CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

Bought the Meeker Kiss Ridge Cab a few months back and loved it. Glad I listened to everyone and caved, because I found a new favorite label!

I caved last time to an unknown Meeker, can anyone give reason as to why to cave to this Sirah?

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

Petite Sirah is becoming my favorite varietal and when combined with Meeker, an auto-buy.

Plus, I love seeing myself and mill in shining lights together! The perfect pairing.

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: jimjacks66
Speed to first woot: 0m 45.723s
Last wooter to woot: mill

And also exciting when paired with PetiteSirah:

Last wooter to woot: PetiteSirah

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
jimjacks66 wrote:Petite Syrah is becoming my favorite varietal and when combined with Meeker, an auto-buy.

Plus, I love seeing myself and mill in shining lights together! The perfect pairing.

Last wooter to woot: mill

You beat both mill and PetiteSirah! Dang!

Alright Lucas...I've got one foot over the fence already, just need a shove to get me the rest of the way. Tried your Cab Franc from a while back and enjoyed it, still haven't touched the Kiss Ridge or Grenache.

And to get the questions rolling, did you do your "standard" acidulation routine on this one as well? Did it need added acid to bring it to balance as your other varietals need?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah

had this before and enjoyed it. nice dark fruits, copious not too chalky tannins is about all i remember but these are some nice wines at an insane price. i'm in.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

PetiteSirah

jimjacks66 wrote:Petite Syrah is becoming my favorite varietal and when combined with Meeker, an auto-buy.

sIrah. Show some respect.

jimjacks66

PetiteSirah wrote:sIrah. Show some respect.

I am easily confused. Petite Syrah vs Petite Sirah. I agree, I prefer Petite Sirah spelling.

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm

Sonuva...

In for one.

At least it doesn't sting quite as bad (nor taste quite as good) as the 5 Silver Oak cabs I just bought...

jimjacks66

brainchasm wrote:Sonuva...

In for one.

At least it doesn't sting quite as bad (nor taste quite as good) as the 5 Silver Oak cabs I just bought...

Must have taken advantage of an offering from a woot competitor's site...

PetiteSirah

jimjacks66 wrote:I am easily confused. Petite Syrah vs Petite Sirah. I agree, I prefer Petite Sirah spelling.

only a few producers are grandfathered in with the improper spelling, most notably turley. according to the feds, sirah is the only proper spelling for all others.

jimjacks66

PetiteSirah wrote:only a few producers are grandfathered in with the improper spelling, most notably turley. according to the feds, sirah is the only proper spelling for all others.

Thank you for this explanation. Turley got me confused. I will not make this mistake again.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I need just the slightest nudge and I'm spending my coupon. Lucas?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jimjacks66

kylemittskus wrote:I need just the slightest nudge and I'm spending my coupon. Lucas?

No need for a push from Lucas Meeker. See PetiteSirah, Mill and myself. haha

szecsei

quality posts: 9 Private Messages szecsei

loved the meeker cab franc, haven't tried the kiss ridge, liked the rose. haven't explored petite sirah yet...can anyone shed some light on the grape (compared to the usual suspects: cab sauvignon, merlot, zin...)? i'm really trying to not buy any more wine for awhile...but i'm also curious and have been pleased with my previous meeker purchases. wine.woot is tempting me with their trinkets!

drinking window recommendations would be appreciated.

lucasmeeker

quality posts: 81 Private Messages lucasmeeker
klezman wrote:You beat both mill and PetiteSirah! Dang!

Alright Lucas...I've got one foot over the fence already, just need a shove to get me the rest of the way. Tried your Cab Franc from a while back and enjoyed it, still haven't touched the Kiss Ridge or Grenache.

And to get the questions rolling, did you do your "standard" acidulation routine on this one as well? Did it need added acid to bring it to balance as your other varietals need?

I'm not 100% sure about the acidulation on this wine because I forgot to copy down notes from the Harvest books before I left the winery for the day...

It's been a crazy couple weeks, we're doing a full taste and count of every barrel in the winery, tasted (and spat!) 100 bbls today, and on top of all that I have a million things to do before the weekend, so I unfortunately semi-blanked and forgot to jot the info down before I left. I guess I was pretty distracted looking forward to my weekend at Disneyland...

Anyways, I'll check the numbers in the morning, but for the time being, I'm 99.9% sure that both of these wines were treated as all of our wines were through the 2010 harvest, corrected TA to .75 g/100ml. The only thing that has changed lately is that now that I'm doing the decision making for must adds, I pay closer attention to pH, and ideally we're starting every fermentation under 3.5 pH (hopefully well under, but that's potassium/varietal/vineyard dependent).

