bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

Here's the dish: come on out to Buffalo, NY for the Ice Wine Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. It is a wine and food pairing at many of the wineries.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
DATE:Saturday, January 28, 2012
EVENT: Ice Wine Festival in nearby Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada

Friday: Dinner at SeaBar, 475 Ellicott St, Buffalo NY, 14203

TIME:Saturday: Breakfast at D*ick & Jenny's. Cannot bypass the woot filter for d*ick in the url! Too funny!

Dinner at Stone Road Grille @ 5:45 PM.

Sunday: 12:30 PM Brunch at Shango

ATTENDEES:

1. bahwm
2. ddeuddeg
3. cheron98
4. tiger7610
5. wkdpanda
6. justinrsanderson
7. justinrsanderson's +1
8. ajrod27 (from California!)

Maybes:
1. klezman
2. klezman +1
3. ratnikov

Regrets:
1. ajrod27's +1
2. wkdpanda's +1
3. Wendy
4. Wendy's +1
5. sukeiasa

Lodging close to bahwm & ddeuddeg's house:

Search for Best Western Plus the Inn of Lackawanna, NY Cesare & kttest and the PolarBears have stayed here and were happy with it.

Search for Hampton Inn Buffalo South/I-90

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bahwm wrote:ddeuddeg and I are NOT available Sat. Jan 7th.

Well that's good. Neither is the Ice Wine Festival

Dates are January 13-29th. Weekends.

http://www.icewinefestival.com/

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I dont get back from India until after Jan 16th, so I would prefer something toward the end of Jan so I can recover from jet lag

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I second end of January.

I'll be getting back from Taipei on the 14th.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

My favourite festival I'll see if I can swing it. Molarchae has a friend in the Finger Lakes she wants to see as well.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tiger7610

klezman wrote:My favourite festival I'll see if I can swing it. Molarchae has a friend in the Finger Lakes she wants to see as well.

You should, I have yet to make it myself but will try extra hard this year.

klezman

tiger7610 wrote:You should, I have yet to make it myself but will try extra hard this year.

Well, there is a tentative "yes" from molarchae. Flying to Buffalo is *way* cheaper than flying to Toronto usually, so given a day or so to head to Rochester area it's looking like at least 50-50. The only complicating factor at this point is her quals are likely in Feb.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bahwm

klezman wrote:Well, there is a tentative "yes" from molarchae. Flying to Buffalo is *way* cheaper than flying to Toronto usually, so given a day or so to head to Rochester area it's looking like at least 50-50. The only complicating factor at this point is her quals are likely in Feb.

We're going to have to defer to the world travelers this year for dates. What's going to work for you guys date wise?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

bahwm wrote:We're going to have to defer to the world travelers this year for dates. What's going to work for you guys date wise?

Would Jan 28th work for everyone? This gives me a week to get back on a normal schedule, but I think the festival will still be going. Maybe we can even avoid the MLK crowds?

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:Would Jan 28th work for everyone? This gives me a week to get back on a normal schedule, but I think the festival will still be going. Maybe we can even avoid the MLK crowds?

I believe that would work for me

tiger7610

cheron98 wrote:I believe that would work for me

WOOOOOOOOOOT That would be awesome. It has been too long since I saw you. (Yes I know, it is only been since july)

klezman

bahwm wrote:We're going to have to defer to the world travelers this year for dates. What's going to work for you guys date wise?

World travelers?! Hahaha
I think one molarchae gets her quals date we can look at it more seriously. I don't think any of those weekends are particularly better or worse than others a priori. There is again the small potential factor of me not knowing whether I'll be living in the bay area still or LA.

bahwm

klezman wrote:World travelers?! Hahaha
I think one molarchae gets her quals date we can look at it more seriously. I don't think any of those weekends are particularly better or worse than others a priori. There is again the small potential factor of me not knowing whether I'll be living in the bay area still or LA.

I've flown out of Rochester to Ontario, CA cheaper than out of Buffalo. Just a little closer to the Finger Lakes.

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

Hmm, this sounds like fun, but kind of a bit far for a drive. Perhaps I will get my pilot's license by the time the event comes around... =/

bahwm

ratnikov wrote:Hmm, this sounds like fun, but kind of a bit far for a drive. Perhaps I will get my pilot's license by the time the event comes around... =/

Where do you live?

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov
bahwm wrote:Where do you live?

