+ Add a Comment

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Updated 4/30/2011

Bottling is Saturday, May 14 @ 10 am.
CyberPub Cellars Pub Blend #2
70% Barbera - Amador, 20% PS - Suisun Valley, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon - Suisun Valley.

EVERYONE is welcome to join us in Vegas for a fun weekend!

Please hit the comments below with your input!

Event Schedule
Saturday 10 am bottling
Saturday noonish - dim sum lunch at Chang's at the Decatur location.
Here's the website.
Saturday after lunch - bowling at Red Rock
Saturday evening - dinner/dessert/tasting at sanity's

Dinner will be a tapas menu prepared by Cyn City Cuisine. Cost is $50 per person. See this post for menu info.
Sunday breakfast - Hash House-A-Go-Go at M Resort. Time TBA

Attendees

sanity and mr sanity
sanity's fun friends
ddeuddeg and bahwm - Bodegas Y Vinedos del Jalon Claraval Calatayud 2006 (100% old vine Garnacha)
Bodegas Penafiel Miros de Ribera Private Collection Reserva 2001 (100% Tempranillo)
Cheron98 - Luzon (Jumilla), which is a Monastrell blend (w/Tempranillo and Cab Sauv), but I may also drag out the Garnacha Blanca and a Parcel 17 (Monastrell, Mazuelo (Carignane), and Graciano)
MarkDaSpark - 750ml 1869 and Ty Caton Field Blend to the bottling
Roca Berdi (80%Macabeo, 20% Xarel-lo) and a spanish Brut Reserva Cava, Prager White and PS Port
tenuki - half bottle 95 neopoort colheita, bottled in 06, so 11 years in barrel
imagine4vr - 2007 Campo Viejo Rioja 85% Tempranillo, 10% Grenache and 5% Mazuelo.
2009 Penelope Sanchez 85% Grenache, 15% Syrah[/quote]
HAK - 2008 Bodega Mustiguillo Valencia Mestís which is 50% Bobal.

Regrets
mewalk707
Wendy
javadrinker+1
klezman+1

Grape Expectations Website
Pics of Crush and Bottling
Link for the Thread for the 1st Crush in October 2009
Link for the 2nd Crush in October 2010

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

ddeuddeg & I are definites! Plane reservations made.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Wendy & I will be there. She may or may not be bringing her boyfriend. Not sure yet.

I was considering using the 2 free night voucher thing from MonteLago, but, y'know, it kind of sucked being so far away. It expires in June though.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Count me in ... and I suspect Java will be there +1 .....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

I'm posting about hotel rooms in the other thread and you don't assume I'm going ?

CT

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

Unfortunately I'm only a maybe for this. All depends on Mom.

sanity

tenuki wrote:I'm posting about hotel rooms in the other thread and you don't assume I'm going ?

So sorry
...You're now on the list.

sanity

Now is the time to start discussing activities for the weekend and especially dinner/tasting ideas for Saturday evening.

Remember, bottling is at 10 am.

Theme for tasting? This weekend at Scott Harvey's I broached the idea for a port tasting.

Bowling?

Hash House? (now at M Resort, too)

Hiking?

cheron98

Flight is officially booked, arriving Friday night @ 11:35pm (ugh), departing Tuesday morning @ 6:00am (ugh), but staying on the strip. Forfeiting the 2-night voucher.

Anyone want it?

Oh yes, and Wendy's boyfriend will not be joining us.

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:Now is the time to start discussing activities for the weekend and especially dinner/tasting ideas for Saturday evening.

Remember, bottling is at 10 am.

Theme for tasting? This weekend at Scott Harvey's I broached the idea for a port tasting.

Bowling?

Hash House? (now at M Resort, too)

Hiking?

Hmmm ... We should probably drop off our wine back in our rooms before going to lunch (not good sitting in a hot car) on Saturday.

Do we want to go to HH (on Sahara) for lunch, and then do the bowling and/or hiking after that? We've mostly gone to HH for breakfast (which is fine with me).

I was thinking if most of us are on the strip, we drop off, change, and head to HH on Sahara, then off to Red Rock for Bowling and/or Hiking.

Or someplace else for Lunch less filling. Then maybe Bowling at 2 and Hiking (for those that want to) around 4 or 5 with meeting for dinner around 7?

The dinner suggestions Sanity made this past weekend were all good. Oh, and Mewalk and I have a SH 1869 Magnum to share with all, either at the bottling or at the dinner.

If Java+1 is able to make it, I suspect they will need to head home on Sunday afternoon, which is why I'm suggesting Bowling on Saturday afternoon.

Sunday morning could be open, for those wanting to sleep in or go to HH (Imperial Palace?) for breakfast or Church.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

Hmmm...flights are ~$150 at the cheapest right now, but $200 for more useful times. The drive is ~10 hours or so. Hmmm.

This would be tons of fun, so, um, definitely maybe?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

sanity

MarkDaSpark wrote:Hmmm ... We should probably drop off our wine back in our rooms before going to lunch (not good sitting in a hot car) on Saturday.

We are happy to arrange to ferry all the wine back to our house after the bottling and keep it until the tasting dinner or when ever if that works better for later activities.

Do we want to go to HH (on Sahara) for lunch, and then do the bowling and/or hiking after that? We've mostly gone to HH for breakfast (which is fine with me).

Personally, I prefer HH lunch and dinner over breakfast, so that's OK. If you HH breakfast junkies must eat there fro breakfast we can always do that Sat or Sun.

I was thinking if most of us are on the strip, we drop off, change, and head to HH on Sahara, then off to Red Rock for Bowling and/or Hiking.

Or someplace else for Lunch less filling. Then maybe Bowling at 2 and Hiking (for those that want to) around 4 or 5 with meeting for dinner around 7?

Either plan sounds good. I will be able to host dinner after all, so that is an option unless you all would rather go to a restaurant.

The dinner suggestions Sanity made this past weekend were all good. Oh, and Mewalk and I have a SH 1869 Magnum to share with all, either at the bottling or at the dinner.

If we do a tasting after the bottling, I'll bring a nice tray of goodies like before - cheese, bread, grapes, etc.

If Java+1 is able to make it, I suspect they will need to head home on Sunday afternoon, which is why I'm suggesting Bowling on Saturday afternoon.

of course!

Sunday morning could be open, for those wanting to sleep in or go to HH (Imperial Palace?) for breakfast or Church.

tenuki

Kinda browsing restaurants now for breakfast things I haven't tried. Neither's really close to bottling place but I'm curious on thoughts about Off the Strip, and Jamm's? I'll have to try them at some point.

CT

sanity

tenuki wrote:Kinda browsing restaurants now for breakfast things I haven't tried. Neither's really close to bottling place but I'm curious on thoughts about Off the Strip, and Jamm's? I'll have to try them at some point.

OTS only does dinner. I have not visited Jamms in years, I'll have to visit again soon. They are only a couple blocks away from HH Sahara.

tenuki

sanity wrote:OTS only does dinner. I have not visited Jamms in years, I'll have to visit again soon. They are only a couple blocks away from HH Sahara.

Ah oops. Hmm, maybe we can do dim sum or something for breakfast/lunch? No strong feelings, I still love HH, just throwing it out there since some people did want other options.

CT

Imagine4vr

tenuki wrote:Ah oops. Hmm, maybe we can do dim sum or something for breakfast/lunch? No strong feelings, I still love HH, just throwing it out there since some people did want other options.

It would be nice for us to branch out and do/try some new things

MarkDaSpark

Imagine4vr wrote:It would be nice for us to branch out and do/try some new things

Never!!! We must continue to do everything the exact same way!!!! Anarchist!!!

Wouldn't mind Dim Sum for lunch/dinner. Breakfast though??? Nyet. I wantz my eggs!

And I liked the idea of going out for a wine dinner, because then Sanity wouldn't have to spend time prepping her house.

Hmm, how about dinner out someplace with wine, and then we go back for Port & Cigars? I haz Port!

Prager White Port, as well as other non-PS ports (of course, I will be bringing some PS Ports!). Wanted to pick up another Wellington White Port, since I'm not sure I still have one, but since they closed early, not to be.

Edit: While CT shows I have two, I'm pretty sure I've had one, and not sure if I brought the 2nd one to a gathering. Will have to check the next time I'm at my lockers.

Imagine4vr

MarkDaSpark wrote:Never!!! We must continue to do everything the exact same way!!!! Anarchist!!!

Wouldn't mind Dim Sum for lunch/dinner. Breakfast though??? Nyet. I wantz my eggs!

And I liked the idea of going out for a wine dinner, because then Sanity wouldn't have to spend time prepping her house.

Hmm, how about dinner out someplace with wine, and then we go back for Port & Cigars? I haz Port!

Prager White Port, as well as other non-PS ports (of course, I will be bringing some PS Ports!). Wanted to pick up another Wellington White Port, since I'm not sure I still have one, but since they closed early, not to be.

Edit: While CT shows I have two, I'm pretty sure I've had one, and not sure if I brought the 2nd one to a gathering. Will have to check the next time I'm at my lockers.

Dim dum would be awesome.

I also like the idea of going out to dinner and making less work for sanity.

I have the set of KR ports (minus the Sausao) that I'd be happy to bring.

My plan is to be there, but never know how my situation may change before then.

MarkDaSpark

Imagine4vr wrote:Dim dum would be awesome.

I also like the idea of going out to dinner and making less work for sanity.

I have the set of KR ports (minus the Sausao) that I'd be happy to bring.

My plan is to be there, but never know how my situation may change before then.

I also have the full set of KR ports I could bring, since I just got another 2 sets at his December specials. Not Woot pricing, but still .....

cheron98

Is anyone else planning on staying through Monday, or just me & Wendy?

Hotel booked: Tropicana, through Priceline, $75/night

sanity

I enjoy having everyone over. I thought we might be in the midst of remodeling, but we are putting that off till fall, so we can do a gathering here if you all prefer.

I also can look for a venue that will be hospitable to a larger group, and come back to my place for desserts and port and cigars. We kicked around the idea of a port-like tasting. I have the KR set as well (thanks HAK and tenuki!), Forte, and quite a few others.

Dim Sum sounds fun for lunch. I'll check it out.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So I'm starting to lean towards attending, after getting some additional nudging tonight. There are surprisingly a few options for me to actually use my SWA Award ticket (though stops & travel times suck) so that helps with the decision.
If I did come, I'd prefer options that save money, such as party at Sanity's instead of eating out. Plus I always prefer the more relaxed settings of tastings at a non-restaurant location. And even if she wouldn't "accept it", I'd be willing to toss her some cash for hosting us (rather than tossing such to a restaurant).
I'm also not all that big on a port tasting, but that could stem from the fact we pretty much already did one here in NYC a couple years ago. I guess I'd just have to bring wine of my own to add to the pre-port wines.
I've never had (and don't really know what it is) dim sum before, so can't really chime in on that.
Anyway, I'll probably make a decision tomorrow on whether I'm coming or not (after I confirm with my boss that taking those days would be ok, which I'm sure it would be). Since I'll be at work tomorrow from 9-3. Blah, time to finish off the rest of this Piave cheese and '05 Noceto Riserva, so I can go to bed I guess.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Is anyone else planning on staying through Monday, or just me & Wendy?

Hotel booked: Tropicana, through Priceline, $75/night

I might ... not sure if I want to fight the traffic back on Sunday afternoon/evening.

MarkDaSpark

Also, just in case someone missed it last time .... The Official CyberPub Bowling Shirt

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Wanted to pick up another Wellington White Port, since I'm not sure I still have one, but since they closed early, not to be.

We can bring a Wellington White Port, if that helps ease your mind.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:We can bring a Wellington White Port, if that helps ease your mind.

Yes. Would like to compare the two of them.

klezman

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I've never had (and don't really know what it is) dim sum before, so can't really chime in on that.

*gasp!*

If only you'd mentioned that when you were here I'd have directed you to one of 3 or 4 excellent dim sum places. In fact, I just went to one of them for brunch today! You're really missing out...dumplings, tasty shrimp and pork bites of awesomeness. *drool*

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tenuki

klezman wrote:*gasp!*

If only you'd mentioned that when you were here I'd have directed you to one of 3 or 4 excellent dim sum places. In fact, I just went to one of them for brunch today! You're really missing out...dumplings, tasty shrimp and pork bites of awesomeness. *drool*

Yeah, I think that's sort of how I feel about people that haven't had pho either. They're both cheap and delicious experiences, what do you mean you haven't tried them?

Went to one dim sum place in Vegas, was good but not great. Doesn't seem to be a go to place in Vegas looking at yelp reviews though.

CT

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
klezman wrote:*gasp!*

Oooh, where???

klezman

CAGrl wrote:Oooh, where???

Yesterday was Hong Kong Saigon Seafood Harbour (Lawrence Expwy near 101). There's also Pan Tao (Now has a new name - Homestead & Wolfe). Those are the cheaper ones. The more expensive and marginally better ones are Dynasty (Wolfe/280) and Joy Luck Place (Homestead & Wolfe). The most expensive but definitely highest quality is Koi Palace (Serramonte just off 280).

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
klezman wrote:Yesterday was Hong Kong Saigon Seafood Harbour (Lawrence Expwy near 101). There's also Pan Tao (Now has a new name - Homestead & Wolfe). Those are the cheaper ones. The more expensive and marginally better ones are Dynasty (Wolfe/280) and Joy Luck Place (Homestead & Wolfe). The most expensive but definitely highest quality is Koi Palace (Serramonte just off 280).

I miss dim sum. Haven't tried the first 2 or Koi Palace. Heard great things about Koi but just never went up that way. When I get back, I'm so stuffing my face.

sanity

The latest from Charlie at Grape Expectations:

BEHOLD: The Power of the Grape
CELEBRATION: St. Paddy’s Day - Grape Expectations Style
WHEN: Saturday, March 19, 2011
WHERE: Henderson, NV (Water Street)
DETAILS:

- Our legendary participation in the 2011 “Sons Of Erin Parade” will include the Grape Expectations float comprised of the O’Bacchus throne, an “I love Lucy” tub (complete with fair maidens), a podium that will house the musical director, KJ Howe, as he conducts YOU AND FELLOW WINEMAKERS in the “TRAIN WRECK MARCHING BAND” and new this year, our float will include a red 1942 Fire Engine.

· As a winemaking member of the “TRAIN WRECK MARCHING BAND”, you are required to bring with you a musical instrument that you DON’T KNOW HOW TO PLAY. If you don’t own one, we found a place that will let you rent them at a very reasonable rate: Kessler & Sons, 3047 East Charleston, and 702.385.2263.

· Parade uniforms are the same as last years’…an Irish green CORK SQUAD T-SHIRT. If you would like to purchase a new shirt, they are available for $10.00 (men sizes – small, medium, large, XL, XXL and XXXL). In case it’s chilly you may want to order one shirt size bigger so you can “layer up”. Please email me at umakeadawine@aol.com with the number and sizes.

· The parade route is the length of WATER ST. in Henderson (Approx. ¾ of a mile, South to North). Unfortunately, we are unable to give anyone a ride back to his or her initial parking spot, so parking somewhere near the middle of the parade route is suggested.

· Drinking on the parade route is prohibited so please be a good Grape Expectations ambassador and comply. We will have a BLOODY MARY buffet in our own private staging area very near the parade starting point. The Bloody Mary buffet is a large cup of our homemade mix with or without alcohol accompanied by a variety of accouterments. Keep in mind it is not breakfast!

· The Grape Expectations meeting place is in the parking lot of EMERY’S RESTAURANT, 306 Water St., Henderson, NV 89015 located at the south end of Water St. (South West corner of Water & E. Basic). Look for the official Grape Expectations party bus (with Grape X banner) and the 1-800 GOT JUNK truck that will be parked in Emery’s parking lot parallel to Water St. We will be assembling for Bloody Marys between 8:30am and 10:00am. The parade starts at 10:00am - SHARP. If you miss the start, please feel free to catch up and join in.

· A post parade party is schedule for one hour after our participation in the parade has ended. It will be held at Grape Expectations and will include draft beer, wine, Larry’s homemade clam chowder, pork roll sliders and much more. Please let me know via email how many people you expect to attend so I can ensure we have enough food and drinks.

· Not everyone will be receiving this notice, so please share this info with ALL OF YOUR BARREL MATES. Let’s make sure no one is left out. Any ideas or questions Please call 806-3383.

sanity

I'll chime in on dim sum for lunch, and also ask tenuki if he visited any of the places I suggested before, and if so, the verdict?

2 places that I would recommend that are reasonably priced and will not break the bank, that are open for lunch, and can accommodate large groups, are:
PING PANG PONG, In the Gold Coast Hotel and Casino
Click on menu link for selection and prices.
4000 West Flamingo Rd.

ORCHIDS GARDEN (no site, check them out on yelp, urbanspoon, etc.)
5485 West Sahara Ave.

Many of the smaller places in town cannot accommodate a group our size (and even the places that can, I will call ahead and make arrangements), or are not open for lunch, or are triple in price without the requisite increase in quality, value, service and atmosphere.

tenuki

sanity wrote:I'll chime in on dim sum for lunch, and also ask tenuki if he visited any of the places I suggested before, and if so, the verdict?

2 places that I would recommend that are reasonably priced and will not break the bank, that are open for lunch, and can accommodate large groups, are:
PING PANG PONG, In the Gold Coast Hotel and Casino
Click on menu link for selection and prices.
4000 West Flamingo Rd.

ORCHIDS GARDEN (no site, check them out on yelp, urbanspoon, etc.)
5485 West Sahara Ave.

Many of the smaller places in town cannot accommodate a group our size (and even the places that can, I will call ahead and make arrangements), or are not open for lunch, or are triple in price without the requisite increase in quality, value, service and atmosphere.

Don't remember where we went, definitely not in a casino though.

Also got the Hilton flyer in the mail yesterday, 3 night stay + some extras for $129 and they have no resort fees, so it's an option I'm looking at. Normally I'd wait for the slot tournament flyer but if our bottling is Sat. morning, I couldn't participate

CT

Imagine4vr

I made reservations at the Rio and am tentatively scheduled to leave on Monday - but I might leave Sunday night. To be determined.

And please change my maybe to a yes, I'll be there.

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
klezman wrote:Hmmm...flights are ~$150 at the cheapest right now, but $200 for more useful times. The drive is ~10 hours or so. Hmmm.

This would be tons of fun, so, um, definitely maybe?

Last time I swore I wasn't going to drive again next time. Well here it is next time and i'm considering driving again :p Especially if someone wants to help with the gas bill. Let me know if you'd like to carpool.

sanity

mewalk707 wrote:Last time I swore I wasn't going to drive again next time. Well here it is next time and i'm considering driving again :p Especially if someone wants to help with the gas bill. Let me know if you'd like to carpool.

I used to drive it often; I would do it again after last weekend's drive. I only made 2 stops both directions, which made it seem faster. The 5 has more trucks than the 99, but the 5 has fewer towns. The drive would have been better with a partner.

cheron98

This is my target. This is my goal. On this horrid diet until about 3 weeks before Vegas. Then I have a 2 week "maintenance" thing. Then a full week of working myself back up to normal eating. And with a little luck, none of you will recognize me

I'm already finding myself not needing nearly as much food to feel full, so if we go to Hash House, I'm going to have a lot of leftovers. Probably.

tenuki

So I don't normally check on sharing a room since I've done the cheap thing the last few times, but one of the deals coming up in my search for the weekend is $600 for flight and rooms at the Mandarin 13th-15th, which basically makes the rooms around $200 a night on a weekend, and I've always wanted to try them. Just judging interest in sharing a room for now, most likely I'll go cheaper but who knows, maybe I'll spoil myself

CT

MarkDaSpark

mewalk707 wrote:Last time I swore I wasn't going to drive again next time. Well here it is next time and i'm considering driving again :p Especially if someone wants to help with the gas bill. Let me know if you'd like to carpool.

When are you going and heading back? Friday and then Sunday or Monday?

Only 4 or so hours from my house, depending on the time of day.