MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

It's that time of year again! Time to think about that most delicious of all, that dark beauty... Petite Sirah!

P.S. I Love You will be hosting their 6th annual Dark & Delicious event at the Rock Wall Wine Company in Alameda, CA. Friday, Feb 17, 6-9PM. Registration is OPEN.

And this time, it falls during Presidents' Day weekend!!!

Petite Sirah (aka Loweeel) has 4 to 6 tickets available at a discounted price, which will also allow you to get in earlier at 5pm. If there is enough demand, I can also probably get around 6 more tickets as well.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
FRIDAY FEB 17
6th Annual Dark & Delicious
6:00pm - 9:00pm
Rock Wall Wine Company
2301 Monarch Street, Alameda, CA 94501
Tickets: Details Here

Attendees:

- Loweeel
- Loweeel +1
- TheMostRighteous (YEA!)
- MarkDaSpark
- tenuki
- tenuki's +1
- ajrod27
- ajrod27 +1
- ajrod27 +2
- CAGrl
- bsevern
- JoanneVicious (+3 more)
- michaepf (+3 more)
- klezman
- klezman +1
- Richardhod

Maybe's:

- rfrusso
- rfrusso +1
- sukeiasa
- sukeiasa's dad
- Itwdswafo

Regrets:

- sanity
- mr. sanity
- JavaDrinker

D&D After Party
9:30pm - 1:00am
Holiday Inn - Oakland Airport
77 Hegenberger Road, Oakland, CA
Sparky's Suite
Listing of wines

SATURDAY FEB 18
Napa Wine Romp
Wineries: Biale, Corison, Kent Rasmussen, Vincent Arroyo, Prager, David Fulton, & Scott Harvey

Meet at Biale at 10am. Probable Schedule

Attendees:
- Sparky
- tenuki
- J
- CAGrl

Maybe's:
- Mewalk
- Loweeel
- Loweeel +1

SUNDAY FEB 19
Sonoma Wine Romp
Wineries TBD (Ridge, Preston, Hawley, Wellington, & Caton)

Attendees:
- Sparky
- tenuki
- JoanneVicious

Maybe's:
- WorstVeg
- J
- JavaDrinker
- JavaDrinker's +1
- Mewalk
- Loweeel
- Loweeel +1

MONDAY FEB 20
Livermore/Other Wine Romp
Location & Wineries TBD (Concannon)

2011 D&D thread

updated: 2/16/2012 11:30:00 PM

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 118 Private Messages klezman

I will need to consult the oracles regarding a) whether I will be living up here still and b) backcountry skiing for the long weekend. Now why would they do and do it on the long weekend??

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Put me down as a maybe. If I have a job by then, who knows if I can have the weekend off or something.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
klezman wrote:I will need to consult the oracles regarding a) whether I will be living up here still and b) backcountry skiing for the long weekend. Now why would they do and do it on the long weekend??

We're not Canadians, we don't celebrate every minor holiday and make up more

I'm only +1 for d&d, J, will see what she and worstveg are up to for the weekend stuff when it's closer. And took two of loweeel's tickets.

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

You can take me off the list of Maybe's. Cat & I are having to pick-n-choose our vacations/trips, and next year D&D just won't fit.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

man this sounds like fun. And its even during my birthday!!! Somehow I just don't see convincing hubby to fly out to do this plus going to vegas the beginning of Feb. and bottling in may.... I am serious.... I need a wine daddy!!!!

CAGrl

mommadeb1 wrote:man this sounds like fun. And its even during my birthday!!! Somehow I just don't see convincing hubby to fly out to do this plus going to vegas the beginning of Feb. and bottling in may.... I am serious.... I need a wine daddy!!!!

Hahaha. That's why I'm glad I moved back to California from Florida.

klezman

quality posts: 118 Private Messages klezman
tenuki wrote:We're not Canadians, we don't celebrate every minor holiday and make up more

There are several more long weekends per year here than in Canada...

