CONDITION: Virgin
PRODUCTS:
1 Gli Agrumati Orange EVOO 250 ml
1 Gli Agrumati Lemon EVOO 250 ml

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sonomadragon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sonomadragon

This stuff is delicious! I've used it in professional Italian kitchens for years, and it lends a nice citrus note without the acid.

nmpls

quality posts: 22 Private Messages nmpls

"EVOO"?

Has wine.woot been bought by Rachael Ray?

calebmitchell

quality posts: 64 Private Messages calebmitchell

Flavored olive oils? Interesting. Do the flavors not clash with the olive taste? And how are these flavors achieved? Is this stuff natural or artificial?

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

I loved the Extravagonzo oils, and I'd like to buy more flavored oils, but these are only about a cup each. I'm going to sleep on it, but I think I'd rather hope more Extravagonzo products pass through here.

thaskaman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages thaskaman
calebmitchell wrote:Flavored olive oils? Interesting. Do the flavors not clash with the olive taste? And how are these flavors achieved? Is this stuff natural or artificial?

reading fail

Gli Agrumati Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Under the warm sun of Sicily, fresh olives and moro oranges are crushed together to create this all natural cold-pressed extra virgin gli Agrumati Orange Olive Oil

Gli Agrumati Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Fresh olives and lemons are crushed together to create this all natural cold-pressed extra virgin gli Agrumati Lemon Olive Oil.

calebmitchell

quality posts: 64 Private Messages calebmitchell
thaskaman wrote:reading fail

Gli Agrumati Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Under the warm sun of Sicily, fresh olives and moro oranges are crushed together to create this all natural cold-pressed extra virgin gli Agrumati Orange Olive Oil

Gli Agrumati Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Fresh olives and lemons are crushed together to create this all natural cold-pressed extra virgin gli Agrumati Lemon Olive Oil.

Ah. I must need to get my glasses adjusted. I thought I read everything thoroughly :/

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
editorkid wrote:I loved the Extravagonzo oils, and I'd like to buy more flavored oils, but these are only about a cup each. I'm going to sleep on it, but I think I'd rather hope more Extravagonzo products pass through here.

Ditto, the Extravagonzo oils were delicious and came in 375ml bottles for the same price ($10 each). These also look delicious but I'm not sure about the QPR.

I still have one bottle each of the blood orange and chili infused Extravagonzo so I'm going to pass on this deal but I don't doubt that anyone who buys these will be happy with them.

The orange EVOO would be great with chicken or pork roast and of course the lemon pairs perfectly with freshwater fish such as bass, trout or walleye.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

shaking my head.... (I wonder why Shirley gets the better deal?)

Oh, on a more relevant note.. I'm in for one!

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

frank828

quality posts: 3 Private Messages frank828

apparently there is massive fraud going on in Italian olive oil.

http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/europe/made-in-italy-olive-oil-investigations/23505

the investigations so far found that four out of five bottles of olive oil sold from italy actually contain oil from other countries.

i'm not saying anything specifically about the offering here but it's something to keep in mind.

Fountain3586

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Fountain3586

Orange you going to buy these, RIGHT NOW!?

Drive your lemon on over to that GOLD BUTTON!!

Favorite Woots: The First Years miSwivel Feeding Chair, Kiddy Sport’n Move Stroller, Sacs of Life Insulator 4 Reusable Shopping Bags, Daiwa Golf Bag, Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center, Ooma Telo ViIP Home Phone System, and a Stainless Steel Designer 6 Ounce Flask.

lielay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lielay

I'd just like to know what Italians taste like and how they achieve authentic Italian flavor.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
frank828 wrote:apparently there is massive fraud going on in Italian olive oil.

http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/europe/made-in-italy-olive-oil-investigations/23505

the investigations so far found that four out of five bottles of olive oil sold from italy actually contain oil from other countries.

i'm not saying anything specifically about the offering here but it's something to keep in mind.

Yes it's tough to know the truth here. This story surfaces periodically, and I'm sure oil is being adulterated by the seamier families in southern Italian business. However, there is much Greek and Spanish olive oil which is really good too.. and often cheaper. So, how much of this is hype assuming Italian oil is the only stuff worth using? Seems as if it's overpriced due to branding anyway...

maggiecain

quality posts: 9 Private Messages maggiecain

As I look at my kitchen cupboards full to the brim with bottles, I wonder if I couldn't achieve the same thing by squeezing a lemon on my chicken after rubbing it with olive oil.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
lielay wrote:I'd just like to know what Italians taste like and how they achieve authentic Italian flavor.

And which Italian does it taste like? I am assuming they dont all taste the same.

