1 16 oz Finca El Injerto Coffee
1 16 oz Finca Herbazu Coffee

Product website

Facebook
Twitter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

selquest

quality posts: 3 Private Messages selquest

A whole wootoff of wines and not a Maryland shipper to be found

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

My current pound is getting pretty low... I'm ready to be sold on these. Tell us tasty things! All the tasty things!

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

dredgman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dredgman

Why would you sell this much coffee together? There's no way to use all of this before it goes bad, unless you throw a coffee party daily or own a cafe.

Coffee tends to go bad within a week or two of roasting.

Most Recent Woots:
Sandisk 512MB Ultra II SD Plus w/USB – 2-Pack
T-Shirt: Sea Chimp
T-Shirt: The Rustic
T-Shirts: Dead Heat

terrenceistheman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages terrenceistheman

just finished my last bag of thanksgiving day this week. perfect timing. dont know anything about this brand, but havent gotten a bad bag from wine.woot in the past. in for three.. or is that twelve?

ericshmerick

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ericshmerick

Are these whole beans or ground?

If they are ground, they are useless to me since I use a French Press..

pjhad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pjhad

It's an honor to be the First Sucker. Good timing too, I am just about out of the Thanksgiving Day I got so long ago. Now how to brew it? French Press? French Pull? Vacuum? Regular Drip? Percolator? So many wonderful ways.

cwf202ap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cwf202ap

I live in Athens, GA - home of 1,000 faces. Their beans are delicious! They roast frequently in small batches, so your coffee is never more than a few weeks old. Bell's Blend is my go-to breakfast joe and the others are excellent as well. I faithfully buy a pound from them at the farmer's market every week.
Good Deal too - it usually goes from $12 - $16 a pound.

doryg151

quality posts: 2 Private Messages doryg151
ericshmerick wrote:Are these whole beans or ground?

If they are ground they are useless no mater what method you choose to brew with.

If they are more than a month off roast they are useless. Most coffee is shot after 2 weeks for espresso and goes very flat in everything else by about 4 if not sooner.

Still it is good to see actual 1# bags! I would bet this coffee even at a year off roast is better than *$, and I know nothing about the roaster yet.

pjhad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pjhad

Anybody want to share their coffee to water ratios? What do you prefer; drip, french press, vacuum? Some cool hipster method we have never heard of? What about coffee grinders? I know burr is the way to go, but they are kind of expensive.

What makes your coffee so great?

terrenceistheman

dredgman wrote:Why would you sell this much coffee together? There's no way to use all of this before it goes bad,

keeping it in the freezer has always worked well for me

dredgman wrote:Coffee tends to go bad within a week or two of roasting.

most coffees are best ground and brewed after waiting about a week after roasting.

number0009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages number0009

Hey WOOT,

Ya'll don't say if these are bags of beand or ground coffee.

If it's ground we need to know which grind of the four they offer.

Saw beans mentioned twice in the ramblings but will not order based on that.

terrenceistheman

pjhad wrote:Now how to brew it? French Press? French Pull? Vacuum? Regular Drip? Percolator? So many wonderful ways.

ive become a big fan of pour over the last couple months!

brb, googling french pull

pjeffy

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pjeffy

dear woot gods...please answer the ultimate question...beans or ground

doryg151

terrenceistheman wrote:most coffees are best ground and brewed after waiting about a week after roasting.

The whole freezer post roast thing has been debated a lot, most I know still don't think it really helps much.

Correct most coffee needs a few days rest but not all. It is more critical for espresso than other methods. A few roasters like Intelly out of chi town are pushing for longer rest on their roasts right now. But it really depends on a number of factors personal preference chief among them.

bobbysfca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbysfca

Absolutely need to know.
Your coffee beans can be the best beans in the world, but if they are pre-ground, then they will still pale in comparison to ordinary grocery store beans freshly ground before brewing.
I wouldn't pay $4 per pound for Blue Mountain if pre-ground.

doryg151

I have 8 or nine brewing methods at my disposal, and multiples of a few.

This week I am using my Clever coffee Driper.

doryg151

From there web site ALDO'S blend "dark, oily, stanky, musty, full-bodied, peppery, meaty, and seasoned. This is a blend of Indonesian and South American greatness. If you like full-bodied coffee, this is the choice for you."

Sounds over roasted to me and not the terms I personally want to hear to describe a coffee.

Edit:
This is how a friend describes what came out of my roaster this week.
Strong, rustic sweetness (a bit like chicory), molasses, sorghum syrup, pungent clove, cinnamon, substantial body, dark malty note, caramelized sugars, butterscotch, rustic overlay, cinnamon-laced black tea note in the finish along with aromatic cedar and cinnamon bark.

tetchypoo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tetchypoo
terrenceistheman wrote:keeping it in the freezer has always worked well for me

Keeping your coffee in the freezer degrades the quality of your beans, not enhance them. Don't refrigerate them either. I have no idea where this absurd myth came from, but it's pretty much on par with the "people eat 5 spiders in their sleep every year" thing.