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
CAGrl wrote:Hahaha. That's why I'm glad I moved back to California from Florida.

I think I will stay in Florida. I do wish I could take more wine trips!

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Regrets for ddeuddeg & me. I won't be back from Quebec until late in the evening the 19th.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Regrets for ddeuddeg & me. I won't be back from Quebec until late in the evening the 19th.

Edit: Wait ... Won't you let D-Dog come out and Play???? Pweeeze?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Okay, do we want to visit Napa Wineries Saturday and Sonoma Wineries Sunday/Monday or vice-versa? Sonoma area Sunday only or Sunday & Monday?

And does anyone have a specific winery they'd like to visit?

Vincent Arroyo (Calistoga) has a very nice PS Port .... too bad their barrel tasting is the 26th. Scott Harvey is in St. Helena (along with Prager Port & Wine Works (PS Ports) and Chase (PS)).

If anyone is traveling from out of state, do we want to stay in the same hotel for the weekend? Or does everyone want to stay in different hotels?

The Holiday Inn Express in American Canyon was very nice last year. Just south of Napa County Airport, so easy access to Napa and Sonoma highways. Or up in Calistoga like another time? Or right in Sonoma?

Or over in Santa Rosa (off the 101) at the Best Western Garden Inn ($85) or Hilton Sonoma Wine Country ($89)? We used the BWGI for the first RPM tour, but there were some complaints. Sonoma Highway isn't far, and it's easy access to the 101 (for both hotels) to go up to Healdsburg and Dry Creek wineries.

We can visit Ty/Muscardini (either their tasting room, or main area in Sonoma itself), then Wellington, and Mayo Family (PS) before going to the Fig & the Leaf in Glen Ellen (no corkage, and they feature Wellington wines) for dinner. Little Vineyards is also close by in Glen Ellen, and Kunde is in Kenwood by Ty.

Of course, the PSith Master may be able to get us special visits, so we need input from him.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Edit: Wait ... Won't you let D-Dog come out and Play???? Pweeeze?

Get thee behind me, Satan!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Get thee behind me, Satan!

You're thinking Santa .... I'm Sparky Claus.

President's Day Weekend .... Petite Sirah .... Port .... Wine.Wooters ..... Come to the Dark Side, We have Cookies!!!

tiger7610

quality posts: 16 Private Messages tiger7610
MarkDaSpark wrote:You're thinking Santa .... I'm Sparky Claus.

President's Day Weekend .... Petite Sirah .... Port .... Wine.Wooters ..... Come to the Dark Side, We have Cookies!!!

So what is Sparky Claus going to bring us for Wootmas?

richardhod

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, do we want to visit Napa Wineries Saturday and Sonoma Wineries Sunday/Monday or vice-versa? Sonoma area Sunday only or Sunday & Monday?

Vincent Arroyo (Calistoga) has a very nice PS Port .... too bad their barrel tasting is the 26th. Scott Harvey is in St. Helena (along with Prager Port & Wine Works (PS Ports) and Chase (PS)).

If anyone is traveling from out of state, do we want to stay in the same hotel for the weekend? Or does everyone want to stay in different hotels?

The Holiday Inn Express in American Canyon was very nice last year. Just south of Napa County Airport, so easy access to Napa and Sonoma highways. Or up in Calistoga like another time? Or right in Sonoma?

Or over in Santa Rosa (off the 101) at the Best Western Garden Inn ($85) or Hilton Sonoma Wine Country ($89)? We used the BWGI for the first RPM tour, but there were some complaints. Sonoma Highway isn't far, and it's easy access to the 101 (for both hotels) to go up to Healdsburg and Dry Creek wineries.

We can visit Ty/Muscardini (either their tasting room, or main area in Sonoma itself), then Wellington, and Mayo Family (PS) before going to the Fig & the Leaf in Glen Ellen (no corkage, and they feature Wellington wines) for dinner. Little Vineyards is also close by in Glen Ellen, and Kunde is in Kenwood by Ty.

Of course, the PSith Master may be able to get us special visits, so we need input from him.

Is there another new winery we've discovered this year (woot or not) that's close by, then being able to drop any "meh"' destinations (for me, kunde ;) and see others.

eg
Atlas Peak
Raymond
Saddleback
Davis
Sequoia Grove
Schug
Zahtila

Anyone like the sound of any of these?

If Livermore happens, PSith Master made Concannon a must. huge discounts with him. There's also another place there we had lunch, Wente, and the wines sould be tried properly, as they are recommended by Hugh Johnson, and we didn't try them all.

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

So... I haven't actually met any Wooters in person, but I really regretted missing D&D last year, given that we live in SF. Is there anything more formal required than saying, "We wanna go!"?

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
michaepf wrote:So... I haven't actually met any Wooters in person, but I really regretted missing D&D last year, given that we live in SF. Is there anything more formal required than saying, "We wanna go!"?

Yes, you have to buy tickets

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf
cheron98 wrote:Yes, you have to buy tickets

How droll :P

At the site it indicated that there's a discount for purchases of 8 or more. And Mark indicated that he could get tickets at a discounted rate, if there's sufficient demand...

And it sounds like there's usually a group or three that go up to Sonoma or Napa - I think I was asking about that, too. ;) But thank you for making me be more specific...

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

MarkDaSpark

michaepf wrote:How droll :P

At the site it indicated that there's a discount for purchases of 8 or more. And Mark indicated that he could get tickets at a discounted rate, if there's sufficient demand...

And it sounds like there's usually a group or three that go up to Sonoma or Napa - I think I was asking about that, too. ;) But thank you for making me be more specific...

You can PM PetiteSirah (he creates the CyberPub normally) if any of his tickets are still available.

I haven't ordered any yet. Waiting to see demand.

And yes. You have to say you wanna go!

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
MarkDaSpark wrote:And yes. You have to say you wanna go!

But I don't wanna go!! Not to friday anyway. However, I'm in for either saturday or sunday (unfortunately, not both).

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

So funny thing...I might be a maybe. So I'm a maybe maybe. My +1 wouldn't be available for Friday but she's off Monday. So a tentative plan might be for me to take Friday off, hit D&D, then she flies in Saturday morning and we hit wine country over the weekend with a drive home on Monday. So yeah, maybe maybe+.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

richardhod

mewalk707 wrote:But I don't wanna go!! Not to friday anyway. However, I'm in for either saturday or sunday (unfortunately, not both).

lol. not a PS fan?

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
richardhod wrote:lol. not a PS fan?

I like it sometimes. Depends on the individual wine. I would really like to try an aged PS. Maybe that would change my perspective.

What I really don't like are crowds. In fact, it's turning into quite the phobia. Or maybe i'm just anti-social in a large group setting. Yeah, that's it.

MarkDaSpark

mewalk707 wrote:I like it sometimes. Depends on the individual wine. I would really like to try an aged PS. Maybe that would change my perspective.

What I really don't like are crowds. In fact, it's turning into quite the phobia. Or maybe i'm just anti-social in a large group setting. Yeah, that's it.

Well, come to the After Party. I'll try to bring one of my old PS's along.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I'll be attending! And probably +1 and +2; I PM'd PetiteSirah about tickets

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I'd like to get three tickets.

Are there any discount tickets still available?

Thanks!
Brian

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

This is intriguing, I'll have to see if I can fit the trip in from SoCal... Oh, I know... soooo far away!

MarkDaSpark

bsevern wrote:I'd like to get three tickets.

Are there any discount tickets still available?

Thanks!
Brian

Possibly. Need to see if PS has any left, otherwise I'm going to try to get some as well.

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:This is intriguing, I'll have to see if I can fit the trip in from SoCal... Oh, I know... soooo far away!

If Java and I can make it, so can you!!!

CAGrl

So I'm still a maybe but when would people need to know if I want to get the VIP ticket or whatever it is that allows me in 1 hour earlier. Or how would I go about buying it myself?

