MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Edit: Updated 4/14/2011

Upon review, this is #16 (Krista/Cesare's Hawaii Pitstop was 14, last summer when HaK stopped was 15).

Okay, since getting the house into shape is taking a little longer than expected (EPA is really, really tough on toxic dump sites!) ... and my Wine Locker has a nice place to share wines.

I thought, I can host a gathering there!

(closest to my lockers)

The other building also has space to host as well ...

So, what Saturdays in March/April are open for peeples? The 13th is out, since I will be in Ontario with Scott Harvey. It's located in Irvine off Jamboree, closer to the 405, but accessible off the 5.

Total Wine in Tustin is just off the 5 and Jamboree, so you could hit there first to look or buy.

We can make it bring your own ... Sparky opens all his Woot Cellar wines (from Monkey Prize on, just missing Rinfrescante) ... or I open other wines of mine. Although on the last two, I will have to ask for $$ contributions!

And I think we are up to #15 ... wasn't last summer's at Java's #14 (after #13 in Vegas)???

---------------------------------------------
Edit: Updated April 14, 2011 9:05 am

Date: April 16th, Saturday
Time: 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm (Dinner afterwards elsewhere)
Host: Sparky at his Irvine Wine Cellar
17141 Murphy Ave, Irvine, CA 92614

Theme: Raid!! (Bring $20 and appetizer for 10) ????

Attending:

• 1. MarkDaSpark
  • 2. Java +1
  • 3. Nostrom0
  • 4. SooChee
  • 5. Nallie +1
  • 7. timetotestit +1
  • 9. Kylemittskus (*)
  • 10. Merbill +1
  • 12. Michelleshari
  • 13. JoelSisk
  • 14. mobrien05 +1
  • 19. ekeavney +1

Maybes:

• Wings2004
  • Kool
  • Tenuki +1 (*)

Regrets:

• Whoever misses this
  • zTimothyBz
  • Sanity +1
  • MadWine
  • MadWineaux
  • SWMBO (Kylemittskus better half)

(*) - no matter what they say, Not Invited

Bring $20 as share of wine (will confirm amount when wine selected, may be less).

Also everyone should bring an appetizer for 10.

Plus we just need to clean up afterwards (leave the room as we found it) to avoid a $50 cleaning fee.

Dinner: TBD
Time: 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm ???

• 1. MarkDaSpark
  • 2. Java +1
  • 3. Nostrom0
  • 4. SooChee
  • 5. Nallie +1
  • 7. timetotestit +1
  • 9. Kylemittskus
  • 10. Merbill +1

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

How many people can that place realistically hold? And make sure to include "jackets necessary" as it's an igloo in there.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
kylemittskus wrote:How many people can that place realistically hold? And make sure to include "jackets necessary" as it's an igloo in there.

And is he really asking people to pick between little bitty stools that look like they'd fall over without any help from drunken people or leather couches with a sofa?

CT

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:And is he really asking people to pick between little bitty stools that look like they'd fall over without any help from drunken people or leather couches with a sofa?

Yes .... depends on how close to the wine you want to be!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes .... depends on how close to the wine you want to be!

In my hand, preferably with a glass, but I'd take the bottle too

CT

kylemittskus

tenuki wrote:In my hand, preferably with a glass, but I'd take the bottle too

The dekantr iz mines?

tenuki

kylemittskus wrote:The dekantr iz mines?

Ooh, picture just popped into my mind, we could totally fix the vinturi stands so you could vinturi right into someone's waiting mouth!

CT

kylemittskus

tenuki wrote:Ooh, picture just popped into my mind, we could totally fix the vinturi stands so you could vinturi right into someone's waiting mouth!

This is getting weird. Are Nallie and MadWine hanging around these parts?

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:The dekantr iz mines?

Okay, everyone but kyle and tenuki are welcome to attend. I will be sending address to everyone else but them, so don't tell them where!!!

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Sparky, the 13th you mention above is a Sunday.

Which brings me to dates I think I can do...I think I can do Saturday, the 12th.

The weekend after is my nephew's b-day party (tentatively scheduled at least) and the weekend after that might hold other relative's birthday parties (although not as sure about that date).

Of course, we could always try to squeeze it in on the 5th.

So, yeah, put me down as a maybe. And I have no problem helping you drink down your stash as long as the buy in is reasonable. Keep it under $20...I's poor.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I see Sparky is following my lead, after "Raiding HAKs Cellar" was done last month. And I realized after the fact that I should have also included at least a small minimal $$ contribution in addition to the food. My initial thought of everyone else brings the food-stuffs and I open the wine, ended up with me opening over $175 of wine while others probably spent $20-30ish on the munchies they brought.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

javadrinker

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I see Sparky is following my lead, after "Raiding HAKs Cellar" was done last month. And I realized after the fact that I should have also included at least a small minimal $$ contribution in addition to the food. My initial thought of everyone else brings the food-stuffs and I open the wine, ended up with me opening over $175 of wine while others probably spent $20-30ish on the munchies they brought.

Oh boo hoo to both of you. No one forced you to buy thousands of dollars worth of wine. If it wasn't for your free loading wino friends you'd never drink down your respective stashes.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Sparky, the 13th you mention above is a Sunday.

Which brings me to dates I think I can do...I think I can do Saturday, the 12th.

The weekend after is my nephew's b-day party (tentatively scheduled at least) and the weekend after that might hold other relative's birthday parties (although not as sure about that date).

Of course, we could always try to squeeze it in on the 5th.

So, yeah, put me down as a maybe. And I have no problem helping you drink down your stash as long as the buy in is reasonable. Keep it under $20...I's poor.

Yeah, thinking about that, with everyone bringing something to share for noshing.

Just have to make sure that I'm not expected there on the 12th as well.

What does everyone think for time? Afternoon sometime? 5 pm?

We could always go out to dinner after ... Houston's is close by, as well as some other places in the area. South Coast Winery Restaurant and Tasting Room is just north of South Coast Plaza.

kylemittskus

javadrinker wrote:Oh boo hoo to both of you. No one forced you to buy thousands of dollars worth of wine. If it wasn't for your free loading wino friends you'd never drink down your respective stashes.

The man speaks truth!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I see Sparky is following my lead, after "Raiding HAKs Cellar" was done last month. And I realized after the fact that I should have also included at least a small minimal $$ contribution in addition to the food. My initial thought of everyone else brings the food-stuffs and I open the wine, ended up with me opening over $175 of wine while others probably spent $20-30ish on the munchies they brought.

Baah!
I hosted a raid my cellar, didn't expect anything in return, and also made a prime rib on the grill. Who cares what I spent vs others? Did you have a great time? Yes? Then it's worth it.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:Baah!
I hosted a raid my cellar, didn't expect anything in return, and also made a prime rib on the grill. Who cares what I spent vs others? Did you have a great time? Yes? Then it's worth it.

This man speaks truth, too!

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yeah, thinking about that, with everyone bringing something to share for noshing.

Just have to make sure that I'm not expected there on the 12th as well.

What does everyone think for time? Afternoon sometime? 5 pm?

We could always go out to dinner after ... Houston's is close by, as well as some other places in the area. South Coast Winery Restaurant and Tasting Room is just north of South Coast Plaza.

Or how about Saturday, April 2nd, instead of March? We can theme it along an April Fool's sort of thing...maybe you try to stump your guests with some of your wines. Of course, the real April Fool's joke will be how we tell you we're going to pitch in...then don't.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:This man speaks truth, too!

Fine. We can have it at your NEW house! That's the truth too!

otolith

javadrinker wrote:Oh boo hoo to both of you. No one forced you to buy thousands of dollars worth of wine. If it wasn't for your free loading wino friends you'd never drink down your respective stashes.

Amen, brotha!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Or how about Saturday, April 2nd, instead of March? We can theme it along an April Fool's sort of thing...maybe you try to stump your guests with some of your wines. Of course, the real April Fool's joke will be how we tell you we're going to pitch in...then don't.

April 2nd would work as well ... and I could surprise you with all the wines that are past their prime! Surprise!

otolith

Hey, my annual Academy meeting this year is in San Fran in Sept. I may try sweet talkin' my wife into either going out with me for a few days, or, if she doesn't want to join me, go out earlier myself with a couple of my colleagues. So, any of yous up for some debauchery?

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

No one is forcing us to share them as well ... although at this point ....

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Hey, my annual Academy meeting this year is in San Fran in Sept. I may try sweet talkin' my wife into either going out with me for a few days, or, if she doesn't want to join me, go out earlier myself with a couple of my colleagues. So, any of yous up for some debauchery?

I'm fairly certain the NoCal bunch is up for that ...

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm fairly certain the NoCal bunch is up for that ...

NoCal? What're you trying to say? Just because we might get snow we're not in Cal anymore?

CT

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

Sunday the 20th is out, but other days are definitely workable.

Could do a long lunch first, then head to the locker - wouldn't want to drink too much on an empty stomach!

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
otolith wrote:Baah!

Oh, I wasn't complaining. And it was a great time. I just remember the moment my brain realized the specifics. Caught me offguard. Then again, my brain for the past couple months has been rather scrambled by work so that helped me forget it until I saw this thread.
And on that note, it's 9pm. I think I'm going to try to get just a couple more things done, and then head on home from the office. Tomorrow will likely be another ultra late night here.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

otolith

tenuki wrote:NoCal? What're you trying to say? Just because we might get snow we're not in Cal anymore?

If it's during the week, can we go to Denny's?

--John Muir

tenuki

otolith wrote:If it's during the week, can we go to Denny's?

Hey, we're not Miami, we don't shoot you just because you're from out of town! Hmm, actually it's been a while since I've heard about those, wonder if they cleaned up.

CT

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:NoCal? What're you trying to say? Just because we might get snow we're not in Cal anymore?

Ed Zachery!

otolith

tenuki wrote:Hey, we're not Miami, we don't shoot you just because you're from out of town! Hmm, actually it's been a while since I've heard about those, wonder if they cleaned up.

Maybe I'm a little confused, but I thought it was you who had went to a restaurant that peeps get shot, but only on the weekends.

I've been to San Fran before and can't wait to make it back! I talked to my wife last night and she was open to coming out at the end of the conference to head up to Napa afterward.

--John Muir

tenuki

otolith wrote:Maybe I'm a little confused, but I thought it was you who had went to a restaurant that peeps get shot, but only on the weekends.

I've been to San Fran before and can't wait to make it back! I talked to my wife last night and she was open to coming out at the end of the conference to head up to Napa afterward.

I am, just being a little random.

Yeah, would be great try to get something together while you're out here.

CT

kylemittskus

tenuki wrote:I am, just being a little random.

Yeah, would be great try to get something together while you're out here.

Hey! Stop hijacking our thread!!!

MarkDaSpark

Okay, I looked back, and this is actually SoCal Gathering #16. Krista/Cesare's Hawaii Pitstop was #14, last summer when HaK stopped on his way to the RPM Tour was #15 (it says 14 because we forgot about Krista/Cesare's stopover).

While I'd like to include TimB's parties, those are Absinthe as well as Wine gatherings.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
merbill wrote:Sunday the 20th is out, but other days are definitely workable.

Could do a long lunch first, then head to the locker - wouldn't want to drink too much on an empty stomach!

March!

(or meander, at the very least;)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:Maybe I'm a little confused, but I thought it was you who had went to a restaurant that peeps get shot, but only on the weekends.

DUDE, NEVER use the phrase open to coming out when talking about San Fran!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0

April would be better for me and the other alcoholic I live with. We'll be in Kauai for most of March.

Stash at CT

kylemittskus

Nostrom0 wrote:April would be better for me and the other alcoholic I live with. We'll be in Kauai for most of March.

Tough life you and Soochie have there, huh?

SWMBO and I +1 for April.

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

If I should happen to have a reason to be down in LA, I would definitely come. March and April are pretty busy, though, so it's not terribly likely.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

wings2004

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wings2004

I'm in the general area... ok who am I kidding I'm in the AV, but anything to get out of here, I'm more free later than earlier, april should work too. Looking forward to some crazy winage! Lemme know when, where, and what to bring!

~Wings

tenuki

Haha, just noticed the regrets, thanks! I'll try to make it down some random weekend that'll coincide with the weekend you decide on ;)

CT