+ Add a Comment

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

DETAILS: At our last tasting, we talked about our next tasting and thought that Bubbly & Sushi would be a really nice gathering here. So, ddeuddeg and I just got back from Seabar-one of the premiere sushi places in the area. We spoke with Mike Andrzejewski., the owner and he is really excited about having us. He said that it would be fun for him to do some creative sushi and perhaps, gain some national exposure. Everything we ate tonight was delicious. Beef on Weck Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, Crab & Mango and Unagi BLT Handroll @ SeabarHe is willing to work with us on cost if we bring our own bottles. He would like us to purchase some of his bubbly and would probably charge us a reasonable corkage fee, $10.00 per bottle.

DATE: Saturday, July 23rd

TIME: 6 PM

MENU: Seabar Menu

THEME: Bubbly, Sushi & Shakespeare

WHAT TO BRING:
---A bottle of your favorite bubbly--one bottle per couple or two people can sponsor one bottle.

---COST: $45 per person.

Breakdown as follows:
-$30.00 per person food
-$10.00 per bottle corkage
(we were figuring $5.00 per person for corkage because of our thought of one bottle per 2 people)
-$5.40 person gratuity (18% of $30.00)
-plus tax based on total sale, no tax on gratuity.
---So we're looking at $45.00 per person. Perhaps more if we open more bottles.

PLUS, Mike is donating 2 bottles of Scharffenberger Sparkling to get the party started!! WooHoo!

HOSTS: bahwm & ddeuddeg at Seabar, 475 Ellicott St. Buffalo NY, 14203

Update on DESSERTS: At bahwm & ddeuddeg's home in S. Buffalo: White chocolate-ginger cheesecake; Summer berry mint cream tart; Peach tart, if the peaches are available as the growers promised; Green tea Ice cream; a trio of tropical sorbets: lavender-rose, coconut-lime, and orange blossom. Selection may be subject to change. We'll bring a cooler to Seabar to keep dessert bubblies cool.

Shakespeare in Delaware Park: either Friday or Sunday. Please post preference (weather will also be a determining factor!)

ATTENDEES:
1. bahwm - Chandon Étoile Rosé
2. ddeuddeg -Domaine Carneros by Taittinger '04, '05, '06 vertical with dessert
3. Sparky
4. tiger
5. justinrsanderson - Mumm Napa DVX 2001 and 2005 Rose
6. justin’s lovely new wife
7. PolarBear - Chandon Étoile, Rosé and a sparkling Pinot Grigio
8. PolarBear's +1
9. bahwm's wooter niece who has not posted
10. bahwm's wooter niece's husband
11. tonyr14226
12. tonyr14226's +1
13. esteinwachs
14. esteinwachs's + 1
15. Karen Sanderson
16. John Sanderson

MAYBES:
1. Krystal Champagne
2. Ublink
3. the lovely Mrs.Ublink

REGRETS:
- CAGirl
- InShadows
- wkdpanda
- cheron98
- ecamodeo a.k.a. The Pasta Peddler
- The Pasta Peddler +1
- tommythecat
- Silvia
- Evan
- Lea
- anyone else who misses this one!!

DESSERTS
1. bahwm
2. ddeuddeg
3. Sparky
4. PolarBear
5. Mrs. PolarBear
6. tiger
7, justinrsanderson
8. Mrs. justinrsanderson
9. bahwm's wooter niece who has not posted
10. bahwm's wooter niece's husband
11. tonyr14226
12. tonyr14226's +1
13. esteinwachs
14. esteinwachs's + 1

Sunday Brunch at Shango
1. bahwm
2. ddeuddeg
3. Sparky
4. PolarBear
5. Mrs. PolarBear
6. justinrsanderson

SHAKESPEARE'S AS YOU LIKE IT ATTENDEES
1. bahwm (Whenever. Just not Monday--no show!)
2. ddeuddeg (Whenever. Just not Monday--no show!)
3. Sparky
4. tiger (Sunday)
5. PolarBear and his +1 (Sunday)
6. PolarBear's +1 (Sunday)
7. justinrsanderson
8. Mrs. justinrsanderson

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
bahwm wrote:sushi and bubbly

Either March 19th or March 26th work for me (first and last weekend of spring break). I have to check my exam schedule to know more about april, but the march dates should work. So would we have to bring our own bottles and purchase some of his bubbly? Any idea on a price range for this event? Otherwise it looks awesome, I was just thinking that I want some sushi after seeing your facebook photo of the restaurant.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tiger7610 wrote:Either March 19th or March 26th work for me ...

Yeah, well, the reason the 19th isn't one of the choices on the original post is that the Shakespeare in Delaware Fabulous Feast and Auction is that night. It seems that we're chairing it (again).

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Tempted by the earlier dates, since April 30th is my son's bday (and thus is out).

Just not sure how my tender hide will take the cold Buffalo weather.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

ddeuddeg wrote:Yeah, well, the reason the 19th isn't one of the choices on the original post is that the Shakespeare in Delaware Fabulous Feast and Auction is that night. It seems that we're chairing it (again).

Anybody out there want to make a donation of an auction item or items? Let us know. Wine, of course, is always a nice auction item. . . Gift baskets, airline tickets, a villa in Tuscany (oh, sorry, inside joke from another theater!), condo opportunities, country home in the Catskills, spa packages or any other unique item that you could think of. . . We're especially looking for some big ticket items.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:Tempted by the earlier dates, since April 30th is my son's bday (and thus is out).

Just not sure how my tender hide will take the cold Buffalo weather.

Oh, Sweetheart, it shouldn't be that cold by then! After all, it'll be Spring! Come on out and join us!

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Any body out there want to make a donation of an auction item or items? Let us know. Wine, of course, is always a nice auction item. . . Gift baskets, airline tickets, a villa in Tuscany (oh, sorry, inside joke from another theater!), condo opportunities, country home in the Catskills, spa packages or anything other unique item that you could think of. . . We're especially looking for some big ticket items.

I know someone with a bridge in NYC, would that work?

And March is still technically Winter! Brrrrr!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:I know someone with a bridge in NYC, would that work?

Never mind, I already own that bridge.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

tiger7610

But you will be inside drinking wine, and if you want I can bring bunch of jackets that you can wear while the rest of will be in t-shirts to celebrate buffalo spring.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Nah, that late in March is technically Spring

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

While I cannot guarantee anything, I will attempt to make it out for whichever weekend it ends up being. Right around there is the launch of our next phase, so depending on the clients' whims depends on which weekend I will be free. If at all.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I've been craving sushi and I love me some bubbly. Probably won't be able to make it because of my crazy exam schedule, but I will definitely keep an eye on this thread.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

monitoring this thread. Need to see what happens with the marrow donor thing, and when it happens. So need to hang loose.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I'm in. We've been steady customers of Mike's since Tsunami. He does some incredible stuff (apart from sushi), I especially like his take on chicken and waffles.

Many of his wine prices are also great, for those in the know. Like this Hanzell Pinot Noir which he offers at $75/bottle when direct price is $95!

I will definitely be attending this. I will be away Apr 2-10, any other dates work right now.

Working on the SDP dinner now, I think we will be attending again, but need bossman to approve it.

EDIT: Approved! See you there!

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

bahwm

justinrsanderson wrote:I'm in. We've been steady customers of Mike's since Tsunami. He does some incredible stuff (apart from sushi), I especially like his take on chicken and waffles.

Many of his wine prices are also great, for those in the know. Like this Hanzell Pinot Noir which he offers at $75/bottle when direct price is $95!

I will definitely be attending this. I will be away Apr 2-10, any other dates work right now.

Working on the SDP dinner now, I think we will be attending again, but need bossman to approve it.

EDIT: Approved! See you there!

Excellent! Are you all set with the appropriate forms etc. for SDP? Are you definitely getting a table--feel free to take this into PM or email.

Re: Bubbly & Sushi: we're kind of leaning toward the April 30th date. How would that work for you guys and anyone else out there who's thinking of joining us?

tiger7610

Most likely April 30th will not work for me, just because it will be very close to exams, but who knows maybe I will be so prepared that I will feel that I can take that time off.

cheron98

bahwm wrote:Excellent! Are you all set with the appropriate forms etc. for SDP? Are you definitely getting a table--feel free to take this into PM or email.

Re: Bubbly & Sushi: we're kind of leaning toward the April 30th date. How would that work for you guys and anyone else out there who's thinking of joining us?

That would definitely be the best chance I have.

CAGrl

April 30th might work for me because I will be done with classes. And I fly back to California for a week the Monday after so I can fly to Buffalo, then back to Florida then to Cali. Definitely interested now.

bahwm

CAGrl wrote:April 30th might work for me because I will be done with classes. And I fly back to California for a week the Monday after so I can fly to Buffalo, then back to Florida then to Cali. Definitely interested now.

Why not fly directly from Buffalo? Is your hubby flying with you? Which airport would you be flying into in Cali?

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Excellent! Are you all set with the appropriate forms etc. for SDP? Are you definitely getting a table--feel free to take this into PM or email.

Youse guys really don't want me to go, do you? Since I already said the 30th is my son's b-day.

What about late May? After Mother's Day (8th) and CyberPub Bottling (15th?)? On or before Memorial Day weekend?

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Never mind, I already own that bridge.

I thought Tommy & Mill co-owned that one?

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:Youse guys really don't want me to go, do you? Since I already said the 30th is my son's b-day.

Arrrgh! Brain cramp! That's why we discuss things, right?

MarkDaSpark wrote:What about late May? After Mother's Day (8th) and CyberPub Bottling (15th?)? On or before Memorial Day weekend?

I'm not sure when ddeuddeg has graduation.

Edit: I never did a split quote before!

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Youse guys really don't want me to go, do you? Since I already said the 30th is my son's b-day.

What about late May? After Mother's Day (8th) and CyberPub Bottling (15th?)? On or before Memorial Day weekend?