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, do we want to visit Napa Wineries Saturday and Sonoma Wineries Sunday/Monday or vice-versa? Sonoma area Sunday only or Sunday & Monday?

Feedback?

Also, we might get lucky if PetiteSirah can get us back in at Concannon (where they have some fantastic PS that you don't get in the markets!) in Livermore. So maybe that on Monday?

A lot depends on the PSith Master as well. But which areas would people prefer to visit on Saturday and/or Sunday?

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

You and L are the out of towners so hitting your favorites is fine by me And I really mean that, it's not just an excuse to not make a decision!

CT

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Might as well count me out on this... I have another event I need to attend on 2/17, with a possible Club 33 reservation that week as well. Napa trip is being pushed back to March for me!

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Please put mr sanity and me in the regrets column.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Just an fyi to everyone thinking of going up to sonoma that living social has deal going for the Hilton Sonoma. Please pm me to get my email or use link below if you decide to buy. I bought one because I go up fairly often and may even use it for presidents day weekend.

http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/199998?ref=email-jp&rpi=42616638

sledged

quality posts: 20 Private Messages sledged
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's that time of year again! Time to think about that most delicious of all, that dark beauty... Petite Sirah!

P.S. I Love You will be hosting their 6th annual Dark & Delicious event at the Rock Wall Wine Company in Alameda, CA. Friday, Feb 17, 6-9PM. Registration is OPEN.

And this time, it falls during Presidents' Day weekend!!!

Petite Sirah (aka Loweeel) has 4 to 6 tickets available at a discounted price, which will also allow you to get in earlier at 5pm. If there is enough demand, I can also probably get around 6 more tickets as well.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
FRIDAY FEB 17
6th Annual Dark & Delicious
6:00pm - 9:00pm
Rock Wall Wine Company
2301 Monarch Street, Alameda, CA 94501
Tickets: Details Here

Attendees:

- Loweeel
- Loweeel +1
- MarkDaSpark
- tenuki
- tenuki's +1
- ajrod27
- ajrod27 +1
- ajrod27 +2

Maybe's:

- klezman
- klezman +1
- CAGrl
- Richardhod
- rfrusso
- rfrusso +1
- sukeiasa
- sukeiasa's dad
- sanity
- mr. sanity
- JavaDrinker
- bsevern (+2 more)
- Itwdswafo

D&D After Party
9:30pm - 1:00am
Holiday Inn - Oakland Airport
77 Hegenberger Road, Oakland, CA
Sparky's Suite

SATURDAY FEB 18
Napa/Sonoma Wine Romp
Wineries TBD

Attendees:
- Loweeel
- Loweeel +1
- Sparky
- tenuki

Maybe's:
- WorstVeg
- J
- JavaDrinker
- JavaDrinker's +1
- Mewalk

SUNDAY FEB 19
Napa/Sonoma Wine Romp
Wineries TBD

Attendees:
- Loweeel
- Loweeel +1
- Sparky
- tenuki

Maybe's:
- WorstVeg
- J
- JavaDrinker
- JavaDrinker's +1
- Mewalk

MONDAY FEB 20
More Sonoma/Livermore/Other Wine Romp
Location & Wineries TBD

2011 D&D thread

I'll be there pouring my 2009 Aratas Petite Sirah. Stop by! Mike Drash

updated: 1/1/2012 10:12:00

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl

Wish I lived closer so I could go to these things. Saw earlier in the thread talk of Livermore. If you make it there stop at the Steven Kent tasting room (and get to LaRochelle right near it too if you can). Fantastic wines. I joined their wine club and I am three shipments in and they have all been fantastic. It is right next to Wente. LaRochelle sources grapes from multiple vineyards but focuses on single vineyard wines, I liked the pinot's of theirs I have tried.

Event sounds like a great time, hope all enjoy

MarkDaSpark

sledged wrote:
I'll be there pouring my 2009 Aratas Petite Sirah. Stop by! Mike Drash

We will!!! See you then!!