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

please tell me this is not Rachel Ray approved!

jasowned

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasowned

I've got a FEVOO, and the only prescription is more Asaro Partanna!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

What's the drinking window on this?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

These look delicious. Does anyone know if they are kosher? I've looked up the website (thanks Cesare) and they have absolutely no details about the products on the websites.

redredwine67

quality posts: 14 Private Messages redredwine67
lielay wrote:I'd just like to know what Italians taste like and how they achieve authentic Italian flavor.

I've never tasted one myself. but I hear they taste like chicken.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb

My guess is it's the large production, low profit margin stuff we have to worry about the most. Not something like this. There was another story recently on most EVOO found on grocery store shelves not meeting the expected standard.

This is common with industrial food products that try to pretend to be artisinal. Grocery store wine producers, for example, do all sorts of crap to get their $6 bottle to meet a desired flavor profile. Red Biciclette Pinot was actually Grenache, Carignane and other Mediterranean varietals. Cheap CA varietal wine is adulterated with Mega Purple (concentrate grape cxtract), oak chips or dust, and random blending wines.

If bulk olive oil wasn't adulterated in some way, frankly I'd be amazed. To hit a price point and base-level taste profile, it would make sense to blend cheaper oils into higher grade oils. It costs more to get "real" agricultural products, but that is life. If you guy mass-market grocery store stuff, chances are it is not going to be authentic. I do buy on price often, so I'm not saying that we should all pay Whole Foods prices all the time. (We'd go broke.) But there is definitely a trade-off that we need to recognize.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
North316 wrote:What's the drinking window on this?

I see what you did there.

I'm just hanging out, really.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
maggiecain wrote:As I look at my kitchen cupboards full to the brim with bottles, I wonder if I couldn't achieve the same thing by squeezing a lemon on my chicken after rubbing it with olive oil.

You can easily make your own infused oils customized to your tastes using garlic, herbs, zests and the like. Just make sure that if you use fresh ingredients over dried, you refrigerate the oil afterwards to avoid botulism.

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown

Best/worst puns ever on WW. (Mandarin trouble now.)

richardhod

gcdyersb wrote:My guess is it's the large production, low profit margin stuff we have to worry about the most. Not something like this. There was another story recently on most EVOO found on grocery store shelves not meeting the expected standard.

This is common with industrial food products that try to pretend to be artisinal. Grocery store wine producers, for example, do all sorts of crap to get their $6 bottle to meet a desired flavor profile. Red Biciclette Pinot was actually Grenache, Carignane and other Mediterranean varietals. Cheap CA varietal wine is adulterated with Mega Purple (concentrate grape cxtract), oak chips or dust, and random blending wines.

If bulk olive oil wasn't adulterated in some way, frankly I'd be amazed. To hit a price point and base-level taste profile, it would make sense to blend cheaper oils into higher grade oils. It costs more to get "real" agricultural products, but that is life. If you guy mass-market grocery store stuff, chances are it is not going to be authentic. I do buy on price often, so I'm not saying that we should all pay Whole Foods prices all the time. (We'd go broke.) But there is definitely a trade-off that we need to recognize.

Fine analysis, thank you! Oddy, I found the red Bicyclette (2008)at BevMo late in 2010 in their 5c sale, way after the scandal had been found out, and it still said "pinot noir" on it. I bought some out of curiosity and it was terrible. Definitely not PN.. no idea how anyone was fooled.

thing is, many people have no idea what good wine . oil should taste like.. I certainly haven't tasted top notch balsamic yet (like that stuff which is overdue for a return....) and so I can understand being in the position of someone who hasn't a better reference point!

maggiecain

specsmachine wrote:You can easily make your own infused oils customized to your tastes using garlic, herbs, zests and the like. Just make sure that if you use fresh ingredients over dried, you refrigerate the oil afterwards to avoid botulism.

That's great, but I can also avoid botulism by rubbing my chicken with olive oil, the squirting the chicken with fresh lemon juice. I've never understood flavored oils.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

2012 starting off Slow for wine woot, lets go Woot folks time for some Medlock Ames Cab

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
lielay wrote:I'd just like to know what Italians taste like.

I'll ask my wife and let ya know :-)

CasaDeCase

quality posts: 14 Private Messages CasaDeCase

Good Morning Wooters... this is Howard Case from Casa de Case, and we are the ones responsible for getting this wonderful agrumati to you. (We are also the ones that have brought you the Cavedoni Balsamic and the Olio Nuovo). I will try to be available to answer questions... but first I can clear up one thing. Technically these are not infused oils. Infused oils have the flavorings added after the oil is made - we can talk more about this later. These oils are made by crushing the olives with the fruit (lemons or oranges). The result is a completely natural tasting oil with an amazing aroma. Most of you know that we are primarily wholesalers selling direct to the Bay Areas finest restaurants, and these agrumati are among our chefs' most popular products. By the way, the Woot offering is an amazing price. You can find just one bottle from Amazon for $21.60. The Woot price is just a bit over our wholesale price.

CasaDeCase

maggiecain wrote:That's great, but I can also avoid botulism by rubbing my chicken with olive oil, the squirting the chicken with fresh lemon juice. I've never understood flavored oils.

I totally agree. Purchasing flavored oils in stores where they jam herbs, spices and peppers into the bottle is a bad idea. If they don't produce dangerous growth, at a minimum they will turn the oil rancid. The agrumati being offered here are not flavored oils and pose no such risk. The oil is 100% extra virgin made in Sicily from only Nocellara del Belice olives and fresh Sicilian lemons or Sicilian Moro oranges. This is another thing, indeed, apart from flavored oils. You need to taste it for yourself.

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex

The scandal is that they claim it to be 100% olive oil, when it is in fact not. You should be able to know what you are getting. There is high priced olive oil out there that is also adulterated. There is no way to know without doing the testing on each batch from each source. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone published specific results.

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex
CasaDeCase wrote:I totally agree. Purchasing flavored oils in stores where they jam herbs, spices and peppers into the bottle is a bad idea. If they don't produce dangerous growth, at a minimum they will turn the oil rancid. The agrumati being offered here are not flavored oils and pose no such risk. The oil is 100% extra virgin made in Sicily from only Nocellara del Belice olives and fresh Sicilian lemons or Sicilian Moro oranges. This is another thing, indeed, apart from flavored oils. You need to taste it for yourself.

What do you recommend doing with these oils? I mean types of food and techniques. Thank you!

maggiecain

CasaDeCase wrote:I totally agree. Purchasing flavored oils in stores where they jam herbs, spices and peppers into the bottle is a bad idea. If they don't produce dangerous growth, at a minimum they will turn the oil rancid. The agrumati being offered here are not flavored oils and pose no such risk. The oil is 100% extra virgin made in Sicily from only Nocellara del Belice olives and fresh Sicilian lemons or Sicilian Moro oranges. This is another thing, indeed, apart from flavored oils. You need to taste it for yourself.

Okay, I'm sold. There's room in my cupboard for a couple more jars after all! I am also interested in your suggestions for how to use them.

CasaDeCase

Thanks for the post.. there is fraud (or at least deceptive practices) in the olive oil business. For those of us that are in the import business, we are well aware of this. While it is true that some of the oil that is exported from Italy is not all Italian oil, there are still lots of quality beautiful oils produced by reputable families.

In our business, we call the oils that are blended in Italy with oil from Tunisia, Spain, Greece, etc. "Mediterranean Oil." The way to distinguish them, is to carefully read the label; they will say "Packed in Italy" rather than 100% Italian product.

We could spend a lot of time talking about this, but the bottom line is that you need to purchase from reputable sources, and always be suspicious of inexpensively priced oils. We import only olive oils from companies that we have personally visited. All are family owned and produce oils from olives from their own farms or the immediate area.

We can assure you that these agrumati are made in Sicily from 100% Sicilian olives and local lemons or oranges. There is nothing done to the product outside of crushing the fruit and filtering the oil. Enjoy it!

CasaDeCase

cyclebex wrote:What do you recommend doing with these oils? I mean types of food and techniques. Thank you!

When I think of using agrumati I am transported to Sicily where all sorts of seafood is dressed with fragrant olive oil and citrus.

• Grilled sardines really must have these oils!

• Any kind of grilled fish is immediately enhanced by finishing (using a light thread of oil on the finished dish just after plating) with either the orange or lemon oil.

• A steak - veal, beef, pork - is spectacular with this oil finished on top before serving.

• Grilled Chicken cries out for this oil.

• Many of our restaurants serve mixed cured olives that are marinated (and served) in the lemon oil and hot chili flakes.

• Almost any salad vinaigrette will benefit from using this oil. You can use it alone or mixed with an olive oil depending on how strong of a citrus flavor you want.

Just think of places where a bit of citrus will wake-up the flavors.

By the way.... the orange oil is more delicate than the lemon, so it is nice to have both so you can choose.

amywychow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amywychow

nice to know it's not flavor oil infused afterward in for 1...

richardhod

CasaDeCase wrote:We are also the ones that have brought you the Cavedoni Balsamic

Aha, interesting...

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

I live in a cold weather climate. When this is shipped, it will probably take 5 - 7 days to get here. Will the cold affect the oil?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jmdavidson wrote:I live in a cold weather climate. When this is shipped, it will probably take 5 - 7 days to get here. Will the cold affect the oil?

I'm pretty sure cold doesn't have much an effect on olive oil, much like it would to a wine. There isn't a "bottle shock" effect on this type of product. You would want to be careful about exposing it to higher temperatures though as that can lead to spoilage and other nasty effects on the oil.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013