bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran

I just found this site
https://www.wineheist.com/index.jsp

Seems like a woot.wine clone. This may be old news, but I thought I would share.
Shipping is expensive unless you order 6 or more, then it's free.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
RRichmo wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but if bottle shock from shipping is a major concern, can Labrat reports ever be accurate?

Bottle shock from travel is a much debated topic, I think there may be a few older threads dedicated to just this. My opinion is that a labrat bottle encounters much less shock, as it is transported overnight on a plane. Compare that to a bottle that spends 5-7 days on a truck bumping its way across the country.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Interesting deal today on a 2007 Oregon Pinot (*edit* unspectactular year *edit*) from a good producer, but the CT ratings give me pause.

It's the Ken Wright Pinot Noir Meredith Mitchell Vineyard Willamette Valley 2007. Normally costs $40-$50 a bottle, but if you buy a six pack you get it for $20 a bottle + $25 shipping for the six pack.

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/Ken-Wright-Pinot-Noir-Meredith-Mitchell-Vineyard-Willamette-Valley-c692.htm

You need to enter KWDIS code at checkout to get the discount price.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

redwinefan

kylemittskus wrote:Always possible. I'm also entirely confused about the blend. The bottle says something like 27% zin, 5.5% PS, ?.5% Syrah (yes, there is a question mark). It's very strange.

I took these stats off their website:

28% Zinfandel, 5.5% Petit Sirah, 2.5% Carignane (and some Mixed White Grapes), and 64% Syrah

They have some interesting info on their tech sheet about how this wine was made. Sorry to hear it isn't that great, but I'm still curious to taste it later this week.

RRichmo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RRichmo
jhkey wrote:Bottle shock from travel is a much debated topic, I think there may be a few older threads dedicated to just this. My opinion is that a labrat bottle encounters much less shock, as it is transported overnight on a plane. Compare that to a bottle that spends 5-7 days on a truck bumping its way across the country.

Those are good points that I should have thought of. Thanks.

Of course that raises the question, do they travel first class and watch soothing movies on their trip?

jhkey

RRichmo wrote:Those are good points that I should have thought of. Thanks.

Of course that raises the question, do they travel first class and watch soothing movies on their trip?

And get free bad wine to drink along the way!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

ericclem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ericclem

For anyone in the NYC area who's interested in a potentially great and FREE wine fridge: nycraigslist.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
redwinefan wrote:Interesting deal today on a 2007 Oregon Pinot (bad year) from a good producer, but the CT ratings give me pause.

It's the Ken Wright Pinot Noir Meredith Mitchell Vineyard Willamette Valley 2007. Normally costs $40-$50 a bottle, but if you buy a six pack you get it for $20 a bottle + $25 shipping for the six pack.

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/Ken-Wright-Pinot-Noir-Meredith-Mitchell-Vineyard-Willamette-Valley-c692.htm

You need to enter KWDIS code at checkout to get the discount price.

How was Oregon bad in 07? I thought it was decent, only just not as good as 08.

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
richardhod wrote:How was Oregon bad in 07? I thought it was decent, only just not as good as 08.

This. 07 wasn't bad, just not as spectacular as 08.

CT Updating, please wait....

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
alexa84 wrote:not an entirely terrible idea. I had the first DeLille offering shipped to my mother in Illinois, so who knows when I'll get to try it. or if she'll drink it first! hmph, that reminds me, she has my Iron Horse sparklers as a result of shipping restrictions too. apparently I need to make a visit home. so much for these things being "deals"! :/

I haven't applied my code yet.. so I cold open a new account. if someone here gives me a code do I gt $10 or do you just get $25..?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
richardhod wrote:I haven't applied my code yet.. so I cold open a new account. if someone here gives me a code do I gt $10 or do you just get $25..?

Just the $25 :-(

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

So, I was looking at Invino. They have some large format Ernest and Julia Gallo. The only thing I think I know about this winery is that they're large production lots, sort of cheap box type wine?

Can anyone confirm/deny? I'm wondering about others experiences with them before I contemplate going in.

CT Updating, please wait....

crabbyman22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22
RRichmo wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but if bottle shock from shipping is a major concern, can Labrat reports ever be accurate?

As a wise man once said,Bottle shock,Schmottle Schmock.Or something.

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)

redwinefan

richardhod wrote:How was Oregon bad in 07? I thought it was decent, only just not as good as 08.

Just posting based on what I've read about the vintage. Don't know from personal experience.

cmaldoon

richardhod wrote:thank you. yes I knew that was my other option. my previous invitational extra dollars expired, I think. I guess I could invite myself, but that might be found out. Anyway, I'd rather we made more money off these humans and split the $25...

