2007 Lang Barbera Amador County, Oakmont Vineyards.
- Foil cap was nice and loose. Came right off. I like that, not having to get a knife out to get it off.
- Nice tight real cork. Wine had only gone about a 1/16 of an inch up the cork in 4 years.
- Let it breathe in Reidel stemless glass for about 15 minutes.
- Noticed "Since 1983" on the bottle. That's the year I graduated college, a nice start. Although, everything has pretty much gone down hill since then,.
- Seems a bit thin when I swirl it in the glass, not much in the way of legs.
- Very nice bouquet. I'm not much for describing the scents of the wine, like berries,currants, chocolate, etc. All I can tell you is that it smells like pretty good wine. I'm optimistic!
I'm sure I've had Barbera, but probably not much. I read on-line after I received the bottle that it goes well with "simple fare", so, I'm having Marie Callender's microwavable Classic Stroganoff Fresh Mixers, which, BTW, aren't really worth the effort that's involved to make them.
Here we go................ first sip................
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, very nice.
Yeah, I like this.
Forced down the last of the stroganoff. The Barbera washed it down quite nicely.
No overpowering alcohol sensation despite the 15.2% Abv.
Going out on the balcony now to enjoy the rest of the Barbera with a La Gloria Cubana cigar. I Really enjoy cigars with wine. Still waiting for http://www.cigars.woot.com
Ok, I'm not gonna have much more to say.
I LIKE IT!
Feels like a nice everyday red wine.
As the bottle says, it probably goes nicely with lots of different meals.
I would still go to my favorite Cab Sav with a nice steak, but if this shows up on wine.woot or I see it in a liquor store for a decent price, $15 -- $20, I would definitely buy it.
Thx for the LabRat opportunity!!