WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Pedroncelli Winery - Mixed Case

Speed to First Woot:
0m 46.000s
First Sucker:
InFrom
Last Wooter to Woot:
bpearl
Last Purchase:
3 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 26% of Wine Woots
Top 49% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 3% of Wine Woots
Top 12% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 7% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 20% < 10 woots
  • 23% < 25 woots
  • 45% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 6% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 15% one year old
  • 77% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
2%
0%
0%
1%
1%
3%
6%
9%
8%
9%
5%
5%
5%
4%
5%
4%
5%
5%
3%
4%
3%
3%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting





Quality Posts



Cesare


quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

Pedroncelli Winery - Mixed Case
$99.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Mixed
PRODUCTS:
3 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon, Morris Fay Vineyards, Alexander Valley, Sonoma County
3 2009 Zinfandel, Mother Clone, Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County
3 2008 Sangiovese, Alto Vineyards, Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County
3 2007 Syrah, Ridge Ranch, Alexander Valley, Sonoma County
CT links above

Winery website

Pedroncelli on Twitter
Pedroncelli on Facebook
Pedroncelli on Yelp

Previous offers:
12/8/10 (Same Cab and Syrah here)
4/23/09
2/11/08

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jsp872


quality posts: 22 Private Messages jsp872

what is the drinking window on these?

lassow


quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

This might be the most good wine for the least money ever to be on wine.woot.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

wordek


quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek
lassow wrote:This might be the most good wine for the least money ever to be on wine.woot.



Concur. WANT! Curse the 8+ cases of wine overflowing my storage at home...not to mention the woots awaiting pickup w my family outside MD...

lassow


quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
jsp872 wrote:what is the drinking window on these?



Some now and some later

We normally don't cellar wine at this price point because it is too easy to open with a wide range of not-terribly-aware-of-good-wine guests, but there is enough [3] of each bottle to try it now and a few years down the road if it is worthy of passing that dang time test.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

Hey, looka me, my first first! What, no mill?

After spending a night contending with black & blue screens on my new computer, nice to be able to get it running in time for its inaugural wine woot!!

Pedroncelli Winery - Mixed Case
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: InFrom
Speed to first woot: 0m 46.330s
Last wooter to woot: thrawn1020

My friends at work will take the Cab & the Syrah off my hands (since I still have some left from the December woot), leaving the Zin & the Sangio for me, me, me!

I promised my gf I'd get us some of their PN, we enjoyed it so last summer. Hey winery peeps, any good Wooter discounts coming our way?

Happy!

lannywa


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lannywa

How come the Syrah don't show on the lineup at the top?

smperry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smperry
lannywa wrote:How come the Syrah don't show on the lineup at the top?



It's there; you just have to scroll down.

lassow


quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Is this Ridge Ranch as in the well known Ridge Vineyards known for their Zinfandel? I think Ridge was actually one of the California producers in the America v France wine tasting in the 70's

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

masidote


quality posts: 1 Private Messages masidote
lassow wrote:Is this Ridge Ranch as in the well known Ridge Vineyards known for their Zinfandel? I think Ridge was actually one of the California producers in the America v France wine tasting in the 70's



I would doubt it as Ridge does not own any properties referred to as Ridge Ranch.

http://www.ridgewine.com/vineyards/index.tml

zTimothyBz


quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

In the first RPM tour, Pedroncelli was the first winery we visited. We'd been cautioned to pace ourselves, both in swallowing and in buying, but I always regretted not buying more of the Mother Clone at the time.

I'm in.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

lauratchi


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

Party season is coming up. Weddings, showers, picnics, baptisms, road trips to see family (that would be us) to name a few. How can you not take advantage of this deal? Oh and graduations. We have a couple of those this year.

Some to keep. Some to share. Lots to keep everyone happy.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

ckeilah


quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Picture shows 12. Description says 9. First post says 12. Weed The Foundation!?

ah ha! They corrected the discrepancies. DAMN! I want my 3 cases that I would have been entitled to had I ordered when I initially questioned this! :-P

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

NedDawg


quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

I cannot find Wine Spectator tasting notes for the 2009 Zin or any recent vintage of the other three reds in this offer. But they gave (FWIW) the 2008 Mother Clone Zin an 88 (Very Good) with the following notes:
Ripe and jammy, but nicely structured, with ripe cherry, licorice and roasted herb flavors. Drink now through 2015. 6,000 cases made.

jbfowlertx


quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx

Oh geez. I normally wait til the morning but this one's too easy. I mean really? Come on! just buy it and get on with your day.

nosnevets


quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets
jbfowlertx wrote:Oh geez. I normally wait til the morning but this one's too easy. I mean really? Come on! just buy it and get on with your day.



well said. A case for $105 and a known producer, can't go wrong.

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Ridiculously good value. If your spouse gives you an ultimatum "it's me or the wine", choose this.

This is an old-school winery, been going for years producing very good wine for a normally low price (but better than other wines at twice the price. rpm loves them.

I do not like their normal Zin, being a bit hot, but the mother clone is very good indeed, and their Sangiovese stads out as a fine, structured and Italian-styled wonder. I'm certain their Cab and Syrah will be very good indeed.

This case from any other producer of this quality would probably woot for $180, and retail for $300+. EDIT: We, the Hitchhikers you can get 4 cases for $300? Inconceivable!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:


cjsiege wrote: Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 24 .
Visit our Wine.Woot Event Calendar on Google Calendar!

April
4/30: NorCal #9: Peninsula/South Bay – Unusual Varietals

May
5/7: NoVA/DC #23: Spring Fling
5/7: NorCal #10: Vincent Arroyo Winery Open House
5/14: CyberPub Cellars Bottling Session #3
5/21: DTW #10: Sweet Endings
TBD: SoCal #17: Raiding zTimothyBz’s Wine Locker

June
6/4: Buffalo/WNY #6: Bubbly and Sushi
6/10 or 11: MN #16: Samiratou’s Birthday

Mid-Summer
TBD: NoVA/DC #in-between: Pre-Churrascaria GTG

August
8/6: Connecticut Special Event: Clambake!

September
TBD: NoVA/DC #24: Churrascaria!!! Large, Grilled Meat!!!

Pending
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: NYC #17

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!



So join or create a gathering now!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
lassow wrote:This might be the most good wine for the least money ever to be on wine.woot.



Certainly. Deal excellence on a par with $20 for a Rasmussen Petite Sirah. though WPR robasbly even higher!

3 cases bought. Tuesday nights - and Wednesday mornings - will never be the same. For this is weekend quality wine!

mdnorman


quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
richardhod wrote:This case from any other producer of this quality would probably woot for $180, and retail for $300+. EDIT: We, the Hitchhikers you can get 4 cases for $300? Inconceivable!



Perhaps... But this case from THIS producer would probably retail for about a hundred bucks, right?

I think the Woot shipping is what makes this deal a good value.

letshunt


quality posts: 7 Private Messages letshunt

I sat here thinking:

"I don't need this what the hell am I going to do with 12 bottles of awesome wine."

Then I stared at my wall with a befuddled look on my face...

"What the hell am I NOT going to do with 12 bottles of wine? Especially at this price!"

Thus I clicked the button. I regret having to think about this purchase, it should have been a no brainer.

mdnorman


quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Family owned? Locally produced? Count me in!

marksfamily


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marksfamily
lassow wrote:Is this Ridge Ranch as in the well known Ridge Vineyards known for their Zinfandel? I think Ridge was actually one of the California producers in the America v France wine tasting in the 70's



NO.

joed10303


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303

if you buy 3 shipping is less than 14 cents per bottle. so stock up and drink up !!

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
mdnorman wrote:Perhaps... But this case from THIS producer would probably retail for about a hundred bucks, right?

I think the Woot shipping is what makes this deal a good value.



They retail cheap, but that's retail of $15ish. Which would normally be $25-ish at other places, at least. Let me see:

Mother Clone Zin $15
http://www.pedroncelli.com/wines/wine.asp?p=379 (08 on site)

Sangiovese $14
http://www.pedroncelli.com/wines/wine.asp?p=391 (07 on site)

Cabernet Sauvignon $18
http://www.pedroncelli.com/wines/wine.asp?p=392

Syrah $15
http://www.pedroncelli.com/wines/wine.asp?p=377

That's $62 for 4 bottles. For a case, $186, though I bet you'd get a 10% discount on a case at the winery. Pretty good estimate of mine IMHO :D

So, given woot is $5 shipping, and you don't have to pay local taxes, this deal is nearly 50% off an ALREADY GREAT VALUE WINERY! Yes I'm shouting, I'm that excited ! And if you buy three...

so, OneCase $186, or $167.40 for a case w/ case discount, then $20 shipping (to CA), and $15 tax makes $202.40 shipped compared with $105 for a case.
Counting CA tax that's a 48% discount.
Without counting tax that's 44% discount!

For two or three cases you save even more. My figures are approximations, but it's pretty good. And then they're already good value wines



jpbjpbnet


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jpbjpbnet

In for three. And hoping THIS one makes it before Thanksgiving.

mdnorman


quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I'm going to go see how much room I have, and then place my order. In the meantime, I wanna thank four generations of the Pedroncelli family for making this wine available to us.

mike808


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

Due to SIWBM, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Popped a bottle of Monkey 2nd Prize yesterday (also from Pedroncelli).
Couldn't drink more than a sip after an hour in the glass. Corked the bottle and tasted next day. It was better, but still not my cup of tea.

Not sure if my buds are off or what. Not a big Cabernet Sauvignon fan, so maybe it's that what I'm tasting and I'm just not digging it.

Will see what happens on day 3 with the M2P to see how I feel about this offer. Also thinking Wot Da Eff am I going to do with all this wine?

mursecrna


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mursecrna

In for 1. I uncorked a Monkey 2nd Prize last week with friends and it was delicious, so while my wine racks are full already (and Fedex is coming later this week with yet to be delivered woots), I can't resist this offer.

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
mike808 wrote:Due to SIWBM, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Popped a bottle of Monkey 2nd Prize yesterday (also from Pedroncelli).
Couldn't drink more than a sip after an hour in the glass. Corked the bottle and tasted next day. It was better, but still not my cup of tea.

Not sure if my buds are off or what. Not a big Cabernet Sauvignon fan, so maybe it's that what I'm tasting and I'm just not digging it.

Will see what happens on day 3 with the M2P to see how I feel about this offer. Also thinking Wot Da Eff am I going to do with all this wine?



mursecrna wrote:In for 1. I uncorked a Monkey 2nd Prize last week with friends and it was delicious, so while my wine racks are full already (and Fedex is coming later this week with yet to be delivered woots), I can't resist this offer.



I love seeing these two consecutive posts with exactly opposite opinions of a wine, but which echo each other in the lament of "I already have too much wine, stop me before I buy again!" All the dialogue in the wine.woot forums in a nutshell (minus the vituperation).

CandaceO


quality posts: 1 Private Messages CandaceO
wordek wrote:Concur. WANT! Curse the 8+ cases of wine overflowing my storage at home...not to mention the woots awaiting pickup w my family outside MD...



Yeah, what happened to Maryland? I swear it was listed on the shippable states last week--I was excited to finally see it there! Was that just a dream?

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

This is a solid value for good, drinkable wine. The Zin is a little hot, but I see they have brought the alcohol back down from the 2008 (which I thought was too hot): this is absolutely characteristic Dry Creek Zin fruit that you will enjoy this summer.

Pedroncelli Cab is almost always a 'sleeper' that punches far above its weight for quality. You can enjoy it young or age it. As I have written many times in these threads, Pedroncelli has long had an excellent reputation in Sonoma County for very well-made wines, sometimes a bit rustic, but always honest, true to varietal type, and always outstanding values. On the first RPM Wine Tour in 2008, we tasted the 1995 Cabernet and it was lovely. Still young and full of fruit, but showing the effects of a decade of bottle aging in increasing complexity and smoothing tannins. I think it was an eye opener for many who hadn't had old Cabernet before. Think of Pedroncelli Cabs as something of a country cousin to Martini Cabs - Martini's didn't seem spectacular (though always good) when released, but almost always aged beautifully into elegant, charming wines at 10-20. An aged Pedroncelli Cab won't have the sophistication of an aged Martini, but it will have grown into something very good. Now, 2008 is not generally a great year, so these may be better for drinking over the next couple of years than for laying down, but the should be thoroughly enjoyable with grilled food or anything hearty.

We have always liked their Sangiovese and the Syrah.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

tdkayl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdkayl

In for one.....wanted the neighbor to watch for the FedEx truck so the wife won't see it, (this is the third delivery this month) but don't think I can trust him either!

bflohl


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bflohl

Definitely in. Have really liked all the Pedroncelli I've bought from woot. In fact took a bottle of the Mother Clone (and a Wellington Cab) to Easter dinner yesterday.

Still hoping to rat, someday, BTW!

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

With both zTimothyBz and rpm reminiscing about the 2008 rpm tour, I can't resist mentioning that it was a Pedroncelli offering on woot in February '08, with the offer from one of the winemakers to host a dinner, that led to that tour. It went from just the germ of an idea around Valentine's Day to a full-blown tour just 5 months later. And although the dinner offer didn't come to fruition, they made up for it, for those of us fortunate enough to make it back in 2010, with a fabulous lunch amidst the wine barrels in the aging room.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

stevino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevino

Im in for one... too many positive comments for me to resist.. i love all four varietals.. BTW, heading for europe for couple of weeks.. france and italy included.. any wine advice? anything i shouldnt miss or try? will be in burgundy for a day, also florence, venice, and rome..

caufield


quality posts: 5 Private Messages caufield

In for 2. Pedroncelli is one of my favorite wooting wineries. It's funny, though, because I shouldn't like them so much, given the relatively high pH and alcohol %. But the Pedroncellis definitely make it work.

gregorylane


quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
rpm wrote:This is a solid value for good, drinkable wine. The Zin is a little hot, but I see they have brought the alcohol back down from the 2008 (which I thought was too hot): this is absolutely characteristic Dry Creek Zin fruit that you will enjoy this summer.

Pedroncelli Cab is almost always a 'sleeper' that punches far above its weight for quality. You can enjoy it young or age it. As I have written many times in these threads, Pedroncelli has long had an excellent reputation in Sonoma County for very well-made wines, sometimes a bit rustic, but always honest, true to varietal type, and always outstanding values. On the first RPM Wine Tour in 2008, we tasted the 1995 Cabernet and it was lovely. Still young and full of fruit, but showing the effects of a decade of bottle aging in increasing complexity and smoothing tannins. I think it was an eye opener for many who hadn't had old Cabernet before. Think of Pedroncelli Cabs as something of a country cousin to Martini Cabs - Martini's didn't seem spectacular (though always good) when released, but almost always aged beautifully into elegant, charming wines at 10-20. An aged Pedroncelli Cab won't have the sophistication of an aged Martini, but it will have grown into something very good. Now, 2008 is not generally a great year, so these may be better for drinking over the next couple of years than for laying down, but the should be thoroughly enjoyable with grilled food or anything hearty.

We have always liked their Sangiovese and the Syrah.



IIRC didn't Pedroncelli sell off some of it's land to both Passalacqua and Armida? Excellent juices, both. A friend told me that when he lived out there Pedroncelli was one of the largest vineyards around, until they sold off a large portion of their vineyards. If true, I'd love to hear the story behind it.

We did have a terrific lunch in the barrel room and the wines were excellent.

I think Richards numbers on the retail might be off a bit: I can get 2005 Mother clone at my wine shop of choice for $10.99. I pick up a couple regularly.

I'm intrigued by the low ABV of the Syrah...isn't Syrah typically a pretty high alcohol content? I wonder if they made this with a little different style?

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

How good is this deal?

It's Pedroncelli. It's >50% off winery prices. The winery isn't even listing these vintages for sale yet - they're all still the previous vintage on the site.

Snap it up while you can!

Click the link above for full discount details, links, etc.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"