mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

It's august 6th.

See here for attendee list: List

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Me + kkv123 are in. We are both good for Aug 6. June 25 is good for me. Aug 13 starts getting dicey, with family holidays rolling around toward the 2nd half of Aug.

I'll have to confer with kkv, but she would pound me into the sand if I didn't get us both on record as vehement YES until proven otherwise.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mother wrote:Discuss...

Any preferences between the weekend of June 25th, August 6th, and what the heck, August 13th?

I am in this year. I SWEAR.

June 25 and August 6 are better for me, I already have a vacation planned for Aug 20-27 and it would be BAD to be gone two weekends in a row like that, since I fully intend to make this a long weekend. June is the preferable date for me.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Is there a maybe, I'm REALLY tempted category?

CT

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

August 6th works better for me, so if its then I'm in

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

rpm + swmbo

either 6/25 or 8/6 works, I think

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I'm also in. At this current time I believe both dates work for me, though my preference would be for 8/6.
I have a Habitat for Humanity house build thing I was going to do on 6/25, but if that's when the Clambake ends up being, they'll just have to do without me.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
tenuki wrote:Is there a maybe, I'm REALLY tempted category?

Ditto

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Count my wife and I in. Prefer June date, but can make either.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

Count Cesare and I in. I think August 6 may be better for us, but not definite on that one.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Mother, from all the good things I have heard about the last one, put me in as a definite maybe.

I will start finagling schedules, and see if I can't firm that up soon.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

tenuki wrote:Is there a maybe, I'm REALLY tempted category?

Dearest maybe'ers: this will fill up within the next 48 hours -- 96 tops. Counting the postings already, we have 11 "you betcha and I will make the date work" within the first 2 hours of the thread going live.

"Maybe" will quickly become waitlist (a.k.a. "so sorry that there is no more room.")

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

Please add me to the yes list if it's in August. June is too soon for me to plan this.

Thanks!

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

Both those dates work for me. I'm in.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

June 25th is not an option for ddeuddeg and me. August 6th is better for us. Is July 30th not an option for you mother?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'm also in. At this current time I believe both dates work for me, though my preference would be for 8/6.
I have a Habitat for Humanity house build thing I was going to do on 6/25, but if that's when the Clambake ends up being, they'll just have to do without me.

Glad your priorities are in the right place. I figure with the clam shells, you could provide shelter for a family.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tiger7610 wrote:August 6th works better for me, so if its then I'm in

Ditto for me. June 25th will be out.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Also HAK my goal is to eat 2 lobsters as well, this time I will avoid 2 bowls of the awesome clam chowder. I'm not sure if the recipe for that was every published.

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

what's a clambake?

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Dammit! This would be so awesome to make. Will have to look at all the pics afterwards to live vicariously.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

This sounds like something the Blinks need to experience - put us in for 2.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

rpm

UBlink wrote:This sounds like something the Blinks need to experience - put us in for 2.

Outstanding!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

InShadows

By my calculations, June 25th has 2 possible spots left open and August 6th is already 3 over capacity. There are 3 strong maybes.

cj, 96 hours? 15 hours for August 6th.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
UBlink wrote:This sounds like something the Blinks need to experience - put us in for 2.

You'll love it.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rpm

random122 wrote:what's a clambake?

Wikipedia is your friend: New England clam bake

And, the best article on clambakes: Now is the Time to Enjoy an Old-Fashioned Clam-Bake Picnic from the August 10, 1913 New York Times.

These quantities are more or less accurate:

For each person to be fed, one-half chicken, broiler size, one live lobster of about a pound and an half in weight; two or thre hard-shell crabs; two good-sized Irish potatoes, one large sweet potato, two ears of sweet corn, a dozen each of roasting oysters and medium-sized round clams, a peck of "steamers," or long clams, the larger the better; one watermelon for every four persons, and a one-pound fish.

If wines are to be served a light Rhine wine is the best, or some rather tart white wine, never a sweet one....

Sausage is also now typical in a good clambake, and are part of Mother's clambake, as are mussels - Guests supply some beer, oceans of wine, of course, as well as breads and desserts in Lucullan amounts .

