PRODUCT: 6 Sextant Wines Central Coast 2008 Zinfandel
CT link above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Shyrik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shyrik

$16.00 + ship on the winery website

any comments about this wine?

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

I am pretty sure you can pick this up at Costco in the bay area, if you wanted to try one before buying 6.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

So, given there are six of these and it's called Sextant, this has to be a Latin conundrum. Why are there six 'tant's? And what does this apparently Latin word 'tant' mean?

JCamp4321

quality posts: 9 Private Messages JCamp4321

$62 plus $7 shipping yields $69...

... ooh, la-la! my favorite!

Plus the photo with one bottle upright and the rest upside down provides the perfect subliminal reinforcement of this mutually satisfying SEXtant Zin...

Coincidence? I think not!... :-)

HAMMER TIME!!!

JCamp4321

quality posts: 9 Private Messages JCamp4321
richardhod wrote:So, given there are six of these and it's called Sextant, this has to be a Latin conundrum. Why are there six 'tant's? And what does this apparently Latin word 'tant' mean?

Abbreviated from Sex - taint, hence the $69 price w/shipping...

HAMMER TIME!!!

sanfransoxfan04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sanfransoxfan04

I've never purchased wine on woot before, and don't plan to buy this one...but Others should.
I tasted the 08 Central Coast at the ZAP (Zinfandel Advocates & Producers) Festival on Tasted at Zin Festival at Fort Mason SF 1/30/2010.
One of the best values out there. Slightly one dimensional, good fruit but balanced, very drinkable. This was one of the more noteworthy Zins of the 60 or so I tried that day because of its PQR.

I now have some in my cellar but I paid $15+ tax at K&L.

cmassey74205

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmassey74205

I live nearby the winery and this is one of my favorite Zins. It's well priced and I drink it by the gallon. Sextant's pricier Weelhouse Zin is tied for my absolute favorite (with Norman Monster). This is a superb wine for it's price. My problem is that the wine is the same price in the local grocery store as it is here on woot, so I will pass. However, if you are not a Central Coast resident, this is a MUST BUY.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

A little birdie told me that our favorite Wine.Woot honcho (WD!) will be on an Internet radio program on Saturday, Noon to 1:00 p.m. (CDT) on Newsradio 1330AM KNSS (Kansas).

Watch LIVE in-studio video of The Good Life with Guy Bower via Ustream.com

Saturday Noon-1:00 p.m. CDT – watch live

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
sanfransoxfan04 wrote:I've never purchased wine on woot before, and don't plan to buy this one...but Others should.

Quite the ringing endorsement

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

drameden

quality posts: 3 Private Messages drameden
spdrcr05 wrote:Quite the ringing endorsement

Perfect example of a quote taken out of context. The poster went on to say he had tasted this wine, had like it and had purchased this wine. That is a ringing endorsement for the wine. He just doesn't buy any wine from woot.

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Well I'm a huge fan of the Chronicle Zin (sold here on 5/2) as it's quite tasty and pairs awesome with BBQ and other summer foods. These are rated similar - 87 or 88 pts on CT. However, tasting notes on CT are somewhat limited for this.

Has anyone out there tried both? And could you offer a comparison? Thanks!

I assume we'll also be seeing some Lab Rat reports later today...

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

bluefish0124

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluefish0124

1 case for me please. Thanks Woot.
i'll drink 1 and hold the other 11 for a while.

love the comments.

One Fish Two Fish: Redfish----you get the idea!

flowerchild59

quality posts: 23 Private Messages flowerchild59

I live in bodunk southern illinois with, shall I say, limited wine choices at the liquor stores. I love wine woot. I get to purchase and try different wines from so many different regions. This sounds like a splendid wine.

On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.

mrsstjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsstjohn

No shipping to Wyoming. Sad for me. Hope everyone else enjoys it! :P

hokienutzz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hokienutzz

so I'm guessing that I can't get this particular wine shipped to D.C.? Bummer.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa
flowerchild59 wrote:I live in bodunk southern illinois with, shall I say, limited wine choices at the liquor stores. I love wine woot. I get to purchase and try different wines from so many different regions. This sounds like a splendid wine.

if you'd just go up north a bit to chicago, john hart has one of the finest collection around... google john hard fine wine.

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Sucker for Zin, woulda bought without the kudos here. In for a sixer.

jcrites

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcrites
richardhod wrote:So, given there are six of these and it's called Sextant, this has to be a Latin conundrum. Why are there six 'tant's? And what does this apparently Latin word 'tant' mean?

Maybe Craig and Nancy are into maritime activities?

On a wine related note, these sell for $16/bottle on their site with $32 shipping. If it's a decent drinker, this is a good deal.

svwindom

quality posts: 9 Private Messages svwindom

A sextant is an old-fashioned navigational instrument, silly! This is clearly the "old vine" version of the GPS Wines zinfandel!

I'm tempted. Thinking about it. I've almost run out of inexpensive daily drinkers.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

...waiting for the rats on this one... or one of the folks above who could provide some notes?

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

I've purchased a case and a half of the 2007 Sextant Wheelhouse Zin (every bottle I could get my hands on!). To sum up the 2007 Wheelhouse, I'd say "Jammy".

It's a great Zinfandel, Ripe and Jammy, with soft notes of raspberries and cherries, closing with dark chocolate. A very smooth wine with great depth and a nice finish.

I'd be interested in hearing from the Winemaker as to the difference between this and the Wheelhouse.

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Also still waiting for the rats.

However, I did a little digging...

Just Wine Points (not familiar with this site myself) gives it a 98. That seems quite high compared to CT and others, but it's there nonetheless.
http://www.justwinepoints.com/zinfandel.htm

Looks like it won a Silver at the 2011 San Fran Wine Competition.
http://winejudging.com/medal_winners_2011/awards_by_winery.php

Rated in the "around 8.5" (out of 10?) at this year's Zinfandel Advocates and Producers Festival.
http://www.leonhardtvineyards.com/blog.php?n=1&p=000005

Bronze Medal at the 2011 Central Coast Wine Competition.
http://centralcoastwinecomp.com/2011-results-2/

Not much out there... so, yes, tasting notes from anyone would be much appreciated!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

C'mon richard, 'sextant', 'wheelhouse'.... You are English. Hints: Hearts of Oak. Britannia Rules the Waves. We don't want to fight, but by Jingo if we do, we've got the men, we've got the ships, we've got the money, too! England expects that every man will do his duty!

Think back to your junior sailing celestial navigation class:

sextant: an instrument for determining latitude, 1620s, from Mod.L. sextans, said to have been coined c.1600 by Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, from L. sextans "a sixth," from sex "six" (see six). So called because the sextans has a graduated arc equal to a sixth part of a circle.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

If it's jammy, I am in. Rats? Winery?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chatsextant

quality posts: 25 Private Messages chatsextant
trifecta wrote:I am pretty sure you can pick this up at Costco in the bay area, if you wanted to try one before buying 6.

Good morning! Our 2008 Wheelhouse Zinfandel can be found at Costco. We are sold out of this vintage at the winery and are moving into the 2009 Wheelhouse Zinfandel shortly- so if you are a fan of the 08 WH...buy it while you still can!

dynersooner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dynersooner
chatsextant wrote:Good morning! Our 2008 Wheelhouse Zinfandel can be found at Costco. We are sold out of this vintage at the winery and are moving into the 2009 Wheelhouse Zinfandel shortly- so if you are a fan of the 08 WH...buy it while you still can!

who is this chats extant? do you all think they work for the winery???

Elvis Random 4 pack (lots) | Rasmussen PS (lots) | Parker Station Quartet (some) | Poizin Zinfandel Trio (few) | G Saké (few) | Helix by Reininger Quartet (some) | 2004 Highway 12 Cab Blend Trio (some) | Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio (lots) | FFC Reserve 2005 Pinot Noir (lots) | Mosaic White Quartet (some) | Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio (some) | Wellington Cab Collecton Trio + 1 (some) | Fife Redwood Valley Trio (lots) | Chaucer Mead (some) | Mosaic Meritage (lots)

chatsextant

kylemittskus wrote:If it's jammy, I am in. Rats? Winery?

We pride ourself in keeping our Zinfandels balanced. You'll notice that our Zinfandels are not hot, spicy, over the top jammy- but simply balanced. We really let the fruit speak for itself and we don't let it over ripe to let it get that Port-type typical Zin.

Our 2008 Central Coast Zinfandel is fruity but soft and round in the mouth. It really has a nice subtle spice tone that helps to add a bit of detail. I call this my quaffing wine!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chatsextant wrote:We pride ourself in keeping our Zinfandels balanced. You'll notice that our Zinfandels are not hot, spicy, over the top jammy- but simply balanced. We really let the fruit speak for itself and we don't let it over ripe to let it get that Port-type typical Zin.

Our 2008 Central Coast Zinfandel is fruity but soft and round in the mouth. It really has a nice subtle spice tone that helps to add a bit of detail. I call this my quaffing wine!

Sad. No buy from me. I am looking for bomby zins these days.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

gastrognome

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gastrognome
flowerchild59 wrote:I live in bodunk southern illinois with, shall I say, limited wine choices at the liquor stores. I love wine woot. I get to purchase and try different wines from so many different regions. This sounds like a splendid wine.

I live in bodunk southern illinois too! Let's have a wine.woot party!

Looks like I'm in for one of these, based on the comments. Thanks all!

chatsextant

Hi everyone! I'm Ashlie and I work closely with Nancy & Craig Stoller (Proprietors) and Brad Roberts (Director of National Sales) on all distribution and sales for the winery. I will be your direct supplier contact for Sextant -(Nancy & Craig are close by) so please reach out to me with any inquiries or questions and I will do my best to answer them throughout the day/weekend.

beccabeka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beccabeka
cmassey74205 wrote:I live nearby the winery and this is one of my favorite Zins. It's well priced and I drink it by the gallon. Sextant's pricier Weelhouse Zin is tied for my absolute favorite (with Norman Monster). This is a superb wine for it's price. My problem is that the wine is the same price in the local grocery store as it is here on woot, so I will pass. However, if you are not a Central Coast resident, this is a MUST BUY.

Enough info for me! I'm in for one...

chatsextant

kylemittskus wrote:Sad. No buy from me. I am looking for bomby zins these days.

Try our 2007 Sextant Holystone Zinfandel then. Nicely balanced with lots of fruit on the palate that shows good complexity. Definitely a bold and jammy/fruit-forward Zin that would perhaps be right up your alley.

chatsextant

threemoons wrote:Sucker for Zin, woulda bought without the kudos here. In for a sixer.

Fantastic! Enjoy!

deneyr83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deneyr83

What would you recommend pairing this wine with?

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl
chatsextant wrote:Try our 2007 Sextant Holystone Zinfandel then. Nicely balanced with lots of fruit on the palate that shows good complexity. Definitely a bold and jammy/fruit-forward Zin that would perhaps be right up your alley.

Can you give a brief explanation as to the difference between this offering, the Holystone and the Wheelhouse?

rxmurphy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxmurphy

What is the drinking window on this wine please?

jamesn00

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jamesn00

Golden Ticket has just arrived.

I have a beef stew in the slow cooker. I imagine this will work quite nicely with that this evening.

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
hokienutzz wrote:so I'm guessing that I can't get this particular wine shipped to D.C.? Bummer.

PM for you re. possible WootLeg if you're interested

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer