iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

In keeping with tradition, our nation's great holiday will be followed by a relaxed evening of wine, food, wine, friends, and wine.

Date: Friday, November 25, 2011
Time: 7 pm
Host: InShadows
Theme: Whattaya got?

Bring Thanksgiving leftovers or something you would have liked to have had at Thanksgiving and a T-day ready wine.

Rieslings, Rosés, and Pinots are generally the go-to wines for versatility, but if I know this group, we'll have some special treats and out-of-the-box (or perhaps in the box) thinking. Let's go!

Attending:
iByron +1
cjsiege +1
InShadows
hershelk
sukeiasa
amreli +1

Maybe:
The Lighters
bszmajda

Regrets:

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter

Date: Friday, November 25, 2011

Host: TBD

Still too soon for us to host. Will have space and amenities in the future, but currently the condo looks like the final scene in "Lost Ark"

Maybe: He and She Lighter.

Again, life continues weirdly in terms of planning anything beyond today.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Goodness, iB! You aren't anxious or anything, are you? Yes, yes. Annual tradition and all that...

I'm a maybe at this point. Pending work schedule. Bleh! I will update as my calendar becomes clear.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

Oh yay! I'm going to go ahead and say "maybe" but leaning towards "yes!" I'm pretty sure I have to work that day, so I'd only be available for an evening gathering. It would be me and the husband, but probably not the squirt (have there been kids at these things in the past?).

cjsiege

amreli wrote:Oh yay! I'm going to go ahead and say "maybe" but leaning towards "yes!" I'm pretty sure I have to work that day, so I'd only be available for an evening gathering. It would be me and the husband, but probably not the squirt (have there been kids at these things in the past?).

We tend to be an adult gathering. Most of our hosts don't have children in the house, so the homes aren't exactly kid-friendly. It's better to call in the sitter and not spend the entire evening worrying what the kids have gotten into.

amreli

cjsiege wrote:We tend to be an adult gathering. Most of our hosts don't have children in the house, so the homes aren't exactly kid-friendly. It's better to call in the sitter and not spend the entire evening worrying what the kids have gotten into.

I figured that was likely, especially since the main purpose of these gatherings is wine.

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

Were going to try again! Sorry we missed the last 4. :-( trying are hardest to come see all of you again.

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
Alaska1 wrote:Were going to try again! Sorry we missed the last 4. :-( trying are hardest to come see all of you again.

Does this mean you both are coming? Maybes?

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1
CpprCr8 wrote:Does this mean you both are coming? Maybes?

:P

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

cjsiege

*bump*

Now that it's November... what's the collective interest level? Is anyone willing to host? Please start speaking up. Thanks!

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
cjsiege wrote:*bump*

Now that it's November... what's the collective interest level? Is anyone willing to host? Please start speaking up. Thanks!

I'll be there or here wherever it may be. If it does end up at my place ppl can do their black friday shopping at Potomac Mills mall and then head on over to the house afterwards. That is if people still do black friday shopping in person and don't wait for cyber monday. I also have a wine already picked out in my mind.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609

I'll be headed north to visit family and friends for the entire weekend (and, of course, bringing wine). Sorry I won't be able to join you.

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

I have another event the same day, but I think it may be earlier so I will try to come after. Do we have a host yet?

CT

cjsiege

InShadows has volunteered to host. He is down south...altho' not as far as I am. If someone closer to the beltway would like to volunteer, I don't think InShadows would mind terribly.

And I'm +1 for this event. Ms. L is back in for her first GTG since the baby!

Paging iB! Your presence is requested at the top for updates please!

amreli

cjsiege wrote:InShadows has volunteered to host. He is down south...altho' not as far as I am. If someone closer to the beltway would like to volunteer, I don't think InShadows would mind terribly.

Still working on childcare for the evening, though we shouldn't really have a problem finding something. I'd offer to host but since I'm working that day, don't think it'd be a good idea.

bszmajda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bszmajda

We would like to join this gathering. It's nice some wines ship to MD, now, and I no longer have to go to my friend's business in NoVA to get them. So we go there for a NoVA/DC(MD?) leftover tasting. We'd like to host in Bowie, MD sometime soon--but we'll still have a leftover crowd in the house next weekend.

iByron

cjsiege wrote:
Paging iB! Your presence is requested at the top for updates please!