NYC. I did a drive out to Finger lakes a few weekends ago, which was rather pleasant. However, that required leaving Friday evening and about 4 hours driving and is probably the maximum range I can do for a weekend. =/

tiger7610

ratnikov wrote:NYC. I did a drive out to Finger lakes a few weekends ago, which was rather pleasant. However, that required leaving Friday evening and about 4 hours driving and is probably the maximum range I can do for a weekend. =/

There are plenty of buses that go to Buffalo from NYC, and trains. I guess you could also fly, but it might be a bit dicey in Jan.

klezman

ratnikov wrote:NYC. I did a drive out to Finger lakes a few weekends ago, which was rather pleasant. However, that required leaving Friday evening and about 4 hours driving and is probably the maximum range I can do for a weekend. =/

Or convince HAK/Cesare or another of the NYC wooters to join in a massive road trip of awesomeness

bahwm

It appears that January 28/29th seems to be the most popular weekend for those who will be traveling in January. What do you all think? Tiger will be back in the area and so will Justin. Who else is in?

tiger7610

So I just realized that I have a fencing tournament at my old club in Buffalo that saturday Jan 28th, so I will be in buffalo, but most likely not be able to join in at the ice wine trail on saturday (the tournament should be over around 2pm for me, so I might just head out to canada and maybe meet up with people along the way/for dinner. I will probably go back and do the ice wine trail on sunday if I can convince some of my friends to do it. Either way, I definetely still vote for an event this weekend (jan 28th) even if I might only be able to join in for part of it.

cheron98

bahwm wrote:It appears that January 28/29th seems to be the most popular weekend for those who will be traveling in January. What do you all think? Tiger will be back in the area and so will Justin. Who else is in?

Works for me, so long as the weather cooperates and driving isn't going to be a nightmare. I will probably stay Canada-side and not cross through to Buffalo - the fewer border crossings, the better. Likely crash at the cousins' place in Hamilton overnight.

I will see what Wendy's plans are - I know she and her beau are planning to go to the icewine festival at some point, just dunno when.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tiger7610 wrote:There are plenty of buses that go to Buffalo from NYC, and trains. I guess you could also fly, but it might be a bit dicey in Jan.

Flying might be a bit dicey, but taking the bus wouldn't be? You should try driving one of those things over snow-covered roads in the hills between NYC and Buffalo. It might be a bit dicey. I let bahwm sit in the driver's seat of my bus on a dry parking lot, and move it about 2 feet; that was enough for her.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tiger7610

ddeuddeg wrote:Flying might be a bit dicey, but taking the bus wouldn't be? You should try driving one of those things over snow-covered roads in the hills between NYC and Buffalo. It might be a bit dicey. I let bahwm sit in the driver's seat of my bus on a dry parking lot, and move it about 2 feet; that was enough for her.

Fair enough, although sometimes flights get cancelled for other reasons, other than weather. I'm just hoping for good weather, since I will be drving through the hills of Ithaca to buffalo, and that is no picnic as well

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:Fair enough, although sometimes flights get cancelled for other reasons, other than weather. I'm just hoping for good weather, since I will be drving through the hills of Ithaca to buffalo, and that is no picnic as well

Driving through Canada ain't a picnic, neither

klezman

cheron98 wrote:Driving through Canada ain't a picnic, neither

Especially that flat open boring expanse from Detroit to London to Toronto, right?

tiger7610

klezman wrote:Especially that flat open boring expanse from Detroit to London to Toronto, right?

I made that drive in the summer, and I thought I was going to tear my hair out in boredom

cheron98

klezman wrote:Especially that flat open boring expanse from Detroit to London to Toronto, right?

Oh, I go north through Sarnia. I avoid the whole Detroit thing altogether But yes, that way also has flat open boring expanse. I remember the time when tommy was driving with me and he was the one driving on the return trip. He got all excited when the road slightly curved.

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:Oh, I go north through Sarnia. I avoid the whole Detroit thing altogether But yes, that way also has flat open boring expanse. I remember the time when tommy was driving with me and he was the one driving on the return trip. He got all excited when the road slightly curved.

Speaking of tommy . . . any possibility of having the dynamic duo join us?

cheron98

bahwm wrote:Speaking of tommy . . . any possibility of having the dynamic duo join us?

Let me just put my psychic thinking cap on

I'll send him a message via non-woot channels and see.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

Had a great time up there last winter. Even if I did freeze my ears off - silly southerner thinking he had proper cold weather gear for Niagara/Buffalo area.