Note that the white wines of choice in the early 20th century in the US were Rieslings, made in a dry style. Actually, those wines were probably a bit sweeter than we'd prefer today, but they were still much drier than the mass produced sweetish wines (think Liebfraumilch and Blue Nun) many people associate with German wine. And today, we don't think of white Burgundy (Chardonnay), which is the preferred wine with Lobster, as tart. (Though Chablis or Muscadet - for the oysters, of course - could probably be called 'tart' even now).

California wine aside - the top white wine of the California Wine Association pre-Prohibition was a Riesling.

The Official Mother's Wine.Woot Clambakes are a major Northeastern Woot Tradition and an outstanding example of the Clam bake!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
InShadows wrote:By my calculations, June 25th has 2 possible spots left open and August 6th is already 3 over capacity. There are 3 strong maybes.

I could be wrong, but I think mother put those numbers in just as a placeholder and not to state it as capacity. So we should be fine still. Last time we had almost twice that number attend.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

InShadows

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I could be wrong, but I think mother put those numbers in just as a placeholder and not to state it as capacity. So we should be fine still. Last time we had almost twice that number attend.

*sigh* And I made a nice spreadsheet and everything.

Edit: Added link to spreadsheet. Okay so maybe it's not all that nice but it should be up to date and I can give mother edit access.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Just to confirm what bahwm said (in case things are really filling up quickly), we definitely can't make it on June 25, but if it's August 6, we'll be there.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cjsiege

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I could be wrong, but I think mother put those numbers in just as a placeholder and not to state it as capacity. So we should be fine still. Last time we had almost twice that number attend.

I think that is truly up to mother... Last time, there was a cap at 25 because mother had a number of personal guests as well. Not sure how many personal guests there will be this time. Considering how wonderful last year was, I would not be surprised if mother is getting more inquiries/requests for invites from *that* side of the house as well.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Hey UB - two of my area people are transferring to Dallas in June. I hope they get in touch with your area's group

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bahwm

InShadows wrote:*sigh* And I made a nice spreadsheet and everything.

Keep it going! Thanks for doing it.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

(2) votes for August 6th (mine and Katy's). We'll be having our Buffalo wedding reception on June 25.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
rpm wrote:
The Official Mother's Wine.Woot Clambakes are a major Northeastern Woot Tradition and an outstanding example of the Clam bake!

Wow, thanks for all the info. I was thinking that clambake was an official woot term. Haha. But, in any case, it sounds absolutely amazing!

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
cjsiege wrote:Me + kkv123 are in. We are both good for Aug 6. June 25 is good for me.

I'll have to confer with kkv, but she would pound me into the sand if I didn't get us both on record as vehement YES until proven otherwise.

I am an enthusiastic YES! for either date. Or any other. Simply settle the date and I'll plan life's other events around it as best I may.

A big shout out to CJ for monitoring this thread for me! I've been away on travel without internet access, and returning to find myself down at the bottom of the list AGAIN would have been so deflating.

In the meantime, please know that I've been keeping up with pizza research. Pete's Apizza just opened in my neighborhood, one block away.

bahwm

justinrsanderson wrote:(2) votes for August 6th (mine and Katy's). We'll be having our Buffalo wedding reception on June 25.

ddeuddeg

rpm wrote:Sausage is also now typical in a good clambake, and are part of Mother's clambake, as are mussels - Guests supply some beer, oceans of wine, of course, as well as breads and desserts in Lucullan amounts .

Note that the white wines of choice in the early 20th century in the US were Rieslings, made in a dry style. Actually, those wines were probably a bit sweeter than we'd prefer today, but they were still much drier than the mass produced sweetish wines (think Liebfraumilch and Blue Nun) many people associate with German wine. And today, we don't think of white Burgundy (Chardonnay), which is the preferred wine with Lobster, as tart. (Though Chablis or Muscadet - for the oysters, of course - could probably be called 'tart' even now).

Of course, for the clambake at mother's, traditional or not, we have desserts. Pending the date selection, and mother's ability to put up with bahwm and me again, I'll plan on doing a couple of cheesecakes.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

bahwm wrote:

Nearly simultaneous posts. Cosmic!

bahwm

ddeuddeg wrote:Nearly simultaneous posts. Cosmic!

+ heart

rpm

ddeuddeg wrote:Of course, for the clambake at mother's, traditional or not, we have desserts. Pending the date selection, and mother's ability to put up with bahwm and me again, I'll plan on doing a couple of cheesecakes.

As I said, positively Lucullan!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cjsiege

InShadows wrote:

I was trying to give people some hope.