1 2007 Lang Wines Amador County Zinfandel – Oakmont Vineyards
1 2007 Lang Wines Amador County Barbera – Oakmont Vineyards
1 2008 Sausalito Wines Zinfandel - Amador County
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

markmckenna

quality posts: 5 Private Messages markmckenna

Hi Wooters - Lang winemaker Mark McKenna here. Can't tell you what a great little collection this is. Delicious fun wines from California's last undiscovered region - Amador County.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Labrat reports forthcoming...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

easpangler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages easpangler

Uh, did that actually say hint of bacon?

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

LABRAT REPORT

Okay, Lets start with a few disclaimers, this is my first rattage and
this is done after my sommelier class so I had tasted 24 wines prior
to this one.  I did this with my friend in the class with me and an
innocent bystander who had no clue what she was in for....

Lang 2006 Amador County Reserve zinfandel

Oh My God I got a golden ticket.... A little ray of karmic sunshine in
an otherwise dismal day...  Let it rest in the wine cooler for two
days and popped the cork.  I thought the perfect theme music to this
tasting would be the Willy Wonka Soundtrack on vinyl!!
In the glass:
The wine shows it's age with a deep purple almost opaque core with a
garnet rim. The innocent bystander subjected to this said that the
wine's color matched the label perfectly.
On the nose
It was only when I smelled this wine that I truly realized it was an
aged zinfandel!!!  So many are released and treated young to portray
their fruit flavors and few are allowed to mature to develop...
Me: Clean and free of flaws moderately intense aroma  with a
developing bouquet of dried figs and dark fruits,  you can definitely
smell the oak and the alcohol upon the first whiff...  After breathing
for a bit I was reminded of deep jammy aromas resembling the currant
jelly my grandmother made.
My classmate agreed on most of the aromas and said that it had an
aroma of dried apricots and prunes as well
The innocent bystander said it smelled of elderberries.... And like me
cause I was a fruitcake
On the palate:
Me:  Dry with medium acid and soft well matured and rounded tannins.
Initially the alcohol burn was noticeable but faded to a nice warming
sensation in the back of the mouth.  Blueberry jam with hints of cocoa
in the finish
Classmate: medium to high acidity moderate soft tannins currants were
noticeable.  After the alcohol faded notes of dried cherries appeared.
Innocent Bystander:  Hint of sweetness very soft tannins and
reminiscent of the dried fruit her grandmother put in her oatmeal...
And some wine in my face after a bad joke comparing the tannins to her
body.
Conclusion:
AMAZING Let this decant for a bit so that the alcohol softens.  Drink
now and you might be able to put this down for another 2 years tops.
I will definitely be buying, a wine maker with the .... to put out an
aged zinfandel!!!!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

LABRAT REPORT

2007 Lang Barbera Amador County, Oakmont Vineyards.

- Foil cap was nice and loose.  Came right off.  I like that, not having to get a knife out to get it off.

- Nice tight real cork.  Wine had only gone about a 1/16 of an inch up the cork in 4 years.

- Let it breathe in Reidel stemless glass for about 15 minutes.

- Noticed "Since 1983" on the bottle.  That's the year I graduated college, a nice start.  Although, everything has pretty much gone down hill since then,.

- Seems a bit thin when I swirl it in the glass, not much in the way of legs.

- Very nice bouquet.  I'm not much for describing the scents of the wine, like berries,currants, chocolate, etc.  All I can tell you is that it smells like pretty good wine.  I'm optimistic!

I'm sure I've had Barbera, but probably not much.  I read on-line after I received the bottle that it goes well with "simple fare", so, I'm having Marie Callender's microwavable Classic Stroganoff Fresh Mixers, which, BTW, aren't really worth the effort that's involved to make them.

Here we go................ first sip................
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, very nice.
More sips......
Yeah, I like this.
Forced down the last of the stroganoff.  The Barbera washed it down quite nicely.
No overpowering alcohol sensation despite the 15.2% Abv.

Going out on the balcony now to enjoy the rest of the Barbera with a La Gloria Cubana cigar.  I Really enjoy cigars with wine.  Still waiting for http://www.cigars.woot.com

Ok, I'm not gonna have much more to say.
I LIKE IT!
Feels like a nice everyday red wine.
As the bottle says, it probably goes nicely with lots of different meals.
I would still go to my favorite Cab Sav with a nice steak, but if this shows up on wine.woot or I see it in a liquor store for a decent price, $15 -- $20, I would definitely buy it.
Thx for the LabRat opportunity!!

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

Hi, are the grapes grown organically?

markmckenna

easpangler wrote:Uh, did that actually say hint of bacon?

Is there anything better than the smell of bacon in the morning? Indeed there is, good high country Zin with just a kiss of French Oak can give the same impression.

dawgdave99

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dawgdave99

Sweet, a Barbera! Too bad it's wrapped in three bottles of Zin.

I actually like Zin a lot but sheesh... I'm swimming in the stuff, thanks to wine.zin.woot!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

LABRAT REPORT

"Imagine my delight when the FedEx man turned up at my door with a bottle of Zinfandel yesterday morning. I generally prefer to let wine shipments sit for a week or so before I dig in - shipping can really unsettle a bottle. But since it was my duty to report back to you all, I opened the bottle to enjoy a glass while I made dinner.

The bottle itself is a screw top and the back label doesn't describe the wine, opting instead to detail the artwork on the front of the bottle. Incidentally it's by an Environmental Artist, George Sumner and is entitled, "Sail Away." The image itself is beautiful. I wish the front label was larger though, as the gov't warning section takes up 1/4 of it. Or better, make the gov't warning part of the back label.

Anyway on to my review of the wine itself. I obviously wanted to love this wine, but, at the risk of never being a labrat again, it just wasn't for me.  I love all kinds of wines but my favorite zins are big and juicy with plenty of spicy notes. I opened the bottle and tasted immediately, waited about an hour and tried it again, then tried it with dinner. I kept hoping the sharp edge would smooth out. I don't mind wine with a high alcohol content. But in this case, I think the 14.9% tastes pretty hot all the way through. The label doesn't designate any other varietal but it has some interesting smokiness on the finish. This isn't a boring wine and maybe a little cellaring would be worthwhile; I'd be interested to hear what the winemaker suggests. Bottom line, if you're into a big zin with some bold flavor, this one could be for you! Cheers!"

Nate650

markmckenna wrote:Is there anything better tan the smell of bacon in the morning? Indeed there is, good high country Zin with just a kiss of French Oak can give the same impression.

I don't know, I'd put some good quality freshly ground coffee above that.

ablickle

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ablickle
easpangler wrote:Uh, did that actually say hint of bacon?

In for one, just for the bacon tasting wine...

markmckenna

Nate650 wrote:Hi, are the grapes grown organically?

Not entirely, our larger focus is Sustainability. We try to strike the delicate balance between idealistic and artistic, with just a dash of old school farmer's instinct.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

markmckenna wrote:Hi Wooters - Lang winemaker Mark McKenna here. Can't tell you what a great little collection this is. Delicious fun wines from California's last undiscovered region - Amador County.

Hi Mark- thanks for staying up late and hanging out with us...

How are things up in Amador County? How is harvest going?

szecsei

quality posts: 8 Private Messages szecsei

i took the plunge. i don't have much by way of zins, and i'll look forward to opening it at my next gathering. i'm not sure if i'll ever be bold enough to be the first sucker at an offer...

Lang Wines Red - 4 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: TimmBuck2
Speed to first woot: 0m 50.697s
Last wooter to woot: szecsei

markmckenna

dawgdave99 wrote:Sweet, a Barbera! Too bad it's wrapped in three bottles of Zin.

I actually like Zin a lot but sheesh... I'm swimming in the stuff, thanks to wine.zin.woot!

