HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Our last one being small due to cancelations and relatively short-notice planning, so let's get the discussions started on this one right away.

UPDATED AS OF 7/15/11

DATE: July 16, 2011
WHERE: Kailadriel's apartment, Harlem
POUR TIME: 6:30pm
ARRIVAL TIME: 6pm
THEME: Summertime in Harlem

ATTENDEES:
1. HitAnyKey
2&3. Kailadriel (+1)
4. ratnikov
5&6. dsapp (+1)
7&8. beefytaco (+1)
9. Cesare
10. kttest

THE WINE LIST
N.V. Ca' Furlan Prosecco Cuvée Béatrice by Mrs. dsapp
N.V. Schramsberg Vineyards Mirabelle Brut Rose by dsapp
2010 St. Julian Winery Pinot Gris Braganini Reserve by Kailadriel
2006 Labouré-Roi Chablis 1er Cru by ratnikov
2010 Paumanok Chenin Blanc by the beefytaco's
2009 St. Julian Winery Traminette Braganini Reserve by Sir Kailadriel
2007 Cascina Castle't Grignolino d'Asti by HitAnyKey
2009 Domaine Philippe Tessier Cheverny Le Point du Jour by the beefytaco's
2000 Movia Veliko Rosso (Rdeče) by Cesare

MAYBEE:
ratnikov's +1

REGRETS:
iByron (+1)
Krugsters & shamer
bmckenna

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I'll start off with some dates that just don't work for me.
5/14, 5/28, & 6/11 are out as I have trips planned for those weekends, so won't be around.
6/25 is probably also out since I'll be building a house most of the day for Habitat for Humanity.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

June 5th or 6th!


Yes, I know, the 6th is a Monday. But I'll be there, so it should TOTALLY happen then.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ratnikov


quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

I'll have to see what my plans are closer to the date.

However, I am quite likely to make it regardless of the date.

ratnikov


quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

Seems like this thread got a little bit lonely, and it's already May.

HAK, I am still interested in the decanter. ;)

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Bumpety BUMP!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

beefytaco


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Howdy folks... I'm new around here and definitely interested in meeting up for a W.W tasting. Mrs Taco has quite a palate on her as well, so we could probably convince her to fill up another spot.

With a week of 80+ degree days, I'm perking up for interesting whites, roses, and chilled reds. There's probably a few theme in there somewhere!

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

Kailadriel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel
beefytaco wrote:
With a week of 80+ degree days, I'm perking up for interesting whites, roses, and chilled reds.



Is "summer drankin'" too loose a theme?

I'm moving apartments on June 5th, so the boyfriend probably wouldn't enjoy it if I abandoned him to unpack that night.... but pretty much any other day in the month of June (except for the 17th) I can go!

And maybe I can convince the boy to let me host.....we'll see

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Welcome to the NYCrew! Both of you. Hopefully we can figure out another tasting sometime soon. We had one a couple months ago at Cesare's place in Queens, which was a rather small turnout, so it'd be nice to have a few more new faces.
If someone is willing to host as well, that'd be great too. Both Cesare and Krugsters have each hosted most of our tastings. A huge space isn't even needed. Just let us know how many people you think you may have room for, and that's what we would limit it to.

June 5th is now too close of a date to plan for anyway. Kailadriel, you stated the 17th is out. That's a Friday. What about Saturday the 18th?
Whereabouts in the city are you moving to? UES, UWS, Downtown, etc, etc? If you can actually host, we can help with the details. We've done this a few times, after all. Not much is needed. Just a somewhat decent area for a handful of people to sit around sipping wine, munching some munchies, and having a grand ole time.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Cesare


quality posts: 1617 Private Messages Cesare
Kailadriel wrote:Is "summer drankin'" too loose a theme?

I'm moving apartments on June 5th, so the boyfriend probably wouldn't enjoy it if I abandoned him to unpack that night.... but pretty much any other day in the month of June (except for the 17th) I can go!

And maybe I can convince the boy to let me host.....we'll see



That would be cool.
And yeah.. what Hak said. We can do the 18th. Not any of the other Saturdays in June.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

beefytaco


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
Cesare wrote:That would be cool.
And yeah.. what Hak said. We can do the 18th. Not any of the other Saturdays in June.



An early-ish get together on the 18th would work for us, but apparently the wife got tickets for us to see Dispatch (barf) in Jersey that night.

I could probably host in Cobble Hill, BK as well at some point. We just had 20 over for Easter, but <=15 would probably be a bit more comfortable.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

Kailadriel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel
HitAnyKey42 wrote:
Whereabouts in the city are you moving to? UES, UWS, Downtown, etc, etc? If you can actually host, we can help with the details. We've done this a few times, after all. Not much is needed. Just a somewhat decent area for a handful of people to sit around sipping wine, munching some munchies, and having a grand ole time.



I am moving up to West Harlem - 137th st right off of the 1 train. My SO has okayed me hosting....but I won't be able to give a definite yes for another week, to make sure we don't destroy any major furniture in the move. I should be able to host approximately 10, maybe 15....not really sure until I get the furniture in.

I'll keep you guys updated!

iByron


quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Welcome to the NYCrew! Both of you. Hopefully we can figure out another tasting sometime soon. We had one a couple months ago at Cesare's place in Queens, which was a rather small turnout, so it'd be nice to have a few more new faces.
If someone is willing to host as well, that'd be great too. Both Cesare and Krugsters have each hosted most of our tastings. A huge space isn't even needed. Just let us know how many people you think you may have room for, and that's what we would limit it to.

June 5th is now too close of a date to plan for anyway. Kailadriel, you stated the 17th is out. That's a Friday. What about Saturday the 18th?
Whereabouts in the city are you moving to? UES, UWS, Downtown, etc, etc? If you can actually host, we can help with the details. We've done this a few times, after all. Not much is needed. Just a somewhat decent area for a handful of people to sit around sipping wine, munching some munchies, and having a grand ole time.



You forgot to mention the mandatory Voudoun ceremony. And please don't forget that both the chicken AND the bat should be alive when you arrive unless you've made other arrangements with the, umm, "host."

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Kailadriel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel

Bad news guys - my apartment is still only half an apartment, and seems to have been invaded by tools and ladders. Unpacking is hard.

I will be able to host a gathering at some point, but not in the next week. :-\ Sorry.

How's July look for everyone?

iByron


quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Got a time yet? I need to come up and retrieve something from Pio Cesare and these are usually a good opportunity.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege


quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

If you all have confirmed June 18, would someone (hint, hint) please update the title?

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cjsiege wrote:If you all have confirmed June 18, would someone (hint, hint) please update the title?



Since everyone seemed to get busy the past few weeks, and there has been no discussion at all, I'm thinking the 18th is going to be a no-go. With it only being 5 days away, it's probably just not doable. Especially since Kailadriel, who had offered to host, won't be ready by then in their new place.

Guess we should start throwing out new dates?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Kailadriel wrote:How's July look for everyone?


As far as I know so far, July weekends are completely free for me at the moment. So I should be able to do whatever date is chosen.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

ratnikov


quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

Yay, the thread got resurrected! :D

I can do pretty much any weekend, assuming a week of notice or so.

Did we settle on a theme yet?

Kailadriel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel

How about this:

Saturday, July 9th @ Kailadriel's Apartment in Harlem
Theme: Summer Drankin'

I can host 10 guests.

Can we put this together in 3 weeks?

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Kailadriel wrote:How about this:

Saturday, July 8th @ Kailadriel's Apartment in Harlem
Theme: Summer Drankin'

I can host 10 guests.

Can we put this together in 3 weeks?


I assume you mean Saturday, July 9th?
Personally I'd prefer the weekend after, since I just got invited to a block party on the 9th. And I'd have to skip that to go to the tasting (which I'd probably do). But if the 9th is better for everyone else, rather than the 16th, then so be it.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Kailadriel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I assume you mean Saturday, July 9th?
Personally I'd prefer the weekend after, since I just got invited to a block party on the 9th. And I'd have to skip that to go to the tasting (which I'd probably do). But if the 9th is better for everyone else, rather than the 16th, then so be it.



I can host either the 9th or the 16th, so whichever works best for others. I just thought we'd prefer sooner rather than later.

Also, thank you for pointing out my date error earlier

ratnikov


quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

Either one works for me.

iByron


quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

If you're in early July, put me down as attending plus 1.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Kailadriel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel
iByron wrote:If you're in early July, put me down as attending plus 1.

iByron



so are you voting July 9 or July 16th?

We should probably just pick one and change the title.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Kailadriel wrote:so are you voting July 9 or July 16th?

We should probably just pick one and change the title.



Well last night I send a *nudge* via email to Krugsters, Cesare, kttest, and a whole bunch of other people to come visit this thread and open their mouths (or at least move their fingers), so hopefully some more will chime in soon. We already know my vote is for the 16th.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

iByron


quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
Kailadriel wrote:so are you voting July 9 or July 16th?

We should probably just pick one and change the title.



Neither. If it's early July (and on a weekend), I'm in +1

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

beefytaco


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
iByron wrote:Neither. If it's early July (and on a weekend), I'm in +1

iByron



Beefytaco +1 can make both the 9th and 16th

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Unless anyone objects, I'm going to just set it to the 16th then since everyone else so far has said either date works for them, and the 9th doesn't work for me. That cool with everyone?
And looks like we're going to have a good sized group of "newbies". It'll be fun to meet ya'll.
So Kailadriel, next up is to pick a time. We've done these tastings in both afternoon & evening, so it doesn't really matter too much when we start.
iByron, are you heading back to Philly after the tasting or are you going to be staying in NYC? Your travel plans might be the biggest influence on start time, since you are coming the furthest (with me being the next furthest).

And I suppose we can make this another "random" type theme again. We haven't had one of those in awhile. We've done many tastings centered around countries or regions or such. I think this will be a good time for another of pretty much "bring what you would like to share with people" as a sort of summer kick-off type deal. Since I have such a large selection to choose from in my cellar, I'll make my decision after I see what types some of you decide on. So as ya'll decide what you want to open, post it here and I'll make a listing in the first post as usual.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bmckenna


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmckenna

I'm a maybe for the 16th. Shouldn't be an issue but I got a few things that might potentially pop up between now and then that might prevent me from attending.

Krugsters


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

We are a maybe for this. It is my birthday weekend so we might be away.


beefytaco


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

So much that I could bring...
1 bottle per person? I assume that price is at my own discretion?
Woo!

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

Kailadriel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel

ooooh, that's tough. I'd say evening, otherwise the apartment might get too warm.

So Saturday, 7/16/11 at 8pm.

Let me know if there are any nibbly requests - cooking is a favorite of mine.

(Hurray!)

dsapp


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Please add dsapp +1 to the list. We'd love to come down on the train from Connecticut and meet the new wooters (and see some old friends).

iByron


quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Unless anyone objects, I'm going to just set it to the 16th then since everyone else so far has said either date works for them, and the 9th doesn't work for me. That cool with everyone?...
iByron, are you heading back to Philly after the tasting or are you going to be staying in NYC? Your travel plans might be the biggest influence on start time, since you are coming the furthest (with me being the next furthest)...



Between my last post and my return to this forum, I received a firm invite for the 16th here in Philadelphia (actually in Delaware), which I accepted (this was still up in the air, at least as far as I knew, and I'm integral to its success).

Thus, I will not be attending.

iByron

Oh, neither will my +1 unless he wants to RSVP for himself.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Kailadriel wrote:ooooh, that's tough. I'd say evening, otherwise the apartment might get too warm.

So Saturday, 7/16/11 at 8pm.

Let me know if there are any nibbly requests - cooking is a favorite of mine.


I'm thinking around 6ish (or at latest 7ish) would probably be best. Otherwise will be at your place well past midnight.
And now that we have the dsapp's on the attendees list, I have a feeling they would prefer to be back on their way up to CT by midnight.
I personally don't have any major objections to the later start, but just wanted to put it out there. Though I think I would also want to be done long before midnight, since my train options home get really bad if I miss the 1am train. Otherwise known as I'm then stuck until quarter to 3.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
beefytaco wrote:So much that I could bring...
1 bottle per person? I assume that price is at my own discretion?
Woo!



Yeah, we usually do 1 bottle per person. And yup, price is totally at your own discretion. You can bring a $15 bottle or a $90 bottle.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

dsapp


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Just sayin': we don't have a preference between afternoon or evening. If it is during the day and it is hot, we will dress accordingly. Evening works fine too. We'll be taking a cab back to the 125th Street train station whenever the party ends. In other words, we are flexible and look forward to the gathering. Thanks to the host!

Kailadriel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'm thinking around 6ish (or at latest 7ish) would probably be best. Otherwise will be at your place well past midnight.
And now that we have the dsapp's on the attendees list, I have a feeling they would prefer to be back on their way up to CT by midnight.
I personally don't have any major objections to the later start, but just wanted to put it out there. Though I think I would also want to be done long before midnight, since my train options home get really bad if I miss the 1am train. Otherwise known as I'm then stuck until quarter to 3.



Alright, if you guys don't mind being warm - the afternoon time (2 pm) works fine

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Kailadriel wrote:Alright, if you guys don't mind being warm - the afternoon time (2 pm) works fine



Well I wasn't really meaning for the big jump all the way to 2pm. LOL
I was voting more for the 6pm-7pm start time.
So at this point, I'll nudge others to chime in since pretty much any time does work for me (I was just voicing some preferences & thoughts ) and let the start time be whatever you and/or others decide on. After all, I'm just glad we're finally getting in another tasting, and with lots of new people!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings