Twitter
Facebook
Yelp

Previous offer:
1/7/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

Is this minerally? The description sounds like it is ...
I love them rocks.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost

Am I upside down or is one of those bottles right side up?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Good call RPM!!

And courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote: Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of March 6 .
Visit our Wine.Woot Event Calendar on Google Calendar!

April
4/2: SoCal #16: Raiding Sparky’s Wine Lockers
4/16: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
4/16-17: International #1: Niagara Winery Hopping
TBD: NoVA/DC #23: Spring Fling

May
5/7: NorCal #8.5: Peninsula/South Bay
5/14: CyberPub Cellars Bottling Session #3

June
6/4: Buffalo/WNY #6: Bubbly and Sushi

August
TBD: NoVA/DC #24: Churrascaria!!! Large, Grilled Meat!!!

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!

So join or create a gathering now!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm

So out of the thousands of users on CT, no one owns/is tracking a single bottle of either of these?

Wild!

NightGhost

FWIW, I was very happy with the White Oak SB offer. But it's so different from this offer, that I'm not sure it's worth very much...

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
brainchasm wrote:So out of the thousands of users on CT, no one owns/is tracking a single bottle of either of these?

Wild!

I have to agree with you. Except for one vendor, besides the winery, there seems to be no trace of either of these wines on the internet market. Maybe someone from the winery will be able to answer. Where have these wines been hiding and why?

nosnevets

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets

At $15/ bottle for Napa Valley cab I don't see how you can go wrong. The merlot is no doubt worth the price as well, I hope I don't regret sleeping on it to see what the rest of the community is thinking. I am not familiar with White Oak.

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
jmdavidson wrote:I have to agree with you. Except for one vendor, besides the winery, there seems to be no trace of either of these wines on the internet market. Maybe someone from the winery will be able to answer. Where have these wines been hiding and why?

It's possible that it's a new release or close to it. A bit late, as many Napa places are putting out their 2007's now, but maybe they felt an extra year of bottle age would do it some good.

Surprising that there's not a Vintner Voicemail for this one.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

NightGhost

k1avg wrote:It's possible that they're a new release or close to it. A bit late, as many Napa places are putting out their 2007's now, but maybe they felt an extra year of bottle age would do it some good.

Surprising that there's not a Vintner Voicemail for this one.

These also seem to absent from their website, but the 2007s are available for $30 (CS) and $26 (Merlot).

shiftkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shiftkey

Ugh, very tempting, even though I just bought the VJB pack this weekend. Still new to wine, but the first bottle I ever bought was a cab a few months ago, and I recall really enjoying it (well, I recall being drunk), and I've yet to have a merlot. I guess I'll be spending another day closely watching the comments.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
MarkDaSpark wrote:Good call RPM!!

Looks like it's pretty oaky from the stats. Oak by name, oak by nature. Pretty dry at 0.2-3g/l. Tasty too? Rpm knew of it... wonder if he's drunk it.

NightGhost

What is the pH of these wines?

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
brainchasm wrote:So out of the thousands of users on CT, no one owns/is tracking a single bottle of either of these?

Wild!

If you dig a little deeper the previous vintages for these wines do have some CT reviews.

CT

oardarby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oardarby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iveuu-bXuo0

video about the winery, i am ordering some....been stalking for awhile, this will be purchase #1 on the wine side

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
nosnevets wrote:At $15/ bottle for Napa Valley cab I don't see how you can go wrong. The merlot is no doubt worth the price as well, I hope I don't regret sleeping on it to see what the rest of the community is thinking. I am not familiar with White Oak.

I can. A moderately priced wine from an expensive region more often than not will under-perform relative to its price-peers from less inflated regions. Though with the bad economy there definitely is more high quality blending wine around that might go into mid-tier wines.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

NightGhost wrote:Am I upside down or is one of those bottles right side up?

I guess after photographing "still life" wine shots for a few years, the photog has gotten a little burst of creativity in the past few weeks.

...or has been sampling a bit too much of the product...

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Cesare

quality posts: 1645 Private Messages Cesare

Wild!

jmdavidson wrote:I have to agree with you. Except for one vendor, besides the winery, there seems to be no trace of either of these wines on the internet market. Maybe someone from the winery will be able to answer. Where have these wines been hiding and why?

I had to create both of these wines in CT so that's why they have no data, yet.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

willwhiteoak

quality posts: 7 Private Messages willwhiteoak

Sorry for getting on a bit late! The reason you dont see our 2006's anywhere is because we secured a few exclusive contracts for nearly all of it! We have a bit left and here it is.

randeem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randeem

I poured wine for these guys for a couple years...I can almost guarantee you'll love these wines. No one ever walked out disappointed. I'm in for one!

flowerchild59

quality posts: 23 Private Messages flowerchild59

The previous woot offering white oak sauvignon blanc was quite a pleasureable wine to drink. I am in for sure.

On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie

White Oak Merlot....The only wine with the cork on the bottom!

Certified Wine Geek

Wodinn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wodinn
rnatalie wrote:White Oak Merlot....The only wine with the cork on the bottom!

I had a hearty guffaw, thanks for that. Needed it after walking to work in a blizzard to find out that they finally decided to shut down the university *after* I got here.

Purchasing some wine will make me feel better, too. So I think I shall.

sulakdd

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sulakdd
rnatalie wrote:White Oak Merlot....The only wine with the cork on the bottom!

As long as it's not between the wine and my glass, I don't care where it ends up!

StarM

quality posts: 20 Private Messages StarM

FWIW - We visited White Oak in August and tasted the 2005 Merlot and CS, in addition to the rest of their line-up (08 Chard, 08 SB, 05 Syrah). Overall, we were unimpressed by the Merlot and CS at the winery prices (upper $20's) -- although we were tasting after Hall & Bennett Lane (both of which were better across the board, although at a higher price point). They were nice, decent wines, but not thrilling at $28 or so.

We did like their Russian River Valley SB & ended up with a few bottles, so we did jump on the 07 SB (and have been pleased so far)on the prior offering.

At this current price point, they (albeit a later vintage) might be worth trying -- But I think I'll give it a miss -- I"m still trying to fit my KR and Wellington into my wine storage,... and drinking as fast as I can...!

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
nosnevets wrote:At $15/ bottle for Napa Valley cab I don't see how you can go wrong. The merlot is no doubt worth the price as well, I hope I don't regret sleeping on it to see what the rest of the community is thinking. I am not familiar with White Oak.

gcdyersb wrote:I can. A moderately priced wine from an expensive region more often than not will under-perform relative to its price-peers from less inflated regions. Though with the bad economy there definitely is more high quality blending wine around that might go into mid-tier wines.

My sentiments as well. In general, for me most moderately priced have a higher hurdle to get over to get me to buy.

c00rdb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages c00rdb

Why doesn't anything ship to NJ?

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
willwhiteoak wrote:Sorry for getting on a bit late! The reason you dont see our 2006's anywhere is because we secured a few exclusive contracts for nearly all of it! We have a bit left and here it is.

Ah, that makes more sense, with your 2007's available now.

Out of curiosity, were the contracts for restaurant pours, blending, or something else? The more useless information, the better, I always say.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

rnatalie

c00rdb wrote:Why doesn't anything ship to NJ?

Because the "stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators" have made it illegal. You are not going to ever see New Jersey in the list under the current laws. Perhaps you have a friend in NY who can wootleg you some.

Certified Wine Geek

dandamedic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dandamedic
c00rdb wrote:Why doesn't anything ship to NJ?

This is taken from the State of New Jersey Division of Alcohol Beverage Control Frequently Asked Questions:

Are New Jersey consumers permitted to order alcohol from a catalog or via the internet and have it delivered to their homes?

New Jersey residents are not permitted to purchase beverage alcohol via telephone, mail order or the Internet from producers and retailers in other states. These sales, commonly known as “mail order sales,” are illegal because they bypass the State’s regulatory system for controlling liquor. Some of the problems caused by mail order sales involve the delivery of alcoholic beverages to underage persons, loss of tax revenue and the fact that entities, not licensed in New Jersey, are delivering and selling alcohol in this State. Most states in the country prohibit mail order sales for these and other reasons, and in some states, violations are treated as a criminal offense.

http://www.state.nj.us/oag/abc/faqs.html#8

nosnevets

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets

I have been enjoying the SB offer from White Oak but have not had any of their reds. Half price wines are always of interest, so in for one.
Good luck getting the mob to relinquish any control over the alcohol distribution system in NJ.

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

a "Connoisseurs' guide'' at wineaccess liked the 05, which seems to be the nearest datapoint. 06 likely less tannin more ripe fruit, more accessible, but reviews should give a good idea of style.

Even better info, Ken's Wine Guide described the 05 Cab as v good value, ripe, almost black coloured, with blackberries..

Here's a quotation from that review. Winemaker notes are in the link too.
" It opens with an appealing ripe blackberry bouquet. On the palate, this wine is medium bodied, balanced, crisp, and easy drinking. It displays dusty light blackberry flavors with a hint of menthol on the back palate. The finish is dry and its managed tannins are slightly prolonged. Our mini tasting group thought this wine would pair well with shepherds pie.

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis
richardhod wrote:Also remember that 06 was a warm year, so the wines will be more fruit-forward and earlier-drinking than the 07, which in CA generally produced more structured wines which will mostly be rougher earlier but last longer and reach a higher peak!

Following this reasoning, these should be relatively early drinking wines. Drink up!

rnatalie

dandamedic wrote:
New Jersey residents are not permitted to purchase beverage alcohol via telephone, mail order or the Internet from producers and retailers in other states. These sales, commonly known as “mail order sales,” are illegal because they bypass the State’s greedy distributor lobby who bought the necessary politicians to create the current arcane regulatory system for controlling liquor. Some of the problems caused by mail order sales involve the delivery of alcoholic beverages to underage persons, loss of tax revenue and the fact that entities, not licensed in New Jersey, are delivering and selling alcohol in this State.

I fixed that for you.

Certified Wine Geek

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis
rnatalie wrote:I fixed that for you.

+1

willwhiteoak

quality posts: 7 Private Messages willwhiteoak
k1avg wrote:Ah, that makes more sense, with your 2007's available now.

Out of curiosity, were the contracts for restaurant pours, blending, or something else? The more useless information, the better, I always say.

The contracts were for restaurant pours, the production on the 2006's was much smaller than typical years in anticipation for the 2007's, which are now in national distribution.

NightGhost

dandamedic wrote:New Jersey residents are not permitted to purchase beverage alcohol via telephone, mail order or the Internet from producers and retailers in other states. These sales, commonly known as “mail order sales,” are illegal because they bypass the State’s greedy distributor lobby who bought the necessary politicians to create the current arcane regulatory system for controlling liquor. Some of the problems caused by mail order sales involve some issues we really don't care about, but that sound good politically, and loss of tax revenue, which we do care about with every fiber of our being.

(added 2nd fix)

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
dandamedic wrote:New Jersey residents are not permitted to purchase beverage alcohol via telephone, mail order or the Internet from producers and retailers in other states. These sales, commonly known as “mail order sales,” are illegal because they bypass the State’s greedy distributor lobby who bought the necessary politicians to create the current arcane regulatory system for controlling liquor. Some of the problems caused by mail order sales involve some issues we really don't care about, but that sound good politically, and loss of tax revenue, which we do care about with every fiber of our being, and reduced profits for liquor distributors (whose generous contributions help ensure that New Jersey will continue to have the best legislature money can buy).

added third fix.

laurawhiteoak

quality posts: 3 Private Messages laurawhiteoak
gcdyersb wrote:I can. A moderately priced wine from an expensive region more often than not will under-perform relative to its price-peers from less inflated regions. Though with the bad economy there definitely is more high quality blending wine around that might go into mid-tier wines.

Our White Oak wines are moderately priced, hand picked, hand made, from exclusively our own vineyards. We have a reputation for producing consistently delicious award winning wines year after year.