Thinking of trying to work my schedule to take a trip up there this time as well.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

bahwm

So, guys, what day of the week are we actually looking at here? Tiger is tied up on Sat. But others have to travel. . .

bahwm

wkdpanda wrote:Had a great time up there last winter. Even if I did freeze my ears off - silly southerner thinking he had proper cold weather gear for Niagara/Buffalo area.

Thinking of trying to work my schedule to take a trip up there this time as well.

It would be great to see you again!

tiger7610

bahwm wrote:So, guys, what day of the week are we actually looking at here? Tiger is tied up on Sat. But others have to travel. . .

As I have said, feel free to do it on saturday, I should finish up sometime mid day on saturday, so I can just head straight to canada after that, and just meet up with you guys/ meet up for dinner, so I would try to play it based on other people's availability.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I'm definitely interested in attending this festival! I should probably start looking into lodging and transportation accommodations...any suggestions?

bahwm

ajrod27 wrote:I'm definitely interested in attending this festival! I should probably start looking into lodging and transportation accommodations...any suggestions?

Hi! IIRC, didn't you join us at M-S in Healdsburg in Oct? Cool! Definitely look into flights into Buffalo. We usually do well with Southwest. Do you gave a current passport? That is needed for entry into Canada.

ajrod27

bahwm wrote:Hi! IIRC, didn't you join us at M-S in Healdsburg in Oct? Cool! Definitely look into flights into Buffalo. We usually do well with Southwest. Do you gave a current passport? That is needed for entry into Canada.

YYRC, I was there and had a great time! I do have a current passport. I'll look into Southwest. Would you recommend staying state side or Canada? Also, not sure about how the vehicle rental thing works when crossing boarders....?

bahwm

ajrod27 wrote:YYRC, I was there and had a great time! I do have a current passport. I'll look into Southwest. Would you recommend staying state side or Canada? Also, not sure about how the vehicle rental thing works when crossing boarders....?

Definitely stay stateside. It should be a lot cheaper. We can recommend a few places that are not too far away from us and then, carpool up to Canada. It makes no sense to pay additional tolls and bridge fees. At some point during the weekend we can make a stop at Niagara Falls. And, of course, there are the ever famous Buffalo Chicken Wings!

Over the weekend I'll post some links to some places to stay that aren't too far away and I'll update the first post to indicate who's coming, etc. You might want to check with klezman to find out what his plans are for flying out--I don't know how much he has looked into things.

ajrod27

bahwm wrote:Definitely stay stateside. It should be a lot cheaper. We can recommend a few places that are not too far away from us and then, carpool up to Canada. It makes no sense to pay additional tolls and bridge fees. At some point during the weekend we can make a stop at Niagara Falls. And, of course, there are the ever famous Buffalo Chicken Wings!

Over the weekend I'll post some links to some places to stay that aren't too far away and I'll update the first post to indicate who's coming, etc. You might want to check with klezman to find out what his plans are for flying out--I don't know how much he has looked into things.

Ice wine, Niagara Falls, Buffalo Wings, can't wait! Carpooling sounds like a great idea...since, ya know, Californians and snow don't mix anyways lol

I'll keep an eye out for your post's. Thanks for your help!

klezman, it sounds like you've made this trip before. Any suggestions? I'm thinking my +1 will want to fly out of LAX, but I'm not counting out SJC and SFO yet.

klezman

ajrod27 wrote:Ice wine, Niagara Falls, Buffalo Wings, can't wait! Carpooling sounds like a great idea...since, ya know, Californians and snow don't mix anyways lol

I'll keep an eye out for your post's. Thanks for your help!

klezman, it sounds like you've made this trip before. Any suggestions? I'm thinking my +1 will want to fly out of LAX, but I'm not counting out SJC and SFO yet.

All of the above are excellent - and the Falls in winter are optimal since most people avoid them I've not made this trip before, but since I'm from Toronto I've made the drive down to the icewine festival and Niagara many many times. Haven't had a true Buffalo wing in about 15 years though, although the stuff you get in Toronto is solid.

I don't yet know whether I'll be able to make it, unfortunately. Work uncertainty and the like, especially wrt departure city. Also there's my gf who may or may not be able to make it. It's currently a bit north of $400 r/t from Bay Area to BUF.

bahwm

I just updated the first post and included a few hotel links. There are many other hotels in our area but the two that I mentioned are within about 3 miles from our home. There is also a Staybridge Suites that is just down the road from the Hampton with somewhat similar rates.

Hey, cheron: There's a BW Garden Inn in Niagara-on-the-Lake with quite inexpensive rates. Of course, it's the off season up there! What was the place that you and the PolarBears stayed in near the I-190 for our first event?