your plate full scheduling the tour and all, but I wonder what it would take to make it worth your while to lend your expertise to our modest East Coast tasting.

He lives slightly east of Westchester. It probably has more to do with picking a convenient time/location, as well as an interesting wine selection.

I haven't NY tasted in ages. Would love to join if the stars align properly. It's been far too long.

signed.

mikegberg

I know a couple of people are looking at April or later, but Passover rules us out of the first two weekends in April. I imagine an all-Kosher event would be pretty boring, and certainly not black-tie worthy.

canonizer

mikegberg wrote:I know a couple of people are looking at April or later, but Passover rules us out of the first two weekends in April. I imagine an all-Kosher event would be pretty boring, and certainly not black-tie worthy.

Are you otherwise kosher/do you drink kosher wine on passover? I never understood this tradition. It seems like a marketing ploy. Or do you mean just no bread for palate cleansing?

signed.

cheron98

mikegberg wrote:I know a couple of people are looking at April or later, but Passover rules us out of the first two weekends in April. I imagine an all-Kosher event would be pretty boring, and certainly not black-tie worthy.

I don't know, a Kosher tasting could actually be interesting, if not all "black-tie". I've had a few Kosher wines that were just ridiculously good. Loweeel/PetiteSirah would also have invaluable insight into excellent Kosher wines.

I wonder, is the Munch Sea Horse PS Kosher? That is certainly black-tie worthy...

cheron98

canonizer wrote:Are you otherwise kosher/do you drink kosher wine on passover? I never understood this tradition. It seems like a marketing ploy. Or do you mean just no bread for palate cleansing?

Nah, it's actually Biblical-based, or at least the origins of keeping Kosher are. And it's certainly more than just "no yeast" (I say no yeast, not no bread, because you can have unleavaned (yeast-free, flat, cracker-like) bread). Palate cleansing would certainly be taken care of by Mazza bread. And mmm, mmm, lamb.

If I were more of a Bible scholar, I would direct you to the passages that discuss what foods are forbidden (I know shellfish is in there, and pork, and you can't mix meat and dairy - cheeseburgers are like the ultimate sin food). But I can't pull it off the top of my head, I want to say it's in Leviticus, though.

How's that for a Gentile Christian?

Edit: Whoa, it is Leviticus. Chapter 11. That was cool, I just love when I'm told where something is in the Bible.

Edit 2: That being said, having been given the opportunity here to witness a little if you'll allow (if not, stop reading, just move on), with Jesus' death on the cross, He fulfilled the Old Testament law. The restrictions were given by God originally to set Israel apart from other nations, but with the law fulfilled and God's salvation being made available to all (Jew and Gentile), the restrictions no longer apply. Which is why under the New Testament, we may consume all these foods, and keeping Kosher is no longer required. But, when we are in the presence of those who do keep Kosher, it is expected that we will respect that and also keep Kosher with them. So I always like to know when my Jewish friends keep Kosher, especially if we eat out somewhere, so I don't disrespect them.

mikegberg

canonizer wrote:Are you otherwise kosher/do you drink kosher wine on passover? I never understood this tradition. It seems like a marketing ploy. Or do you mean just no bread for palate cleansing?

I keep fully kosher during Passover only, which means I will only drink kosher wine then. I do not require my wine to be kosher throughout the year. I don't fully understand it either, but it's my family's tradition, so I continue it.

However, a more practical reason why it wouldn't work for us is that the first Saturday is a seder and the second Saturday is the last night, when we typically celebrate the end of the holiday with a family meal (where much bread is served).

We also keep a kosher home, but we get around that by restricting our non-kosher food consumption to disposable plates and utensils.

It's a difficult balance trying to maintain a sense of cultural identity in a world which, in my opinion, has exceeded the usefulness of organized religion.*

*opinion not meant to be inflammatory

cheron98

mikegberg wrote:I keep fully kosher during Passover only, which means I will only drink kosher wine then. I do not require my wine to be kosher throughout the year. I don't fully understand it either, but it's my family's tradition, so I continue it.

You should do some research into it. Start with Leviticus It's nice to know WHY we do certain things.

Kind of like Lent. I don't understand Lent. Or rather, I understand the original intent of Lent and what it is supposed to be for, but there are so many (most, in fact) who do it for the sake of doing it, because "they're supposed to, because that's what the Priest said I should do", and they don't get the WHY, and thus there is no real meaning to it. They don't understand the concept of the sacrifice it is supposed to represent, or the fact that what they are giving up is supposed to be replaced by a time of prayer and meditation and/or Bible study. They just stop drinking Coke for a month (for example) and say they have fulfilled their obligations. It should never be an obligation. But I digress...

mikegberg

cheron98 wrote:You should do some research into it. Start with Leviticus It's nice to know WHY we do certain things.

Sorry if I misspoke. I am fully versed in the scripture behind the tradition, I just don't know why we choose to follow some parts strictly but not others. Convenience, I guess.

cheron98

mikegberg wrote:Sorry if I misspoke. I am fully versed in the scripture behind the tradition, I just don't know why we choose to follow some parts strictly but not others. Convenience, I guess.

Ahh, good, this makes me happy. The being versed, part, I mean. Seems most people these days have more of a "pick-and-choose" form of religion (I am not excluding myself from this, and I don't even know why I am like that. Human nature, perhaps).

mikegberg

I think we're getting slightly off-topic. Mods, care to move this part of the discussion to its own thread?

cheron98

mikegberg wrote:I think we're getting slightly off-topic. Mods, care to move this part of the discussion to its own thread?

We can always go back and edit our own posts to pull it out Why put the onus on the mods? We can moderate ourselves. Don't think it needs a whole new thread though. But if you do, feel free to start one. I personally, was done with the "But I digress" comment. Nothing more to say on the matter.

mikegberg

cheron98 wrote:We can always go back and edit our own posts to pull it out Why put the onus on the mods? We can moderate ourselves. Don't think it needs a whole new thread though. But if you do, feel free to start one. I personally, was done with the "But I digress" comment. Nothing more to say on the matter.

Now why'd you go and do that? I enjoyed the discussion, I just thought it might scare away those who came to, you know, taste wine.

cheron98

mikegberg wrote:Now why'd you go and do that? I enjoyed the discussion, I just thought it might scare away those who came to, you know, taste wine.

I still have it, I can put it back You want me to put it back? Make up your mind, man!

HitAnyKey42

Personally, I'd prefer to do a Black-Tie tasting when my dearest cheron98 is out this way and is able to join us. (but we have no idea when that might be)
If we do the tasting up in Westchester, that's quite a hike for me. Hopefully whatever night gets chosen there is someone else form LI who I can drive to, with whom I can then carpool with.

But in any case, as long as it's a weekend that I'm available, you can count me in. I do like the Napa (or anywhere) Black-Tie theme. Though not sure how easy it would be for iByron to make it up to Westchester from Philly....and if he has a "special" bottle he'd want to come for, then I suggest we find a host at a location that's more feasible for him.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

mikegberg

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Though not sure how easy it would be for iByron to make it up to Westchester from Philly....and if he has a "special" bottle he'd want to come for, then I suggest we find a host at a location that's more feasible for him.

I can't speak for him, but I would think that if he can make it to Brooklyn, he can make it to Westchester. We're not that far out in the sticks, ya know. On a good traffic day, I'm 15 minutes from the GWB.

Edited to add: For HAK, we're 4 minutes further away than ratnikov's place. For iByron, 12 minutes. That's driving time based on Google maps. We're also right near a Metro-North/Amtrak stop, and within cab distance of several NYC subway terminals.

Anyway, I haven't even been cleared to host just yet. Kids and all.

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

I'll be in NYC a couple times over the next few months. I'll keep track of the thread and hopefully things will align. Most likely time for me to be there is early/mid March for my nephew's bris. Obviously don't plan around me since I'll only have 8 days' notice

I'll also be there Feb 5-8, maybe time to meet up with a couple people in Manhattan if business allows.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

I'll be up in the Poughkeepsie area, so the further north the better Though getting into the city means only an hour train ride to Grand Central.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

I live in NYC, so name the date/time, I'll be there.

Side note: Try to schedule around any major east coast snow storms, I'm in desperate need of some good ski weeks/weekends this winter.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609
cheron98 wrote:cheeseburgers are like the ultimate sin food).

Bacon cheeseburgers, with shrimp.

I've never tried it myself, but Covenant makes a kosher cab with a black-tie price tag.

canonizer

cheron98 wrote:Nah, it's actually Biblical-based, or at least the origins of keeping Kosher are. And it's certainly more than just "no yeast" (I say no yeast, not no bread, because you can have unleavaned (yeast-free, flat, cracker-like) bread). Palate cleansing would certainly be taken care of by Mazza bread. And mmm, mmm, lamb.

