$54.99 + $7.00 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 2 2005 Jana Cathedral Napa Valley Red Meritage Style Blend
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

First time ever as First Sucker! It pays to be working on grades! Plus, I just LOVE Jana Cathedral. It is such an elegant wine. Just had to get some more.

Jana Cathedral - 2 Pack by Scott Harvey
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: bahwm
Speed to first woot: 0m 57.920s
Last wooter to woot: jaredmac11

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

jaredmac11

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jaredmac11
bahwm wrote:First time ever as First Sucker! It pays to be working on grades! Plus, I just LOVE Jana Cathedral. It is such an elegant wine. Just had to get some more.

Last wooter to woot: jaredmac11

What's the best way to celebrate not breaking a budget?

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Looks like excellent stuff. ALL of Jana wines on CT get great marks from a quick search

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

mkottman08

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mkottman08

Woah it's a buy-one-get-one-free deal based on retail prices!

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
jaredmac11 wrote:What's the best way to celebrate not breaking a budget?

Drink more wine!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

Richard's 93-point CT review is good enough for me. I'll take a pair.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Did anyone else get the cryptic word thing when posting?

Anyways, pulling the trigger on this after procrastinating on Kunde.

Boulder/Denver people care to share this?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Besides the fact that this wine is excellent, the bottle is very cool as well.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

joshaw

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joshaw
k1avg wrote:Richard's 93-point CT review is good enough for me. I'll take a pair.

Yep, me too. In for a 6 pack.

mkottman08

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mkottman08
lassow wrote:Did anyone else get the cryptic word thing when posting?

Anyways, pulling the trigger on this after procrastinating on Kunde.

Boulder/Denver people care to share this?

A captcha? I didn't have one, maybe its just every x posts gets captcha'd

Also, anyone in NE Ohio/Cleveland want to split this offer? Hard to pull the trigger for 2 when I don't have storage for 1!

klezman

quality posts: 131 Private Messages klezman

Alright, WD, you got me! This is great stuff, and at the woot price it's a great buy. Maybe we'll get two sellouts in a row!

Last wooter to woot: klezman

Edit: Plus, did I guess this correctly via the clue on Sunday? Did WD give us a double-clue?

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Tassadar2k03

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tassadar2k03

92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc

What makes this a Meritage and not a Cab?

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Wonder what the drinking age is on these?

hookajoe

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hookajoe

I only liked about a quarter of the Scott Harvey wines I've tried. The other 75% I LOVED!

Last wooter to woot: hookajoe

Scott Harvey = Autobuy!

azilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azilla

Just ordered some for my first wine-woot as late father's day present. Hope he enjoy's it!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bsevern wrote:Wonder what the drinking age is on these?

21?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

nosnevets

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets
Tassadar2k03 wrote:92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc

8% and the discretion of the wine label designer. In

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

Cool bottle yes...crappy for tight spaces in the wine fridge, definitely! I have 2 from when these were up on Invino. I am cellaring those for a while, may buy 2 as a drink now situation.

CT Updating, please wait....

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

French oak does not make a French wine.At this price and 90 point rating I will pass for a real French wine at half the price.

slephoto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slephoto
nosnevets wrote:8% and the discretion of the wine label designer. In

Plus they paid to use the name.

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

I have the same question. Mainly, a quick online search says that each varietal in a Meritage cannot comprise more than 90% of the wine.

How does this work with 92% being cab?

Edit: Misread it, it's meritage STYLE. Way to go, eyes!

jplamb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb

In for a couple 2 packs, seems like a great deal and I've loved every Scott Harvey wine I've ever had with one exception....the InZinerator which I can't even give away but that will teach me to order without reading the RS percentage, I just saw Scott Harvey and Zin and jumped in on that one.

greyday

quality posts: 55 Private Messages greyday

Hmm, may have to buy this one, I've never been steered wrong by a drunk monkey in a bow tie.

EDIT: Also, found this review, might help some with deciding:

http://corkd.com/wine/view/115772-2005-jana-cathedral

AND that American Winery listing lists the cabernet at 76%, not 92%. That's kind of a big difference...

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

I've been hoarding my other bottles. This is an auto-buy. Smooth, balanced, supple tannins, NOT fruit forward ... a complex beauty from start to wonderfully long finish. I'm in for 3 but I'll open a bottle & post a vol-rat report tonight after work.

EDIT: And as noted by a previous poster, the bottles are beautiful and the "labels" are printed directly on the bottle

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

CigarDan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CigarDan

No Louisiana shipping. Bummer.

fitzpanther

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fitzpanther

I was so disappointed when I waited too long and the Kunde sold out! Not gonna happen today! (plus I love Scott's wines)

evanssm1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages evanssm1

Well that is an easy decision. In for 3 on this incredible buy. The only other time I have seen Cathedral at this much of a discount was last years Black Friday where Scott had it on a 50% sale. As for the wine, it is absolutely amazing. You can drink it now or hold it for the next 5-10 years. If your on the fence or even on the other side make the decision to jump and snatch as much of this up that you can. Thanks WD and Scott for the great buy.

(13) Woot Woots, (17) Shirt Woots, (10) Wine Woots, (2) Sellout Woot, (10) Kids Woot, (1) Deals Woot.
My Cellar
Ohio #2 Wine Tasting (Anyone In?)

oenophile1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oenophile1

It's just the use of the word "Meritage" which is a term created for the purpose of marketing Bordeaux and other blends. Perhaps someone else could tell the story and the wonderful prize which went to the inventor of the term.

tate491

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tate491
CigarDan wrote:No Louisiana shipping. Bummer.

Yeah, none of SH's wines ship to Louisiana. I usually pick up a bottle or two in Houston when I travel for business. Spec's carries quite a few SH wines.

CT

jwilk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwilk

Looks like a great wine, but no love for North Carolina on this one? What's up with that? I've got Harvey wines in my cellar purchased from woot...

evanssm1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages evanssm1

Any chance to get Jana to sign the bottles on a sell out? I should have got her to sign one the last time we tasted with her and Scott but I did not have a bottle of Cathedral with me.

(13) Woot Woots, (17) Shirt Woots, (10) Wine Woots, (2) Sellout Woot, (10) Kids Woot, (1) Deals Woot.
My Cellar
Ohio #2 Wine Tasting (Anyone In?)

sulakdd

quality posts: 13 Private Messages sulakdd

"Being European trained, this vineyard allowed Steve Harvey to produce a Napa Valley Meritage style blend as a balanced, complete wine."

So who's Steve? ; )

PhilSandifer

quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer

I suspect it comes down to the fact that in most of his wines, Mr. Harvey goes for a more old-world European style instead of the new-world/international/Parkerized style. And when it comes to Napa Valley and Cabernet Sauvignon, when you say "Napa Cab" everyone goes immediately towards expecting the new world style. So selling this as Napa Cab would mean that people would buy it and be disappointed that it didn't taste like what they thought they were buying, while people who like the usual old-world Scott Harvey style would in turn avoid it thinking it wasn't what they wanted Scott Harvey to be.

This way it not only doesn't taste like standard issue Napa Cab, it doesn't look like it either.

jchasma

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jchasma
jplamb wrote:In for a couple 2 packs, seems like a great deal and I've loved every Scott Harvey wine I've ever had with one exception....the InZinerator which I can't even give away but that will teach me to order without reading the RS percentage, I just saw Scott Harvey and Zin and jumped in on that one.

I've gotta say, I absolutely LOVE the InZinerator. I guess it's just based on personal taste.

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro
sulakdd wrote:"Being European trained, this vineyard allowed Steve Harvey to produce a Napa Valley Meritage style blend as a balanced, complete wine."

So who's Steve? ; )

I think Scott must have hired the comedian to make a celebrity wine. Maybe that's why the blend is off for a Meritage...Or maybe the Woot writers were watching late night reruns of The Steve Harvey Show when they were finishing this copy.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge
jchasma wrote:I've gotta say, I absolutely LOVE the InZinerator. I guess it's just based on personal taste.

I wish I could chime in, but with a magnum the opportunities for me to pop it open are a little harder to come by.

In on this one - definitely a wine, inside and out, that I will gladly carry in to my favorite bistro and show off!

StarM

quality posts: 20 Private Messages StarM
PhilSandifer wrote:I suspect it comes down to the fact that in most of his wines, Mr. Harvey goes for a more old-world European style instead of the new-world/international/Parkerized style. And when it comes to Napa Valley and Cabernet Sauvignon, when you say "Napa Cab" everyone goes immediately towards expecting the new world style. So selling this as Napa Cab would mean that people would buy it and be disappointed that it didn't taste like what they thought they were buying, while people who like the usual old-world Scott Harvey style would in turn avoid it thinking it wasn't what they wanted Scott Harvey to be.

This way it not only doesn't taste like standard issue Napa Cab, it doesn't look like it either.

Plus the fact that it says Meritage Style, not Meritage. If the posted numbers are correct it cannot be a "Meritage" per se, but it's like sparklers that say they are in the "méthode champenoise". It gives you an indication of what profile the winemaker was going for.

Kudos to the Harveys!

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Hi Everyone,
Great to be back. This vintage I could label as a Cab, being 92%. Other vintages may only be 73% and I would not be able to label them as Cab. By giving the wine a proprietary name like Cathedral it leaves my options open in future vintages to not have to have 75% Cabernet. This way I can make the best blend possible.