cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Yes, we have already started planning NoVA/DC #22. Theme will be Black Tie. These are the special wines that you have put aside for that "special occasion", but have not had an occasion that is "special enough". This doesn't mean wines with a high price point. This is more a celebration with great wines and people who will genuinely appreciate them.

We have settled on President's Day Weekend for the date. Yes, we are willing to risk the inevitable bad weather.

We do want to do this upscale. So break out the Riedels and the fancy clothes.

Everyone start chiming in with your interest level. Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: Saturday, February 19, 2011
Time: 7pm
Host: hershelk
Theme: Wines you hold dear

Attending:
1. InShadows (2008 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay)
2. tripgrad (2000 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon Kronos Vineyard *or* 2007 Keplinger Grenache Red Slope)
3. k1avg (1986 Filhot)
4. cjsiege (1991 Mumm Napa DVX; 1994 Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon Mt. Veeder)
5. iByron
6. hershelk (2004 Château Belair Grande Cru Classe; 2000 Patricius Tokaji Aszú 5 Puttonyos)
7. wkdpanda (2004 Château Pichon Longueville Baron; Krug N.V. Grand Cuvee)
8. Alaska1
9. akrenee
10. draco067 (2005 Viader Proprietary Red)
11. hershelk +1 (Winemakers’ Collection Cuvee No 1 Michel Rolland 2005 Haut-Medoc)
12. hershelk +2 (cheese and crackers)
13. hershelk +3 (cookies and an interesting wine)
14. hershelk +4
15. draco067 +1
16. tripgrad +1
17. james22785 (Scott Harvey Barbera)

Maybes:
* bunnymasseuse
* nabrunk
* smartheart
* justinrsanderson
* jwhite6114 (2007 Chateau O'Brien Limited Reserve Tannat)
* InShadows +1

Regrets:
* darlenee1
* k1avg +1

cjsiege

I'm looking at bringing my 94 Mt Veeder CS and a 90 Mumm Napa DVX. It's not a party until there are sparklies!!!

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

As we discussed last night, I intend to bring 2000 Kronos Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon.
We hope that sufficient notice will enable all the old wineaux to make plans to attend.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

Oh, zut! Ça va mal! I won't be back from Quebec City with 79 kids until Sun. Feb. 20th in the evening! That leaves me out.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cjsiege

bahwm wrote:Oh, zut! Ça va mal! I won't be back from Quebec City with 79 kids until Sun. Feb. 20th in the evening! That leaves me out.

Phooey! I was secretly hoping to tempt both of you to come down! You can't just abandon 79 middle schoolers in Quebec City at the height of winter carnival??? *sigh*

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

I can't foresee anything precluding my attendance, and with an immensely more fashionable plus-one, but I'm not sure what I'll bring. I'm thinking a dessert wine, though, since those are stupendously classy. Perhaps the 1986 Filhot?

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

I am happy to host which might be good for a Black Tie Event. My guess would be the standard starting time of around 7:00 and the theme is Black Tie wines (or just wines you hold dear). I think we can replace all the ???? now.

CT

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

I may be able to make the trip down, barring any weather complications between CT and DC

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk
darlenee1 wrote:I may be able to make the trip down, barring any weather complications between CT and DC

Amtrak, baby. And my futon is always yours

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

Put me down and a maybe. I will probably be able to make it happen, but caution is the watchword for me these days.

I have no idea what I will bring. I will probably show up to my local wine shop and ask them to show me something fancy.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1
cjsiege wrote:Yes, we have already started planning NoVA/DC #22. Theme will be Black Tie. These are the special wines that you have put aside for that "special occasion", but have not had an occasion that is "special enough". This doesn't mean wines with a high price point. This is more a celebration with great wines and people who will genuinely appreciate them.

We have settled on President's Day Weekend for the date. Yes, we are willing to risk the inevitable bad weather.

We do want to do this upscale. So break out the Riedels and the fancy clothes.

Everyone start chiming in with your interest level. Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: Saturday, February 19, 2011
Time: 7pm
Host: hershelk
Theme: Wines you hold dear

Attending:
1. InShadows
2. tripgrad
3. k1avg
4. cjsiege
5. iByron
6. hershelk
7. wkdpanda
8. Alaska1 + AKReene

Maybes:
* k1avg +1
* bunnymasseuse
* darlenee1
* nabrunk

Regrets:

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

cjsiege

Alaska1 wrote:

caught the embed and added you both.

MoscowMidnight

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MoscowMidnight

deleted...wrong forum....but it sounds like a good time!!

draco067

quality posts: 0 Private Messages draco067

Count me in for my first w.w gathering!

cjsiege

draco067 wrote:Count me in for my first w.w gathering!

Welcome! I've got you on the list. Please feel free to introduce yourself to the crowd here!

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Been tooooo long since I've managed to make a wine.woot gathering! Going to do my best to be at this one.

Because my schedule is always volatile, best to put me down as a "maybe."

Look forward to seeing my old wine.woot friends and meet others I don't know as yet!

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

FYI, DC's Winter Restaurant Week is January 17-23, 2011.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

tripgrad

InShadows wrote:FYI, DC's Winter Restaurant Week is January 17-23, 2011.

I was working downtown DC last year, so I was able to take advantage of many of the lunch specials. OpenTable.com allows you to sort the list by neighborhood or type of cuisine.
Happy New Year!

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

I think I will be +4 for this one.

CT

michaelrenda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages michaelrenda

I'd be interested in this. What's the protocol for these events? Send me some info!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Dang! I only just now noticed this thread, and am bummed that you just had to pick the weekend of D&D when I'll be in California. I SO would have made the trip down for this one. Oh well.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cjsiege

michaelrenda wrote:I'd be interested in this. What's the protocol for these events? Send me some info!

Let us know how many people are coming. Each person brings a wine to share with the group (preferrably one that matches the theme) and your own wine glass. We are serious about learning more about wine, but we aren't formal or stuffy.

The host will send out directions a few days before the event.

That's really about it. Stay tuned to this thread and join in the conversation!

InShadows

cjsiege wrote:Let us know how many people are coming. Each person brings a wine to share with the group (preferrably one that matches the theme) and your own wine glass. We are serious about learning more about wine, but we aren't formal or stuffy.

The host will send out directions a few days before the event.

That's really about it. Stay tuned to this thread and join in the conversation!

don't forget the small appetizer as well!

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I think I may have dismissed this too early thinking it was Feb 12 (or did the date change?).

What's the closest airport? Anyone else staying at a hotel?

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

InShadows

justinrsanderson wrote:I think I may have dismissed this too early thinking it was Feb 12 (or did the date change?).

What's the closest airport? Anyone else staying at a hotel?

The closest airport to hershelk is Reagan National. However, Dulles (IAD) isn't bad either.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I am a maybe. If I can get a decent deal on some flights, I'm in, but right now it's +$300 round trip....

Coming from Buffalo if anyone finds a better flight deal.

Car pool Ddog??

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

cjsiege

justinrsanderson wrote:I am a maybe. If I can get a decent deal on some flights, I'm in, but right now it's +$300 round trip....

Car pool Ddog??

That would be wonderful! We can arrange to pick you up, regardless of the airport. I haven't even thought much about hotel at this point, since the event is still over a month away.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

Anyone flying into Dulles, I will volunteer to pick up. I live close enough to watch the landing patterns, but not get the noise!

-andy

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
justinrsanderson wrote:Coming from Buffalo if anyone finds a better flight deal.

Car pool Ddog??

Tempting. Bahwm's in Quebec with 80 middle school kids. I'd need to head back early enough on Sunday to pick her up when they get back around 7.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tripgrad

justinrsanderson wrote:I am a maybe. If I can get a decent deal on some flights, I'm in, but right now it's +$300 round trip....

Cheaper fares can be found flying into Baltimore, (BWI)
then there is train service from airport into DC.
Holiday on Mon so lowest fares may already be soldout.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

InShadows

InShadows wrote:FYI, DC's Winter Restaurant Week is January 17-23, 2011.

And it's happening right now.

Oh, and I'll be bringing a newer vintage of a winery and varietal that was made famous from some tasting some years back.

Yes, I know it's probably a shock that I won't be bringing a Benessere PG. I'm a little surprised too.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

GOT MY TURLEY ORDER SHEET IN TODAY!!! Anyone interested? I have 12 bottles to choose from. Let me know.

Chris :-)
p.s we have till Feb. 20th to get the order in.

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda
Alaska1 wrote:GOT MY TURLEY ORDER SHEET IN TODAY!!! Anyone interested? I have 12 bottles to choose from. Let me know.

Chris :-)
p.s we have till Feb. 20th to get the order in.

PM for you. Might be interested in trying some.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

*bump*

I'll get to work on updating the top with the wines folks will be bringing.

cjsiege

*bump*

InShadows

I have a maybe +1 right now.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

InShadows wrote:I have a maybe +1 right now.

Yes, yes, yes. But what WINE are you bringing???

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Hey guys, I'm out. Sister and niece's bday party is this date. I know you'll be having more fun, and certainly eating and drinking better than me!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

Still in, and my plus-one is probable, but she has to check her schedule or whatever (and is under a deadline in the morning so I'd rather not bother her at the moment).

I'm kind of at a loss for what to bring as a second bottle. Are we going to want any dry still whites? I have a couple fancy ones I could be convinced to bring.

Also, anyone passing by a Metro stop and could give a couple city slickers a lift? Or need we procure a Zipcar?

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

InShadows

cjsiege wrote:Yes, yes, yes. But what WINE are you bringing???

weren't there enough clues in my last post to derive the wine I'm bringing?

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings