cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

X-posted from an old thread of ours...

Alaska1 wrote:Hello everyone. I know it has been a while, new baby, new job, new town and new year but I would like to start a new thread. My wife and I would like to host a NoVA/DC Woot tasting. I am not 100% Sure of when yet, but we could start thinking of a "theme". I do live in an apartment and in Leesburg so I know it will be hard for some to get here, which might be ok because I think we have room for about 10-12. so first come first serve. LOL
Let me know what you guys think.

Alaska1

So, Alaska1... We pick up your gauntlet.

I think it's a great idea. Now -- when?

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1
cjsiege wrote:X-posted from an old thread of ours...

So, Alaska1... We pick up your gauntlet.

I think it's a great idea. Now -- when?

How about April or May?

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
Alaska1 wrote:How about April or May?

April would be good. I may try have one at my place towards the end of May or early June as my landscaping should hopefully be done by then.

CT

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609
hershelk wrote:April would be good. I may try have one at my place towards the end of May or early June as my landscaping should hopefully be done by then.

The next question is the what. IIRC, at the last gathering I suggested a bubbly theme for the next one. There seemed to be some interest.

cjsiege

mstein609 wrote:The next question is the what. IIRC, at the last gathering I suggested a bubbly theme for the next one. There seemed to be some interest.

Bubbly for the Baby Shower or bubbly for the End of Spring festivites?

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

In April 2012,
Easter falls on the 8Th, and
Tax Day falls on the 16Th.
To avoid those events, we are left with the 21st, or 28Th. I can attend on those weekends.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Given a 'bubbly' theme, or not - what about doing another Black Tie event?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

mstein609

tripgrad wrote:In April 2012,
Easter falls on the 8Th, and
Tax Day falls on the 16Th.
To avoid those events, we are left with the 21st, or 28Th. I can attend on those weekends.

I can't do the 28th.

cjsiege

wkdpanda wrote:Given a 'bubbly' theme, or not - what about doing another Black Tie event?

But if we're at Alaska1's place, they have the baby. Baby + Black Tie = baby-barf on your black tie.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
cjsiege wrote:But if we're at Alaska1's place, they have the baby. Baby + Black Tie = baby-barf on your black tie.

So true. SO! That just means we have an excuse for planning the NEXT one already!!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

hershelk

Alaska, any thoughts on date yet?

CT

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Sometime in March would work for me. Depending on lead time.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

CrazedWhy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CrazedWhy

Wow, another wine wooter in Leesburg! Call me interested, I'll be following this thread for updates

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

sorry for the hijack,
but this probably reaches my intended audience...

anyone knows of any commercial wine storage places around dc? i guess most VA/MD houses would be large enough or have a basement to store wine, but it's really tough keeping a hundred bottles in a tiny apartment...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

iByron

So New York is now on the 21st of April, so that's out for me (and anyone else who might be traveling up the coast.

What say y'all?

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

mstein609

sukeiasa wrote:

anyone knows of any commercial wine storage places around dc? i guess most VA/MD houses would be large enough or have a basement to store wine, but it's really tough keeping a hundred bottles in a tiny apartment...

http://www.wilkinsonwinecellar.com/winestorage.aspx

http://www.dcwinestorage.com/

http://www.domainewinestorage.com/locations/dc/

cjsiege

Paging Alaska1! Paging Alaska1!

iByron

I'm likely down there the 24th of March. Anyone able to pull together a quick one that weekend?

If not, how about we just hit a wine bar or something?

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

This is just a bump to keep it up near the top.

Would be better if this were an actual date. Just sayin'...

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

Bump

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

iByron wrote:I'm likely down there the 24th of March. Anyone able to pull together a quick one that weekend?

If not, how about we just hit a wine bar or something?

iByron

Wine bar may be more do-able for that weekend. Assuming that I'm back in town. (Work is starting to get interesting again...)

If Alaska1 doesn't chime back in soon, would anyone else be willing to host a little something-something in April? I live too far out for anyone except IS to be willing to come to my place.

tewkewl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tewkewl

where do you live? i'm in MD so if it's too far, i probably won't be able to make it. but i'd like to try and come if it's not too far.

hershelk

I am busy the night of March 24th, but if you want to hit a wine bar late afternoon, I may be up for it.

April and May are a little tough for me to host. I am traveling a lot with a varying schedule. However, I would like to host something in June. The landscaping/pool will be done by then (they say late March or early April), so it can be a Wine & Pool Barbeque. Theme could be Summer Wines or Pool Sippin' wines. I am looking to aim for the 9th or 16th of June.

CJ, if you were interested in hosting an earlier one, you could aim for a little earlier in the day. If I'm around, I would make the trip. You have often enough.

CT

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

Hubby and I really enjoyed the last one, however I'm out of the wine-drinking gig until August or so due to growing a human parasite...

hershelk

amreli wrote:Hubby and I really enjoyed the last one, however I'm out of the wine-drinking gig until August or so due to growing a human parasite...

Congratulations. We will look forward to your return to wine as I'm sure you will.

CT

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

Sorry Guys. Would would really like to host but with the very limited about of time left before we move back to Alaska (Three weeks) with work and packing, I just don't see how we can squeeze it in. :-( I will talk it over with my wife, We were talking about trying to get a "co party" with Amber, we will be in Springfield where she lives right before we leave. I will try and see if she would be willing to host. She has a small one bedroom apartment. Also the time is just flying............ :-(

If she is game it would be April 7th.

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I will be out of town that weekend so I can't host. Sorry. Also, I may not be able to attend any event between now and the end of that weekend. Too many babies are being born in my family.

CT

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
hershelk wrote:Congratulations. We will look forward to your return to wine as I'm sure you will.

Thanks! And yes, definitely looking forward to the comeback...

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

ahh-ahhh-ahhh-chooooo!!!

look at that.. back to the front page!

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda

Did you all see this ....

from the Pedroncelli mixed case offer (in response to a comment by Sukeiasa about pulling together a DC gathering)

Julie (Pedroncelli) and I are going to be in DC the week of 8/10 for a tasting at the Smithsonian. An old family photo is going to be part of an exhibit beginning then. sing up for our enews so we can keep you posted. I'd also be happy to come pour our wines if someone wants to head this up!

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

hershelk

Well, we haven't been able to come up with a date before, so I propose I can host the next one on June 16th or 17th (Saturday or Sunday). The pool and patio will be complete, so I suggest making it somewhat of a pool party starting early like 3 or so in the afternoon, with a theme related to summer and sun. How does that work with everyone? Which day is better. I figure with an early start, Sunday may not be bad either.

CT

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

Either day works for me. It has been way too long since I have seen Hershel's wine cellar, I mean seen everyone. :-)

CT

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

sounds good to me too...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mstein609

hershelk wrote:Well, we haven't been able to come up with a date before, so I propose I can host the next one on June 16th or 17th (Saturday or Sunday). The pool and patio will be complete, so I suggest making it somewhat of a pool party starting early like 3 or so in the afternoon, with a theme related to summer and sun. How does that work with everyone? Which day is better. I figure with an early start, Sunday may not be bad either.

Sunday is probably the safer day for me, but I can probably do either. I'm playing a Gilbert & Sullivan production that weekend, but we have three 'cellists and only need two for any given performance. Sunday is a matinee, so if I have to play that day I can still come by around 6.

iByron

hershelk wrote:Well, we haven't been able to come up with a date before, so I propose I can host the next one on June 16th or 17th (Saturday or Sunday). The pool and patio will be complete, so I suggest making it somewhat of a pool party starting early like 3 or so in the afternoon, with a theme related to summer and sun. How does that work with everyone? Which day is better. I figure with an early start, Sunday may not be bad either.

Right now that weekend looks good. I'll pencil it in. [People since we have a host offering, we should set this one in stone]

Saturday's are generally better for me -- I usually head back to PA on Sunday -- but if Sunday ends up being the day, I'll see what can be done. It's definitely been a while...I've been to two NY events since the last full-fledged NoVA/DC one.

As for the theme, how about:

Summer reds. Some're not.

Anything good for the summer. Light reds. Crisp whites. Cool bubbly. And of course, ROSÉ!!

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I'll be out in DC for a conference 9/8-9/12 and would love to put a face to some names, if anyone is available then to meet. Will be staying down town DC, close to the Walter E Washington Convention Center. : )

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
otolith wrote:I'll be out in DC for a conference 9/8-9/12 and would love to put a face to some names, if anyone is available then to meet. Will be staying down town DC, close to the Walter E Washington Convention Center. : )

How lovely - I work quite close to there. In anticipation of your arrival, over the next few months I promise to devote my energies to conducting research on drinking establishments in the area. I mean really...it's the least I can do. :-)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kkv123 wrote:How lovely - I work quite close to there. In anticipation of your arrival, over the next few months I promise to devote my energies to conducting research on drinking establishments in the area. I mean really...it's the least I can do. :-)

Thanks for making the sacrifice, I expect a full report. : )

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

iByron

Let's do Saurday 16-Jun 3pm

CJ, can you update the top post?

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

hershelk

Sounds like a plan. Haven't heard from CJ in a while. If we don't see an update in a couple of days, I'll create a new forum.

CT