If you want good coffee, buy whole beans from a local or trusted roaster, a week after roasting, but no longer than a month after roasting. Invest $100 in a decent burr grinder and grind fresh. If you have been using ground beans your whole life and have used beans that have been ground for more than a few hours, you're missing out. Although, some people simply don't care, so that's also perfectly acceptable.

ETA: If you buy these beans because you want "good" coffee, make sure you invite a lot of friends, because you cannot possibly drink this coffee before it goes waaaay past its prime.

dotcomprincess

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dotcomprincess

Well I have no idea if it's good or not but it's totally worth a try. Since I live in Ewe-tah I can't buy from wine.woot unless it's a food item so I'm sorta jonesing to buy anyway. Regardless, any food items I get from wine.woot are great and I'm never disappointed.

SilverStar830

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SilverStar830

No mention at all of whether these coffees are offered as whole bean or ground, and if ground whether fine, medium or coarse ground. Not even if they are loose packed or vacuum packed/sealed.

Note to Wine.Woot... that stuff actually matters with coffee... especially coffee that is 10 dollars per pound (including shipping) and destined for up to 10-days in the shipping lanes.

Oh well. I'll stick with my usual.

doryg151

tetchypoo wrote:Keeping your coffee in the freezer degrades the quality of your beans, not enhance them. Don't refrigerate them either. I have no idea where this absurd myth came from, but it's pretty much on par with the "people eat 5 spiders in their sleep every year" thing.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. But some people including my old man think it helps.

Now vac sealing and freezing you green (un-roasted) coffee may still have merit.

lebert22

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lebert22

Aldos is fantastic! Deep rich taste without the bitter. Go for it. One of my wife's favorite

Leeebs

StevieSegel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages StevieSegel

So seriously...whole bean or ground on this thing??????

I like that the roaster's website offers different levels of grind (I'm a French press person, myself), but is Woot offering that for this???

C'mon wine.woot! Throw us a bone.

Stephanie
over 40 shirt.woots (and an apron), and I don't have a thing to wear...

terrenceistheman

doryg151 wrote:few roasters like Intelly out of chi town are pushing for longer rest on their roasts right now. But it really depends on a number of factors personal preference chief among them.

agreed on both accounts.
in fact, i heard this most recently from a shop that brews intelligentsia exclusively.

upvote.. wait, wrong site.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ericshmerick wrote:Are these whole beans or ground?

Whole Bean!

terrenceistheman

doryg151 wrote:vac sealing and freezing you green (un-roasted) coffee may still have merit.

i dont think you need to freeze unroasted beans.. i believe they would keep a similar shelf life of any other type of bean e.g.,pinto, etc

doryg151

Well my caffeine buzz is wearing off so I will leave you now.
Sorry Wine.Woot I roast my own.

pjeffy

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pjeffy
Winedavid39 wrote:Whole Bean!

thank you...now you can rest

tetchypoo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tetchypoo
pjhad wrote:Anybody want to share their coffee to water ratios? What do you prefer; drip, french press, vacuum? Some cool hipster method we have never heard of? What about coffee grinders? I know burr is the way to go, but they are kind of expensive.

What makes your coffee so great?

French press: 500ml of 195-200F water to 37.5 grams of fresh ground coffee. Add a pinch of salt. Brew for 4 minutes, scoop off the grounds from the top of the coffee, press and enjoy the best coffee you've ever had.

You're welcome. :p

Green coffee beans absolutely can be frozen, but you better roast them immediately after you take them out of the freezer and don't even think about re-freezing them or you'll destroy them.

But really, this is all just a bunch of b.s. coffee snobbery on my part, so if you're happy with your coffee as is, cool.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

^^^ I agree, some of the flavour descriptions are far from appealing, to me as well. Peppery? Blech!!!

These coffees, with the possible exception of Aldo's Blend (though the 'peppery' descriptor horrifies me) , all sound like acidic, lighter roasts. I really abhor acidity and absolutely cannot drink light roast or even most medium roast coffees. I like really really dark roasts & drink French and Espresso roasts without exception. But except for Bell's Blend, none of the descriptions for the coffees clearly include the roast type/darkness, which I consider absolutely essential information. Based on the info they did include, like I said initially, I suspect these are lighter-style, super acidic coffees. I've had 'dark roast' coffees fairly often which I don't consider anywhere past medium roast, and more rarely, a few that tasted light roast. I would love to see pictures of the whole beans for each of the coffees offered, as I find their appearance is a very good predictor of quality & taste.