That would totally disrupt my standing Memorial Day Weekend gathering in Detroit. Though I haven't figured out a theme for this year yet.

I'm sure I had an idea, but I forgot what it was...

tiger7610

cheron98 wrote:That would totally disrupt my standing Memorial Day Weekend gathering in Detroit. Though I haven't figured out a theme for this year yet.

I'm sure I had an idea, but I forgot what it was...

It could be get everyone to Buffalo for the super Buffalo gathering?

CAGrl

bahwm wrote:Why not fly directly from Buffalo? Is your hubby flying with you? Which airport would you be flying into in Cali?

Well, I've already purchased Fort Lauderdale to SFO ticket and if tried to change it then I'd be charged a change fee (JetBlue).

But seeing as how Sparky can't make it that weekend, it might be a moot point. So, May might work. Hubby might even be able to come up. Or early June. More likely than not, we'll be packing up mid-June and doing a long cross-country trip back to Cali.

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:I thought Tommy & Mill co-owned that one?

Yeah, yeah. Tommy bought from an impostor. Mine's the real deal. Probably shouldn't tell Tommy, though.

ddeuddeg

bahwm wrote:I'm not sure when ddeuddeg has graduation.

Monday, May 23rd. Not an issue.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Yeah, yeah. Tommy bought from an impostor. Mine's the real deal. Probably shouldn't tell Tommy, though.

Umm, I'd be careful saying that ... since Nallie disappears people who say she doesn't sell items legitimately.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
CAGrl wrote:Well, I've already purchased Fort Lauderdale to SFO ticket and if tried to change it then I'd be charged a change fee (JetBlue).

But seeing as how Sparky can't make it that weekend, it might be a moot point. So, May might work. Hubby might even be able to come up. Or early June. More likely than not, we'll be packing up mid-June and doing a long cross-country trip back to Cali.

Totally lurking but what? Y'all are coming back?

CT

CAGrl

tenuki wrote:Totally lurking but what? Y'all are coming back?

Most likely. So far that's the plan, but that can change if I get an awesome job here. Going to be in Cali in May to look for a jobby job.

bahwm

CAGrl wrote:Most likely. So far that's the plan, but that can change if I get an awesome job here. Going to be in Cali in May to look for a jobby job.

And you'll be done with all of your studies?

bahwm

CAGrl wrote:Well, I've already purchased Fort Lauderdale to SFO ticket and if tried to change it then I'd be charged a change fee (JetBlue).

Tossing out a few more dates: Sat. March 26; April--Justin will be away for the first two weekends; April 16 is my b-day; April 23rd Easter Vigil; April 30-Sparky's son's b-day--that about kills April. How about May, except for the 7th (Mother's Day weekend)and May 14th (Vegas bottling)(thanx cheron!); May 21st; May 28th (I know, cheron's Memorial Day Bash. We like to get planting and yard work done during this weekend, but it might work. Michigan peeps could come out here!. Discuss.

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson
bahwm wrote:Tossing out a few more dates: Sat. March 26; April--Justin will be away for the first two weekends; April 16 is my b-day; April 23rd Easter Vigil; April 30-Sparky's son's b-day--that about kills April. How about May, except for the 7th (Mother's Day weekend)--May 14th; May 21st; May 28th (I know, cheron's Memorial Day Bash. We like to get planting and yard work done during this weekend, but it might work. Michigan peeps could come out here!. Discuss.

No snow in May for the Michigan folks that want to make the trip. Buffalo is really nice in May/June too. Could play some golf before the event....

What's the deal on bubbles? We can bring some, but have to buy some from Mike?

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

bahwm

justinrsanderson wrote:
What's the deal on bubbles? We can bring some, but have to buy some from Mike?

Basically, yep. We, obviously, cannot bring in bubbles that he has. He expects us to buy some from him and will allow us to bring some. There will probably be an "opening" fee for the others. Once we decide on a date, I'll get his wine list and post it and we can work around that.

CAGrl

bahwm wrote:And you'll be done with all of your studies?

Yup. Will be all done by May. Only weekend I can't do anything would be May 14th because that's graduation. Every other weekend in May should work out okay. My attendance will be based on our finances at that time.

cheron98

bahwm wrote:May 14th

Vegas bottling.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
CAGrl wrote:Most likely. So far that's the plan, but that can change if I get an awesome job here. Going to be in Cali in May to look for a jobby job.

Ah, sorry things didn't work out, but would be good to hang out again. That or I need to make it to Florida faster

CT

CAGrl

tenuki wrote:Ah, sorry things didn't work out, but would be good to hang out again. That or I need to make it to Florida faster

Well, the program is only 1 year so there was always the chance we would move back after only 1 year out here. I do like it here and even if I end up staying here, my heart is definitely in California.

tiger7610

Like I said March 26th works for me, later in may should work as well, still dont have all my finals schedule yet.

bahwm

Bump and date check: Trying to narrow things down based on date preferences of those who have expressed an interest: Sat. March 26th, Sat. May 21st, June 4th,or June 11th would work? What say you all? Double check you calendars and post away. I don't think I've messed up the dates this time!