1 Aldo's Blend 16oz Bag
1 Bell's Blend 16oz Bag

Product website

Previous offer:
8/18/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

zombiekicker

quality posts: 10 Private Messages zombiekicker

I'm assuming (hoping) that this can ship to the bass-ackwards "dry" states...

rmanz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rmanz

Would these beans make good espresso (once ground correctly, that is)?

bacalum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bacalum

Got this in August. The box smelled great, but the coffees I've tried were underwhelming.

Aldo's: meh. Definitely nothing special, a bit less than average.

Bell's: ok; a bit better than average.

I was so disappointed I haven't bothered to try the other two.

Disclosure: I'm partial to dark, full-body roasts.

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.

nyisless13

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nyisless13

Is this in honor of At The Drive-In's reunion?

"I must have read a thousand faces..."

havocsback

quality posts: 4 Private Messages havocsback

Hate to be "one of THOSE people", but....
I don't care what quasi-exotic mammmal has devoured this, only to jettison it into another's cup later, $10 per pound for coffee is just ridiculous, and this is a deal?
Thanks, no.

phidan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phidan

As much as I love great coffee, I doubt this compares to what I get from Kaldi's in St louis.

nmpls

quality posts: 22 Private Messages nmpls

4 lbs of coffee is going to be a lot to drink before it gets stale.
When was this stuff roasted, or better yet, when will it be roasted?

zombiekicker

rmanz wrote:Would these beans make good espresso (once ground correctly, that is)?

The descriptions indicate that these probably aren't an espresso roast. These lighter roasts are meant to bring out the beans' subtle flavors unique to their respective regions, as opposed to a much darker espresso roast, which tastes more like the roast itself. Those subtle/unique flavors would be lost in an espresso machine.

nmpls

havocsback wrote:Hate to be "one of THOSE people", but....
I don't care what quasi-exotic mammmal has devoured this, only to jettison it into another's cup later, $10 per pound for coffee is just ridiculous, and this is a deal?
Thanks, no.

You are one of those people. Good coffee has a complexity and subtlety that rivals wine. A good Kenyan or Ethiopian compared to Potty Emergency at starbucks is like a 1982 Lafite-Rothschild to some Thunderbird.

Is this worth $10/lb? I have no clue. I'm not a huge fan of blends or Brazilian coffee.

jmatthews

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jmatthews

Your resident snobby home-roaster here...

I can't comment on the quality of this company or their roasts, but I wanted to chime and mention that coffee from the Carmen Estate is known in the coffee community as one of the best there is! It places in the top 5 of Panama coffees year after year. I absolutely recommend it.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
zombiekicker wrote:The descriptions indicate that these probably aren't an espresso roast. These lighter roasts are meant to bring out the beans' subtle flavors unique to their respective regions, as opposed to a much darker espresso roast, which tastes more like the roast itself. Those subtle/unique flavors would be lost in an espresso machine.

You can make espresso with lighter roasts as well as dark roasts IMO. And I do not agree that more subtle flavors get lost in an espresso machine. I think an espresso machine, properly used, will bring out more flavor than other methods of brewing.

fmp031000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fmp031000

I did not know you can get wine from coffee beans...They must be magic beans...$45 for four pounds of magic beans seems like a good deal...

nlidgard

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nlidgard

I got this last time it was up. I really enjoyed their coffee. They are a lighter roast than many people are used to, so if Starbucks is your idea of good coffee, this might taste funny to you. But you'll get more flavor from the coffee.

And as for whether this is a deal, the way coffee prices are going these days, $10/pound for fresh-roasted coffee is a great deal. I spent $19 for a 12 oz bag from Intelligensia a couple weeks ago. This really just hinges on whether you can use 4 pounds while they are fresh.

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu

Cool! I love sampling different coffees. Almost as much as sampling different wines. Isn't that the whole point of wine.woot, anyway?

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

When were these roasted?

4 pounds of coffee is going to last us 5-7 weeks. I definitely notice a difference in the quality of my beans at around 3 weeks from roasting.

FWIW, I generally prefer the lighter roasted beans to the darker. I think the darker roasts are more forgiving to freshness...to a degree.

loreelu

nlidgard wrote: They are a lighter roast than many people are used to, so if Starbucks is your idea of good coffee, this might taste funny to you. But you'll get more flavor from the coffee.

I agree... I have discovered that if you get a "good" light roast, it has great flavor. I used to think that the darker it was, the better it was. Lighter roasts also make great iced coffee.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

Oh, it's ridiculous, is it? Any decent coffee in Vermont you'll find is $10 a pound on SALE. I say decent, because Green Mountain Coffee Roasters coffee is pretty much baseline, and GMCR coffee is pretty good. Last time I got acceptable, normal 'merican drip machine quality coffee, it tasted like Potty Emergency unless I used twice as much. This was the 8 o Clock brand, and it smelled great, seemed fresh ... but it just was not.

I should also say that I brew with an AeroPress or French press. I do not own, nor will I ever again buy a drip machine for the good coffee I so crave. I should also point out that one can buy really good coffee at CostCo for about 7 - 10 dollars a pound, but that's about as good as you're going to get in VT.

I used to drink Folgers out of a Mr. Coffee drip. I never enjoyed coffee without cream and sugar in those days. Now, when I brew it, I don't add cream or sugar, or anything, because that takes away from the complexity that makes every cup an adventure.

If you could recommend some good coffee for a reasonable price, I will listen.

nmpls

loreelu wrote:I agree... I have discovered that if you get a "good" light roast, it has great flavor. I used to think that the darker it was, the better it was. Lighter roasts also make great iced coffee.

Yeah. Dark roasts (ie Starbacks) taste like burnt crap. Light roasts on good beans have some amazing depth of flavor.

honkywill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages honkywill
nyisless13 wrote:Is this in honor of At The Drive-In's reunion?

"I must have read a thousand faces..."

I logged in just to commend this.

zombiekicker

speedoo wrote:You can make espresso with lighter roasts as well as dark roasts IMO. And I do not agree that more subtle flavors get lost in an espresso machine. I think an espresso machine, properly used, will bring out more flavor than other methods of brewing.

25-30 seconds isn't very long to extract those subtle flavors (and probably why espresso blends are typically darker), but if you have the skills and equipment to make it work with a lighter roast, power to ya! The fact is, someone who would pose a question like that probably doesn't have the machina/skills needed for this particular task (much like myself).

Don't get me wrong, I do like espresso, but I gave up on trying to make my own after realizing the investment that would be required to make it properly...

killme

quality posts: 3 Private Messages killme

I bought this brand in September. I separated the beans into weekly portions and placed them in individual ziplock sandwich bags, stuck those in the original coffee bags, then stuck those in bigger ziplock bags and placed them all in the freezer. You CAN freeze beans. I pull one of the small bags out out every week or two and it still tastes great.

llamabox

quality posts: 36 Private Messages llamabox
havocsback wrote:Hate to be "one of THOSE people", but....
Thanks, no.

$10/lb for good coffee IS a deal.

Go back to drinking your $4 grocery store brand coffee...

Make your own damn beer

kmaglione

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kmaglione

These would be great... if they were shipped individually every two weeks or so. There's no way I could get through 4 pounds of coffee before they went stale, especially if they're actually packaged as they are in the picture.

As to espresso, 25 seconds is more than enough time to extract the subtle flavors of the bean, given the pressure and the fineness of the grind. Espresso is generally dark roasted as a matter of custom. In Northern Italy and particular houses and communities, lighter roasts are the norm. They don't require especially more skill than dark roasts.

loreelu

I've read that the best part of the flavor of coffee comes from the oils, but when I got this coffee before, I noticed that they don't have that oily film on them like some beans do. I prefer the non-oily beans better-- but mostly because they don't clog up the grinder. Does anyone know the truth about the oils, and is it really necessary to have greasy beans in order to get a fuller flavor? Or is that just a myth perpetuated by the coffee snobs?

speedoo

zombiekicker wrote:25-30 seconds isn't very long to extract those subtle flavors (and probably why espresso blends are typically darker), but if you have the skills and equipment to make it work with a lighter roast, power to ya! The fact is, someone who would pose a question like that probably doesn't have the machina/skills needed for this particular task (much like myself).

Don't get me wrong, I do like espresso, but I gave up on trying to make my own after realizing the investment that would be required to make it properly...

You have to understand what an espresso machine does. It takes nearly boiling water and forces it through finely ground coffee beans at very high pressure. This results in a very concentrated and small amount of brewed coffee with more of a syrupy consistency and the highly desirable crema. Overall, espresso brewing, properly done, will produce more flavor for a given coffee than other brewing methods.

Wiki is pretty accurate IMO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso

speedoo

killme wrote:I bought this brand in September. I separated the beans into weekly portions and placed them in individual ziplock sandwich bags, stuck those in the original coffee bags, then stuck those in bigger ziplock bags and placed them all in the freezer. You CAN freeze beans. I pull one of the small bags out out every week or two and it still tastes great.

Sounds good... I may try that!

nlidgard

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nlidgard
loreelu wrote:I've read that the best part of the flavor of coffee comes from the oils, but when I got this coffee before, I noticed that they don't have that oily film on them like some beans do. I prefer the non-oily beans better-- but mostly because they don't clog up the grinder. Does anyone know the truth about the oils, and is it really necessary to have greasy beans in order to get a fuller flavor? Or is that just a myth perpetuated by the coffee snobs?

The greasy beans are dark-roasted beans. Lighter roasted beans still have oils and actually have more flavor. If you brew these in a french press or espresso machine you'll know they have oils.

prosperouscheat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages prosperouscheat

I picked up the 4 pack last time - Aldo’s Blend, Bell’s Blend, Finca El Injerto, and Finca Herbazu.
Not being a fan of dark roasts, Aldo's was the one we liked least but it's still really good. We couldn't get enough of the Bell's so I may pick up one of these to get some more of that and to try out the 2 different ones.

zombiekicker

kmaglione wrote:As to espresso, 25 seconds is more than enough time to extract the subtle flavors of the bean, given the pressure and the fineness of the grind. Espresso is generally dark roasted as a matter of custom. In Northern Italy and particular houses and communities, lighter roasts are the norm. They don't require especially more skill than dark roasts.

Ah, ok. Admittedly I've never had nor made a lighter roasted espresso. Thank you for the info.

speedoo wrote:You have to understand what an espresso machine does. It takes nearly boiling water and forces it through finely ground coffee beans at very high pressure. This results in a very concentrated and small amount of brewed coffee with more of a syrupy consistency and the highly desirable crema. Overall, espresso brewing, properly done, will produce more flavor for a given coffee than other brewing methods.

Wiki is pretty accurate IMO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso

Indeed, I am aware of how espresso is made, as well as the mechanics behind it, just obviously not the chemistry/extraction physics. My (apparently wrong) presumption was that 30 seconds is not long enough to extract those lighter, more subtle flavors.

In for 1 regardless, Central/South American coffee is good stuff.

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
llamabox wrote:$10/lb for good coffee IS a deal.

Well said. Cheap crap is cheap for good reasons. And he might not notice that Kopi Luwak (the one he talked about from the mammals) is over $160/lb.

$10/lb for good quality coffee is a steal.

I bought these last time it was offered. The Aldo was wonderful with the espresso machine, and the Bell's light roast had a great fragrance with the French Press (and cold brewing, too, it almost smelled sweet).

I used the Aldo blend as recommended by 1000 Faces' response last time, and the recommendation was accurate.

And I can also confirm that freezing works.

btflorey

quality posts: 9 Private Messages btflorey
llamabox wrote:$10/lb for good coffee IS a deal.

I don't know where you live but here in the Bay area of Cali, the grocery store brand is $10/lb so definitely a deal for me!

TehCaspia

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TehCaspia
killme wrote:I bought this brand in September. I separated the beans into weekly portions and placed them in individual ziplock sandwich bags, stuck those in the original coffee bags, then stuck those in bigger ziplock bags and placed them all in the freezer. You CAN freeze beans. I pull one of the small bags out out every week or two and it still tastes great.

Freeze beans??? Only if you want to RUIN them! PLEASE stop this old wives tale quality advice! The -proper- way to store coffee beans or grounds is in an air tight container. Freezing them only dehydrates them and makes them highly susceptible to tasting like the food in your freezer!

woot changed my signature...apparently linking my old blog was "advertising"...never thought I'd see anyone give Obama a run for his money on being the nanny state...

doryg151

quality posts: 2 Private Messages doryg151

I home roast as well.

Its unfortunate when these deals come up I have to stay away from woot. There is as much bad information about coffee in these threads as there is good info about the wines. I just don't have the energy.

I am not speaking about this company or anyone specific just the a lot of the information passed around.

Check out one of the enthusiast sites if you want to learn whats, what. I wouldn't expect great info on restoring a old Chevy here either.