If I were more of a Bible scholar, I would direct you to the passages that discuss what foods are forbidden (I know shellfish is in there, and pork, and you can't mix meat and dairy - cheeseburgers are like the ultimate sin food). But I can't pull it off the top of my head, I want to say it's in Leviticus, though.

How's that for a Gentile Christian?

Edit: Whoa, it is Leviticus. Chapter 11. That was cool, I just love when I'm told where something is in the Bible.

Edit 2: That being said, having been given the opportunity here to witness a little if you'll allow (if not, stop reading, just move on), with Jesus' death on the cross, He fulfilled the Old Testament law. The restrictions were given by God originally to set Israel apart from other nations, but with the law fulfilled and God's salvation being made available to all (Jew and Gentile), the restrictions no longer apply. Which is why under the New Testament, we may consume all these foods, and keeping Kosher is no longer required. But, when we are in the presence of those who do keep Kosher, it is expected that we will respect that and also keep Kosher with them. So I always like to know when my Jewish friends keep Kosher, especially if we eat out somewhere, so I don't disrespect them.

Mike basically answered my question. I'm jewish, don't keep kosher during the year and never understood keeping kosher during passover. Other people seem to do so by tradition rather than religious mandate. I personally think Kosher wine is a teensy tiny marketing sham.

Also, if you want to do some more research/see some crazy sh*t, look up what makes wine kosher.

signed.

canonizer

cheron98 wrote:We can always go back and edit our own posts to pull it out Why put the onus on the mods? We can moderate ourselves. Don't think it needs a whole new thread though. But if you do, feel free to start one. I personally, was done with the "But I digress" comment. Nothing more to say on the matter.

Also, unless things escalate/become inflammatory, the mods probably aren't going to do much in threads like these (or even read them)!

signed.

canonizer

mschauber wrote:I live in NYC, so name the date/time, I'll be there.

Side note: Try to schedule around any major east coast snow storms, I'm in desperate need of some good ski weeks/weekends this winter.

Holler, are you on TGR? I hear ya re: skiing.

signed.

iByron

sukeiasa wrote:really? or you mean you would have to open it a day in advance to make sure it's drinkable at the gathering?

Nah, nothing like that. I live in Philadelphia and the bottle in question is in Virginia. I'd need significant notice to 1) retrieve the bottle and 2) plan for a NY trip including overnight housing with friends.

Besides, we're notorious for not decanting things when we should (though with a Black Tie event, I think we'd be better).

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

mikegberg wrote:I can't speak for him, but I would think that if he can make it to Brooklyn, he can make it to Westchester. We're not that far out in the sticks, ya know. On a good traffic day, I'm 15 minutes from the GWB.

Edited to add: For HAK, we're 4 minutes further away than ratnikov's place. For iByron, 12 minutes. That's driving time based on Google maps. We're also right near a Metro-North/Amtrak stop, and within cab distance of several NYC subway terminals.

Anyway, I haven't even been cleared to host just yet. Kids and all.

As a general rule, I don't drive to NYC. This is a personal choice made for both my sanity -- driving in and around NYC really stresses me out -- and my desire to keep my 1992 Mercury Sable until she's beyond death. I plan to drive that car until she falls apart in a trail of scrap metal, rubber, and upholstery that leads to me sitting in a backless seat holding a steering wheel. I'd rather that happen close to home, so lengthy drives, especially to places I'm unfamiliar with, are out of the question.

That said, we shouldn't plan these around one person (unless that person has some special connection to the host...or is the host). They should be held where there's a willing host with room for those who can attend.

My 1991 Corison magnum (one of Cathy's self-reported favorite vintages) can wait. ;)

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
canonizer wrote:Also, unless things escalate/become inflammatory, the mods probably aren't going to do much in threads like these (or even read them)!

I'm just hanging out, really.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
iByron wrote:... I plan to drive that car until she falls apart in a trail of scrap metal, rubber, and upholstery that leads to me sitting in a backless seat holding a steering wheel.

I'd love to see pictures of that...

My 1991 Corison magnum (one of Cathy's self-reported favorite vintages) can wait.

NOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!

ejcory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ejcory

So I don't want to speak out of turn, but Byron seems to be one of those guys that we should plan around.

While I imagine that we'll have quite a bit of Corison for this event, my mag of Cathy's 94 could make an appearance if Byron can't make it (or if we wanted to go side-by-side).

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

whoops -
I've got to remember to login to the anonymous account...

What the guy above me said!

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.