It's worth it....that particular Barbera was an incredible vintage and as far as the Zin problem goes, here comes Thanksgiving! Perfect wine for the bird and the Family

Nate650

Weirdly, I happened to crack open a bottle also from Amador County this evening (2006 Scott Harvey Zinfandel Old Vine Reserve).

heatherleigh75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages heatherleigh75

Sooooo excited to see Lang Wines on winewoot!!! I put my order in; now just waiting for delivery!!! Awesome Amador County old-school REAL winemaking!!!

langwine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages langwine

Hi late-night Wooters; Bob Lang here. We're the owners, founders (and bill payers)of Lang Wines. Marsha & I have been riding (or trying to)this comet of a business for 28-years, but it's like a long-running play; every year is like opening night...we're still beginners. The 4-wines in this offering are an excellent intro to our red wines. We strive to put the vineyard owner's pride of place in the bottle. Thanks to Mark McKenna, so far, so good.

markmckenna

neilfindswine wrote:Hi Mark- thanks for staying up late and hanging out with us...

How are things up in Amador County? How is harvest going?

Wild and wooly my friend. Toughest decision making year in the 16 Ive been at it. That said we've had a ball (and a few after work beers) but I'm thinking this might be the best year for the Foothills since 02.

marinccgal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marinccgal

I have been fortunate to have tasted the Lang 2007 Zin and love the fruit in it. It is an easy drinking, everyday sipping kind of wine.

markmckenna

heatherleigh75 wrote:Sooooo excited to see Lang Wines on winewoot!!! I put my order in; now just waiting for delivery!!! Awesome Amador County old-school REAL winemaking!!!

No doubt that the most exciting wines in CA are hanging out in The County.

markmckenna

Nate650 wrote:Weirdly, I happened to crack open a bottle also from Amador County this evening (2006 Scott Harvey Zinfandel Old Vine Reserve).

Scott is an Amador icon and collaborator. Some of his work with Terri Harvey's Grandpere vineyard has been inspiring.

mursecrna

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mursecrna
langwine wrote:Hi late-night Wooters; Bob Lang here. We're the owners, founders (and bill payers)of Lang Wines. Marsha & I have been riding (or trying to)this comet of a business for 28-years, but it's like a long-running play; every year is like opening night...we're still beginners. The 4-wines in this offering are an excellent intro to our red wines. We strive to put the vineyard owner's pride of place in the bottle. Thanks to Mark McKenna, so far, so good.

Hi Bob, thanks for your participation and the nice 4-pack of wines. We love both zins and barbera. We ordered a set. Looking forward to trying your wines and seeing them(and some of your other wines) offered again on woot. On behalf of everyone from New Hampshire, thank you for shipping to our state.

Cheers!

Mark

markmckenna

marinccgal wrote:I have been fortunate to have tasted the Lang 2007 Zin and love the fruit in it. It is an easy drinking, everyday sipping kind of wine.

Truly is. We refer to it as Northern California's house wine!

Igannon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Igannon

Went in for 1.

Are any of these worth laying down for a bit, or are they best to drink in the near future?

dawgdave99

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dawgdave99
markmckenna wrote:It's worth it....that particular Barbera was an incredible vintage and as far as the Zin problem goes, here comes Thanksgiving! Perfect wine for the bird and the Family

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I didn't realize you were here or I probably wouldn't have posted that comment, haha. I usually try to refrain from being a smart-ass if the winemaker is present, just out of respect and appreciation for their (your) participation (which is my favorite part of the wine.woot experience)!

That said, I have to admit that the '06 Reserve and '07 Amador Zins seem like they would be right up my alley and of course I want that Barbera! I'm in for one and will consider the Sausalito Zin as a throw-in and just enjoy the pretty label.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

markmckenna wrote:Wild and wooly my friend. Toughest decision making year in the 16 Ive been at it. That said we've had a ball (and a few after work beers) but I'm thinking this might be the best year for the Foothills since 02.

I always get a kick out of the fact that most winemakers I meet, in the process of making wines that I love, consume large quantities of beer. I mean, it makes sense, but I find it amusing nonetheless...

markmckenna

Igannon wrote:Went in for 1.

Are any of these worth laying down for a bit, or are they best to drink in the near future?

Drink now or drink later with this package. The Zin ins just starting to hit it's stride and the Reserve Zin deserves at least another six months of cutting before I'd wake it up!

shiftkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shiftkey

Was hoping to see some Barbera, and I've yet to acquaint myself with Zinfandel. I couldn't ask for a more tempting set (except with maybe a second bottle of Barbera).

markmckenna

neilfindswine wrote:I always get a kick out of the fact that most winemakers I meet, in the process of making wines that I love, consume large quantities of beer. I mean, it makes sense, but I find it amusing nonetheless...