Sorry if that hurt anyone's feelings.

good luck

edit: just remember rule #1 drink what you like who cares what anyone else says!

telymanbws

quality posts: 4 Private Messages telymanbws
nmpls wrote:When was this stuff roasted, or better yet, when will it be roasted?

If the dates hand written on the bags were accurate then the beans from 3 of the bags were roasted the the day they were shipped; the fourth the day before. They were all great. In for more!

I use a French press at home and work. Mill the beans, never grind them. Makes for an even size and (IMHO) tastes better.

There is a saying about those who forget history. I don't remember what it said, but it was good.
-Stephen Colbert

fjp999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999

Love to learn more about coffee... I have too many beans now but fortunately have plenty of those Lock&Lock storage containers (some seem to be made specifically for keeping coffee beans fresh with something about only allowing o.o5 moisture into the container (or something like that)). Then storing those containers in a larger box in a dark cool place and only grinding bean when you are ready to have your coffee.

I just got the AeroPress which I am enjoying a lot more than the French Press and when starting to clean out my parents basement I found a hand crank grinder and finally figured out how to change the grind - pretty cool. They say it is best for paper filters???

Anyways, keep the convo going. Can never learn too much about anything... but never heard about freezing from any source cept here.

Geckotek

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Geckotek

I agree that freezing is a lousy idea. What are your thoughts on vacuum sealing? This is what I did with the Keuka Lake Coffee offering last year.

pfajardo19

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19
nlidgard wrote:I got this last time it was up. I really enjoyed their coffee. They are a lighter roast than many people are used to, so if Starbucks is your idea of good coffee, this might taste funny to you. But you'll get more flavor from the coffee.

And as for whether this is a deal, the way coffee prices are going these days, $10/pound for fresh-roasted coffee is a great deal. I spent $19 for a 12 oz bag from Intelligensia a couple weeks ago. This really just hinges on whether you can use 4 pounds while they are fresh.

Intelligentsia, no.7 on the Best Small Roasters in the US list - great cup of coffee. You know your beans! We're lucky in CA with 5 out of the top 17. That being said, you need to try several types and see what you like. If you've never had coffee from freshly roasted, freshly ground beans, then you haven't had real coffee. Like many of the comments here, the difference is like eating a marbled rib eye and a Salisbury steak - they're both technically meat, but the difference in taste, flavor, etc. is night and day. So if you like your Salisbury steak then more power to you. If you want real coffee, I suggest you find a nice local roaster, buy a pound of their beans, then make your own decision. Like wine, some people like darker, full-bodied roast, while others like more delicately balanced, light roast. One thing I look for in any coffee is that there should not be any bitterness from the moment you do your first pour to when the coffee goes cold. Once you've adjusted your taste buds fresh roasted, freshly ground coffee, drinking something like Dunkin' Donuts or Starchucks will be like drinking battery acid! Your move!!!

come2thedarkside

pfajardo19

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19
pfajardo19 wrote:Intelligentsia, no.7 on the Best Small Roasters in the US list - great cup of coffee. You know your beans! We're lucky in CA with 5 out of the top 17. That being said, you need to try several types and see what you like. If you've never had coffee from freshly roasted, freshly ground beans, then you haven't had real coffee. Like many of the comments here, the difference is like eating a marbled rib eye and a Salisbury steak - they're both technically meat, but the difference in taste, flavor, etc. is night and day. So if you like your Salisbury steak then more power to you. If you want real coffee, I suggest you find a nice local roaster, buy a pound of their beans, then make your own decision. Like wine, some people like darker, full-bodied roast, while others like more delicately balanced, light roast. One thing I look for in any coffee is that there should not be any bitterness from the moment you do your first pour to when the coffee goes cold. Once you've adjusted your taste buds fresh roasted, freshly ground coffee, drinking something like Dunkin' Donuts or Starchucks will be like drinking battery acid! Your move!!!

Maybe I can shed some light on the cost of making coffee. Let's use Kona coffee since the production costs are fairly well documented. 1 lb of roasted Kona coffee requires 7.4 lbs of coffee cherry at $1.25/lb ($9.25) add additional processing costs and the base cost to process is approx $12/lb. Then you need to add storing, milling, sorting, roasting, packaging, labeling and marketing costs and you can see why real Kona coffee cost $30-$45/lb. So if you see Kona coffee for under $30 lb., it has to be a blend. So just like wine, better coffee costs more money. Yields, production and marketing costs are just as relevant to coffee as they are to wine. Salud!

come2thedarkside