If anything, we're correcting some wines even higher than .75 g/100ml. And these past two harvests, we've actually left a few lots where they were in TA if their pH was already substantially low. For example, we had some PV come in this year at 3.2... that doesn't need anymore help. After M/L, that's going to end up in a nice extended barrel/bottle age sweet spot of just a touch about 3.3-3.35.

As far as "bringing [...] into balance", I'm not sure that's how I'd describe it. But I really want to clarify that our acid addition is, in fact, a stability and aging decision, but it's also, and primarily, a style[/] decision. I'm not trying to be snooty, I'm just saying that it's not that we've discovered a magic number, it's that this is how we *like* our wines.

When we use the word balance, we suggest implicitly that there is [i]one
number that is the right number... and what makes wine fantastic is that we might execute our primary ferms at 3.3-3.4, but there are equally awesome wines at 3.5-3.6 during primary. It's about making consistent style decisions that work well together.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure these wines had the same acidulation practice (I can't think of any reason they wouldn't), and if anything, I think it's probably more important with Petite Sirah than a lot of other varietals because...

*this is where we switch to Lucas' personal opinion mode, not official Meeker corporate opinion mode*

I really hate high-high (3.9-4.1) pH, high alc (15.5+%) Petite Sirahs. There's something about the nature of the flabbiness and high octane in combination with the really Rhone-funk of hot climate PS and the black pepper character that just does not rock my boat.

*back to Meeker mode*

While we like to think that we make pretty BIG (in structure and tannin, not alc) wines, compared to the relatively dominant style of PS in California, in some ways this is a kind more medium styled varietal for us... it's much more acidic and comparably elegant than the big blackberry-black-pepper-bowling-ball style of PS (once again, not trying to hate, that's just my personal preference).

As is typical with our wines, I think it's fair to more appropriately compare these two PS to their old-world equivalents as opposed to their next door neighbors. Except, that is, these PSs don't really show that CdP barnyard funktacularness.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

Ya sure about that last part?

*grin*

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

lucasmeeker wrote:Ya sure about that last part?

*grin*

+1

WineDavid was my Boss!

lucasmeeker

jimjacks66 wrote:Thank you for this explanation. Turley got me confused. I will not make this mistake again.

FYI, Petite Sirah is actually an approved synonym for the primary varietal name... the only other name you can legally use for Petite Sirah:

DURIF (doesn't have the same romance, does it?)

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div6&view=text&node=27:1.0.1.1.2.10&idno=27

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

jimjacks66

texacaliali wrote:+1

I have a funny feeling both brainchasm and I gave in quickly (almost too quickly?) to both offerings. haha

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

What's the drinking window on these? Will we have lab rats, since it's Friday?

andyp53

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andyp53

Petite Sirah is with an "i" in Sirah.The flavor is anything but petite, because the grape berry itself is petite. That gives it a higher skin to juice ratio so the gorgeous dark skins yield this big rich dark wine.
Syrah is a different critter, but it is also known as Shiraz in Australia and other places. If Petite Sirah v. Syrah and Shiraz don't confuse you enough, think of Petit Verdot, which has no "e" in the Petit. I've seen that mispelled even on wine labels.

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

Petit Verdot comes from the Bordeaux area.

Petite Sirah - also called Durif - originates from Southern France.

lucasmeeker

szecsei wrote:loved the meeker cab franc, haven't tried the kiss ridge, liked the rose. haven't explored petite sirah yet...can anyone shed some light on the grape (compared to the usual suspects: cab sauvignon, merlot, zin...)? i'm really trying to not buy any more wine for awhile...but i'm also curious and have been pleased with my previous meeker purchases. wine.woot is tempting me with their trinkets!

drinking window recommendations would be appreciated.

Kachow! We can do this.

Petite Sirah is considered one of the two-four "core" Rhone grapes from a new world perspective, because it was originally discovered in the southern Rhone (a Syrah/Peloursin cross). That said, it's not really used in France anymore (according to the webernets, I was still under the impression that it was used in some CdP wines). Syrah, Grenache, Carignane, Mourvedre, Cinsault being the main AOC approved varietals for SOUTHERN Rhone regions (though there are a buttload more). Northern Rhone regions are all Syrah or Syrah plus Marsanne/Roussane/Viognier only.

Petite Sirah is probably kind of "second fiddle" only to Syrah of this cadre of grapes, and it's typically known for being the plummy, inky, peppery, hot climate structure-stud that it became famous for. It carries a lot of similar characteristics to CdP/southern Rhone wines, and I think to many it shows a very atypical new world character. It's tendency to exhibit non-red fruit character in tandem with a predominance of pepper/spice/earth/fennel type character that is really a nice change of pace if you drink a lot of California wine. But, just like every other varietal, it's become more stylistically varied with more people making it in the past 10 years.

Drinking window is now-5 years out. These wines will age very well, but my personal opinion is that our Petite Sirahs should be opened when they're still going to show some fruit but also mute the pepperiness that can be a touch too dominant for my taste when the wines are young.

Hope this helps!

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

andyp53 wrote: think of Petit Verdot, which has no "e" in the Petit. I've seen that mispelled even on wine labels.

Nothing makes me throw the rage fist in the air more than misspelled varietals. It's like, really? You didn't have time to Google it? Difference is feminine/masculine construction.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

jimjacks66

bud8jr wrote:Petit Verdot comes from the Bordeaux area.

Petite Sirah - also called Durif - originates from Southern France.

I appreciate the input from Petitesirah, andyp53 and bud8jr for the correct spelling. I have corrected my original post and apologize profusely. Will not make this mistake again with the spelling.

And to think, I did win a spelling contest as a kid....

lucasmeeker

jimjacks66 wrote:I appreciate the input from Petitesirah, andyp53 and bud8jr for the correct spelling. I have corrected my original post and apologize profusely. Will not make this mistake again with the spelling.

To clarify... misspelling varietals on labels makes me mad, wineries should know better. From a customer perspective, you can spell it however you want! As long as the way you pronounce it is close enough, then you're still getting the same wine .

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

bud8jr

jimjacks66 wrote:I appreciate the input from Petitesirah, andyp53 and bud8jr for the correct spelling. I have corrected my original post and apologize profusely. Will not make this mistake again with the spelling.

I got a blue ribbon for the fastest crawler!

dkralston

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkralston

In for two.

Just seems when it's a PS or a Cab Franc, it's an auto-buy with me....

Elegant. Complex. Distinctive.
You are what you drink!

lucasmeeker

bud8jr wrote:I got a blue ribbon for the fastest crawler!

Alright folks, to bed with me. At the winery at 7:30, and I'll be back to harass you all then as well. Need to get some rest before my weekend off!

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

bud8jr

lucasmeeker wrote:Alright folks, to bed with me. At the winery at 7:30, and I'll be back to harass you all then as well. Need to get some rest before my weekend off!

The recently offered Forklift Grenache was fantastic.

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau 2011,less than $10 a bottle yet better than anything ever made in cali.Perfect balance that in impossible for any cali vintners to achieve.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

In for one.

I just bought 2 Silver Oaks and this wouldn't sting as bad as just one of those.... PM sent btw.

ahlewis53

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ahlewis53

I can't see buying any Silver Oak past ~1996. They just lost the magic when they went "big time"

Still debating on the Meeker. I'm a big petite sirah fan but really prefer the big, huge tannin bombs that need a smoked tri tip or BBQ leg of lamb to enjoy.

gooberpeas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gooberpeas
mudman2007 wrote:

Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau 2011,less than $10 a bottle yet better than anything ever made in cali.Perfect balance that in impossible for any cali vintners to achieve.

2011 huh? You like em young, don't you

jlweiner1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlweiner1

Is this really going to arrive by Christmas?? Oh ... who cares. Like I won't need good wine after the holidays!!

ElephantNest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElephantNest

I've only seen the Meeker Handprint Merlot, and we picked one up about 7 years ago. To be honest, the bottle is so nice, my GF won't let us drink it. In for this deal so I can finally taste a Meeker.

(My Handprint is a 2004, did we miss the drinking window for this vintage?)

rugrats2001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001
mudman2007 wrote:

You, Sir, are seriously in need of wine counseling.

rugrats2001

ElephantNest wrote:I've only seen the Meeker Handprint Merlot, and we picked one up about 7 years ago. To be honest, the bottle is so nice, my GF won't let us drink it. In for this deal so I can finally taste a Meeker.

(My Handprint is a 2004, did we miss the drinking window for this vintage?)

We opened our last bottle of 2004 Handprint (signed by Kelly Meeker!) in August, and it was still showing well. If it was stored properly, it should still be enjoyable!

rugrats2001

gooberpeas wrote:2011 huh? You like em young, don't you

He'd better like 'em young, Beaujolais Nouveau are only drinkable, if you can even call them that, for a couple of months after release. They are a 'party' wine that gets rid of extra low-quality juice that was still hanging grapes a month or two before it is sold.