Frankly it comes back to think, think, drink. We obsess about wine all day. A cool brew at 5 is always welcome. Come join us sometime!

markmckenna

shiftkey wrote:Was hoping to see some Barbera, and I've yet to acquaint myself with Zinfandel. I couldn't ask for a more tempting set (except with maybe a second bottle of Barbera).

Serve the Zin to the fam and keep the Barbera stashed for yourself. That's at least how we handle turducken Day!

langwine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages langwine
shiftkey wrote:Was hoping to see some Barbera, and I've yet to acquaint myself with Zinfandel. I couldn't ask for a more tempting set (except with maybe a second bottle of Barbera).

If you haven't yet had a Zinfandel experience, I have two comments; (1)You're in for an exquisite defining wine moment, and (2)How and why have you waited so long? Our 2007 Zinfandel, awarded two gold medals, woulsd be starting at the top.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

markmckenna wrote:Frankly it comes back to think, think, drink. We obsess about wine all day. A cool brew at 5 is always welcome. Come join us sometime!

I will! I swung through and visited some Placerville area wineries a couple of weeks ago, but a tight schedule prevented me from more winery visits. Next time!

markmckenna

neilfindswine wrote:I will! I swung through and visited some Placerville area wineries a couple of weeks ago, but a tight schedule prevented me from more winery visits. Next time!

Amador will knock your socks off!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
neilfindswine wrote:I will! I swung through and visited some Placerville area wineries a couple of weeks ago, but a tight schedule prevented me from more winery visits. Next time!

I live in the sacramento area. Will have to swing by amador county one of these days soon.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

How do the zins compare to either Scott's Reserve Amador Zin or the Vineyard 1869/Old Grandpere Zin he makes? Also, what's your stylistic aim when making these wines?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kokon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kokon

First-time lab rat here giving it my best shot with a bottle of Lang Winery 2007 Zinfandel. I’ve wondered for a while how it would feel to find a small box at my door that could only contain a free bottle of wine – and tonight I found out. It’s a nice feeling! It was a surprise so I didn’t plan a meal that I thought would be a good pairing, we had only quickly prepared pot stickers and Caesar salad, our usual fare after my daughter’s weekly piano lesson.

After about 15 minutes from popping the cork and pouring through the Vinturi, my first impression of the nose was fruit and oak. Color was a deep garnet. I was hoping against hope it would not be a raisiny, “jammy” Zinfandel, which I despise. My fears were calmed after my first taste – not at all raisiny and not too much oak, but with a silky yet substantial mouthfeel. The flavors which first came to mind were vanilla, raspberry and chocolate. This is a well-balanced wine. My wife thought it was on the hot side but I don’t share that opinion. I was anticipating black pepper but didn’t get this.

This is a good food wine. The soft tannins cut through the olive oil and garlic of the Caesar salad and the saltiness of the Parmesan cheese and soy sauce/pot stickers. Very enjoyable all by itself too.

For dessert, leftover Halloween candy also went well with the Lang Zinfandel, but I’ve never had a red wine that didn’t go well with even half-decent chocolate.

Two hours after opening and pouring a new glass, I’m getting hints of tobacco and clove. My first impressions were of an enjoyable but not that complex wine; now there are other nuances coming out. Even having just received the Wellington Zinfandel, it will be difficult to pass up this. Hope this report helps any fence-sitters with their decision.

shiftkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shiftkey
langwine wrote:If you haven't yet had a Zinfandel experience, I have two comments; (1)You're in for an exquisite defining wine moment,

Sounds great! Makes the two week wait all the more anxious.

langwine wrote:and (2)How and why have you waited so long? Our 2007 Zinfandel, awarded two gold medals, woulsd be starting at the top.

I am but a lowly college student who only recently got into wine about a year ago, relying on the fine folks at wine.woot to guide my blind hand. Somehow I got attached to Cabernet Sauvignon, and just haven't gotten to trying a Zin yet. But you've convinced me! Can't wait!