I have a $60 voucher I have not entered yet either and am waiting for something good in the proper price range. I have already invited myself once and was planning to again but if you'd like to do a swap that sounds excellent to me.

My Cellar

CiXel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CiXel

You can enter the voucher and 'bank' it, so you don't have to hold onto it.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Has anyone tried either this one or the 2005 Stony Ridge? Input is always appreciated.

jhkey

jmdavidson wrote:Has anyone tried either this one or the 2005 Stony Ridge? Input is always appreciated.

I have a couple of the Ursa from when they were on Woot but I haven't tried them yet. Here's a link to the previous offer and from there you can see the 3 preceding offers in Cesare's post.

- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

jmdavidson

jhkey wrote:I have a couple of the Ursa from when they were on Woot but I haven't tried them yet. Here's a link to the previous offer and from there you can see the 3 preceding offers in Cesare's post.

Thanks for the info. You can buy this from the winery for $16/bottle or for less if you buy more. So, not a substantial savings, but still about 4 bucks.

bdlsmoran

2005 Raymond St. Helena Cabernet Sauvignon for $36.99 up at Lot18.com

cmaldoon

Anyone know anything about the 2005Raymond - St Helena Cab up on Lot 18? I have a 1990 that I will be opening sometime this summer (in celebration for someone who was born that year turning 21) and I'm thinking about grabbing this one for a current comparison.

My Cellar

j0rdantay10r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j0rdantay10r
cmaldoon wrote:Anyone know anything about the 2005Raymond - St Helena Cab up on Lot 18? I have a 1990 that I will be opening sometime this summer (in celebration for someone who was born that year turning 21) and I'm thinking about grabbing this one for a current comparison.

Seems like it may have been a Winery/Tasting Room only release. I can't find it at any retailer but it seems to be one of their higher end cabs as part of their District Collection. Doesn't appear that any of the vintages (recently, at least) of the St. Helena cab have been submitted for critical review.

Looks very tempting. I hate I didn't do the 40/180 BuyWithMe/lot18 flip 100 times. It might be tough to jump on this at $37 and definitely hard to budge at face value ($60). But when you're looking at essentially paying $8.50 for a $60 release cab, it's hard to pass a lot of this stuff up.

Why didn't we realize the awesomeness of this more beforehand to take more advantage of it?

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
j0rdantay10r wrote:
-snip- I hate I didn't do the 40/180 BuyWithMe/lot18 flip 100 times. -snip-

Why didn't we realize the awesomeness of this more beforehand to take more advantage of it?

Yeah, I was going to get started on it last weekend, but I got so busy that I never got around to it, and didn't end up with a single coupon. I am kicking myself daily.

edit: The NYT on why I should stop kicking myself

redwinefan

cmaldoon wrote:Anyone know anything about the 2005Raymond - St Helena Cab up on Lot 18? I have a 1990 that I will be opening sometime this summer (in celebration for someone who was born that year turning 21) and I'm thinking about grabbing this one for a current comparison.

Invino had a three pack of the three 2005 single vineyard Raymonds for $99 (33 each w shipping included IIRC) which included this St. Helena. They blend the three different vineyards together and create their high-end "Generations" cab every year while these single vineyards are usually only available at the winery or in the club.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Some wines by Papietro Perry are up on Rue La La right now. Some Pinot Noirs, and also a pack that includes PN, Zin, & Chard.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

redwinefan

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Some wines by Papietro Perry are up on Rue La Laright now. Some Pinot Noirs, and also a pack that includes PN, Zin, & Chard.

That 2007 Pinot single vineyard pack is kind of tempting especially since I'm sitting on some RLL credit. The last thing I need right now is more wine though.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Some wines by Papietro Perry are up on Rue La La right now. Some Pinot Noirs, and also a pack that includes PN, Zin, & Chard.

Bahwm and I visited their tasting room with mewalk and tenuki last October. Not a huge PN fan, but Russian River is one of the few places in CA where they do well, and these were very well-made wines, IMHO. I felt that they were a bit pricey, and I didn't like their tasting room policy, refusing to waive the tasting fee unless you joined their wine club, whereas most other places we've been will do that if you make a purchase. At these prices, I might be in for a few if it weren't for the SIWBMDTOWC.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Some wines by Papietro Perry are up on Rue La La right now. Some Pinot Noirs, and also a pack that includes PN, Zin, & Chard.

We visited there in Oct. with tenuki and mewalk. The wines were decent but they had a lousy tasting charge refund policy: $10 or whatever for the tasting, credited only if you became a wine club member. Many of the wineries waived the fee with purchase. The wines weren't that good for our tastes and their price per bottle & shipping was more than we wanted to pay--esp. after the tour! However, the prices on Ruelala seem pretty decent.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec

Saw a cellar tracker reviews for the 2005 reserve(admittedly, a different wine) which were quite average. Because of that, I think I'll hold off.

keni805

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keni805

Lowest price I found for the Raymond St Helena was $43 so it's 14% off on lot18.

"A very lush, delicious Cabernet, ready to drink now for its softly oaked flavors of black currants, mocha and ripe plums. But it has the tannic structure to age gracefully for six years. " 90WE 2/09

alexa84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages alexa84
j0rdantay10r wrote:

I'm okay with not having taken more advantage. I got in at the tail end and picked up $300 for $100. since then, nothing worthwhile can ship to AZ (clearly emblazoned above nearly each offering), so the only thing I wanted is now cellaring in Illinois while I sit in the desert. I'd buy glasses, but those aren't my style either. maybe I'll kick myself down the road a bit. here's hoping* :/

*there's an expiration date, right?

<--- is ALWAYS available to rat *** my cellar in progress (don't judge!) ***

currently in training for the CSW exam & very excited about it!

keni805

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keni805
alexa84 wrote:I'm okay with not having taken more advantage. I got in at the tail end and picked up $300 for $100. since then, nothing worthwhile can ship to AZ (clearly emblazoned above nearly each offering), so the only thing I wanted is now cellaring in Illinois while I sit in the desert. I'd buy glasses, but those aren't my style either. maybe I'll kick myself down the road a bit. here's hoping* :/

*there's an expiration date, right?

I think the more recent ones expire in May but the tippr ones expire in August. It's a shame the majority don't to az. Hopefully you can find a way to use up those credits.

alexa84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages alexa84
InFrom wrote:
edit: The NYT on why I should stop kicking myself

XO

<--- is ALWAYS available to rat *** my cellar in progress (don't judge!) ***

currently in training for the CSW exam & very excited about it!

bdlsmoran

New offer at lot18.com

Palmeri Trio: Stagecoach Cabernet/Syrah Blend$129.00 Retail Price$83.99

Trio includes 1x 2004 cab/syrah and 2x 2005 cab/syrah

redwinefan

bdlsmoran wrote:New offer at lot18.com

Palmeri Trio: Stagecoach Cabernet/Syrah Blend$129.00 Retail Price$83.99

Trio includes 1x 2004 cab/syrah and 2x 2005 cab/syrah

I loved the Palmeri Van Ness Syrah from Lot18, so I just used my credit on this three pack. Hopefully they'll bring back some of the other Palmeris as well.

Shipping is included on this 3 pack as well.

jmdavidson

redwinefan wrote:I loved the Palmeri Van Ness Syrah from Lot18, so I just used my credit on this three pack. Hopefully they'll bring back some of the other Palmeris as well.

Shipping is included on this 3 pack as well.

I, too, bought this current offering based on the previous one being so good. Of course, it's nice using credits so it's only about $15/bottle. I could use some more credits in case anyone knows of some new offers.

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr
jmdavidson wrote:I, too, bought this current offering based on the previous one being so good. Of course, it's nice using credits so it's only about $15/bottle. I could use some more credits in case anyone knows of some new offers.

I think almost all my credits were 58% off($60 for $25) so this would come out to $11.76 a bottle.

redwinefan

I see Lot18 has the 2008 Epiphany Inspiration up today for $16.99. The 2006 was apparently featured on Woot at some point, so I'm wondering if anyone who sampled it from Woot would be willing to recommend for or against it?

Cesare

quality posts: 1610 Private Messages Cesare
redwinefan wrote:I see Lot18 has the 2008 Epiphany Inspiration up today for $16.99. The 2006 was apparently featured on Woot at some point, so I'm wondering if anyone who sampled it from Woot would be willing to recommend for or against it?

Previous offer:
3/24/08
I remember really liking it. Others (Hak, ps, sparky) also liked it, see CT.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Interesting...Buy.com has joined the wine game.

http://www.buy.com/loc/wine/68904.html

Free shipping on some of the offerings. Including this 2007 Pedroncelli Morris Fay Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon for $14.99.

http://www.buy.com/prod/pedroncelli-morris-fay-vineyard-cabernet-sauvignon-2007/q/loc/68903/218243161.html

There's also this other Pedroncelli offering:

http://www.buy.com/prod/pedroncelli-3-vineyards-dry-creek-valley-cabernet-sauvignon-2008/q/loc/68903/218242434.html

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.