Everytime I try to edit the post I get the "something went wrong" error. I'll try again later tonight.

Your Private WIneaux

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
iByron wrote:Everytime I try to edit the post I get the "something went wrong" error. I'll try again later tonight.

If you take out 1/2 symbol and switch it for regular text in the title you'll be able to edit the first post ;)

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
cjsiege wrote:We tend to be an adult gathering. Most of our hosts don't have children in the house, so the homes aren't exactly kid-friendly. It's better to call in the sitter and not spend the entire evening worrying what the kids have gotten into.

Funny story about that... We were about to leave for the NYC tasting this weekend, and our three-year-old was begging to come with us. We told him he wouldn't have fun, that it would just be a bunch of grown-ups drinking wine (he knows he doesn't drink wine). He pondered this for a second and then said, smiling at his brilliant solution, "I can bring my milk!"

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mikegberg wrote:He pondered this for a second and then said, smiling at his brilliant solution, "I can bring my milk!"

That's pretty adorable.

I'm just hanging out, really.

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

It looks like my other thing will be earlier in the day, so I should be able to come by sometime soon after 8. I may have to catch up on the drinking when I get there. Are we on for InShadows place?

CT

cjsiege

hershelk wrote:It looks like my other thing will be earlier in the day, so I should be able to come by sometime soon after 8. I may have to catch up on the drinking when I get there. Are we on for InShadows place?

I think we are a "go" for InShadows place. We're going strictly informal for this one, so drop by as soon as you can.

I have absolutely NO idea what I am bringing. Only that I am +1. Guess that's kind of the point of this being a leftovers GTG. My opening argument will be a Vernaccia and maybe some stuffin' muffins.

InShadows

cjsiege wrote:I think we are a "go" for InShadows place. We're going strictly informal for this one, so drop by as soon as you can.

I have absolutely NO idea what I am bringing. Only that I am +1. Guess that's kind of the point of this being a leftovers GTG. My opening argument will be a Vernaccia and maybe some stuffin' muffins.

Okay shall we have a start time of 7pm but I'll be home the entire day and watching whatever is on the tv. if you don't know where I live, just send me a pm and I'll send you back one with the address.

I have turkey, stuffing, and potatoes ready to go. Not a whole lot but enough for a few ppl, unless I eat the turkey via turkey sandwiches from now until then. *gulp* one down.

For wine I'll play it by ear as to what other people are bringing since my stash is just a stairwell away. Are we getting updates to the top post?

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

iByron

Lead post updated.

Hopefully I can pick up my Beaujo on the way down. Perfect T-day wine!

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

i might be a maybe... this whole weekend is a clusterF for me... i still have the unopened bottles from the last gathering... maybe that would be my 'leftovers'

now if i can only find my phone...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

amreli

Husband and I are definitely in, kiddo's staying at his aunt's house. I have a caramel-apple-nut pie that I can bake and I'll probably also bring some left-over tofurkey since I'm veggie (but hubby isn't). For wine, no clue...

Also, since I'm new, where am I going?

InShadows

amreli wrote:Husband and I are definitely in, kiddo's staying at his aunt's house. I have a caramel-apple-nut pie that I can bake and I'll probably also bring some left-over tofurkey since I'm veggie (but hubby isn't). For wine, no clue...

Also, since I'm new, where am I going?

you have a PM

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

amreli wrote:Husband and I are definitely in, kiddo's staying at his aunt's house. I have a caramel-apple-nut pie that I can bake and I'll probably also bring some left-over tofurkey since I'm veggie (but hubby isn't). For wine, no clue...

Just bring something that goes well with the food, and all will be stellar! (even if you need to stop along the way to find something) Oh, and be sure to bring a couple of wine glasses for the both of you.

I've got stuffin' muffins (unless someone tells me to bring something else), and I've got pumpkin custards. Vernaccia is a go, and maybe a late harvest viognier to go with the custards.

iByron

I am making a corn pudding. Anthony couldn't make this so I'm dragging along my friend Michael, who cooked dinner today for a crowd, so will likely have some goodies as well.

The wines will be:

NV Duplin Winery Brice's Creek (North Carolina)
2008 Hansen-Lauer Brut Sekt (Germany, Mosel)
and if I can get downtown beforehand,
2011 Joseph Drouhin Beaujolais Nouveau

iByron

PS -- I need a PM with an address, please.

Your Private WIneaux

sukeiasa

just realized that the start time is 7pm, but i don't get off work until at least 630, so i will be late...

since i did not cook for turkey day, i will bring a couple of bottles of wine...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

iByron

+1 had to bail so it's just me. Not bringing the Sekt since that was to accompany his contribution.

The Beaujo will be Jean Claude Debeaune.

See you in a bit!

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

Wow! For a GTG that was looking to be small, we had a great turnout! It was wonderful to meet amreli (and +1) and bszmajda (and +1)! I hope you will all be back again! While iByron still holds the record for farthest traveled, the bszmajdas are certainly the farthest "locals"!

Lovely wines that just kept coming as the evening wore on! Hopefully InShadows will be able to post a full rundown soon.

Thank you, InShadows, for opening your home to us!

Thank you, w.w crew, for the great assortment of cheeses, chocolates, and jerky! The creaming monkey keychain went to the wine of the night - a lovely Bordeaux brought by amreli. The wine diapers went home with a couple of folks who travel on a regular basis.

A delicious evening all around!

amreli

And an update on the Bordeaux (2005 Chateau Coucy, Montagne-Saint Emilion)...it was a Trader Joe's find ($14.99!). Unfortunately, they didn't have any when I went by today, at least not at the one where it was purchased, so the search is on...

cjsiege

As a total footnote, i went out to a couple of the Charlottesville wineries today. They said the 2011 harvest was devastated by the rain in August & Sept - which is what I feared. At least one winery had nearly all the PV wiped out. So, don't be looking for much coming out from the 2011 vintage.

Fortunately, the 2009 and 2010 vintages were excellent. Stock up while the getting is good. The 2010s and the 2009 Reserves are now hitting the tasting rooms.

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
cjsiege wrote:As a total footnote, i went out to a couple of the Charlottesville wineries today. They said the 2011 harvest was devastated by the rain in August & Sept - which is what I feared. At least one winery had nearly all the PV wiped out. So, don't be looking for much coming out from the 2011 vintage.

Fortunately, the 2009 and 2010 vintages were excellent. Stock up while the getting is good. The 2010s and the 2009 Reserves are now hitting the tasting rooms.

Thanks for the tip!

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

sukeiasa

is there a list of all the wines tasted that night?

InShadows

sukeiasa wrote:is there a list of all the wines tasted that night?

patience.. patience..

pictures are posted here. Names and links to CT are being updated momentarily and should be done by 1400 today. There's no order to them since we drank them really in no particular order. If I got a vintage wrong let me know. The one I'm not sure on is 2009 Jacuzzi Family Vineyard Gilia's Vernaccia.

Also, someone left something at the house. First one to correctly identify what it is, wins it!

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
cjsiege wrote:Wow! For a GTG that was looking to be small, we had a great turnout! It was wonderful to meet amreli (and +1) and bszmajda (and +1)! I hope you will all be back again! While iByron still holds the record for farthest traveled, the bszmajdas are certainly the farthest "locals"!

Lovely wines that just kept coming as the evening wore on! Hopefully InShadows will be able to post a full rundown soon.

Thank you, InShadows, for opening your home to us!

Thank you, w.w crew, for the great assortment of cheeses, chocolates, and jerky! The creaming monkey keychain went to the wine of the night - a lovely Bordeaux brought by amreli. The wine diapers went home with a couple of folks who travel on a regular basis.

A delicious evening all around!

We were so sad to miss it. We were in the area, but at a wedding rehearsal dinner. Glad everyone had a good time!

InShadows

If anyone is interested I have a case of the 2009 François Chidaine Vouvray Le Bouchet we had. It's not the 2008 but the most recent year. Let me know if you would like some.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings