cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

UPDATED 9/28

Churrascaria!!! A love of large, grilled meat, in the South American Tradition. And all those luscious, South American Wines that go with them!!!

While the deck won't be completed, that won't stop us from celebrating groundbreaking on hershelk's new backyard! The celebratory "wetting of the wood", so to speak.

Wine. Meat. What more do we need to say?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: October 1
Time: 5pm
Host: hershelk
Theme: South American Wines and Large Grilled Meats!!!

Attending:
1. hershelk (Torrontes)
2. cjsiege (TBD, Chimichurri Sauces)
3. InShadows (2010 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Casillero del Diablo, Flank Steak)
4. aranderson (???, veggie skewers)
5. sukeiasa
6. mstein609 (2007 Fabre-Montmayou Malbec Gran Reserva, Lamb)
7. tripgrad (Argentine Malbec)
8. mewalk707 (TBD)
9. mstein609 +1 (Trumpeter Malbec-Syrah)

Maybes:
* jwhite6114
* iByron
* Alaska1
* akrenee
* Lighter
* Lighter +1

Regrets:
* kkv123
* wkdpanda
* k1avg
* chemvictim

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

If we are inaugurating the new outdoors, I wouldn't want to schedule before late August. Things are just in their planning stage and construction once begun will take 3 to 4 months. Maybe this should be more like #25 or #26.

CT

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Please make this late in the month!

I will be in Chicago and possibly Rhode Island the first half of August. I've got some great Uruguayans to bring for this!

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

iByron wrote:Please make this late in the month!

I will be in Chicago and possibly Rhode Island the first half of August. I've got some great Uruguayans to bring for this!

iByron

Not to worry. Accd to hershelk, late Aug will be the *soonest* we can hold this event. So, just put a hold on all of your weekends from 8/20 to 9/17.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Hmmm, weekends of Aug 27 and Sep 3 are out for me. Those are the only two booked right now.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

hershelk

Been working with the landscape builders and it has taken longer then expected to get a plan in place. Still have engineering and permitting before construction starts. Even if everything goes according to plan, the project won't be done till the end of September. Maybe we should plan some events before this one, or we may have to move the Churrascaria to another venue.

CT

cjsiege

hershelk wrote:Been working with the landscape builders... the project won't be done till the end of September. Maybe we should plan some events before this one, or we may have to move the Churrascaria to another venue.

But that would be much sadness! Maybe we do hold another GTG in the interim, but I just can't imagine holding our churrascaria anywhere else!

iByron

cjsiege wrote:But that would be much sadness! Maybe we do hold another GTG in the interim, but I just can't imagine holding our churrascaria anywhere else!

I agree. We have to inaugurate the place! Perhaps another OW/NW varietal thing in the interim?

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

iByron wrote:I agree. We have to inaugurate the place! Perhaps another OW/NW varietal thing in the interim?

Maybe Rhone Rangers OW/NW?

iByron

cjsiege wrote:Maybe Rhone Rangers OW/NW?

I would be into that, though a lot of Rhône stuff would be completely appropriate for a Churrascaria-themed gathering.

What if we re-visit the "big eight?" There's a lot of newbies at NoVA/DC now and those varietals -- Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, & Syrah/Shiraz -- form the backbone of the industry and the foundation of any wineau's knowledge.

And you know I'm all about the education!!

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

Or we could go another route: National Grapes!

The theme built around the anchor grapes of various nations' wine indurstries: Argentine Malbec. Chilean Carmenere. New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Italian Sangiovese. Spanish Tempranillo. US Petite Sirah or Zinfandel. Uruguayan Tannat.

That could be a great session.

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

iByron wrote:Or we could go another route: National Grapes!

The theme built around the anchor grapes of various nations' wine indurstries: Argentine Malbec. Chilean Carmenere. New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Italian Sangiovese. Spanish Tempranillo. US Petite Sirah or Zinfandel. Uruguayan Tannat.

That could be a great session.

iByron

I'll start a new thread this evening...

cjsiege

*bump*

Updated the leading post.

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I def. want to attend this event. I just hope the date works out, but I believe it should. I will need to visit my sister sometime in probably early September to meet my niece. It sounds like this event won't be until October anyways so I should be available to attend.

CT

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707

I'm going to be in DC for a conference Oct 3-5. I plan on going a few days early or staying a few days after. I would love to make it to this party. Just pick the right date... weekend before or weekend after. Will groveling help?

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

How about this - to make up for ditching the July gathering for some bloody football match, I'll bring my prized 1996-1997-1998 vertical of Rolf Binder Veritas Shiraz to this one. Perhaps not South American, per the theme, but Shiraz is the quintessential summer grill wine, all three bottles are not long for this world, and though I'd like to drink the vertical all together, I couldn't possibly drink them all myself at the same time. I can't think of a better group to finally break them out for.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

hershelk

mewalk707 wrote:I'm going to be in DC for a conference Oct 3-5. I plan on going a few days early or staying a few days after. I would love to make it to this party. Just pick the right date... weekend before or weekend after. Will groveling help?

Timing on this has to do with completion of some Landscaping which is already a week behind schedule. It will more likely be mid to late October, the way things are looking, but I should know better by mid August or so.

CT

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1
cjsiege wrote:OK - if you all were planning a theme this good - you'd start planning this early too!!!

Churrascaria!!! A love of large, grilled meat, in the South American Tradition. And all those luscious, South American Wines that go with them!!!

We will also be inaugurating hershelk's new deck and backyard! The celebratory "wetting of the wood", so to speak.

Wine. Meat. What more do we need to say?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: Late September or Early October
Time:
Host: hershelk
Theme: South American Wines and Large Grilled Meats!!!

Attending:
1. hershelk
2. cjsiege
3. kkv123
4. InShadows
5. aranderson
6. k1avg

Maybes:
* jwhite6114
* iByron
* mewalk707
* Alaska 1 +1. ;-)
Regrets:

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

Alaska1

We are sooooo far behind, we REALLY want to make this one. We will keep you updated. Ohhh and baby is due 7/7/11. We are waiting. Renee is ready, and wants this baby out.

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

Alaska1

Ooohhhh Very, very nice. :-)

hershelk

Alaska1 wrote:We are sooooo far behind, we REALLY want to make this one. We will keep you updated. Ohhh and baby is due 7/7/11. We are waiting. Renee is ready, and wants this baby out.

Babies are always welcome. We can do really small pours.

CT

cjsiege

hershelk wrote:Babies are always welcome. We can do really small pours.

And there are lots of loving, willing hands around to coo and entertain babies while papa and mama get a little break!

Alaska1

:-)

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
cjsiege wrote:And there are lots of loving, willing hands around to coo and entertain babies while papa and mama get a little break!

And we can always play my favorite South Park inspired game - Kick the Baby!

okay, no kick the baby...

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

Alaska1

You guys are funny! We will try our hardest to get to this one. And with our new place we MIGHT be able to host a Woot. :-)

hershelk

We may want to rethink the location of this one. The landscaping project is a month behind schedule and they haven't even started yet due to hold ups with the permits from Fairfax County. Even if they started tomorrow, it wouldn't be done till the end of October and I haven't received any word yet on when they might begin. Not sure how cold we want to let it get for the the grilling event.

CT

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
hershelk wrote:We may want to rethink the location of this one. The landscaping project is a month behind schedule and they haven't even started yet due to hold ups with the permits from Fairfax County. Even if they started tomorrow, it wouldn't be done till the end of October and I haven't received any word yet on when they might begin. Not sure how cold we want to let it get for the the grilling event.

What is "cold?" I do not understand this strange concept.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

cjsiege

*bump*

So. We've got some fresh planning to do. The backyard and deck will not be quite done (thank you county permit dorks!), but hershelk has said his grill could still be cooking up large meat for us. We just won't have a lovely deck to sit on.

Shall we still aim for October? What are the deconfliction points for October? Yom Kippur is Oct 8.

Please post your thoughts!

wkdpanda

Only real conflict, would be holding in on the weekend that the NY crew is thinking of a Finger Lakes tour. My aunt in Rochester was really promoting that area to me, last winter. I looked at the calendar for October, and nothing jumped out at me.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

sounds fun! please put me down as a maybe for now...

by the way... any recommendations for wine storage around the area? I moved out to DC in June and left my wine in California because i don't know where to store them...

thanks!

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609
sukeiasa wrote:
by the way... any recommendations for wine storage around the area? I moved out to DC in June and left my wine in California because i don't know where to store them...

thanks!

I have no personal knowledge about either, but there are two of which I am aware, one in DC and one in Fairfax:

http://www.dcwinestorage.com/
http://tinyurl.com/3arak5a

(Second link redirects to Wilkinson Wine Cellars - the full URL is so long it seemed to get truncated when I saw the post.)

mstein609

cjsiege wrote:*bump*

Shall we still aim for October? What are the deconfliction points for October? Yom Kippur is Oct 8.

Beige ... I think I'll paint the ceiling beige ...

Oops - you probably aren't interested in those thoughts.

The only Saturdays that work for me are the 1st and 29th. For Sunday, 9, 16, and 30 are good.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa
mstein609 wrote:I have no personal knowledge about either, but there are two of which I am aware, one in DC and one in Fairfax:

http://www.dcwinestorage.com/
http://tinyurl.com/3arak5a

(Second link redirects to Wilkinson Wine Cellars - the full URL is so long it seemed to get truncated when I saw the post.)

thanks. I've seen both places on the internet, but was a bit shocked at how little information they provide on the website... Guess I'll just dig further....

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mewalk707

cjsiege wrote:*bump*

So. We've got some fresh planning to do. The backyard and deck will not be quite done (thank you county permit dorks!), but hershelk has said his grill could still be cooking up large meat for us. We just won't have a lovely deck to sit on.

I will be in the area the weekend of the 1st.

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
mewalk707 wrote:I will be in the area the weekend of the 1st.

Even if we don't have the churrascaria during the first weekend in October, I'm sure we can get a few of us together at a wine bar/winery or something similar to have a meet & greet.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

mstein609

mstein609 wrote:For Sunday, 9, 16, and 30 are good.

Add the 2nd to that, actually.

mewalk707

InShadows wrote:Even if we don't have the churrascaria during the first weekend in October, I'm sure we can get a few of us together at a wine bar/winery or something similar to have a meet & greet.

I would love that! My weekend plans are still up in the air... not even sure where i'm staying yet.

wkdpanda

Any further updates on deciding the date?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

wkdpanda wrote:Any further updates on deciding the date?

Not until hershelk chimes in.

hershelk

cjsiege wrote:Not until hershelk chimes in.

It seems like October 1 works the best for people, and I am OK with that. I will be getting back in town most likely the evening of the 30th but can probably be ready. There will not be any big new landscape patio set up as they have not even started yet due to county issues, but I do have a grill that I can set up on thy driveway. I hope to have a big hole in the backyard by then that I can point to and say "there will be a pool."

CT