I don't drink coffee enough to ever buy more than a lb at a time, so yes, I do worry about it going 'bad' before I can use it. I have had some luck with keeping unopened bags in the freezer for a few months before opening them, but I don't drink enough coffee these days to buy 4 lbs. :\

I don't know how long after roasting it takes for the coffee beans to taste 'bad' to my palate, as I haven't ever known when the coffee I buy was roasted. I doubt I have ever bought beans - with the exception of a times I have gotten them directly from a coffee shop - that were under 2 weeks old (since roasting). I do know that it can take 2 weeks-4 months for a 1 lb bag of beans to go bad after having opened them.

I've heard that it is supposedly frequent and significant change in temperature & exposure to air that causes coffee to go bad, so it doesn't matter if you keep your coffee in the fridge or the freezer once opening it; if you are using it regularly, you should just keep it at room-temperature in an as-airtight-as-possible container - I use a vacuum one, sort of like Vacu-Vin for coffee. Since switching from keeping my beans in the fridge, it does seem that my coffee stays fresher longer when I keep an opened bag in my pantry.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

drawgood

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drawgood

Watch out, do not be fooled by those colorful pictures. There is lots of bad coffee with nice pictures at safeway

redfishperson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redfishperson

If only all 4 bags were the Huehuetenango beans...that is the best stuff in the world. I don't know about this particular roaster, but the stuff I had fresh from the plantation in Guatemala was incredibly amazing.

terrenceistheman

tetchypoo wrote:if you're happy with your coffee as is, cool.

truth!

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

A couple years ago the owner of Conscious Coffee in Boulder, Colorado, gave me a lesson in how to properly brew French press coffee. I use a this method, as well as some other discovered steps, just about every morning. This really isn't as tedious as it sounds.

Coffee/water ratio is your taste. Experiment. Different coffees have different acidity, flavor, etc... as everyone has mentioned.

1. Heat water to boiling or just under. Again, this is to your taste
2. Warm the carafe with hot water to avoid shocking the grinds too much
3. Grind beans at the latest possible moment on a coarse grind(unless you like muddy coffee) with a burr grinder. If you do not have a burr grinder, go get one, because blade grinders are universally considered garbage by anyone in the coffee world
4. Add coarsely ground beans to carafe
5. Add water to carafe slowly while gently(or aggressively) swirling the press as it becomes 1/2 full. Finish filling
6. Set timer for 4 or 5 minutes, to taste
7. After above time expires, you may remove grinds with a slotted wood spoon to reduce the acidity
8. Press slowly!!!
9. Enjoy. Once you get it right you will change the way non-coffee drinkers enjoy coffee when they try yours

Hope none of this was repetitive. Most fresh beans also do an excellent cold press or toddy. Got my entire office hooked on that over the summer.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

doryg151

terrenceistheman wrote:i dont think you need to freeze unroasted beans.. i believe they would keep a similar shelf life of any other type of bean e.g.,pinto, etc

Moisture content is more of an issue and coffee beans in my experience do not age as well as dried beans like kidney and pinto.

I do not current freeze my greens I also do not keep greens longer than about 6-8 months. I know of people who have had hit or miss success aging there greens out a couple years in cotton bags. the tests going on now are with properly frozen greens not aging as fast and fewer going off. When frozen they are holding for upwards of 3-4 years(Testing still in posses). This may allow for some very interesting blends to be produced from great beans over time.

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007
Winedavid39 wrote:Whole Bean!

They are not whole bean but mostly broken beans due to the cheap low grade product woot has decided to overcharge you on.Visit your local roaster for top shelf coffee.The US will soon sell Texas to Mexico to pay its debts.

lassow

pjhad wrote:Some cool hipster method we have never heard of? What about coffee grinders? I know burr is the way to go, but they are kind of expensive.

Chemex brewed coffee tastes amazing. You can get a decent burr grinder from Bodum for $80. Unexpectedly became my favorite kitchen appliance. Had a cheap $30 burr grinder from Black & Decker that was terrible.

lassow

fairnymph wrote:
I don't drink coffee enough to ever buy more than a lb at a time, so yes, I do worry about it going 'bad' before I can use it. I have had some luck with keeping unopened bags in the freezer for a few months before opening them, but I don't drink enough coffee these days to buy 4 lbs. :\

I don't know how long after roasting it takes for the coffee beans to taste 'bad' to my palate, as I haven't ever known when the coffee I buy was roasted. I doubt I have ever bought beans - with the exception of a times I have gotten them directly from a coffee shop - that were under 2 weeks old (since roasting). I do know that it can take 2 weeks-4 months for a 1 lb bag of beans to go bad after having opened them.

My father served coffee that had been in the freezer for 2 years. It had no flavor. Wasn't bad, but just not worth making or drinking.

Supposedly some espresso roasts benefit from a little "aging" to the tune of 5-10 days. Not sure though. The owner of Boxcar Coffee Roasters mentioned this.

The oils in the beans can go rancid after just 3 weeks(give or take). If it is ground, it will start to turn rapidly. We have some whole been coffee in the office that is several months old and it smells terrible. People are still willingly drinking it and commenting on it's bad quality, and that is worth a chuckle.