cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

DETAILS
DATE: May 21, 2011
TIME: 12:00pm
THEME: Sweet Endings
HOST: cheron98 (PM for directions) - Metro Detroit Area

All good things must come to an end, and this will be the ending for a couple of things. Zoomba77 and cyborgdo11 will be leaving us at the end of May and heading down to Dallas (watch out, Dallas group!), so we will be saying farewell to them. Also, my condo is up for sale, and eventually I will be moving out to NYC (watch out, NYC group!). So this will likely be the very last DTW gathering held at my place. oppsie will have to pick up the reins from here!

The theme, Sweet Endings, means there will be a good deal of dessert wine served. That will, of course, be later in the evening. The house will open up at noon and I will have backyard BBQ fare going pretty much all day. Come when you can, the sweet stuff will probably come out around 5 or 6pm. Bring your favorite dessert wine - I have a few, but will provide all the non-dessert wines from my own cellar. Also bring a side dish or dessert to share. I'll be supplying the meat and a couple of veggie dishes.

ATTENDEES:
1. cheron98
2. Zoomba77
3. cyborgdo11
4. tommythecat78
5. theomach
6. Silvia

7-14. friends

MAYBES:
1-2. friends

REGRETS:
1. tiger7610
2. oppsie
3. ddeuddeg
4. bahwm

Menu
Panetini w/Pulled Pork, Shrimp Salad, or Bruschetta
Black Bean Empanadas
Wings
Beef Back Ribs
Steak Strip Kebabs
Veggie Kebabs
Yogurt-Marinated Chicken
Husk-Grilled Corn on the Cob
Confetti Salad

Chocolate Mousse
Triple Vanilla Cake

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Sadly most like I wont be able to make it, my mom's birthday is on May 20th, and detroit is a bit of a drive to make the next morning.

cyborgdo11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyborgdo11

I logged in to RSVP and find we are already on the list. Woot! We are really looking forward to it!

cheron98

cyborgdo11 wrote:I logged in to RSVP and find we are already on the list. Woot! We are really looking forward to it!

Well, yah. I mean, we're saying goodbye to YOU, you'd better be there

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

I can't make any guarantees this early but put me on the list.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:I can't make any guarantees this early but put me on the list.

You'd better come, I STILL have Concannons for you!

cheron98

*bump*

theomach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theomach

I would like to attend! Very exciting to have one in Michigan after seeing all those for Southern California. Count me in for my first Wine.Woot gathering!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

I really hate to miss this event, but it's just not going to be possible to get there and back with everything else on the schedule that weekend.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

theomach wrote:I would like to attend! Very exciting to have one in Michigan after seeing all those for Southern California. Count me in for my first Wine.Woot gathering!

Excellent!! I'll respond to your PM in just a moment.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:I really hate to miss this event, but it's just not going to be possible to get there and back with everything else on the schedule that weekend.

Aw, much sadness! You guys are like extended locals for here (like tommy).

If the house doesn't sell by August, I'll see about getting another gathering together then. Or maybe oppsie would like to start hosting for the area

cheron98

Just so you all know, I'm participating in the Detroit Race for the Cure in honor of my Dad on the morning of the 21st. I should be back to my place before noon - it starts at 8am - but if not, feel free to congregate on the deck until someone with a key shows up.

Or you could call my realtor and ask for a showing, and he'll come let you in

tiger7610

cheron98 wrote:Just so you all know, I'm participating in the Detroit Race for the Cure in honor of my Dad on the morning of the 21st. I should be back to my place before noon - it starts at 8am - but if not, feel free to congregate on the deck until someone with a key shows up.

Or you could call my realtor and ask for a showing, and he'll come let you in

I can just see that image, a group of bunch of people of various age congregating on the deck with bunch of bottles. I wonder what would the neighbors think?

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:I can just see that image, a group of bunch of people of various age congregating on the deck with bunch of bottles. I wonder what would the neighbors think?

"when are you gonna open those and can we have some?"

Nah, my neighbor's cool. She'd totally understand.

cheron98

Where's the thread? Here's the thread!

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Where's the thread? Here's the thread!

Why ask questions you already know the answer to?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:Why ask questions you already know the answer to?

Why ask why? Oh, is Silvia coming with you?

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Why ask why? Oh, is Silvia coming with you?

Yes

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77

Bumpity-bump-bump!

Only 3 weeks to go

cheron98

2 weeks!

cheron98

Just about a week away!

tommythecat78

Need us to bring anything aside from a side or dessert dish?

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:Need us to bring anything aside from a side or dessert dish?

Cigars if you want 'em. Maybe a dessert wine

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Cigars if you want 'em. Maybe a dessert wine

I figured the dessert wine was a given.

tommythecat78

We will be bringing a bottle of Pillitteri Late Harvest Cab and something else...champagne perhaps? Not sure yet as far as side dish or dessert or both or whatever. Was planning on bringing the Bonny Doon Angel Paille from a while back but I seem to have imbibed both bottles.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:We will be bringing a bottle of Pillitteri Late Harvest Cab and something else...champagne perhaps? Not sure yet as far as side dish or dessert or both or whatever. Was planning on bringing the Bonny Doon Angel Paille from a while back but I seem to have imbibed both bottles.

What day are you coming in?

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:What day are you coming in?

If Silvia can get out of work at a decent time Friday night. If not we will leave early Saturday morning.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:If Silvia can get out of work at a decent time Friday night. If not we will leave early Saturday morning.

Ok. If Saturday, I should be back to the house by around 11. You know how to get in

tiger7610

I just realized you are having your gathering on Rapture Day, should be fun, if the world will end it will end with a wine.woot gathering

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Ok. If Saturday, I should be back to the house by around 11. You know how to get in

Right now we are pushing for Friday. If we can't get out of here by 8pm at the latest it will be Saturday. So if its cool that we may be showing up in the wee hours again that is the plan.

tommythecat78

If there are any other people watching this thread that are attending...what are you bringing. Just trying to get an idea of what others are bringing so we don't double up on items.

tommythecat78

Cat...how close is the ann arbor whole foods to you?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tommythecat78 wrote:Cat...how close is the ann arbor whole foods to you?

Depends on how you define close. Not particularly close, and I'm sure Cat will correct me if I'm wrong, but you could probably go by there on the way to her place without going too far out of the way.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

Since you're coming in the wee hours, stopping in Ann Arbor first probably won't work. But if you want to hit Bomber on Sunday morning, you can swing by A2 on the way out. There's a Whole Foods close to my work that's a little closer than the A2 one.

Wee hours is fine, I'll leave the alarm off so you don't wake me up

cheron98

And just to clarify, even though I put noon as the start time, everyone is welcome to show up whenever - this is kind of an open house sort of thing. Come and go as you please - desserts and dessert wines will be later in the afternoon.

So far I think I will have the following items going:

Panettini with toppings of pulled pork, shrimp salad, and bruschetta
Steak strip kabobs
Yogurt-marinated chicken
Wings
Beef back ribs

I will also be making my confetti salad and probably pick up some corn to throw on the grill. The rest is up to you all

Edit: Lamb pops proved to be too pricey for now. Alas!

cheron98

There will be chocolate mousse!

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:There will be chocolate mousse!

There will be Triple Vanilla Cake!

tommythecat78

What kind of veggies are you making? We were thinking of doing a mixed grill type of thing or potatoes depending on what you are doing.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:What kind of veggies are you making? We were thinking of doing a mixed grill type of thing or potatoes depending on what you are doing.

The only veggies I have planned are the stuff going on the kebabs, and the confetti salad (red & green cabbage and carrots with parsley and cilantro in a tahini dressing). I also have some black bean empanadas (as the "meat" dish for the vegetarians). Oh, and corn on the cob on the grill.

Too much?

cheron98

I had a question of when to expect things to be in full swing (due to babysitting requirements and such)... my guess would be between 3-8pm as the peak time, so if you're looking for only the "best" time to show up, that's it.

Weather is looking to be mostly sunny and 75 on Saturday, so it should be a gorgeous day. I still have the coffee bean sacks if anyone wants to do sack races

If you've got yard games, bring 'em. There's plenty of yard.