MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark



***** Wine.Woot Party *****

Edited: 2/3/2011, 11:17 PM PT

Do you want to hang around Scott Harvey all day in Napa (St. Helena)?

Do you want to learn from him how to be a Wine Judge? And maybe be one?


If so, keep February 20th, 2011 (Sunday) open!


The 30 Golden Tickets will get you in for free to the all-day Wine.Woot Party with the Winemaker, as well as an opportunity to be a Wine Judge with Scott.

And ... there can be only one ... Wine Judge that is! One of the Golden Ticket winners may become a Wine Judge for a Day with our winemaker. Okay, others will have an opportunity as well to become a judge.


Those without Golden Tickets will be allowed to purchase the old, boring type of entry ticket to get in to the party to watch the Golden Ones.

Oh, and if you buy a ticket, it will apply towards the cost of a six bottle purchase of Scott's wines (SH, Jana, SuperHero, One Last Kiss, etc.)

More details to follow in the days/weeks to come.


Golden Ticket Recipients:


  • PetiteSirah (aka Loweeel) - 1
  • HitAnyKey - 2
  • Turndon - 8
  • Klezman (from Boatman72) - 11
  • Rainydz - 15
  • octane - 19
  • Timmyjwoot - 20
  • Hookajoe - 21
  • MarkDaSpark - 23
  • Richardhod - 25
  • Sanity - 26
  • losthighwayz
  • Redwinefan - 28



Details:

Location: Scott & Jana Harvey's place
St. Helena, CA

Date: February 20th, 2011

Time: 11:00 am to 5:00 pm

More details:

  • Cost is $20 per person, unless you were one of the fortunate ones to have received one of the 30 “Golden Tickets” in the December case Woot offering. The $20 entry fee can be applied to a six bottle purchase of wine during the event.
  • Scott's long time friend and Master Chef “Dean Weitz” will be cooking up a storm throughout the event.
  • California State Fair Chief Judge, Pooch Pucilowski will be conducting wine judging tests.
  • The judging will be conducted every one and a half hours staring at 11:30 AM. So tests will start at 11:30 AM, 1:00 PM, 2:30 PM and 4:00 PM.
  • There is room for 12 people per time slot.
  • If you want to participate, you need to call the winery, 707 968-9575 and book a slot. First come, first served
  • From all those who pass the test, one will be drawn from the hat to judge as a guest judge on Scott's or Pooch's judging panel at the California State Fair Wine Competition to be held this year on Wednesday June the 1st.
  • In addition, Pooch is running another competition called the Consumer Wine Awards.
    Pooch will also have available the Consumer Wine Awards survey for those people interested in judging at the Consumer Wine Awards Competition. This survey is also available on line at consumerwineawards.com
  • There will also be a “Guess the Vintage” tasting and a “Guess the Variety” tasting with prizes and discounts for the winners.
  • The wine cellar will be set up for a “Bring your own Cigar” tasting where the Angel Ice and Forte will be available for you to pair with your favorite cigar.


Remember to RSVP at 707 968-9575 by February 6th. This invitation is only open to Wooters at this time and will be open to everyone after the 6th. Look forward to seeing you there!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

timmyjwoot got #20.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:timmyjwoot got #20.




Thanks! I knew there was someone else who posted they got one (in the Pub or D&D thread).


Edit: And of course, it's not letting me edit the beginning post. Aarrghh!


Edit2: Still nope. And losthighwayz got one too.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Hmmmm .... wondering if we should see about a group discount for a hotel in the area.


How many people are planning on staying overnight in the area? Please respond here in the thread.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

octane


quality posts: 2 Private Messages octane

I got #19

I'm staying in the area, since I live in Napa.

-Octane

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Hmmmm .... wondering if we should see about a group discount for a hotel in the area.


How many people are planning on staying overnight in the area? Please respond here in the thread.



I will be overnighting at the Holiday Inn Express in American Canyon, which I already have booked

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I received ticket #26!

What a day for good news. I'll share the rest in the pub.

We'll be staying in the area.

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Here's a pic of the ticket.
For some reason, keep getting woot server errors when I embed a pic and other functions.

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
sanity wrote:I received ticket #26!

What a day for good news. I'll share the rest in the pub.

We'll be staying in the area.



You're coming out to norcal? That makes me happy

CT

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
tenuki wrote:You're coming out to norcal? That makes me happy



Me, too! It's about time, right?

joelsisk


quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

I'm so very sad that the whole thing is this particular weekend... would have been awesome... alas, family (reunion now) cruise booked months ago out of Florida. le sigh.

but congrats to all the golden tickets, and Mr Sanity's good news!!

rainydz


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rainydz

Ticket #15 here and very excited! I do not have a sophisticated enough palate or enough wine knowledge to be a wine judge, but I know what I like and will enjoy every drop, oh...I mean every minute. Now to convince the hubby to make this trip one of my Christmas gifts. We live in Seattle, so we will need a hotel. Group discount would be great.

Anyone know if the ticket gets us and a guest in or if we need to purchase one for our guest?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rainydz wrote:Ticket #15 here and very excited! I do not have a sophisticated enough palate or enough wine knowledge to be a wine judge, but I know what I like and will enjoy every drop, oh...I mean every minute. Now to convince the hubby to make this trip one of my Christmas gifts. We live in Seattle, so we will need a hotel. Group discount would be great.

Anyone know if the ticket gets us and a guest in or if we need to purchase one for our guest?



I believe the ticket is for one, and you will need to purchase an entry ($20, IIRC) ticket for any guests.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

turndon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages turndon

Just opened my case to find Golden Ticket 8/30 sitting on top of my wine. Not sure I'll be able to make it--first I have to explain to my wife how I scored the ticket despite a WBM being in place...

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
turndon wrote:Just opened my case to find Golden Ticket 8/30 sitting on top of my wine. Not sure I'll be able to make it--first I have to explain to my wife how I scored the ticket despite a WBM being in place...



The ticket has magical properties!

CT

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

I have ticket #1 (which hopefully will mirror my ranking in the contest!)

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
PetiteSirah wrote:I have ticket #1 (which hopefully will mirror my ranking in the contest!)



Sounds a little less random to me now. Have a great time.

Next year at Dark & Delicous.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

boatman72


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

boatman72 checking in with 11 of 30.

Not sure I can make it unless my son has some frequent flyer miles and hotel points to give the old man. We both got back not too long ago from our Oregon fishing trip on the Columbia River and out in the Pacific. Spent $$$$$, but not as much as I spent on WW the last three months.

Maybe I'll give the son the ticket for xMas. Hope he's not reading this!!! He has a box of his own sitting in our kitchen. It would be nuts if he got one also. Then we WOULD have to make the trip!

If I can't use the GT, I won't let it go to waste although it's cool. If I give it up and if it's transferrable, the best begging story will win it! And that's if I decide my son or I can't use it.

hookajoe


quality posts: 11 Private Messages hookajoe

Ticket #21 checking in!

My wife and I LOO0oVE Scott's wines, and are very excited about this special event! We'd been planning on heading up that way around that time anyway!
We had a chance to check out their tasting room this spring, and had a wonderful experience.

Hope to see you guys at the party!

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I may not be as special as PetiteSirah but ......


I AM #2!!!!!!!!!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I may not be as special as PetiteSirah but ......


I AM #2!!!!!!!!!



That goes without saying, if you know what I mean .....


Edit: And still waiting on the Woot Code Monkeys to fix whatever is causing me to get Server Errors when trying to edit the starting post (and only that one!).

Once they have it fixed, I will update the list (as well as any other info).


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Once they have it fixed, I will update the list (as well as any other info).



I've been keeping it updated over in the D&D thread, so you can just copy from there

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Cesare


quality posts: 1585 Private Messages Cesare

I think: You can't update the first post because it has an ampersand in the title. Remove it and any other bogus characters when you edit and it will work (the title doesn't matter, it can even be blank). It happens to me occasionally in the main thread.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman


quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
boatman72 wrote:If I can't use the GT, I won't let it go to waste although it's cool. If I give it up and if it's transferrable, the best begging story will win it! And that's if I decide my son or I can't use it.



I'd be "happy" to wow you with my story of woe in exchange for a potentially unused golden ticket.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Cesare wrote:I think: You can't update the first post because it has an ampersand in the title. Remove it and any other bogus characters when you edit and it will work (the title doesn't matter, it can even be blank). It happens to me occasionally in the main thread.



That looks to have been the problem. Thanks!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I finally was able to pick my Scott Harvey case up from the UPS Store and was surprised to find Magic Leaf #28/30 on top. I guess that pushes me over the edge into coming out for the Woot party and the D&D tasting.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

rainydz


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rainydz

Very excited to say I have just booked my trip. My husband and I will get in on the morning of the 19th. We are looking forward to meeting all the wine.wooters that will attend. If anyone wants to meet up on the 19th, please message me and we can swap contact info.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
rainydz wrote:Very excited to say I have just booked my trip. My husband and I will get in on the morning of the 19th. We are looking forward to meeting all the wine.wooters that will attend. If anyone wants to meet up on the 19th, please message me and we can swap contact info.



Don't forget, there's all kinds of stuff happening that weekend. Feel free to join in an any of it!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks! I knew there was someone else who posted they got one (in the Pub or D&D thread).


Edit: And of course, it's not letting me edit the beginning post. Aarrghh!


Edit2: Still nope. And losthighwayz got one too.



Don't lose your head!

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
richardhod wrote:Don't lose your head!



It's okay, we could just replace it with a large woot monkey, no one would notice ;)

CT

rainydz


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rainydz
cheron98 wrote:Don't forget, there's all kinds of stuff happening that weekend. Feel free to join in an any of it!



Wow, Thanks Cheron98, I had no idea all of that was happening. We get in Saturday morning and leave early Monday, so the events that on Saturday could work.

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Friend posted this link for an art exhibit at SFMOMA based on wine in modern culture.

I know a lot's going on that weekend but just letting people know it's there as an option.

CT

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

*nudge* WD - any further details?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

#25!

hope I'm in the country...

klezman


quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
richardhod wrote:#25!

hope I'm in the country...



If not, send it my way

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:*nudge* WD - any further details?



Should have some more details later in the week.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Should have some more details later in the week.



It's later in the week. Gimme details!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

soochee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages soochee

It's been way too long since I've had a moment to read through posts and it feels like I've been gone for years! Sorry we'll miss the party. Damn going back to school! It's cutting into my fun. We'll have to pass this year, it's the weekend of my final. Have a great time! Someone drink double for me.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:It's later in the week. Gimme details!



Scott Harvey should have more (and correct) details in a Wine.Woot Blog update soon, but for now ....


Plan on Sunday's event starting around 11 am, with wine judging rounds starting at Noon, and additional rounds on the hour after that.

Judging will be open for signups to Wooters first, then to SH's Wine Club members (IIRC, around Feb. 1st for them). IIRC we will have to get a score of 10 out of 12 (ranking 4 bottles 3 times each) for each round's winner to win a bottle of wine (may be a magnum).

Basically you judge 4 wines 3x each, and based on your accuracy (IIRC minimum 10 out of 12 to win), you proceed to the final round.


Overall winner may have a chance to judge at a Statewide Wine Judging event, depending on circumstances.


Edit: Oh, and I think that if you have to buy a ticket to get in, it will count (not sure how much) towards the purchase of Scott & Jana's wines (may be towards a case purchase, but not sure).


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
MarkDaSpark wrote:Scott Harvey should have more (and correct) details in a Wine.Woot Blog update soon, but for now ....


Plan on Sunday's event starting around 11 am, with wine judging rounds starting at Noon, and additional rounds on the hour after that.

Judging will be open for signups to Wooters first, then to SH's Wine Club members (IIRC, around Feb. 1st for them). IIRC we will have to get a score of 10 out of 12 (ranking 4 bottles 3 times each) for each round's winner to win a bottle of wine (may be a magnum).

Basically you judge 4 wines 3x each, and based on your accuracy (IIRC minimum 10 out of 12 to win), you proceed to the final round.



How is your accuracy determined during the judging? Are your results compared to Scott's results or something?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington