CONDITION: 750ml New Oil
PRODUCT: 1 Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo

Product Website

Previous offer:
12/4/09

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

Casa de Case

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

I think this is "Oliver's New Silurian Oil", but I could be making that up.

I don't think this will work in your transmission.

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

Well...the good news is my SSIWBM has begun!

Going to attempt to not purchase anymore wine until our annual Willamette Valley PN trip next fall.

Should have somewhere around 200ish bottles to hold me off until then, so I should be ok.

CT Updating, please wait....

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

This is some damn fantastic olive oil.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

brucedoesbms

More from Casa de Case ...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

carverlv

quality posts: 3 Private Messages carverlv

SOOOO in for 3! Seriously, this is awesome tasty olio. Got it last year, savored every drop of my bottle and gifted one which won RAVE reviews from the giftee. This year I'll gift one and keep TWO for selfish foodie self.
SOOO yum! Now if I'd only remembered to use my birthday coupon before excitedly hitting that big gold button.
Duh!

EDIT: OMGOMGOMG just realized how awesome this will be with my recent homemade no knead bread habit. My God I wish Woot did air freight options!
Can you tell I'm overly excited? Takes so little to thrill me after wooting off all week hoping for this to show up.

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

The woot-off continues on the main site. So we may get a detour or three coming our way. Or it could start back up here at noon tomorrow!

CT

mbmanaus

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mbmanaus

I have been waiting for a year for this to come up and it happens to be when I have one foot out the door and one TSA agent's hand on my crotch because I'm going to Brazil for a month. For those who have had this, will it still be nuovo around mid January? Is it worth buying if I can't open the bottle until then?

nosnevets

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets

Barely made it on the Howell Mt.

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis
hogfatt wrote:Well...the good news is my SSIWBM has begun!

Going to attempt to not purchase anymore wine until our annual Willamette Valley PN trip next fall.

Should have somewhere around 200ish bottles to hold me off until then, so I should be ok.

Shall we start a betting pool? I put the over/under at December 23, 2010.

carverlv

quality posts: 3 Private Messages carverlv
mbmanaus wrote: Is it worth buying if I can't open the bottle until then?

IMHO, absolutely worth it, mbmanaus. Should be fine until then as long as whoever receives it for you doesn't snarf it down first. Last year they said it would be at peak for about 2 months if I remember correctly.
Fly safe, enjoy the cheap thrill of TSA groping, and enjoy summer down south!

richardhod

carverlv wrote:SOOOO in for 3! Seriously, this is awesome tasty olio. Got it last year, savored every drop of my bottle and gifted one which won RAVE reviews from the giftee. This year I'll gift one and keep TWO for selfish foodie self.
SOOO yum! Now if I'd only remembered to use my birthday coupon before excitedly hitting that big gold button.
Duh!

EDIT: OMGOMGOMG just realized how awesome this will be with my recent homemade no knead bread habit. My God I wish Woot did air freight options!
Can you tell I'm overly excited? Takes so little to thrill me after wooting off all week hoping for this to show up.

This is incredibly expensive though. Can et a litre of lovely oil in Silverlake cheese shop for $20ish and it's lovely. Or a bottle this size at TJ's of decent wuality for inder $15... (the basic stufff coming in at $3.50)

How much better is this really?

hogfatt

TooOldForThis wrote:Shall we start a betting pool? I put the over/under at December 23, 2010.

I would take that, but you can't monitor my away from woot purchases!

I'm not too worried about it...when SWMBO sees the CC bill I'll either be dead or it will be shredded!

brucedoesbms

Before serving this oil, you'll want to give the bottle a bit of a shake so as to suspend the luxurious olive sediment in order to garner the most intense flavor... you will have to use the bottle up in a week or so due to rapid oxidation once opened..

mbmanaus

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mbmanaus
carverlv wrote:IMHO, absolutely worth it, mbmanaus. Should be fine until then as long as whoever receives it for you doesn't snarf it down first. Last year they said it would be at peak for about 2 months if I remember correctly.
Fly safe, enjoy the cheap thrill of TSA groping, and enjoy summer down south!

Thanks, that's all I needed to hear!

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0

Buy. Just do it

TooOldForThis

richardhod wrote:This is incredibly expensive though. Can et a litre of lovely oil in Silverlake cheese shop for $20ish and it's lovely. Or a bottle this size at TJ's of decent wuality for inder $15... (the basic stufff coming in at $3.50)

No offense, but isn't that like asking why one would buy the Cornison when KR Ramsay is $10/bottle? If this was wine, you'd be the one saying, "your palate is better than you give it credit for... you will taste the difference."

That said, it's more than I'm willing to spend. I view it as one more expensive hobby to avoid...

TooOldForThis

hogfatt wrote:I'm not too worried about it...when SWMBO sees the CC bill I'll either be dead or it will be shredded!

Credit card bills can be hidden. Where are you going to pile all of the boxes?

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

Is this organic and first cold pressed or cold pressed? I assume yes given the price and rave reviews.

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0
richardhod wrote:This is incredibly expensive though. Can et a litre of lovely oil in Silverlake cheese shop for $20ish and it's lovely. Or a bottle this size at TJ's of decent wuality for inder $15... (the basic stufff coming in at $3.50)

I won't be held accountable if you turn out not to agree, but for me, this stuff is an autobuy. It'll be fabulous with the absurdly expensive vinegar they are bound to put up soon, too. (You are, right guys? Cuz I need my fix.)

The fresh, grassy flavor is amazing. It is also an amusing color of neon green.

It is best within the first couple of months, but will still be very, very good later.

I am now spoiled for all other olive oils.

richardhod

TooOldForThis wrote:No offense, but isn't that like asking why one would buy the Cornison when KR Ramsay is $10/bottle? If this was wine, you'd be the one saying, "your palate is better than you give it credit for... you will taste the difference."

That said, it's more than I'm willing to spend. I view it as one more expensive hobby to avoid...

None taken: you're absolutely right, and I asked it for a reason! I want someone to describe to me the flavours, the nuances, the differences of this oil to my $4 basic olive oil or $15 premium olive oil, just as someone might describe Corison by the nose, palate, length and other taste descriptors. And then there's the production values: what in the growing makes this superior? what are the soil conditions, weather and olive varieties used!? What quality control of theirs is better? Is it the quick or single pressing? Are there other techniques which give a different taste?

Here we analyse taste, aesthetics and production, both with our tongues and with our minds! We ought to exted this to something as complex as a good olive oil too. I want to be converted!

brucedoesbms

Hey woot! any chance we will get to see the Cavedoni Botte Piccola this Gift Week?... just askin', 'cuz it pairs well with this oil...

TooOldForThis

richardhod wrote:None taken: you're absolutely right, and I asked it for a reason! I want someone to describe to me the flavours, the nuances, the differences of this oil to my $4 basic olive oil or $15 premium olive oil, just as someone might describe Corison by the nose, palate, length and other taste descriptors. And then there's the production values: what in the growing makes this superior? what are the soil conditions, weather and olive varieties used!? What quality control of theirs is better? Is it the quick or single pressing? Are there other techniques which give a different taste?

Here we analyse taste, aesthetics and production, both with our tongues and with our minds! We ought to exted this to something as complex as a good olive oil too. I want to be converted!

Well, then, you might want to read this, which I found through the magic of Google.

richardhod

brucedoesbms wrote:Hey woot! any chance we will get to see the Cavedoni Botte Piccola this Gift Week?... just askin', 'cuz it pairs well with this oil...

given the wootoff's still going over on green, what are the chances wine.woot is back to the 12-hour gift week turnaround? High, I'd say, so you may be in luck.

richardhod

TooOldForThis wrote:Well, then, you might want to read this, which I found through the magic of Google.

lovely, thanks! Of course, they're biased and we'll have to find some more impartial understandings. Hoping we have some experts here

hogfatt

TooOldForThis wrote:Credit card bills can be hidden. Where are you going to pile all of the boxes?

I oversee the money, but she pays the bills. So she'll notice before the boxes even get here.

TooOldForThis

hogfatt wrote:I oversee the money, but she pays the bills. So she'll notice before the boxes even get here.

Alas. So while you're on the street, she'll be opening and drinking your wine? That's harsh.

hogfatt

TooOldForThis wrote:Alas. So while you're on the street, she'll be opening and drinking your wine? That's harsh.

Nah, she's not rash enough to kick me out or anything...but there will be monetary limits put in place to make sure I can't spend enough at one time to buy a bottle of wine lol.

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

Bought 3 last year. Awesome stuff. Just finished mynlast bottle thus week. Ready for a new fresh batch!

f263u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages f263u

No offense to the oil, which I'm sure is quite tasty and versatile, but...

Those lyrics were supposed to go along to the tune of "I'm Paranoid," right?

globewalker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages globewalker
brucedoesbms wrote:Hey woot! any chance we will get to see the Cavedoni Botte Piccola this Gift Week?... just askin', 'cuz it pairs well with this oil...

I hope so... I'm wanting that one again also.. And just ordered this oil..
I'm not able to describe detailed palate characteristics .. but both are awesome.
I like oil and vinegar on my salads and might as well use quality there. This oil is very green color, tasty enough to drink by the spoon.. green apple hint and peppery aftertaste. There may be local places to get something equivalent, but I haven't really tried.

This link seems to be a good unbiased description of Olive Oils..
http://whatscookingamerica.net/OliveOil.htm

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost
hogfatt wrote:Nah, she's not rash enough to kick me out or anything...but there will be monetary limits put in place to make sure I can't spend enough at one time to buy a bottle of wine lol.

I know I'm being Captain Obvious here, but why not just buy her something really nice? That usually goes a long way.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost
f263u wrote:No offense to the oil, which I'm sure is quite tasty and versatile, but...

Those lyrics were supposed to go along to the tune of "I'm Paranoid," right?

Ha - I thought it was Prince's "I Would Die 4 U."

hogfatt

NightGhost wrote:I know I'm being Captain Obvious here, but why not just buy her something really nice? That usually goes a long way.

Yeah, it's a fine line because we share money, it will in essence just be spending more money. She's quite practical like that.

I am however attempting to devise a scheme to get her the car she's been wanting a while for x-mas...sort of like those luxury car commercials, cept w/o the luxury lol...

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

At the rate I use olive oil I could never afford this . . . I'm going to have to stick to three-liter cans. Congratulations to those of you who are either very well off, or don't truly love olive oil enough for it to make a difference!

richardhod

hogfatt wrote:Yeah, it's a fine line because we share money, it will in essence just be spending more money. She's quite practical like that.

I am however attempting to devise a scheme to get her the car she's been wanting a while for x-mas...sort of like those luxury car commercials, cept w/o the luxury lol...

a heist?

TooOldForThis

richardhod wrote:lovely, thanks! Of course, they're biased and we'll have to find some more impartial understandings. Hoping we have some experts here

This seems unbiased. Or at least not a wholesaler, retailer, or grower.

Cost seems to be a function of haste (needs to be sold and consumed within 3 months) and rarity (seems to require careful selection of olives, and only the first pressing). It also appears that this stuff is to regular olive oil as 30-year old old-world Cabernet is to "Hearty Burgundy." It seems you don't really want to cook with this, but instead eat a lot of bread and salad, because it's going to turn rancid by March or April.