Facebook
Twitter

Previous offers:
12/30/10
4/2/10

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

glazedfaith

quality posts: 33 Private Messages glazedfaith

Can anyone say with any certainty that this chocolate is child labor free?

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm

I bought a pack of this last year when it was just the 70% dark chocolate. It's pretty good stuff, not waxy at all like Hersey's. It is fairly dark though, so unless you like your chocolate strong, you might want to stick to the lighter varieties. I however love it. I have a piece or two at a time and it satisfies my choco-cravings.

Added bonus: the 70% stuff is vegan.

Previous sale

alien88

quality posts: 18 Private Messages alien88

Saw Rain Republic post on their facebook page about new products and hopefully it appearing for US purchase "soon". Was hoping it'd be on woot! Sure enough. Love their chocolate.. in for 3.

Another image, from their facebook page

edit: wow, I got first sucker? I even had to search for my birthday wine.woot coupon code before ordering!

wooters.us - scoring more bags of Koi for you than others.

sarianna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarianna

Sorry to be the new kid, but can this be shipped internationally?

McCool009

quality posts: 2 Private Messages McCool009

My favorite (non-alcoholic) thing I've found on Woot. In for 3!

phidan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phidan
quantamm wrote:I bought a pack of this last year when it was just the 70% dark chocolate. It's pretty good stuff, not waxy at all like Hersey's. It is fairly dark though, so unless you like your chocolate strong, you might want to stick to the lighter varieties. I however love it. I have a piece or two at a time and it satisfies my choco-cravings.

Added bonus: the 70% stuff is vegan.

Previous sale

the fact that you even mentioned this stuff in the same sentence as hershey's makes me skeptical

jshagam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jshagam
glazedfaith wrote:Can anyone say with any certainty that this chocolate is child labor free?

Don't be silly. It's children's sweat and tears that make it so DELICIOUS.

CoconutExtreme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CoconutExtreme

/drool

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

If the chocolate from Guatemala is anything like the coffee beans, this is probably amazing.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

mbmanaus

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mbmanaus

Shout out to Jumbowoot for covering 80% of my chocolate purchase today! Surprised I didn't blow the coupon during the woot-off but I am happy that I held out.

poorhungrydoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages poorhungrydoctor

I was going over the review from Dec 2010, and there were some terrible reports about chocolate ingredients being improperly mixed and globbing up. It is also reported, that when the manufacturer was contacted, they gave half-assed answer and didn't respond properly.

Does anyone know if these issues still exist?

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

I bought these the last time they were offered, but it was only the 70% dark and not the variety here. If I didn't have 4 bars left I'd be on this in a heartbeat. They also included one bar of the hot chili chocolate and it was soo good and so very spicy. Loved it. The only chocolate I've had comparable to this is the Amano chocolate offered on woot many years ago.

lassow

phidan wrote:the fact that you even mentioned this stuff in the same sentence as hershey's makes me skeptical

Hershey's = over-sweetened wannabe chocolate plonk.

Actually their straight up 100% cocoa powder is decent for the money and makes good hot chocolate. Not that any other boutique 100% cocoa powder wouldn't be way better.

bigfatbass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigfatbass

$30 plus tax for 12oz of chocolate? Makes the wine here seem like a bargain!

smells like death in here.

poorhungrydoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages poorhungrydoctor
jshagam wrote:Don't be silly. It's children's sweat and tears that make it so DELICIOUS.

As long as it doesn't have blood.

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum
phidan wrote:the fact that you even mentioned this stuff in the same sentence as hershey's makes me skeptical

They didn't mention Hershey's. They mentioned Hersey's. ;)

jrbarbe1964

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrbarbe1964

$24.99 + $5.00 shipping = $29.99 for 20 ounces of chocolate. That's $1.50 an ounce? Not sure how great this chocolate is but I get a 3.5 ounce Toblerone bar for $1.92. Roughly $.55 an ounce.

awnree1

quality posts: 9 Private Messages awnree1
glazedfaith wrote:Can anyone say with any certainty that this chocolate is child labor free?

Unfortunately, the sites where slave/child labor free chocolates are listed do not list this brand. :-(

If they are free from using child and slave labor, I highly encourage them to do what it takes to get listed on these lists:

http://vision.ucsd.edu/~kbranson/stopchocolateslavery/main.html

http://www.slavefreechocolate.org/

twitter is the dumbest F%#$ing thing that ever happened to the internet.

awnree1

quality posts: 9 Private Messages awnree1

I have purchases this brand of chocolate when it was offered, what a year ago... I wasn't all that impressed myself.

I will stick with Green and Blacks, Divine and Endangered Species chocolates myself...

twitter is the dumbest F%#$ing thing that ever happened to the internet.

rennyn

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rennyn

Chocolate made by child slaves tastes better. Hopefully this is good chocolate!

lassow

rennyn wrote:Chocolate made by child slaves tastes better. Hopefully this is good chocolate!

Would be really catchy if it had been quoted like this:

rennyn wrote:child slaves tastes better.

whoops

mgmontgomery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mgmontgomery

Quality child labor is getting more and more hard to come by.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Got the 10-pack previously and they were very good but the Chili Cabanero bar was incredible! I'm still hesitant about this offer though as I'm not sure how I feel about the cinnamon flavored bars. Has anybody tried them or any other cinnamon flavored dark chocolate?

piskami

quality posts: 7 Private Messages piskami

Great chocolate - a different taste than what you find in the stores. I would recommend. I ordered the 10 bar + 1 bonus pack about a year ago from here. Worth it!

From last wine woot -

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4350077

wibble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wibble

Argh! Woot Cellars!!! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN MEEEEE?!?!?

ammatos

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ammatos

At this price, and considering that Chocolate doesn't like heat- this should have been shipped via FedEx Ground, FedEx Home, or ANYTHING faster than SmartPost (bka SNAIL-Post!!!). UGH!!!

Best to All,

a.

collinvh

quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh

I might have to go for this so when my wife enjoys her wine I can can enjoy some chocolate

McCool009

jrbarbe1964 wrote:$24.99 + $5.00 shipping = $29.99 for 20 ounces of chocolate. That's $1.50 an ounce? Not sure how great this chocolate is but I get a 3.5 ounce Toblerone bar for $1.92. Roughly $.55 an ounce.

I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste, but I do believe it's at least three times as good as a Toblerone. In fact I like their chocolate more than anything mentioned in this thread - and believe me, I spent a lot of time browsing the fancy chocolate sections of various stores after my last order ran out.

nothinghead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nothinghead

In (half) seriousness, with all the talk of child labor and chocolate production... if kids are going to be forced into working in some sort of factory, isn't a chocolate factory probably the best-case scenario? Seems somewhat more kid-friendly than textiles or computers. If you told my niece she'd get to work in a chocolate factory, she'd probably be delighted.

cindihoward

quality posts: 42 Private Messages cindihoward

Chili in Chocolate? A new taste sensation!

MissouriMomma

Hapgood610

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Hapgood610

I agree unfortunately. I purchased this deal last time - chocolate was good - but for the price I didn't find it much better than the aforementioned. Reading all the raves, i feel as though I'm missing out on something.

awnree1 wrote:I have purchases this brand of chocolate when it was offered, what a year ago... I wasn't all that impressed myself.

I will stick with Green and Blacks, Divine and Endangered Species chocolates myself...

McCool009

Hapgood610 wrote:I agree unfortunately. I purchased this deal last time - chocolate was good - but for the price I didn't find it much better than the aforementioned. Reading all the raves, i feel as though I'm missing out on something.

From some of the negative posts and reviews I've read, I'm quite sure they must have had some bad batches/quality control issues or something. You could take that as a negative mark on them in general and write them off, but since I loved mine so much I'm just hoping they'll grow and improve their operations.

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid

I really liked the other Rain Republic offerings in the past here, but there are equally good options at much better prices in stores like Cost Plus World Market.

cindihoward

quality posts: 42 Private Messages cindihoward
bigfatbass wrote:$30 plus tax for 12oz of chocolate? Makes the wine here seem like a bargain!

You must not get out much! It costs that much at most Chocolate Specialty stores and tourists counters....and even more at the local Movie Theater!

MissouriMomma

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
bigfatbass wrote:$30 plus tax for 12oz of chocolate? Makes the wine here seem like a bargain!

It's 20 ounces of chocolate. To be sure, it's still expensive. However, one doesn't usually eat 1.5 ounces of this type of chocolate in a sitting, like would happen with say a Hershey Bar. This type of chocolate is broken off the bar in small quantities, usually letting it melt in the mouth over time. It's so good that it would be a shame and a waste to chew it.

Still, it's expensive even compared to some of the better dark chocolates on the market. Whether it's worth it or not is something that can probably be found in the comments from people that have had it in the past.

My concern with this deal is that four of the bars are only 41% chocolate, but are labeled as "dark milk chocolate." I understand that they're within their legal rights to call it dark chocolate, but I don't consider anything less than about 60% to be dark chocolate. Perhaps one day the world will adopt my chocolate rating system. Until then, we'll get things like this.

I'm considering using my $20 Woot coupon on this, but I'm on the fence.

Indiefab

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Indiefab

Its tough buying anything else when Askinosie.com is less than 5 miles from my house. #spoiled

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
nothinghead wrote:In (half) seriousness, with all the talk of child labor and chocolate production... if kids are going to be forced into working in some sort of factory, isn't a chocolate factory probably the best-case scenario? Seems somewhat more kid-friendly than textiles or computers. If you told my niece she'd get to work in a chocolate factory, she'd probably be delighted.

Sure your niece would be delighted...for the first two hours, until she vomited from all of the free chocolate that she'd consumed. After that, she probably wouldn't be much of a chocolate fan. Ever again.

I'd imagine that even the smell of chocolate would soon become a nauseating thing if you were working near big hot vats of it every day.

Still, as child labor goes, it wouldn't be too bad. I'm thinking that a toy factory might be better, though...as long as you're not working in the lead paint division.

fzombie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fzombie

This isn't wine at all. Maybe they should have a chocolate.woot.com it sure would make a boat load of sales at least once a month.